Found Deceased UK - Sarah Everard, 33, London - Clapham Common area, 3 March 2021 *Arrests* #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exceptionally unlikely. So unlikely as to be essentially impossible. Police issue firearms in the UK do not go home after a shift and if an officer didn't return it straight after his shift there would be a massive search for him. He had a warrant card and probably a lot of other police paraphernalia on him. He would not have needed a firearm to abduct her.
There is an officer in charge of the armoury who signs all firearms out to the individual officers at the start of the shift and to whom the officers hand back into at the end of their shift . It’s an exceptionally controlled process and as you say, it’s impossible and it is. Even signing CS Gas and Tasers in and out is again a very controlled and tight process so as you say, the actual firearms are subject to even higher standards but all are quality controlled as is their allocation and return.

Absolutely. But what very unfortunate timing if so. She had been at a friend's place for 2 hours. I imagine she plugged her phone in there.

During lockdown, there was so very little to think about or do. I feel that for a lot of people, having a charged up phone was a lifeline and the battery life of your phone would have been a priority for many.

It was only 30 minutes after she left her friend's house, when her phone stopped having any signal. That would be one useless battery if it ran out of power right then - and such a horrible coincidence. Was her attacker was really right there, waiting to abduct her, at the exact moment when her phone died?

It seems most likely that she switched the phone off after her conversation with her boyfriend, probably to be safe going home and not wanting to be tempted to look at her phone

Perhaps, but perhaps not. I never take a charger for my phone if I'm going somewhere. It's not uncommon for my phone to be on its last legs if I'm out late.

I don't buy your theory that she switched her phone off - who does that? No one unless it's very low on juice.

Sorry but the wife saying this could have been an episode of manic depression (known now as bipolar disorder) is extremely stigmatising and wrong.

I work in psychiatry and I can tell you that people with a psychosis / mood disorder do not do this (in this example)! He has no history of previous episodes. An elevated mood does not lead to premeditated murder. Yes it can make one do bizarre things but not that!

He is a narcissistic misogynistic psychopath through and through and has no psychosis or bipolar disorder. He may feign symptoms of mental ill health to play the “poor me” card but he clearly had full capacity and was in full control of his actions at the time, and beforehand.

just my (expert) opinion

This, by the wheelbarrow full! If there ever was a case of Mad not Bad this is it.

It's just very likely - as a PP said, if they'd paid her, there would likely be a photo as well.

"Exclusive" only means that nobody else has interviewed her yet and the DM didn't buy the interview from an agency, but sent one of their own journalists to speak to her. Doorsteppping someone doesn't mean you conduct the whole interview on the doorstep, it just means a journalist knocks on the door as their first contact with her. Possibly she then invited them in.

The article is quite long but the quotes from her are actually pretty short - probably only 5-10 minutes or so of conversation, if you look at what's actually said, and the rest is padded out with context from the case. I agree she shouldn't have spoken to them. But if you've had no experience of the press before, and someone charming from MSM turns up at your door saying it'll make things better for you at the most traumatic time in your life... the DM should have known better than to exploit her at a moment like this.

ABSOLUTELY! This. In fact, I’d put money on it being done by phone - COVID times, plus it’s fairly easy to just bribe a friend or family member to hand over her new phone number then call and pose as a sympathetic, helpful advocate.
Many of the DMs journalists are freelance, or write for other publications on the side, so often they don’t even have to disclose exactly which publication it’s for.

I’ve given many quotes of this length (and longer) for features, and the phone call is usually all of 10 minutes, tops.

If they had a genuine, paid interview with her they’d be setting the terms, and that would include a photographer at the very least. The format is also very different for these features - they’d start out describing how tired she looks, what she was wearing, the price of the house that they’re interviewing her in etc. It would be much more personal and emotive.

Journalism is a deeply formulaic industry, and publications have specific style guides for how every type of piece needs to read.

If they’d genuinely paid her for a proper interview they’d have way more than a few pull quotes to cobble together and make half an article (notice how the rest is padded full of re-hashed stuff from elsewhere on their site).

What I see in that piece is a woman who’s had no voice throughout any of this, who’s had her life upended and her heart broken, and who just wants people to know how sorry she is. Should she have spoken? Of course not. But she’s traumatised and vulnerable and I suspect most of all would fall into a similar trap if we were going through the same.

Totally agree. But it’s not the time for her to be scratching her head to explain his actions- even though she abhors them. I know she’s suffering but mentioning that label as a possible reason for his actions is extremely damaging to people with that diagnosis and is extremely uneducated and flippant of her to say

Lets not forget in all of this that she is not British and English is not her first language. Language and cultural differences are perhaps significant here. I think that people need to stop and think before being first out of the gates with their criticisms.

Last edited:
I don't blame her, I blame the DM for publishing it. She's a woman who has had her world flipped upside down and is attempting to find reasons where there are none and she's got the DM still knocking at her door months later. The editor has chosen to include these comments knowing full well the the implications of how it casts people with BP.

It amazes me that people still buy the tabloid *advertiser censored*, quite frankly. It's utter, exploitative rubbish, quite frankly.

Absolutely. But what very unfortunate timing if so. She had been at a friend's place for 2 hours. I imagine she plugged her phone in there.

During lockdown, there was so very little to think about or do. I feel that for a lot of people, having a charged up phone was a lifeline and the battery life of your phone would have been a priority for many.

It was only 30 minutes after she left her friend's house, when her phone stopped having any signal. That would be one useless battery if it ran out of power right then - and such a horrible coincidence. Was her attacker was really right there, waiting to abduct her, at the exact moment when her phone died?

It seems most likely that she switched the phone off after her conversation with her boyfriend, probably to be safe going home and not wanting to be tempted to look at her phone

WC would have had to be outstandingly lucky for her to have turned off her phone (or run out of battery) moments before he chose to abduct her - because as a police officer, he would have known that tracking it would be one of the first steps in a missing person’s case. He would have *had* to turn it off.

So what’s more likely? He went to turn her phone off and found she already had? Or he made some semi-professional sounding excuse for having to take her phone, and ensured she couldn’t be tracked by it.

"KILLER cop Wayne Couzens was a twisted inadequate who used his trusted police uniform to conceal his “true sexual deviancy”, a leading criminologist said last night."

"Professor David Wilson, said: “In my experience of working with violent men, nobody goes from flashing to murder without there being intermediary offences.

“It would be very unusual for him to have done what he did to Sarah without having done anything else.”

“He has carried firearms and worn police uniform in order to be powerful, in control and to be trusted.

“He has cloaked himself in respectability and masked his true sexual deviancy.

“There has to be a possibility that he is responsible for other serious crimes."

"He was given the disturbing nickname “The Rapist” by some colleagues while he worked with the Civil Nuclear Constabulary before joining the Met in 2018. “Some women felt very uncomfortable around him. He was nicknamed ‘The Rapist’ because he was creepy.”

"The woman, who briefly lived with him at his two-bed basement flat in his hometown of Deal, Kent, said Couzens had drug and anger issues."

Sarah's killer used cop uniform to hide 'sexual deviancy', criminologist says

No way this was a paid interview. This was a doorstep quote grab by some sleazy journo who managed to get her guard down somehow. I guarantee, she got nothing out of this.

If DM had a paid exclusive interview you’d see glossy studio photos of her doing The Sad Face™️ they make everyone do, and the whole thing would be written as much more of a stand alone story. There’s a very definitely formula for this stuff.

Wife was exploited by them for this. She deserves our sympathy, not our contempt.

Definitely! The UK gutter press really are the lowest of the low. My ex was a journo (not the gutter rags, thankfully) so I know exactly how they work. Anyone who knew how they worked would never agree to speaking to them unless they were afforded editorial control which they would never grant.

That’s very weird. Telling someone he buried his Dad there when his Dad is still alive. Makes you wonder who actually is buried there if there’s a wood cross.
It is absolutely weird and creepy. Telling this he sounds like a madman :( Actually, it was reported he was behaving in a strange way during days before murder of S.

WC would have had to be outstandingly lucky for her to have turned off her phone (or run out of battery) moments before he chose to abduct her - because as a police officer, he would have known that tracking it would be one of the first steps in a missing person’s case. He would have *had* to turn it off.

So what’s more likely? He went to turn her phone off and found she already had? Or he made some semi-professional sounding excuse for having to take her phone, and ensured she couldn’t be tracked by it.

Perhaps unlikely- but it's possible he knew due to his job that a faraday cage/shield will also stop the signals from a mobile phone.

Perhaps, but perhaps not. I never take a charger for my phone if I'm going somewhere. It's not uncommon for my phone to be on its last legs if I'm out late.

I don't buy your theory that she switched her phone off - who does that? No one unless it's very low on juice.[/QUOTE

I agree. It is very peculiar if she switched her phone of voluntarily. And it is pretty odd for her to run out of battery.

If you were at a friend's house, might you not ask them if they had a charger? People do that in bars and coffee shops all the time. Your friend would probably be very happy to help. Totally agree about your phone dying if you are out late. But is 9 pm late, when she left home at 6pm? or, for the nit-pickers, perhaps an hour earlier?

Everyone who had a non-essential job at that time, was stuck at home working all day. With their chargers, phones and plug sockets.

I do think it would be unlikely, for an organised, sensible person like SE , to be at home, working hard in a very socially present business like events, with a phone with low battery.

If she did set out with a low battery phone, CCTV suggests that she was using her phone to listen to music on the walk tp her friend's house, I find it unlikely that she would do that if her battery were about to die.

She then spent two hours at her friend's house, who presumably had plugs/chargers. I just think it is hugely unlikely that she would suddenly think: "Goodness my phone has died" after the visit. She would known that she was low on battery when she arrived and then sorted it out.

