TX TX - Alan White, 55, seen leaving LA Fitness, found deceased, Dallas, 22 Oct 2020 #4

I did speculate early on about the people Alan saw that morning at the gym. I questioned if police had reviewed the LA Fitness surveillance footage from inside the facility. Could Alan have agreed to meet up with someone from the gym? It could be under any pretense, such as meeting to pick up an item Alan had accidentally left behind.

I appreciate the insight on how locals might see this different than us out-of-towners. I just feel sick whenever I have to entertain the idea that a PD might not be doing things the way they ought to be doing things. If that makes sense?

jmo
Here is Dallas PD dashboard that can be refreshed daily showing current crime stats. They have their hands full, and little funding and personnel. You are right. We need to support their efforts and look for solutions.

https://dallaspolice.net/resources/CrimeReports/DPD_Call_Crime_Arrest_Dashboard.pdf

Amateur opinion and speculation

I have been trying to read up on the type of information that is contained on a SIM card. I'm sure there are many others here who are far more proficient in these matters than I am.

I did find it interesting that a SIM card can be removed from one iPhone and placed in another, allowing contacts, email addresses, banking information, and some texts to be seen on the phone containing the SIM card.
If Alan's SIM card was removed from his phone, it sounds like someone was attempting to access private information from it. Or perhaps they were hoping they could erase the phone's call history.

It's my understanding that even without the SIM card, the call history will still be available through the service carrier. Can anyone verify this?
Call history and SMS messages (via the cell phone network, rather than internet based messaging) would be available from the provider. The same is also true for any contact information, though without names (per warrant restrictions). Not sure what the purpose would be to remove the SIM card by a perpetrator other than the mistaken belief that it would hide a connection to them. Law enforcement would be able to get from the phone carriers all the handsets (IMEI number) that SIM card (IMSI number) was associated with and any other SIM cards associated with those handsets. Of course, it is up to law enforcement to actually pursue such information and request it in warrants.

Call history and SMS messages (via the cell phone network, rather than internet based messaging) would be available from the provider. The same is also true for any contact information, though without names (per warrant restrictions). Not sure what the purpose would be to remove the SIM card by a perpetrator other than the mistaken belief that it would hide a connection to them. Law enforcement would be able to get from the phone carriers all the handsets (IMEI number) that SIM card (IMSI number) was associated with and any other SIM cards associated with those handsets. Of course, it is up to law enforcement to actually pursue such information and request it in warrants.

Thank you for taking time to post this. Could the perp find valuable information from the SIM card...such as contacts, banking info, and text messages?

It's been a few days since I checked and we still haven't heard anything back from LE about Alan's COD or any potential suspects. I'm holding out hope we will hear something soon. It would be special to get an announcement during Pride Month....

It's been a few days since I checked and we still haven't heard anything back from LE about Alan's COD or any potential suspects. I'm holding out hope we will hear something soon. It would be special to get an announcement during Pride Month....
It certainly would, and would reconfirm the Department's commitment to the community.

I'm in UK and have followed Alan's case from the start. I'm glad he has finally been found and layed to rest but I wonder if the reason there is no COD is because after many months of his body being out in the elements they simply do not know? Any evidence would be gone or severely degraded by now. I do hope his family get answers one day. RIP Alan.

Edited for grammar

I wonder if the reason there is no COD is because after many months of his body being out in the elements they simply do not know? Any evidence would be gone or severely degraded by now.

It's possible, but I don't think so. The police and their teams, along with modern forensic methods, can discover methods of, and cause of death from years or decades ago, even after bodies have been exhumed.

It's possible, but I don't think so. The police and their teams, along with modern forensic methods, can discover methods of, and cause of death from years or decades ago, even after bodies have been exhumed.

Oh yes i know the police and forensics can find out all sorts of info many years later. But what I meant was; even if they did find out cause of death could they be certain it was Alan's doing or by someone else? For example if Alan committed suicide by hanging... If whatever he used for this disintergrated away and he dropped to the floor..months later when his body is found could they tell if it was self hanging? Or was he strangled by someone else?

Oh yes i know the police and forensics can find out all sorts of info many years later. But what I meant was; even if they did find out cause of death could they be certain it was Alan's doing or by someone else? For example if Alan committed suicide by hanging... If whatever he used for this disintergrated away and he dropped to the floor..months later when his body is found could they tell if it was self hanging? Or was he strangled by someone else?
Totally depends on the situation! If someone dies via ingestion of a toxic substance but drug paraphernalia is found nearby/they have history of use then they'd likely conclude it was self-inflicted/accidental. If someone dies via shot to the head, then forensic professionals can trace the path of the bullet and state if it could have been shot from the person's raised hand in a manner normally consistent with suicide, or if the angle indicates that someone else was responsible. In the case of a hanging death, if the body is fresh they could look for things like self-defense wounds, if the puddle of urine (your bladder often voids in a hanging death) is below the body or elsewhere which could indicate body was moved, and if post-mortem lividity is consistent with the hanging position or might indicate that post-death they were not like that. If only the skeleton remains, then you could check the hyoid bone in the neck; a self-hanging would have the rope right below the jawline, and the hyoid is less likely to be affected. In a strangulation, the middle of the neck is usually targeted and when pressure is applied, the hyoid bone is more apt to break. There would also be environmental signs at a scene like that i.e. does the body look like it was subject to gravity during decomp or like it was laying flat? are shoes/pants under the body like they could have fallen off? and is there a branch or structure above that could support a hanging victim even if the rope is since gone?

I sure hope that the police wouldn’t play games like that. Frivolous and disrespectful. What they announce should be timed in a way that’s best for the case—if there is a case.

My opinion only.

I sure hope that the police wouldn’t play games like that. Frivolous and disrespectful. What they announce should be timed in a way that’s best for the case—if there is a case.

My opinion only.

I didn't mean that authorities should, or would, do anything manipulative. I'm simply saying it would be nice if we could learn something soon, and if it came during Pride Month, that would be a meaningful irony.

Thank you for your info!

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant to post this article: Texas Grandmother Slain While Waiting For An Early Morning Gym Class In What Police Say Was Robbery Gone Wrong | Oxygen Official Site
Excerpt: "Only one hour earlier, police say the suspects attempted to carjack another woman just two miles away from the gym, according to ABC 13. The carjacking failed because the car was inoperative, and the woman ran to safety."

This happened just before 5 am.
I meant to post this article: Texas Grandmother Slain While Waiting For An Early Morning Gym Class In What Police Say Was Robbery Gone Wrong | Oxygen Official Site
Excerpt: "Only one hour earlier, police say the suspects attempted to carjack another woman just two miles away from the gym, according to ABC 13. The carjacking failed because the car was inoperative, and the woman ran to safety."

Wow, that sounds like something that could have happened to Alan. But then I think about where that opportunity could have happened after he left the gas station?
I still feel it was an encounter gone wrong.

Here is Dallas PD dashboard that can be refreshed daily showing current crime stats. They have their hands full, and little funding and personnel. You are right. We need to support their efforts and look for solutions.

https://dallaspolice.net/resources/CrimeReports/DPD_Call_Crime_Arrest_Dashboard.pdf

I would never suggest not supporting police. I simply know from experience of living here, that investigations have been handled poorly. Whether the reason for that is lack of personnel, training, oversight, etc...I simply do not know. However, I will say that DPD hires people that cannot be hired anywhere else in the area. Perhaps that is desperation, perhaps it's lack of vision. Again, I don't know. There are real reasons that questions might swirl in the head of locals. That is not to say I am against LE. I work directly with LE and I understand that public support is important.

I hope DPD is working hard and giving this the attention it deserves. I also hope they are being given adequate resources and personnel to do so effectively. I don't personally think quiet is evidence of dropping the ball. However, I do understand the fear of it.

I would never suggest not supporting police. I simply know from experience of living here, that investigations have been handled poorly. Whether the reason for that is lack of personnel, training, oversight, etc...I simply do not know. However, I will say that DPD hires people that cannot be hired anywhere else in the area. Perhaps that is desperation, perhaps it's lack of vision. Again, I don't know. There are real reasons that questions might swirl in the head of locals. That is not to say I am against LE. I work directly with LE and I understand that public support is important.

I hope DPD is working hard and giving this the attention it deserves. I also hope they are being given adequate resources and personnel to do so effectively. I don't personally think quiet is evidence of dropping the ball. However, I do understand the fear of it.
A well balanced, and thought provoking response post. Whatever is contributing to the spike in crimes, I hope can be combated before the city order further decompensates.

amateur opinion and speculation

<modsnip>

This is really interesting. Says they have footage of the suspects. Have they published any of this footage?

<modsnip>

I read this late last night too (Australian time) and immediately thought of Alan as the Headline said Texas. It wasn’t until I saw it was Houston that I thought “Oh it can’t be related” BUT What are the odds that these perpetrators are targeting early morning gym goers. Makes you think. IMO
I will have to go back to see if they mentioned the makes of the vehicles. Meanwhile I am so happy and relieved for Alan’s family that they were able to bring him home. He sounded like a wonderful Gent.

This is really interesting. Says they have footage of the suspects. Have they published any of this footage?

I think this answers your question about published footage of the suspects: the yellow highlighted words in the article mentioned in the the post you quoted are links. So about eight paragraphs into the article, click on the highlighted words “surveillance video.” It’s chilling.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BJarv
Back