Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um hmmm. She wanted help and to get away from him. IMO

if she did, why did she tell the cops he didn’t hit her? She claimed he grabbed her face (not acceptable at all) but then clarifies he never struck her or hit her at all. Why wouldn’t she claim abuse if she grabbed the wheel to get away? Seems more likely they were both in a heightened mental state and were both acting erratically while in the van.
She disappears in a distraught state and never comes back…. So he doesn’t look for her or call the police? He doesn’t inform her parents, or report her missing? Instead he just takes her vehicle and presumably all of her belongings and forgets all about her. Does that seem realistic to you? He is engaged and lives with her, he had to know people would wonder where she was.

what could he say that that wouldn’t get people to think he killed her or is a monster? If he says “we got into another physical fight. She was hitting me and I tried to get away. We broke up and she took off. So did I. I don’t know where she is” who would believe him? Either way he’s getting called a monster, a killer, etc. if they are into true crime he knows the deal. I’m not defending him staying silent. Talk to the parents, at least. Tell them exactly where you left her. There are many things he did wrong here and many things he morally should be doing diffeeentlt. But i don’t think there is ANY statement he could make that would make anybody feel better.

If I thought my bf of 2 years was going to abandon me nearly 3000 miles from my home and family... in a van we had worked together to convert with plans to commit to travel in, in a freedom-loving but logical plan... I would likely have behaved the same as GP. (Call me crazy but that's my opinion)
Agree-especially at 22, add in exhausted, stressed and feeling like your person doesn’t believe in you. I’d imagine it’s an overwhelming & disheartening feeling.

Question… do we think LE handling the investigation of her disappearance viewed the Utah bodycam footage prior to it being made public this morning? What is the protocol there?

It’s taking me 2 hours to watch an hour long video because there are so many concerning/odd things I am observing. However, one thing I just saw really concerns me (again, this may have been mentioned already). The officer asks for his phone number. The audio is redacted for a while after that, but Brian takes his phone out of his pocket and looks at it while talking. I’m quite concerned that this phone is a prepaid phone he had just got and had to look at the phone to get the number. If so, if this was the only phone he had on his drive back to Florida AND, perhaps by the time warrants for the phone might be issued, the phone will be gone, I don’t see how they would be able to track his movement IF this was a prepaid phone and IF it ends up missing.

JMO
Could they potentially track it from the number he gave them in the video? Like, the carrier will know the MAC number of the device that the SIM card was used with.

There's also full-length footage on YT -
@StarryNight : Thanks for linking !

Bringing my posts over from the other thread :

1:05:25
BL says something indistinct but it sounds like he's saying 'rattlesnake' and fluttering one hand at waist length.
Is he talking about Gabby ? :mad:

Fwiw, I didn't think it made Gabby look bad.
Vulnerable, maybe ?
Her face looked swollen from crying. :(

6:10 BL says Gabby said to him while trying to grab the steering wheel, "I can't leave her again...."

Omg.
He'd driven off , and left her before !
Imo.

*censored words* :mad:
MOO.

Probably already posted. All 10 parts of video footage

PART 10 of 10: Body cam of Gabby Petito/Brian Laundrie Aug 12 Moab, Utah incident.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrianEntin
PHONES :
Part 8 of 10 shows him with his phone, then without a break in the recording, officer goes to vehicle she is in and she is holding her phone on her lap. So we know they both have phones.

if she did, why did she tell the cops he didn’t hit her? She claimed he grabbed her face (not acceptable at all) but then clarifies he never struck her or hit her at all. Why wouldn’t she claim abuse if she grabbed the wheel to get away? Seems more likely they were both in a heightened mental state and were both acting erratically while in the van.

what could he say that that wouldn’t get people to think he killed her or is a monster? If he says “we got into another physical fight. She was hitting me and I tried to get away. We broke up and she took off. So did I. I don’t know where she is” who would believe him? Either way he’s getting called a monster, a killer, etc. if they are into true crime he knows the deal. I’m not defending him staying silent. Talk to the parents, at least. Tell them exactly where you left her. There are many things he did wrong here and many things he morally should be doing diffeeentlt. But i don’t think there is ANY statement he could make that would make anybody feel better.

If she had wandered off why didn’t he call the police and report her missing the same day or the next day? You think driving away and leaving her with literally no way to get anywhere was the logical choice? He would have had NO REASON to think, “gee if I call the cops people will think I killed her or I’m a monster,” if she had just wandered off for some space. She would just be considered lost and they could start searching for her. Instead in the scenario he left her without any resources. If she had just wandered away, his lack of action is why she is probably dead now.

If I thought my bf of 2 years was going to abandon me nearly 3000 miles from my home and family... in a van we had worked together to convert with plans to commit to travel in, in a freedom-loving but logical plan... I would likely have behaved the same as GP. (Call me crazy but that's my opinion)

I would also call my mother and I would call LE with the information he was trying to steal my vehicle. I would also call 911 so there would be a record of my whereabouts.

Last edited:
The truth is none of us know what their relationship was truly like. But DV is tricky and outsiders often think they know who the crazy one is and a lot or the time it is wrong. I had a high school boyfriend who wouldn't allow me to have friends, he would push me, grab my wrists to prevent me from walking away (hard enough to bruise me) and say terrible things to me. Then when I would try to stand up to him in public, he would cry. Yes...cry - to make people think I must be crazy and the abusive one to make a GUY cry. People believed it. It was a terrible relationship. People are very good at pretending and playing the victim, sadly. It can be extremely believable.

I am seeing a lot of that in this thread, since the cops were called on her and she looked like the "problem". Some of the comments I keep reading that are shaming her and giving him the benefit of the doubt (he seems nice, not the type, he smiled and laughed, she hurt HIM) are just mind-blowing to me.

SHE is the one missing and he isn't cooperating with police. Point blank period.

My take on the police video. Note:

Here are a few things that set off alarms for me and/or concerned me and my reasons.

1. The police officer jumped when the van hit the curb -B must have hit that curb pretty hard to make an office jump like that. You can sense the officer is weary/concerned when approaching the vehicle.

2. B immediately attempts to explain why he hit the curb but he did not give a reason (excuse) G is quick to blame herself and say she was distracting him from driving.- B couldn’t come up with a good excuse immediately as to why he was driving so erratic.

3. Gabby’s first interrogation with the police she mentions OCD, cleaning the van and apologizing to Brian for “being in a bad mood.” She also mentions feeling stressed about building their website and her blog and states “he doesn’t think I can do it” and also states B was yelling at her while they were driving prior to being pulled over. - The fact that G is apologizing to Brian for her “mood” or feelings or apologizing for cleaning or being “OCD” (victims of abuse always feel they are at fault for their partner’s anger/rage/abuse. In this case I believe B was annoyed and mad she was cleaning and began verbally abusing her) By the way she says “I feel like I have OCD” we don’t know if she’s even officially diagnosed.

The fact that “he doesn’t think she can’t do it” shows he isn’t very supportive and likely puts her down (form of abuse).

Yelling at her in the van while she’s crying hysterically (verbal/emotional abuse)

4. The police officer goes back to B and the first thing out of his mouth “you spoke to Gabby?” - I feel he believed that Gabby mentioned him shoving her or mentioned the physical altercation they both participated in and so he immediately goes into protecting himself and creating his narrative. He mentions the physical altercation almost immediately (abusers are really great at minimizing, denying abuse and portraying themselves as the victim)

5. During his story he emphasizes quite often that they were going to take a walk and he wasn’t going to leave - I feel when B tells his story he’s only thinking about rebuttals of what he assumes Gabby told the police. He was threatening to abandon her there so he is trying to be clear that he only wanted space and wasn’t going to drive off.

6. B refuses water. -I feel he is incredibly smart and might have refused water to be sure no fingerprint traces or DNA. But in videos shows their “environmentalists” - so could be wrong!

7. B is laughing the whole situation off, a lot. - this is not a common or known reaction of a victim of abuse but that of an abuser.

8. When they are first pulled over and when B is being interviewed he keeps mentioning flies. As if flies caused all of this but he was very consistent, clear, and repetitive about her “losing it”, getting “worked up”, then jokingly calls her crazy (biggest red flag for me.)

9. An officer is heard saying G and B had visible marks except only B’s marks are mentioned in the report.

10. B figured out his excuse for hitting the curb, blame Gabby she yanked the wheel -lie. When G was asked about the curb she says she hit him to get his attention the police mentions B said she yanked the wheel then she says I might have for a second -victims are known to defend their abusers and/or are use to being gaslighted they question their own reality and believe the abuser’s versions of fights/arguments/abuse. B was in a fit of rage and was likely driving reckless.

All the signs were there the police officers just missed it. The police were kind and attempting to relate to both B and G but I feel they missed all of the warning signs. I so wish police officers were trained in DV. If someone with DV training was present they would have picked up on all the red flags and maybe the situation wouldn’t be what it is right now. IMO

You're making a good point imo. IF he killed her the stupidest thing in the world would be to drive HER van back alone. Based on his writing on IG he seems intelligent to me, so none of this is making sense.

If he killed her in the van, he would take it home to hid evidence. If it was not in the van, finding it sooner abandoned would start a search.

While she may very well just have been emotional and still rational its also possible she was extremely stressed full of anxiety and irrational, As a sufferer of anxiety my self, i find it rather concerning that people can watch that bodycam footage and still dismiss the possibility that she could have been or become very irrational prior to and after that traffic stop. Anxiety runs in my family, there have been multiple suicides in my family, My own brother was recently suicidal due to anxiety which luckily a new medication has done wonders to keep it under control.

Based on the evidence i do not know what happened to her after this traffic stop, I am certainly not implying i think BL is innocent, or that i believe she committed suicide. but one thing i do know is there were quite a few huge red flags in the way she was acting in that bodycam footage that i have seen personally in real life, i saw a person that needed to be monitored closely.

On the flip side, BL not talking at all is a huge red flag and he also did a bit too much awkward smiling and joking during the bodycam video but that could just be his personality, I see a young couple, stressed out that had been arguing, its possible to make lots of assumptions at this point.

My feelings after watching the bodycam footage are that he may be trying to protect her in some way for whatever reason. That’s the vibe I got from him throughout the conversation with police. He wanted to make any domestic charge against her go away and protect her, even going as far as to say he would go to jail for the night in her place if that were an option. Very interesting footage either way.

Going to jail for someone becomes a mighty manipulation tool.

I sincerely believe that BL was emotionally / mentally harmful to Gabby.
Notice how through out the video she takes all responsibility and he blames her - at times even saying "she's crazy". If you never been with a partner like this it's really hard to explain how absolutely maddening it can be. Everything is your fault even when you know it's not. They're the victim and everything becomes an exchange in their heads.
What can they get out of this?
Putting her bookbag out of her vehicle, keeping the keys to HER van and getting in while in an argument is implied theft and abandonment - that is also abusive.
It's no wonder GP was reacting how she was.

Gabby saying she just wanted him to stop talking was a huge red flag to me.
Words can be as violent as actions - but the victim doesn't get the excuse of self defense.

<modsnip>

If he murdered her. She's still dead, regardless of the car title.
If he left her somewhere and something bad happened to her. That still happened to her, regardless of the car title.
If she ran off. She still ran off, regardless of the car title.
The fact that the van has returned without her is the important point! That's what has happened. It doesn't matter if you call it "his" "hers" or "their" van. She's still missing and everyone would be just as alarmed in any one of those scenarios.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
So it is not okay to take her word and accept she suffers from mental illness, but it is okay to say he's a gaslighter? Alright then.
I understand your point.
And I think Gabby said she was having some emotional issues.
Maybe fear of abandonment ?

As far as gaslighting... BL's silence is very concerning.
No one did this to him, he's doing this every day to himself.
My .02.

If Gabby admitted to having issues herself, and I think she did (no judgment) .... all the more reason he should have made sure she was ok !!!
His silence makes it seem at best that he just drove off and abandoned her.
Just not cool no matter how I try to envision it.
I don't want to think about the worst scenario. :(

This case is so baffling and sad !!
Her poor family.
If it was myself and my dh -- I don't know if we could eat, sleep, go to work, anything.
Life would be a horror every day.

All they may have left of her is photos and her IG videos.
Imo.

When a police officer asks about your phone and you tell him you don’t have one it doesn’t matter one bit if it’s charged or not.
If he meant to communicate that his phone wasn’t charged it would be very simple to say my phone is dead.
He clearly said that he didn’t even have a phone and that was a lie. MOO

I too am curious about this. Wouldn't this be "providing false information to a law enforcement officer"? Wouldn't that be enough to at least bring him in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa