Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Then @ timestamp 21.00, the cop explains what the witness saw, stating " He never saw the male strike the female." then he stated that "She was trying to claw her way back in. She's trying to climb over him, he's trying to disengage. Everything she's saying is the same thing the witness is saying. He never hit her." Then the cop goes on to say "she's the aggressor."
Once again, IMO, this is just sad. It's sad for me to see how distraught Gabby was. You could see it on her face. Having said that, It doesn't matter if you're a 350 lb. linebacker playing for the NFL. If someone is attacking you, clawing at you and hitting you in the face with a cell phone, you have a right to defend yourself, and that's the only thing he did. I don't understand where the "abuse" everyone's taking about comes into play here. Yes, he was trying to lock her out to detach from the situation. If someone's attacking you on your front lawn, and you run in the house and lock the door to escape the situation, is that wrong? Not playing fair? What am I missing?
she was trying to get into her own house. He was trying to steal it, and everything she owned. He didn't "run into HIS house and lock the door".

I wonder if I will ever see a report where a man is "clawing" his way back into his own car. It would never be described that way.

Abuse? It is calculated, extremely demeaning abuse for a man "to "claw" a woman's face. I'd like to see him try that with a man his own size, or even a man HER size.

And then....well, there are several possible horrific scenarios.

It makes me shudder to think about that... I can see it being especially traumatic if a sexual crime was involved, and BL was present as a forced witness. I do not know what to think. I don’t believe that’s a likely scenario but I won’t discount it due to the reasons you suggested.

However, it would be extremely difficult to totally disconnect from your love for the victim at that point and not report it, help locate her body, and continue this horrific rumor-mill. He’s doing her, and himself, a disservice, if something like that was the case. And if it were my fiancé, I would never be able to sit on that information and let him sit somewhere either scared and alone, or abused and dead. I would step up to find and honor him. So I think that BL is a human being and he would not simply walk away from something like that and go silent. Especially because, if she’s found dead, he will be suspect #1 at this point due to his silence.

Don't go down a rabbit hole. They were not pulled over for speeding. This had zero to do with speeding. Officer Robbins merely mentioned it as they came into his sight. They were pulled over because of the incident at Moonflower.

The fact that BL was 3 times over the speed limit as LE saw the car ahead would not be a good look. It would have signalled even more so that something was wrong.

Had they been driving nicely, staying in the lane and keeling to the speed limit, LE would've thought the incident at Moonflower was just a witness exaggerating.

The fact BL was speeding adds another dimension to it, and re-inforces something is wrong.

MOO.

So true. As someone once accused of being bipolar by my ex- (for the purpose of portraying me as hysterical to people to score his own points for sympathy, and guess what, it worked) I also take exception to her being manic. She did not look manic at all to me. She was crying and upset but that is not what manic is. We don't need to hear about women being hysterical when they aren't and we don't need to hear about women acting "manic" when they aren't. Manic is the new hysterical. I wish all the speculation on her mental health issues would stop. All she really told the cops was that she was "OCD" which I understand people say all the time without actually being diagnosed with it, and that she has bad anxiety, which is somewhat common.

The police report said she never stopped crying and sniffing but we saw in the video that she did stop and was fine for awhile at least. That calls into question the whole tone of the police report IMO.
I've had a chance throughout the day to think about how the officers handled the situation - and, in particular, the one who did most of the speaking - and I'm disappointed.

She was not manic. She appeared defeated.

She was apologetic for her OCD tendencies, which is not a mental illness unless it is severe. And if it was severe, he would have known this about her because they had made a trip like this once before and he lived with her. A lot of women like things a certain way, especially when it comes to their living space, and that doesn't mean they suffer from mental illness.

When asked why she was crying, she told the officers that she was dealing with "personal issues". And I think at that point the officer speaking to her started down the wrong path in his effort to diffuse the situation. Personal issues do not equal mental illness.

Further, and it was hard to hear everything said, if you listen to what Brian said (and, I know, a bunch of people will say he's a liar and killer but...), he said he was going to lock the van up and suggested they both talk separate walks to chill out. IF that's true (who knows?), it sounded like he didn't have the opportunity to exit the van because Gabby wasn't having the going for a walk and, instead, climbed in over him before he got out and locked the van.

It’s clearly untrue that BL intended to both take separate walks when witness accounts report he was in the drivers side of the vehicle and she climbed through the window and over him to get to the passengers seat.

You don’t hang her book bag on the back of the van (so he was outside of the van) lock up the car and get in the drivers seat if you are intending to go for a walk to cool off. He’s downplaying his own actions at best. Lying at worst.

I’m curious as to why you think the couple being found away from the tent and partly nude reinforces that BL wasn’t involved?

For me, it raised serious possibilities. Especially when you consider they had been in the same place at the same time for 6 hours on 8-12.

And I cannot get BLs very keen interest in “Lullaby” out of my head.
Because IF he killed them, I believe the motive would have been fury at Kylen siding with Gabby....if she in fact did. I don't believe he is a rapist.
I'm not a fan of this connection in the first place.
But I'm waiting to hear more about LE's "not wanting to rule it out".

One thing I find interesting is the fact that Gabby was on the phone with her "parents" during the August 12th stop, but from all I have read here and in the media, I have not seen where her "parents" brought up this encounter prior to law enforment bringing it to our attention - does anyone else find this curious?

Yes the point is no matter how strained a relationship is, if you had any feeling for them or any connection whatsoever your initial reaction would be Oh no we need to get them help. Driving home lawyering up is a huge red flag. If you have absolutely nothing to hide then you wouldn't put her family through the stonewalling and unanswered questions. That's just not a normal human reaction, the normal reaction would be what can i do to help. The mind wouldn't even go to self preservation mode, something here is seriously wrong, and LE absolutely knows it. JMO
He could have had his Mom or Dad go to the police station and reported the bare facts of what happened. His girlfriend walked away angry/ snuck off one night/ found a new boyfriend/ left a note and said goodbye/ just disappeared/assaulted him and he drove away/ -----whatever it was that separated them. They could have provided LE with a location for the police to begin their search.

He could have lawyered up and not spoken---but at least given basic info of where to find her if she needed help. Because he didnt do so, it leads me to believe she is deceased. And he does not want her found until all the forensics clues are long gone. :(

If you listen to what Brian said, he said he was going to lock the van up and suggested they both talk separate walks to chill out.

Well, yes, of course he would say that to the cops!

Trying to make out like he's all "Yes, officer, oh, I'm all very calm and rational, officer"

When it actual fact he's speeding 3 times over the limit, zooming the car all over the lanes, hitting the kerb, and fighting his girlfriend off.

If he was that rational, he'd have pulled the car in, switched the engine off and stopped until things calmed down.

I am not convinced that he was the 'victim.'

I saw a cool, calm manipulative character, smoothly weaselling his way out of a speeding and reckless driving infraction by calling his girlfriend crazy.

I think he had been gaslighting her, threatening to leave her by the side of the road, alone, with no phone, no car or cash.
I think Rocky is accurate - BL certainly has character flaws based on what one can witness from the police video. Still very impressed with LE and how they worked hard to resolve the situation. Really impressed with the guy in the beard on how he was "coaching" the officer who made the final decision not to cite.

When you are 22 or 23 you still do dumb stuff.

You get in fights over nothing because you aren't experienced in relationships with partners to know how to not let things escalate, or your fight about things other than what you are fighting about because you can't communicate. Or you have expectations of what is a reasonable behaviour or course of action that is not the same as your partners. Because relationships are hard and you need to become more mature in life and communications before enduring life stresses.

Like trying to live on an unrealistic or untested income stream, and having to live 24/7 with someone in a tiny space.

Most of the time it means fights, tears, moving back to the parents or a friend for a bit, getting some space to re-think how the goals and dreams are working or not. Blaming each other, saying dreadful things, doing stupid stunts to try to get their attention.

But it's NEVER what appears to have happened here.

It never means leaving one person completely in a remote place while you take their safety and security away from them. Sure, you might need airline tickets to both get back to safe places, but you still never leave either person stranded and unable to contact help. You might be angry and walk or drive away. But you come back, just to make sure you're ok.

One thing I find interesting is the fact that Gabby was on the phone with her "parents" during the August 12th stop, but from all I have read here and in the media, I have not seen where her "parents" brought up this encounter prior to law enforment bringing it to our attention - does anyone else find this curious?
I saw other people post this too and I had closed captioning on when I watched it and did not see this. I kept diving in and out though. I saw Robbins say to her at the end take a shower, call your parents, etc. but did not see her on the phone with anyone.

Agreed. I'm not seeing where GP is anything more than just really upset, as one would be in that situation. It bothers me that the cops, BL and other commenters are using terms which are clearly hyperbolic and mischaracterizing. In my opinion.

She does have physical marks on her in the footage, too. She explains that he grabbed her face. That he locked her out of her own van and she was scared he was going to drive away and abandon her. And yet, everyone is acting like it's all her fault. She ended up taking blame for a lot of it, but that's often what women pushed to the edge in an abusive relationship do. I am not saying she's blameless but there's clearly more to this story and it makes me uncomfortable seeing her being portrayed as the sole instigator.

In some ways, she might have been better off if they had charged her with DV battery and had more of an investigation as to what really happened. Perhaps she'd still be alive. *sigh* Obviously there is no proof that she is dead, but there have been no signs of life for, what, 3 weeks now?

How Gabby came to be determined the "primary aggressor" is beyond me. If the following transcript, with direct quotes, is accurate, by BL's own admission, she was just trying to get the keys to HER van when he pushed her.

Police looking into murder of worker of co-op where Petito and Laundrie had fight | Daily Mail Online

The officer asks about the scratches on his face, with Laundrie explaining that there was an altercation involving her cellphone and their keys.

'She had her cellphone in her hand, that's why I was pushing her away,' he says.

'Coz I had the keys... I said let's take a breather and let's not go anywhere. Let's calm down a minute.'

He adds: 'And she had her phone, and was trying to get the keys from me.

'I know I shouldn't have pushed her but I was just trying to push her away to say take a minute step back and breathe. And she hit me with her phone.'

:rolleyes:

One thing I find interesting is the fact that Gabby was on the phone with her "parents" during the August 12th stop, but from all I have read here and in the media, I have not seen where her "parents" brought up this encounter prior to law enforment bringing it to our attention - does anyone else find this curious?[/Q
I think Rocky is accurate - BL certainly has character flaws based on what one can witness from the police video. Still very impressed with LE and how they worked hard to resolve the situation. Really impressed with the guy in the beard on how he was "coaching" the officer who made the final decision not to cite.
Not at all.

From the beginning, they have wanted the focus to be on finding Gabby. Everything else would be a distraction from that. They came forward so they could get people to look for her. In an interview on Fox and Friends First, he even said that he wanted people to investigate if they saw birds circling an area.

I saw other people post this too and I had closed captioning on when I watched it and did not see this. I kept diving in and out though. I saw Robbins say to her at the end take a shower, call your parents, etc. but did not see her on the phone with anyone.

I can’t figure out how to quote from a previous thread but this is the timestamp when I saw it in the video and I commented this earlier:

• “At 48:19 was the officer indicating that she was on the phone with her parents? So perhaps they knew about this DV incident on 8/12 prior to the disappearance? I had assumed they found out when it all came out publicly. But maybe they did know in advance, and maybe his parents did, too. Unsure if that could play any role, but I somehow made myself believe that this was news to them, too, (of course the footage is new to everyone, but they could have known before that there was trouble in paradise). Still, GP’s mom indicated that she didn’t want people to take that event too seriously (I think from press conference, can’t find previous link in thread about GP mom downplaying that as just a simple argument when they got on each other’s nerves).”

The officer opened the door and she was on the phone (had it up to her ear, she put it down to talk to him), they asked her to “answer very carefully” about whether she had intended to harm him, then closed the door and he said something like “you can get back to your call with your parents” (paraphrasing). Unless I misheard this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member