Battery life of mobile phones, and by association, access to social media and, well, normal phone stuff, was on of the only things people could have any control over in a weird world at that time, back in March 2021.

Lord Justice Fulford considering a whole life sentence - this is behind a paywall but the top bit shows

Sarah Everard murderer Wayne Couzens may face whole life sentence | News | The Times

If you read the sentencing rules (which are statutory) and apply them to this case it's obvious that a Whole Life Order should be in the consideration of the court. I think that a 40 year tariff is probably the starting point for him. I'd not be at all surprised if the court arrived at a whole life order.

In reality, whatever he is given he's never getting out.

If you read the sentencing rules (which are statutory) and apply them to this case it's obvious that a Whole Life Order should be in the consideration of the court. I think that a 40 year tariff is probably the starting point for him. I'd not be at all surprised if the court arrived at a whole life order.

In reality, whatever he is given he's never getting out.

No mitigating factors really.
Aggravating factors: She was likely in distress for some time, the destruction of the body, the premeditation in the hire car etc, the potential abuse of trust in using his Police knowledge.

He's going no where.

WC thinks that by pleading guilty to all charges he will avoid the whole life tariff. He’s not admitting this because he’s remorseful, he’s thinking that if he takes responsibility that he will eventually be released one day. In the UK a guilty plea can be the difference between 30 years and 20 years. However, as he was a police officer in a position of trust in the community and violated that privilege I hope they throw the book at him and give him the max allowed by law.

Personally, I think the guilty plea is more the fact that he's trying to control the situation so that the very detailed facts of what he's done doesn't come out. He will know fine well that any guilty plea will do almost nothing to mitigate his sentence. He's an abhorrent human being but he's not stupid. I know you were just using it as an example but the notion that he might get life with a 20 year minimum is fanciful, quite frankly.

It's just very likely - as a PP said, if they'd paid her, there would likely be a photo as well.

"Exclusive" only means that nobody else has interviewed her yet and the DM didn't buy the interview from an agency, but sent one of their own journalists to speak to her. Doorsteppping someone doesn't mean you conduct the whole interview on the doorstep, it just means a journalist knocks on the door as their first contact with her. Possibly she then invited them in.

The article is quite long but the quotes from her are actually pretty short - probably only 5-10 minutes or so of conversation, if you look at what's actually said, and the rest is padded out with context from the case. I agree she shouldn't have spoken to them. But if you've had no experience of the press before, and someone charming from MSM turns up at your door saying it'll make things better for you at the most traumatic time in your life... the DM should have known better than to exploit her at a moment like this.

Well said. Absolute scum, quite frankly.

No mitigating factors really.
Aggravating factors: She was likely in distress for some time, the destruction of the body, the premeditation in the hire car etc, the potential abuse of trust in using his Police knowledge.

He's going no where.

Precisely. even if you accept the guilty plea as a mitigating factor it's massively outweighed by the aggravating ones. I think the starting point will be 40 years and that it won't end up lower than that. It may be increased by some years and a Whole Life Order is probably what he'll get. I think that that is perfectly reasonable, quite honestly.

Sounds like he's told family members a psychologist is working with him and "they" are looking at a multiple personality disorder. Where did that come from? Couzens? It's possible but more likely he just had a secret life. IMO

"The shock, horror and revulsion that Couzens’s family felt at his crimes was also experienced by friends and colleagues who thought they knew an average, nice guy.

It was part of Couzens’s carefully constructed image of a family man and dedicated officer, but beneath the surface there were indications of depravity.

Couzens used prostitutes at a downtrodden B&B in Dover, downloaded extreme *advertiser censored* and eluded capture by his policing colleagues despite allegedly indecently exposing himself in 2015 and again three days before he raped and murdered Everard.

Vitali Obukhov, his brother-in-law in Ukraine, told The Times: “A designated psychologist works with him. They are talking about a multiple personality disorder. He doesn’t remember what he was doing. And then, in some situations, he remembers and realises that he did it.”

Obukhov said: “He is a normal, calm person. A good dad, a conversationalist. Polite, tactful, well-mannered. He is a good family man. He always played with children.”

But one person who went drinking with Couzens said: “He was a bit of an oddball. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but he was strange.”

Wayne Couzens: what ‘Mr Nice Guy’ did was not human, says wife | News | The Times

That’s very weird. Telling someone he buried his Dad there when his Dad is still alive. Makes you wonder who actually is buried there if there’s a wood cross.

I think this says it all:
WAYNE Couzens claimed he “buried” his dad near where Sarah Everard’s body was found when his father was at home safe and well.

The murderer made the bizarre comment to Kieron Shepherd who saw Couzens “hacking away” with an axe in a copse three days after Sarah vanished.

You'd think he'd say it was his dog or cat, not his dad. That obviously would raise eyebrows (even if his dad had died).

Wayne Couzens told witness he buried his dad near where Sarah's body was found

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members