Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021 #2

I don’t trail-run, so I’m usually on neighborhood roads or paved (fairly heavily populated) running trails, but I never run with my phone. I hate the weight. I do wear my smart watch, which I can make phone calls with, and it can be tracked on my husband’s phone. I do also carry my car key fob in a tiny pocket in my shorts, if I’ve driven to my running site. So I don’t see anything nefarious or odd about leaving the phone in the car. Especially if he was wearing a smart watch.

I’m sure he felt safe with his running environment; I’m just so sad for him and his family.

I don’t trail-run, so I’m usually on neighborhood roads or paved (fairly heavily populated) running trails, but I never run with my phone. I hate the weight. I do wear my smart watch, which I can make phone calls with, and it can be tracked on my husband’s phone. I do also carry my car key fob in a tiny pocket in my shorts, if I’ve driven to my running site. So I don’t see anything nefarious or odd about leaving the phone in the car. Especially if he was wearing a smart watch.

I’m sure he felt safe with his running environment; I’m just so sad for him and his family.
His watch tracked routes but could not make calls.

I hope his family or Chris launch a public safety campaign about the dangers of heat, esp heavy exercise in the heat. It really could save a life.

Earlier I posted that I think Philip's body was found near where the water tank r and t letters were on this map https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=29796 (zoom into 200 percent). Now that the SF Chron posted a more detailed map, it could be where the dashed red lines meet instead, a little to the right of the r and t letters.

The North Ridge trail from where Philip was running goes north goes to the top of the hill where he was found and the trail simply stops (see Google maps satellite view). From the map above in the first paragraph it looks like a fence blocks a trail toward the north where he may have been able to get out. It is possible that Philip got to where the North Ridge trail ended and simply was trapped and could not find a way out. If that fence on the map is accurate, maybe that fence blocked his way out of the park.

When I look at the hill where he was found, I even think I see a lot of black poles that mark the fence shown on the map in the Google aerial photo---https://www.google.com/maps/@37.6876952,-121.9542778,62m/data=!3m1!1e3 You have to look carefully to see the series of black poles. The black poles extend in both directions when I scroll back and forth. It is possible seeing that fence that he was literally trapped on that hill with no way out.

So what is the fence? Well, I looked at the parcel viewer on the Alameda County website. The address is actually split into two parcels that EBRPD purchased from the Pooles in the 1990s. One is APN 941-2600-2-9. The other is APN 941-2600-3-3. One theory I have is that the fence divides the two parcels. I am hoping this is not the case, but I am troubled with the idea that Philip possibly could not get down off of that hill because of this fence which may have blocked him from getting out of the park. You can see the details on the Parcel Viewer if you search the Alameda County Parcel Viewer. The photos show the red boxes separating the parcels. It won't let me link to the looked up data but you have to search the address itself to find the information here Geocortex Viewer for HTML5 To me it looks like the fence runs east to west and is along the border separating those two parcels.

If the fence was not there, the path it blocked led to the driveway that exits at Dublin Canyon Rd here Google Maps

The house on the property at 11025 Dublin Canyon Rd where the EBRPD maintenance supervisor resides is downhill and shrouded by trees when I search that address on Google Earth. Philip may not have been able to see the house from the top of the hill, may have gone to the house and possibly no one was there, or perhaps the gates (I see 3 dots indicating gates) around the house prohibited him from getting to it. It is difficult to say what happened.

I hope the watch data may be able to provide details as to what happened.

Last edited:
Twice my husband and I have taken much longer walks than we planned when we set forth in preserves and lost our way. (our phone saved us.) Preserves are never well-marked, in my experience. There is a difference in wilderness areas and more park-like areas for recreation. What we need is more basic common sense. The ocean is dangerous. Wilderness can be dangerous. Summer heat is dangerous. In the end, there are consequences to our behavior. Not everything in life can carry a warning.

Twice my husband and I have taken much longer walks than we planned when we set forth in preserves and lost our way. (our phone saved us.) Preserves are never well-marked, in my experience. There is a difference in wilderness areas and more park-like areas for recreation. What we need is more basic common sense. The ocean is dangerous. Wilderness can be dangerous. Summer heat is dangerous. In the end, there are consequences to our behavior. Not everything in life can carry a warning.
True. Nor should it. Those who enter wilderness are generally not foolhardy risk takers. Sometimes risk involves unknowns you can't calculate. Like maybe getting bitten by a rattler. I come from a family that is risk averse. I am not so a gap in understanding exists. But I have learned to calculate outdoor risk by gaining intuition skills - something anyone who recreates in or close to wilderness a lot develops.

Sometimes, intuition and risk calculation can save your life. Sometimes not. But to err on the side of not fully experiencing the outdoors is not a reasonable alternative if you love it and need it to be whole as a person.

This loss is so tragic but he was doing what he loved. And there is some consolation in that.

He brought so many people of goodwill together. We need more of that. I will remember.

‘Life is truly fragile’: Family of Philip Kreycik speaks after body found in Pleasanton

Aug 5
The search for the missing East Bay father and avid runner came to a heartbreaking end on Tuesday.

A volunteer searcher found the body about a quarter of a mile from the trail that Philip Kreycik had charted on a fitness app for his run at Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park.

It’s still unclear how he got to this part of the park but police are hopeful they will find the answers as they continue to investigate.

Sgt. Kelly said the remains had on running clothes and Kreycik’s distinctive running shoes. He said there were no immediate signs of foul play.

The body was found under a tree on a ridge in a spot not readily visible from the sky or near the trail he was thought to be running on, Kelly said.

An autopsy is still being conducted to see if there was any foul play involved as well as cause of death.

During Thursday’s news conference the family confirmed the remains were of Kreycik, and thanked the community for the outpouring of support.

Philip Kreycik's family shares grief, appreciation for searchers

To Note:
Silacci said initially, authorities thought the location the body was found was about a quarter mile off the northernmost edge of Kreycik’s intended running route, but Thursday Silacci said it was found closer to a mile away from the route. Many of the searches were focused on areas close to the running route.

Philip Kreycik's family shares grief, appreciation for searchers

To Note:
Silacci said initially, authorities thought the location the body was found was about a quarter mile off the northernmost edge of Kreycik’s intended running route, but Thursday Silacci said it was found closer to a mile away from the route. Many of the searches were focused on areas close to the running route.
To me, where he was found is important to understanding his death, so thanks for this update. And knowing whether he ran in PR that day or not. Looking forward to seeing data from his smartwatch. Just seems so odd unless there was a severe injury or foul play. He was not where he was supposed to be. Why? MOO

To me, where he was found is important to understanding his death, so thanks for this update. And knowing whether he ran in PR that day or not. Looking forward to seeing data from his smartwatch. Just seems so odd unless there was a severe injury or foul play. He was not where he was supposed to be. Why? MOO
And things like this, searching using a plane, proved to be totally useless (and expensive I'm sure). Is this giving a false sense of search? In the end, it is as good as nothing.
upload_2021-8-5_16-35-50.png

And things like this, searching using a plane, proved to be totally useless (and expensive I'm sure). Is this giving a false sense of search? In the end, it is as good as nothing.
View attachment 307699
If he had been in the open on the landbank, it might have worked. I prefer not to second guess any efforts made. You never know what is going to work, even if someone carries a beacon, cell phone, etc. There is no completely fail safe measure. In the end, one strategy worked. Happy for that. JMO

Earlier I posted that I think Philip's body was found near where the water tank r and t letters were on this map https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=29796 (zoom into 200 percent). Now that the SF Chron posted a more detailed map, it could be where the dashed red lines meet instead, a little to the right of the r and t letters.

The North Ridge trail from where Philip was running goes north goes to the top of the hill where he was found and the trail simply stops (see Google maps satellite view). From the map above in the first paragraph it looks like a fence blocks a trail toward the north where he may have been able to get out. It is possible that Philip got to where the North Ridge trail ended and simply was trapped and could not find a way out. If that fence on the map is accurate, maybe that fence blocked his way out of the park.

When I look at the hill where he was found, I even think I see a lot of black poles that mark the fence shown on the map in the Google aerial photo---https://www.google.com/maps/@37.6876952,-121.9542778,62m/data=!3m1!1e3 You have to look carefully to see the series of black poles. The black poles extend in both directions when I scroll back and forth. It is possible seeing that fence that he was literally trapped on that hill with no way out.

So what is the fence? Well, I looked at the parcel viewer on the Alameda County website. The address is actually split into two parcels that EBRPD purchased from the Pooles in the 1990s. One is APN 941-2600-2-9. The other is APN 941-2600-3-3. One theory I have is that the fence divides the two parcels. I am hoping this is not the case, but I am troubled with the idea that Philip possibly could not get down off of that hill because of this fence which may have blocked him from getting out of the park. You can see the details on the Parcel Viewer if you search the Alameda County Parcel Viewer. The photos show the red boxes separating the parcels. It won't let me link to the looked up data but you have to search the address itself to find the information here Geocortex Viewer for HTML5 To me it looks like the fence runs east to west and is along the border separating those two parcels.

If the fence was not there, the path it blocked led to the driveway that exits at Dublin Canyon Rd here Google Maps

The house on the property at 11025 Dublin Canyon Rd where the EBRPD maintenance supervisor resides is downhill and shrouded by trees when I search that address on Google Earth. Philip may not have been able to see the house from the top of the hill, may have gone to the house and possibly no one was there, or perhaps the gates (I see 3 dots indicating gates) around the house prohibited him from getting to it. It is difficult to say what happened.

I hope the watch data may be able to provide details as to what happened.
If the google map location you have shown is accurate, then PK most likely was trying to return via the thick red arrow. This is not the gate used on the Strava 2019 route and the one which most hikers and runners use to access PR which is in the red oval. When PK was ascending he most likely made the mistake of coming up this route to the right of the Moller Ranch staging area (very easy to make this mistake), ran the loop, and then since he came up that route to the right he most likely felt he had to return by the same route not being familiar with the trail system and other options. CT/runspired reported that PK might have been walking up Mariposa Trail which indicates he was already in trouble trying to return. There are no gates and fences he couldn't have gotten over in normal circumstances. He was most likely disoriented and exhausted at that point on the descent from PR and couldn't go any further. EBPRD and the City of Pleasanton should work together on a plan to better manage this area for public access without any gates and with trail signs - this land belongs to the people. What I will remember from all this is what a wonderful and loving family and friends PK has like CT/runspired. PK was seeking to live not seeking to die. We are gifted by the Creator with free will and we are all accountable for our choices, but I feel so bad for all his family and friends especially his wife and children.
upload_2021-8-5_16-21-38.pngn

Sure - if you have a cellular watch (my next one will be), that's a good plan. Otherwise, if that extra 6-7 ounces is making that much difference to a person's running, I think that a common sense plan would be to stay on known trails.

I don't find it nefarious, I find it troubling. I'm not sure he "felt safe," and it's possible he wanted the thrill of the unknown. He told friends that the temperature range that day was at his "upper end" of what he thought he could do...

If he had been in the open on the landbank, it might have worked. I prefer not to second guess any efforts made. You never know what is going to work, even if someone carries a beacon, cell phone, etc. There is no completely fail safe measure. In the end, one strategy worked. Happy for that. JMO
I'm just concerned that we spend all this $ and time for search tool that may not be effective at all. An explanation is needed, as cases like this will happen again.

Not that I know of, but I keep reading in the ornithology literature that birds of prey and scavenging birds are both in steep decline in California (many theories, heat being one of them).
The thermal imaging can see through trees, it would have no doubt picked up the body. But it didn't (?)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back