Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #74 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have the PH days 3 and 4 tomorrow and Tuesday. What happens next? When does the judge make his rulings (trial and bond, right?) and when will we know those decisions? Will he make those determinations by the end of court on Tuesday or will he need time to review everything that has been presented and announce that at a later time? Is he likely to announce on Tuesday if and when the AA will be released? Sorry for the questions, I haven’t followed a case this closely before.

Interesting, IDK if they'll cover it in PM though.

But, I did continue listening and heard that LE stated to AM that BM refused polygraph and stress analysis tests early on, even though BM had told AM he had taken them.

BM is NOT smater than the LE, CBI and the FBI. His erratic actions early on, ie trash dumps, electronic reboot in his truck, not answering early calls from LE while driving back, his suggesting several possible scenarios, and his blatant lying to investigators have locked him up.

Another big question I have, why did Barry practically refuse to call 911 himself? He had a distinct aversion to getting his voice on the 911 call and his picture in the media. So, so strange.

MOO
As regards Barry not calling 911. I think it's in his nature, as a hunter, to take the time to understand his prey. The same is true for studying murdering husbands that went before him and were caught, if he didn't call the police he couldn't slip up by not sounding genuine. I know I always can't wait to hear the 911 call to pick apart the words and priorities and leaked knowledge. Same reason he was very reluctant to make an appeal on camera and made a complete hash of it. All MOO

I don't see anything cryptic about SM's tweets about Barry's secret life. After all, she acknowledged her own. I thimk it is simply her description about Barry projecting an image to the rest of the world that was different than his personal life with her and at home. Barry was all about making impressions, while ignoring reality. I think that is all that she was referring to. Didn't he even tell her he wanted to "look good" to others, or something to that affect? I think she was completely fed up with the hypocrisy...and the phoniness...and the double life was simply his unwillingless to face reality and change. Could be wrong of course...but thats what I think she was referring to.

I agree that "secret life" is simply BM's narc impression of himself that he's a
stand-up guy, good provider, excellent husband, and father that behind closed doors abuses his wife and manipulates his daughters to take his side.

I'm recalling the audio-only interview by BM where he told the reporter that they were a very faithful family that placed all their trust in the Lord .....

That secret life.

In January 2021 LS talked about GD.
He was also a volunteer firefighter, he heard the radio call about the bike being found. He told her he was the 3rd person on scene to see the bike.

At 4:30

If GD got there so quick then why didn’t Barry call him to check on Suzanne? He had to make GD believe his fake story too.

I'm several pages behind, but plan on catching up today. I have to be up with the rest of you by tomorrow morning!
Thank you @NoSI for everything. I thought of you often sitting through those long hours. Thanks for the updates and photos and your great firsthand timeline. Also thanks to @OldCop and @oviedo for your hard work and the great timeline. And everybody else for everything! I can't wait for tomorrow morning!

Yup should be interesting. It is fascinating to read everyone’s projections and personality assessments although their personal lives will be condensed to a few critical days I suspect and the realities that occurred with perhaps many unanswered questions unfortunately.

As regards Barry not calling 911. I think it's in his nature, as a hunter, to take the time to understand his prey. The same is true for studying murdering husbands that went before him and were caught, if he didn't call the police he couldn't slip up by not sounding genuine. I know I always can't wait to hear the 911 call to pick apart the words and priorities and leaked knowledge. Same reason he was very reluctant to make an appeal on camera and made a complete hash of it. All MOO
Thank goodness none of these guys are as smart as they think they are.

We have the PH days 3 and 4 tomorrow and Tuesday. What happens next? When does the judge make his rulings (trial and bond, right?) and when will we know those decisions? Will he make those determinations by the end of court on Tuesday or will he need time to review everything that has been presented and announce that at a later time? Is he likely to announce on Tuesday if and when the AA will be released? Sorry for the questions, I haven’t followed a case this closely before.
I think those decisions will be made immediately following the conclusion of the preliminary hearing, as that’s the way it was done in the last Colorado case I followed.

I fully expect the judge to conclude that the state has met its burden, and for Barry to be held without bond until trial.

