Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe TS has been an on and off again poster in different social media groups. I understand how he would support his friend as he has never seen or experienced the behavior in Barry rendering him capable of murder. What I would really like to know though is how does he logically explain away all the evidence ? Who does he think is responsible ? Just my thoughts

Every case I've ever followed, has at least someone, or several someones, that simply cannot accept the person they know/love, is capable of the thing they're charged with. I can completely understand that. I've had the unfortunate experience of knowing someone who did the unthinkable (not murder, thankfully) contrary to literally everyone's opinion that such person "could never, would never!" do such a thing. And yet, they did. Stuff happens. People do vile things sometimes and it's dang hard to accept that the person they thought they knew was indeed capable of doing the worst thing.

In such a case like this, I can only assume those still supporting Barry genuinely believe someone else, in some way, disappeared Suzanne. It really does take some serious logic juggling to explain away the burned journal in the fireplace, the Broomfield alibi, the staged bike, the trail cams being turned off the same afternoon Suzanne was last heard from, and the loads of other evidence.

jmo

Yeah. Well, you're not on BM's no contact list. I'll bet those people (and many others) feel the jeopardy the judge's decision leaves them in. It was so critical to this judge to protect the daughters but after laying out the damning evidence, he doesn't feel that way about SM's best friend, minor children of JL, and anyone else who has to live in fear for the next approx. 8 months. If it takes a body to get too PEPG, that's a pretty high bar considering the judge thinks he most likely chased & darted Suzanne with no mercy like she was not a fellow human, just another creature of prey.
JMO
Just as getting BM bail release is historical for E & N, it's also historical for the Judge. Again, OP's argument should be with the prosecution. Blaming the Judge for following the law makes no sense.

To be clear, this is very unusual for a defendant charged with Murder-1 to be allowed bail in Colorado. The only exception for bail is if the state does not meet the standard for PEPG. This means the Judge, trier of the facts, believes a jury could decide either way here. He stated as much.

So, the Defence’s issue with the AA is that it “reads like a tabloid,” and “it will decimate a chance for BM” to get a fair trial. Hmmm. This tells me we’re in for some salacious details! Midday Monday can’t come soon enough! Been many years since I’ve read a tabloid :)

The truth hurts. Barry made many mistakes. No reasonable juror will believe the SODDI scenario. It would require two staged scenes. I’m very confident the prosecution has a solid case.

I've wondered about that ever since he was charged with her murder. It certainly seems to present a GREAT conflict of interest to allow someone to retain legal guardian status over the very same person they've been charged with murdering. I can't see how that's even legal, in any sense. Maybe @Alethea or @gitana1 can shed some light on that?
I've not followed BM's guardianship to Colorado but in the state of Indiana, the Probate (guardianship) Court would have replaced BM as the guardian with either a court-appointed guardian or the alternate named in the initial petition.

I don't know if Conservatorship records in Colorado are open without a subscription service. I'm assuming they're not and probably why nobody tracking SM's conservatorship. MOO

Last edited:
Just as getting BM bail release is historical for E & N, it's also historical for the Judge. Again, OP's argument should be with the prosecution. Blaming the Judge for following the law makes no sense.

To be clear, this is very unusual for a defendant charged with Murder-1 to be allowed bail in Colorado. The only exception for bail is if the state does not meet the standard for PEPG. This means the Judge, trier of the facts, believes a jury could decide either way here. He stated as much.

I believe every trial has the expectation of a jury going either way. That is why the trial exists. No big aha moment for this judge. IMO

But it's the judge, not the prosecutor, who decides if PEPG was met. That's his judgment call. So ultimately my quarrel is with the judge. And if it shows I'm biased or unknowledgeable in your view, so be it.

Respectfully, when I post an opinion it is just that. Analysis of it is not required and why that happens almost every time I post is odd.

Our fellow Websleuthers can make their own decisions about my veracity without additional help. They are very bright people!

MOO

Anybody else wondering if BM would be allowed to bow hunt? There's more than one way to kill a deer. If so, more than chipmunks are in danger.

MOO
I wondered the same thing. Guns are disallowed, but what about compound bows and cross bows? They have substantially more leverage and precise targeting capability than a standard bow. Hunting cross bows have scopes, just like rifles.

Great post Seattle.

I wondered the same thing. Guns are disallowed, but what about compound bows and cross bows? They have substantially more leverage and precise targeting capability than a standard bow. Hunting cross bows have scopes, just like rifles.

Archery season has already started for big game, I think, and ends on Sept 30, IIRC. So he needs to hurry.

I keep thinking that if he puts up the cash himself ($500,000!), he's got to be burning through his approx. $3M pretty quickly. I bet he needs to top up his retainer (two different law firms now?) for the trial. The delaying tactics will begin soon, I think. Those will cost money, but Barry will likely want to delay trial as long as possible.

I also wonder how he'll make a living. I don't think the friends who are hosting MM2 will allow him to stay that entire time at their home. As much as they are supporters of the Morphew family, having press outside your door every time there's a hearing or because Barry does something that is suspicious...would be disruptive to family life. He needs his own place. Will Tailwinds rent to him again? I wouldn't - who wants their other residents subject to the intermittent media circus that will be Barry's life?

Sure, he's still got some money. Maybe a friend, one he knows well, happens to have a rental and will let him stay on the cheap, but will the neighbors be happy? Are people willing to destroy their own neighborly or family relationships for Barry, now that they know what he's capable of?

Who will hire him? And all the while, his feelings will be hurt by people staring askance at him. A few might mutter something. Or even shout something.

Hopefully the people that are worried about Barry coming after them take the opportunity this weekend gives them to get out of dodge. Barry is exactly the type of person that restraining orders are useless against. Rules don't apply to Barry. The fact that the ankle bracelet isn't GPS monitored 24/7 and only sends an alarm when he leaves Chaffee County tells me that that bracelet will be located separately from Barry at some point. Even the GPS monitored ones are not fool proof, but this seems like it leaves alot more opportunity for escape. Fotis Dulos' ankle bracelet was able to be monitored in real-time and it was, yet nobody was concerned until 10 minutes before his hearing was supposed to start because his bracelet showed he was still at home. There were even news reporters outside his house that suspected something was up when he hadn't left with reasonable time to get to court but nobody did anything. Many of us in CT got to watch everything happen on the news (before the videos were removed/edited) live, but yet he still managed to kill himself. Barry’s ankle bracelet does not give me any comfort and I hope the people that are scared of him don't take comfort in it either and do what they need to do to keep themselves safe. I think Barry will behave briefly to get people to let their guard down. I am most concerned for MM2. Suzanne said it herself, he is unstable and I doubt he got stable sitting in a cell. He has had ALOT of time to read the AA and start planning who will pay for their transgressions against him. I fear this judge is gonna end up with blood on his hands for these ridiculous decisions he has made. This is not justice. Unfortunately, the prosecution also failed in my opinion. If Linda Stanley is the pitbull everyone makes her out to be, why was she not front and center during the PH? Jeff Lindsey seems meek, why let him do 99% of the talking when we could see from previous hearings that he was no match to the defense attorneys? I am disgusted.
More likely they are going to try and remember what they said in interviews.

I've wondered about that ever since he was charged with her murder. It certainly seems to present a GREAT conflict of interest to allow someone to retain legal guardian status over the very same person they've been charged with murdering. I can't see how that's even legal, in any sense. Maybe @Alethea or @gitana1 can shed some light on that?
Just a guess but perhaps MM1 is in control of the family money. I think she rolled out early on Friday to start lining up bond $$. Just a guess but it would have been sensible of Barry to do that after the arrest.

It would send him to jail. Try it Barry……dare you.
That ankle bracelet is seriously the least of his problems. I would bet money he plays everything by the book. His attorneys are putting great emphasis on his history so they have probably laid down how this is going to play out the next 8 months. It is wishful thinking that he will screw up but I am not taking that bet.

Now that Barry has been allowed to bail out, he and his attorneys won’t care how long this takes to go to trial. I predict lots of stalling and jury pool tainting. So happy the AA is being release without the defense suggested redactions.

He'll run out of money at some point and those 3 attorneys are going to want to be paid in advance.

But I agree, he isn't going to care how long it takes to get to trial. But until he does, he stuck in Chaffee County
I guess he could gnaw off one of his rear paws, like a badger.

Although, if he waits till he's right at the edge of Chaffee County to cut it off with his new bolt cutters, he'll be long gone and untrackable...

But it's the judge, not the prosecutor, who decides if PEPG was met. That's his judgment call. So ultimately my quarrel is with the judge. And if it shows I'm biased or unknowledgeable in your view, so be it.

Respectfully, when I post an opinion it is just that. Analysis of it is not required and why that happens almost every time I post is odd.

Our fellow Websleuthers can make their own decisions about my veracity without additional help. They are very bright people!

MOO
^^bbm

Respectfully and IMO, for as long as OP continues to insist that their opinion over-rules the written law, I believe members will continue to provide factual information that disputes OP's argument.

Do you believe the Judge is violating the law?

https://www.coloradodefenders.us/wp...coloradobailbookpretrialrelease9112015245.pdf

When the proof is evident or the presumption is great that the defendant committed the charged capital offense, the court must deny bail. People v. Dist. Court of County of Adams, 529 P.2d 1335 (Colo. 1974).

The “requirement [of proof evident] simply goes to the proof of guilt, not to the kind of proof needed for the imposition of the death penalty.” Further, an offense does not cease to be a capital offense even when the death penalty may not be imposed. Corbett v. Patterson, 272 F. Supp. 602, 608 (D. Colo. 1967).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea Briann