Canada - Coronavirus COVID-19 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect the 5 provinces, BC, AB, SK, ON and QC had situations in which they were opening up while the delta variant was getting a strong foothold.

NS, NL, PEI, NB, MB, NU, NT and YU didn't see spikes.

COVID-19 daily epidemiology update - Canada.ca

If government officials had listened to the people who voted for them, they would not have made such big mistakes. Trudeau led the way, to some degree, by declaring the borders open. I'm convinced that he made the decision for personal political reasons, since it coincided with announcing an early election.

Anyone entering Canada must be fully vaccinated, so I don't think we can blame international students for the uptick.

But yah, imaginary science fiction was indeed the basis for recklessly dropping public health precautions.

Being fully vaccinated does not mean one is not able to transmit/catch COVID.

Of course opening the borders to the world was a mistake because depending on the amount of COVID in their home area, visitors/foreign students could be carrying higher viral loads or variants that we do not have.

IMO, it was a foolish and rash decision.

Being fully vaccinated does not mean one is not able to transmit/catch COVID.

Of course opening the borders to the world was a mistake because depending on the amount of COVID in their home area, visitors/foreign students could be carrying higher viral loads or variants that we do not have.

IMO, it was a foolish and rash decision.

Yes, I agree. The variants of concern were imported. However, not only do foreign students need to be fully vaccinated, but also a pre-entry test is required at the airport. In addition, there was a post-entry 8th day test required, but that is no longer requested for fully vaccinated travellers.

It's not foolproof, but it does make it less likely that spread can be blamed on foreign students. It's equally likely that variants are coming into Canada via returning Canadians. More likely case numbers are rising because there is community spread which flourished when guidelines for preventing transmission were lifted.

If government officials had listened to the people who voted for them, they would not have made such big mistakes. Trudeau led the way, to some degree, by declaring the borders open. I'm convinced that he made the decision for personal political reasons, since it coincided with announcing an early election.

Yes, stupid election. Ugh!

I suspect the 5 provinces, BC, AB, SK, ON and QC had situations in which they were opening up while the delta variant was getting a strong foothold.

NS, NL, PEI, NB, MB, NU, NT and YU didn't see spikes.

COVID-19 daily epidemiology update - Canada.ca
First area in BC to show alarming spike was the Okanagan, in mid-August. Very few international students or international vistors head to Kelowna and Penticton. Instead, it's prime summer vacation spot for Alberta and BC families and younger people, who gather from different areas to camp and party at the lakes...there were also many forest-fire evacuees so restaurants, hotels were packed. IMO, it was mainly community spread among the unvaxxed, who brought it from the big cities.

IMO, Delta arrived primarily from Canadians with dual citizenship, who travel back and forth to visit extended family. Flights are still restricted to/from India.

This is bizarre - renaming known vaccines? That's like renaming small pox vaccine as little spots.

"With the full approval comes some new names for the vaccines, which Health Canada announced on Twitter Thursday morning.

Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine will now be known as “Comirnaty,” Health Canada wrote. Moderna’s, meanwhile, has been dubbed “Spikevax” and AstraZeneca’s will be called “Vaxzevria.”
Pfizer, Moderna COVID-19 vaccines get full Health Canada approval — and new names - National | Globalnews.ca

For the record:
  • Pfizer = comirnaty
  • Moderna = spikevax
  • AstraZeneca = vaxzevria
I wonder who came up with those names. Is this a spoof, or real?

This is bizarre - renaming known vaccines? That's like renaming small pox vaccine as little spots.

"With the full approval comes some new names for the vaccines, which Health Canada announced on Twitter Thursday morning.

Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine will now be known as “Comirnaty,” Health Canada wrote. Moderna’s, meanwhile, has been dubbed “Spikevax” and AstraZeneca’s will be called “Vaxzevria.”
Pfizer, Moderna COVID-19 vaccines get full Health Canada approval — and new names - National | Globalnews.ca

For the record:
  • Pfizer = comirnaty
  • Moderna = spikevax
Lol, they sound like names for venereal diseases!

For the record:
  • Pfizer = comirnaty
  • Moderna = spikevax

Very likely new Brand names for the annual/semi annual vaccine boosters we’ll need down the line.

How does triaging work?

"Phase 1, patients with life-threatening conditions such as severe dementia, severe burns, those who have suffered a massive stroke or are in a deep coma, may be denied entrance into the ICU.

Phase 2 ... Staff untrained in critical care would be widely deployed in ICUs.

People over 60 with poor chances of survival could be denied admission to the ICU. Only children with the most severe medical needs, such as organ failure, would be admitted to ICU under Phase 2.

Doctors would be asked to decide if patients who have been on machine ventilation for 14 days should be taken off life support order to give another patient a chance at survival, a decision that would be made with or without family consent.

A medical team would assess each patient in critical condition using a series of scoring systems focused on the patient's likelihood of survival.
  • In Phase 1, patients with an 80 per cent of probability of dying within the year would be denied critical care.
  • In Phase 2, those with a 50 per cent of probability of death within a year would be denied critical care."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/emergency-covid-triage-alberta-1.6178253

For the record:
  • Pfizer = comirnaty
  • Moderna = spikevax

I know it's bizarre right? And going to cause so much confusion. I don't understand the purpose.

The mob mentality that we see related to covid, with gangs of angry people pushing their views on others, is so un-Canadian. What happened to the laid back Canadian values? Who are these crazy angry aggressive people?

They are doing this under the guise of ‘protesting’ which is allowed in Canada.

I agree with you, they are breaking laws and nothing is being done about it. This happening all over, in Europe, Britain and North America.

Not sure about all Canadians being laid back but COVID has caused great distress to many, many families and individuals. Not just the illness but the stress, financial concerns, child care/schooling options etc.

Society is not better off for having to deal with this ongoing pandemic, no end in sight and inflation hitting us hard. Can hardly wait to see if the food supply chain survives the winter again.

Britain has food shortages, toys may not be available for the holidays and heating costs will skyrocket. Many lorry drivers are ill, costs to get items from the Far East have gone thru the roof etc.

Last edited:
Obviously, the vaccines/ masking/
restrictions hits some kind of deep nerve with a few people. I don't really understand it. Is it some attitude about their bodies being inviolate? Some kind of paranoia about government?

Look what you have to wear if you work in construction, or are a welder, or work in food services, or health care, or even in an office (panty hose!).

Just think what you have to go through to get a tooth pulled, or get tested for colon cancer, or have to get an IV, or develop diabetes.

You have to get a drivers license to drive a car, that's way harder than getting a vaccine.

What is all this wimpy nonsense?

Last edited:
Canadians can chose to do whatever they want as long as they do not violate the rights of others. They must respect the autonomy of others.

If people don't want to wear a mask or get vaccinated, no problem. They don't have to. If they want to enter a business where people are required to be vaccinated and wear a mask, again no problem. People who don't want to comply can take their business elsewhere.

It's the business of angry people making such a public spectacle of themselves, and demanding that their choices are more important than the choices of others, that doesn't sit well with me.

Universities in Alberta have mandated that double vaccines are mandatory for all staff and students in Jan 2022. Anyone who does not want to comply will be accommodated where possible, but the system will not change for those who do not want to respect societal decisions. That's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member