As for the AA, I’m not sure if there will be another hearing, or if the judge will decide based on motions filed by both sides.

Either way, I expect we’ll see it in a couple weeks. The cat is out of the bag.

Classic narcissistic controlling behavior. Cut off the person from friends and family. Move as far as possible from family. Limit calls and visits. Discourage any friendships. Isolate and dominate.

"Cut off the person from friends and family. Move as far as possible from family. Limit calls and visits. Discourage any friendships. Isolate and dominate."

I'll add the words Damage then Destroy.

Suzanne had cancer at an early age. Life insurance premiums on her would have been exhorbitant. I am sure she didn’t have a policy on herself.
Barry stood to inherit all of her money regardless of a life insurance policy. He actually was able to accumulate quite a substantial amount of money after Suzanne "disappeared."

To me, it was even better than a life insurance policy. He didn't have to wait seven years for Suzanne to be declared dead or to place her body some place where it could be found, which would risk her COD pointing to homicide and back to him.

JMO.

Last edited:

While I've never viewed a preliminary hearing extending four days, typically, the hearing concludes with the Judge citing statutes for proof evident presumption great hearing, saying that the people have established probable cause in first-degree murder count and other charges. The Judge will order the defendant held without bond and ask the defense to set trial or arraignment.

Unless the defense waives arraignment, we should be able to watch BM's arraignment live pursuant to Colorado statute providing for expanded media coverage (EMC) for advisements and arraignments only.

Also, I expect the defense will probably motion for the AA to remain sealed and ask for a hearing to unseal the entire docket. (Hearing for the purpose to oppose and argue the release).

The Judge will probably rule to unseal the (redacted) AA after 7 days as stated in his last order, and if he hasn't read all 130+ search warrants, probably won't release them yet.

I don't think the State will oppose unsealing the entire docket but will defer to the court's decision.

MOO

Barry stood to inherit all of her money regardless of a life insurance policy. He actually was able to accumulate quite a substantial amount of money after Suzanne "disappeared."

To me, it was even better than a life insurance policy. He didn't have to wait seven years for Suzanne to be declared dead or to place her body some place where it could be found, which would risk her COD pointing to homicide and back to him.

JMO.

According to Former Detective Mains of Unsolved No More YT Channel, there are typically three motives in murders: 1. Greed. 2. Sex. 3. Revenge.

These three motives fit Barry better than OJs leather glove fit.

I think the judge will not make an immediate decision unless there is evidence and not speculation to come to support Suzanne being deceased. I think he will review the prosecution's case and the defenses case as given during the preliminary and then make decisions around the charges and what might go forth for trial. I think if it goes to trial he will release a heavily redacted arrest affidavit.

I don’t know what to make of it myself. I’m leaning towards him trying to win her back though, as he appears to have done the same things he always did (guilt her with suicidal threats, and then love-bomb her).

At some point he must have realized it was hopeless, and decided he was going to kill her.
The way it seems to work for the narcissistic personality is: "I have done everything I can to keep the marriage going by shaming and "guilting" my wife. I even threatened to kill myself but she doesn't seem to care. How dare she not care if I DIE? If anyone in this relationship deserves to die, it's her! I feel justified now - I'll kill her and look for another."

Classic narcissistic controlling behavior. Cut off the person from friends and family. Move as far as possible from family. Limit calls and visits. Discourage any friendships. Isolate and dominate.
In your professional dealings with criminals and suspected criminals, is it easy for you to spot narcissists and pick out their traits? It’s interesting how consistent and predictable their behavior is. They seem to repeat the same strategies: lies, projection, denial, gaslighting, etc.

If you were to interview a criminal who was much more intelligent than Barry, more sophisticated, more at ease, a better liar; then that individual would more likely be a psychopath?

The way it seems to work for the narcissistic personality is: "I have done everything I can to keep the marriage going by shaming and "guilting" my wife. I even threatened to kill myself but she doesn't seem to care. How dare she not care if I DIE? If anyone in this relationship deserves to die, it's her! I feel justified now - I'll kill her and look for another."
"And Suzanne trusted the Lord and if one person got saved from this, she would think it was worth it." So it was Barry who was "saved" from suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes