Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone confirmed that BL was physically SEEN in Florida between Sept 1st until the time he went hiding/missing (other than his parents stating he was in their home)?

No. Been discussed at length.
On this video?
Ya'll must have incredible vision because I have what is considered above-average eyesight and even on the best 1080p HD quality version of this video, I see nothing at 1:33, only at 1:40 does it come into view for me. LOL, unless there is another clip out there that you're referring to...?

The open door is easily seen. imo

What if they were in phone/text communication on Tuesday/Wednesday with a plan that they pick up the car and he’d let them know when he wanted a ride home, after his “hike”?

But he went silent on Thursday and they also noticed their gun missing so they called the attorney/cops?
okay that sort of answers my earlier question but it begs the question---they pick up the car with a plan for him to call after his hike. How does one keep a phone battery alive for that long? Are there other options besides traditional electricity?

You can have a case that’s larger then what’s in it.
My partner keeps his shaving supplies in a case like this (he’s a straight razor buff).
They aren’t exclusive for any specific use

What tells me it was probably used for a gun was LEs interest in it. They didn’t go through the whole car. They went in the trunk found the case and determined it was empty. It seemed like they were specifically confirming that.
And they are wearing bullet proof vests looking for him.
1+1=2
I can’t figure out if Brian has the worlds dumbest parents or smartest?
They are either playing a genius game of protecting him and planning a disappearance…..or wait 3 days to realize he and a possible gun are missing?

I'm wonder why GP's mom is dismissing the TikTok video. Seeing him on the 29th gives him a minimum of 2 full days (30th, 31st) and 2 partial days (29th/1st) to get to Florida. I've done 13 hour drives with my two young kids by myself in one day. A guy in his 20's running on adrenaline can certainly drive 35 hours in 2+ days. MOO

This cannot be direct quoted because it is on the previous thread that is now locked. But, I believe it is important enough to address so there is no confusion.
"Alethea -I can only speak for myself but I have never lost a client. I am actually concerned about the competence of his lawyer since his lawyer is not admitted to practice law in Florida and he practices REAL ESTATE in New York. So I don't know why he feels competent to advise a client in a jurisdiction in which he is not admitted in such a serious case involving a missing person. In much less serious matters I have recommended and facilitated a client hiring a local attorney who can help on the day-to-day issues in jurisdictions where I wasn't admitted or in cases outside of my core practice areas. Being investigated for a potential homicide is not the time to cheap out and call a family friend. And it's borderline unethical for the attorney IMO."

I respectfully disagree with this. While it is true that the attorney who made the statement appears to be from NY, his website clearly indicates that he is a general practitioner who yes, does criminal work. To the magnitude of what BL got himself into? Does not appear so. But he still does have experience in some criminal matters. In a crisis (for them) they called a trusted advisor (not cheap out), and I don't see anything particularly bizarre about this. Their atty friend would be in a position best suited through his contacts to find them local counsel. With respect to not being admitted in Florida, this appears to be correct. But, we're actually dealing with Federal law here too - law I know he needed to know or he wouldn’t have passed the bar.

As far as multiple admissions go, some attys are licensed to practice in multiple jurisdictions while others are not. The Florida/New York relationship presents a unique obstacle that is not widely known, unless you are an attorney seeking to be admitted in both states at the same time over a 3-day testing span. Because of the transient nature between the states, Florida and NY each make it much more (procedurally) complicated for someone to take both bars within the same time period. 1. The exams are intentionally given on the same day (or at least they were 30 years ago) forcing attys to choose which bar to sit for. If you choose NY, you have to wait for the next Fla exam date to go back and sit for it - a pain not worth it unless you actually plan to live there. 2. There is no reciprocity between the states as there is with some others, that allows for an attorney to waive-in after 5, 10, etc. years of practice in good standing. Additionally, people should know that attorneys appear in court out of state all the time through a process known as pro hac vice admission. So, the beat down on this guy isn't exactly accurate and it kind of loses the focus of the thread, imo.

oviedo - "Could not agree with you more - our lawyers never advise outside of their practice area. Maybe the first statement was ok but as soon as he saw this case turn - and most definitely by Friday when parents called LE- he should have told them to hire a FL bar certified attorney. JMO"

This last part I certainly agree with. I fully expected him to have someone else onboard if not completely taking over by the middle of last week.

