Resolved NC - Asheville, UnkMale 43-57, UP65780, found in ravine behind school, Feb'18 - N/A

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Police say they received a call Saturday night around 5 p.m. about something suspicious in a ravine on the back side of Isaac Dickson Elementary School. When authorities arrived on the scene, they found what they believe to be human remains.

http://wlos.com/news/local/autopsy-scheduled-for-human-remains-found-in-asheville-over-the-weekend

Edit to add: On Monday, police said the remains had been identified as a male and that investigation would continue in the area where the body was found if the weather allowed.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/story/37...an-remains-found-down-embankment-in-asheville

“They are waiting for DNA results to release the man's name.” Guess they are still waiting on results? I couldn’t find an update on him.

I found a post from the elementary school from Friday, March 29th, but I can’t locate the year in which this was written; 3/29 only recently fell on a Friday during 2019. It sounded like the same incident except for the original (2017) news article states “a cyclist discovered the remains.”, the school post references remains found by “employees of the Metropolitan Sewerage District during survey work.”. Were there two separate sets of remains found in the same area a year apart?

Isaac Dickson Elementary School Update

ISAAC DICKSON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL UPDATE
Final Update: Posted on Friday, March 29th at 6:32 PM

Earlier today, Asheville Police Department notified us that they had found old human remains in the woods near Isaac Dickson Elementary School.

APD has now clarified that the location is even further away from campus than first reported. The location is west of the campus, in a wooded area in the vicinity of the intersection of Hill Street and Courtland Avenue.

The remains were found by employees of the Metropolitan Sewerage District during survey work. [...]

Initial Update: Posted on Friday, March 29th at 12:43 PM

Officers with Asheville Police Department have notified us that old human remains were found in the area of Greenlee Street near Isaac Dickson Elementary School this morning. Officers stated that the remains appear to have been there for some time. Employees of the Metropolitan Sewerage District found the remains during survey work. [...]

Thank you! I couldn't find anything else on either case. I don't guess they could be connected? (I'm not familiar with the area at all)
It’s likely based on the area they were found, the lack of LE concern, and lack of media coverage that both were homeless people, and probably presumed natural causes. :-( moo. I think we would have heard more if not. This is a fairly urban part of the area, with pockets of woods dotted around the city where there are small homeless camps and such.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

#UP65780
Date Body Found February 3, 2018
ME/C Case Number A18-255

Sex Male
Race/Ethnicity Uncertain
Estimated Age Group Adult
Estimated Age Range 43-57
Height 5' 6"-6' 2"(66-74 inches) , Estimated
Weight Cannot Estimate

Location Asheville, North Carolina 28801
County Buncombe County

Circumstances of Recovery Subject riding bicycle found remains down embankment.

Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only

Hair Color Unknown
Left Eye Color Missing Eye
Right Eye Color Missing Eye

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members