GUILTY UK - Dr. Saman Mir Sacharvi, 49, & Vian Mangrio, 14, found dead, Reedley, 1 Oct 2020 *ARREST*

Doesn't look like it started today:

https://www.thelawpages.com/court-hearings-lists/Preston-Crown-Court.php

They're in court tomorrow, but it doesn't look like it's for trial, maybe a last minute delay?

Court 5 - sitting at 10:00 am
HIS HONOUR JUDGE ROBERT ALTHAM. HONORARY RECORDER OF PRESTON
The Judge will appear via CVP from Preston North End
SITTING AT 10:00 am
Custody Time Limit application

T20207513 KHAN Shabaz 04ZL2829720 LNCSM Crown Prosecution Service
deft by CVP.

For Mention

T20217108 SHAHBAZ Rabia F 04ZL2856820 LNCSM Crown Prosecution Service​

CourtServe - Live Court Listings

Doesn't look like it started today:

https://www.thelawpages.com/court-hearings-lists/Preston-Crown-Court.php

They're in court tomorrow, but it doesn't look like it's for trial, maybe a last minute delay?

Court 5 - sitting at 10:00 am
HIS HONOUR JUDGE ROBERT ALTHAM. HONORARY RECORDER OF PRESTON
The Judge will appear via CVP from Preston North End
Custody Time Limit application

T20207513 KHAN Shabaz 04ZL2829720 LNCSM Crown Prosecution Service
deft by CVP.

For Mention

T20217108 SHAHBAZ Rabia F 04ZL2856820 LNCSM Crown Prosecution Service​

CourtServe - Live Court Listings
What could be the reason of last moment Delay?

Trial delayed ?
I would only be guessing - it could be for any number of reasons, I can think of non-availability of judge, defendants, legal representatives, jurors, witnesses, or courtroom staff, or some last minute amendment, but would have thought they had time to bring that up before the trial was due to start. ??

I would only be guessing - it could be for any number of reasons, I can think of non-availability of judge, defendants, legal representatives, jurors, witnesses, or courtroom staff, or some last minute amendment, but would have thought they had time to bring that up before the trial was due to start. ??
Oh ! I totally agree, well judicial system is that mismanaged in the country.

From what I'm reading (I think) the prosecution must apply to extend the length of time someone can be held in custody before they get a trial. I don't think it's a defence application, but I could be wrong.

I think in this case the custody time limit is 238 days, and I think he was first remanded into custody on 9th October 2020, which would be 245 days.

"These limits must be strictly observed and can be extended by the court only in exceptional circumstances." Custody Time Limit Calculator and Ready Reckoner | The Crown Prosecution Service

Custody Time Limits, including coronavirus protocol | The Crown Prosecution Service

https://www.cps.gov.uk/sites/defaul...e/handling_cases_with_custody_time_limits.pdf

I haven't given it a thorough reading but linking for anyone who wishes to.

From what I'm reading (I think) the prosecution must apply to extend the length of time someone can be held in custody before they get a trial. I don't think it's a defence application, but I could be wrong.

I think in this case the custody time limit is 238 days, and I think he was first remanded into custody on 9th October 2020, which would be 245 days.

"These limits must be strictly observed and can be extended by the court only in exceptional circumstances." Custody Time Limit Calculator and Ready Reckoner | The Crown Prosecution Service

Custody Time Limits, including coronavirus protocol | The Crown Prosecution Service

https://www.cps.gov.uk/sites/defaul...e/handling_cases_with_custody_time_limits.pdf

I think he should be released, He is not proven guilty, “he could be innocent too” It’s a 50/50 chances .

I think he should be released, He is not proven guilty, “he could be innocent too” It’s a 50/50 chances .
Interesting.

I believe the crown prosecution service operates on far greater than 50% chance of guilt when making charging decisions. But I await to hear what the reasons are for the delay in proceeding to trial.

Interesting.

I believe the crown prosecution service operates on far greater than 50% chance of guilt when making charging decisions. But I await to hear what the reasons are for the delay in proceeding to trial.

Its my very neutral opinion. If 50% or 1% .
There is a chance.

Very astonishing!, On a trial date everyone came to know that trial wont be held .

Its my very neutral opinion. If 50% or 1% .
There is a chance.

Very astonishing!, On a trial date everyone came to know that trial wont be held .
We need a lot of patience at WS, waiting to find out the reasons for things like this, when local newspapers don't bother sending a reporter to find out what's going on in court. It's diabolical, a lot of them only care about sensationalist headlines, not so much the local papers though.

His custody date was 5th Oct 2020. so means 249 days .

He arrived at the address shortly before 11.50am on September 30 where he was expected to continue more building work, the court was told.

Moments later Dr Sacharvi sent an email to a colleague and was expected to join a Microsoft Teams meeting between 1pm and 4pm, but did not attend and the Wi-Fi was no longer active from about 1.50pm.

[...]

Both victims’ mobile phones were detached from the network later in the afternoon and Khan did not return calls to his phone as he left the house at 10pm, the court heard.

Later recovered from the crime scene were two small bottles of Blossom Hill rose wine and a small bottle of strawberry and banana Innocent smoothie bought by the defendant the day before the killings, said Mr McLachlan.

Tesco worker accused of double murder tried to blame girl, jury hears

Nuts! Surely added to to his Banana Innocent smoothie, imo.
Handyman accused of murdering doctor and her daughter, 14, tried to steer blame on to the schoolgirl | Daily Mail Online
''When the police and crime scene investigators entered the address they saw writing on the walls, continued the prosecutor.

Mr McLachlan said: 'The writing said things such as ''Covid 19 house my mum is evil'', ''Covid home'' and ''Help me''.

'It is the prosecution case that this was a cynical attempt by Shahbaz Khan to portray the relationship between Dr Saman and her daughter Vian Mangrio as a bitter one in order to steer the blame away from him. An attempt to put the blame onto Vian Mangrio for her mother's death.' ''

''Later recovered from the crime scene were two small bottles of Blossom Hill rose wine and a small bottle of strawberry and banana Innocent smoothie bought by the defendant the day before the killings, said Mr McLachlan.''
rbbm.

We can only guess as to motive but he arrived at the house just before midday, around the same time Dr Saman sent a work email, and she did not attend an online meeting one hour later. Her body was found in an upstairs bedroom and she died of pressure to the neck. It sounds like he probably made a sexual advance to her. I wonder if the wine was intended for them to share, it doesn't say whether it was opened or not. I wonder when the fuel container was filled, perhaps he kept one in his work vehicle.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back