Lastly, it had always been feeling/opinion/whatever you want to call it, that his attorney’s direction to him to keep his mouth shut was strategic more than it was self-preservation. His attorney was told what happened and realized his client’s best bet was to wait for LE to go for days with no solid leads hoping they’d then come to him with a deal for her location (MOO). For as unappealing as this sounds, I still think this is where his head was. He has a duty to zealously defend his client.

That said, he still should have handed this off by mid-week because logic dictates that leaving BL sitting for days stewing with the “I’m going to prison. It doesn’t matter how short or long. I’m going and my life is over.” certainly feeds into the decision to flee.

I know that you enjoy quoting my posts and pretending that I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm a federal practice attorney admitted in multiple states and federal district courts. I really have no idea what you're trying to say. Bar admissions are public. Being admitted to a state bar means you are authorized to practice law in that state. I passed the bar in one state many years ago and waived in to other states under admission by motion in the years since. I did this because I wanted to open an office in those states or I spent significant amounts of time in those states and I didn't want to worry about possible claims of unauthorized practice of law. If you purport to practice law in a state in which you are not admitted, that's the unauthorized practice of law. You don't get to just show up in state court in another state and litigate a case. During COVID there were mini panics because lawyers were working out of their homes (in one state) and not their offices (in another state). Many state bar ethics committees specifically addressed the outlines of unauthorized practice and it's clear that you cannot practice state law in states where you are not admitted.

Beyond the ethical rules, there's also the practical issues. Lawyers who regularly practice in a jurisdiction and regularly appear in certain courts have relationships with the court staff, other defense lawyers in the district, and the prosecutors/police.

Pro hac vice admission is in Federal Court and you need a local attorney to petition for you to appear. So again, no idea what you are talking about. I am currently admitted pro hac in the Northern District of Illinois for a case in Chicago but no reasonable lawyer alive would suggest that means I'm qualified to defend Chicago murder cases. I certainly wouldn't say I am. Part of being a good lawyer is understanding the limits to your competence and your absolute duty to ensure your clients get the best representation possible. That often means representation by someone other than yourself.

If it's your position that a Long Island real estate, civil disputes, and DUI lawyer is competent and qualified under the ethics rules to defend a Florida murder case, I guess we are just going to have to disagree.

--
Wait, do you mean 1:43-49 in the video?? Because 1:33 the van isn't even into view yet. I am just mainly seeing the angles of the black ladder on the back of the van, not really the back doors being slightly open and then shut.

No, it's 1:33 to 1:39. Enlarge the video as much as you can and then look far down the road. Watch the vertical black space on the back of the van. Slow it to 25%.

A few comments:

No parent is going to be A-okay with their 20 something child going off to kill themselves. They wouldn’t help him carry that out. I’m 99.9% sure they would much rather him be in prison than dead. I don’t believe they helped him plan his death. MOO

The NPPD saying they don’t know who the mustang is registered to could be to keep it from be vandalized by the mob outside the Laundries home. If it is Brian’s people may vandalize it. MOO

For those of you searching to see if the van door closes on the new video released….what do you think the significance of that would be? That Brian was there alone after an incident with Gabby? Or what? I’m not sure what would be the concern of it being open or closed. Just wondering. MOO

They certainly wouldn't be helping him plan his suicide! They would help in covering up a murder or disposing of a body!

Why do we need to know? Do we also need to know how much it cost, when it was purchased, etc.

IMO, it's private information and police can't go around talking about who owns what.

I second this. This is a genuine question and I apologize if it comes off snarky, but what is the significance of who owns the vehicle?

NPPD doesn't know who the mustang is registered to. Um, what? Are the police acquainted with Florida DMV?

I certainly hope that the only reason this would be true is bc the Feds took over. I hope for Gabby that these guys don't become anymore keystone cop-like than they've already made themselves out to be.

they seem more interested in stalling than helping, imho

It almost seems as though they want them to think he harmed himself in the swamp, but his body won't be found. Maybe the story will be that alligators must have eaten it.

JMOO

I wouldn't believe anything those parents say at this point.

Because they're in over their head & consumed with anxiety & panic about their son & not thinking straight. Because they knew if they reported him missing he would look even more guilty, and they have done *everything* in their power to prevent that from happening. And, who knows, he might have told them he just needed a few days by himself to get his head straight.....

I think their actions have done the complete opposite of trying to make him look not guilty, I understand lawyering up but I don’t put the lack of cooperation screams guilt. They refused to communicate with GPs family way before LE was involved, suspicious behavior. Their actions seem deliberate and with purpose and that sole purpose is to protect their son, nothing for the girl that lived with them for a year, was possibly going to be part of their family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard