Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to me that it all comes down to the medical examiner's report at this point. Obviously a ruling that her death was accidental, exonerates him completely, but an inconclusive ruling would have essentially the same effect. I truly hope that the Coroner is still able to determine cause of death with enough certainty, that a solid case can be brought against BL.

I can't see his parents getting charged. I am unable to remember any case where that happened. If they did somehow aid in his escape, they'll probably get away with it.
It appears from overhead shots of the crime scene, that she was partially buried in a very shallow way. Game.Over. No need to prove accidental if she was buried. That is proof enough that he was involved in her death, imo.

FBI: Human remains found in Wyoming likely Gabby Petito

LIVE Updates

Schmidt and Petito family lawyer releases statement after likely discovery of Gabby Petito
"I am making a personal request to members of the press and news media to refrain from contacting the Schmidt and Petito family," lawyer Richard Benson Stafford said in a statement Sunday. Due to today's developments, we are asking the press and news media to have some decorum and sensitivity for Gabby's family and allow them to grieve. I will be in contact with you when Gabby's family is ready to make a public statement."

"I would also like to personally thank the FBI, the Suffolk County Police Department, the North Port Police Department and especially the Grant Teton Search and Rescue team," the statement continued. "Your tireless work and determination helped bring Gabby home to her parents. The family and I will be forever grateful."

The statement comes as authorities located a body believed to be that of Petito Sunday.

The investigation is still ongoing and a cause of death has yet to be determined.

I really was giving BL and his family the benefit of the doubt for a while. I really thought there may have been a tragic accident where she fell off a cliff and he just panicked.

But seeing the tent on the side of the road on flat ground just out in the open? It is making me feel sick.

Yeah. I agree. I am just feeling heartsick over this.

Agreed. I don't think it's coincidence that killers often come form families who cover up and excuse the evil deeds of their relation.

Since LE were called & it was a DV incident on video, how much DV was GP potentially a victim of during her time of living in the BL household, not to mention during the trip? Had GP endured DV for the years she was with BL? Is DV something BL learned at home? If so, is his mom also a DV victim? (*Not* that it excuses BL or anyone in his family.) I wonder about the family dynamics. MOO.

So after they pass the van and come to the fork in the road, her body would have been far left of that area (thought maybe not at that exact time).
Thank you for sharing. IMO, the back door did shut. I think Gabby was alive at this time, in the back, and BL was in the front driver seat. I don't think he chose this spot ahead of time with plans to kill and bury her. I do hope we find answers, whatever they may be.

My heart is so heavy.

Sorry but I think most of you folks are missing it. Perhaps it's me. I don't think Brian killed her. Maybe I'm wrong. I think she killed herself. We will soon know the truth. But it does bother me how folks have so little compassion for the grief of Brian. It is sad. Everyone has an agenda. But sometimes life doesn't follow the agenda. Regardless, pray for Gabby, Brian and all parents.

….So why did he proceed to leave her body there, take her car (which wasn’t his) across country, ignore texts from her mother, have his own parents ignore texts from her mother, hire an attorney and then act like the most guilty person on the face of the earth?? Someone killing themselves around you isn’t illegal. Why did he not tell anyone?

They should’ve immediately placed him under surveillance,” said Ed Gavin, an expert in missing person cases and former acting chief of the New York City Administration for Children’s Services. “Immediately.”

They should’ve been all over him,” Gavin added. “The fact that they let him out of their sight, that’s a no-no. Time is of the essence with these investigations.”

“I think what I would do if I was running the investigation is ask for permission to [look at Schmidt’s phone] because you don’t want to alienate the family, you want to do it in as cooperative a way as possible,” former veteran FBI agent Oliver Farache said.

“You want to look at the phone, see if anything was deleted, see exactly what kind of conversation they were having and looking at the whole thing, not just the last few days,” Farache said. “And the history of the texts that mom exchanged and dad as well will give you a clue into the missing person’s mental state as well.”

One retired NYPD detective said keeping tabs on Laundrie was a no-brainer.

“You always have to try to build a case and if it means surveillance to see where he’s going or what he’s doing … then you do that,” the ex-cop said. “You don’t need a search warrant to surveil somebody.”
Handling of Gabby Petito case under scrutiny amid boyfriend hunt

You assume the info you hear is what the families heard. I assume you heard what I heard and that's what they felt they could tell you. But I think they all knew what happened. From the bodycam video, their you tube video, and the call from Christopher. They all knew. And they also knew why Brian wasn't talking. That's why they didn't arrest him. I've said before, I could be wrong. We shall see. But I believe he is actually the #1 victim in this. And he is paying the price.

Folks have shared here their pain from past experiences that affect their perpective of current events. Let me share. My brother committed suicide. Suicide has victims. Suicide is never pretty. Maybe she didn't kill herself but suicide is 2.5 times as likely as homicide from a statistical point of view. (I have posted a reference to this statistic from the national institute of mental health). I withhold judgment on Brian as I wish others on here would too.

Just for clarification:
Are you saying that you believe that GP probably committed suicide?
Who buried her body?

I'm curious too. That couple saw the van on the side of the road on the 27th.
A video posted online early Sunday filmed by family travel vloggers purports to show the van that missing New York woman Gabby Petito and finacé Brian Laundrie were traveling in around the time it is believed she went missing.
"We were going to stop and say hi, but the van was dark and didn't look like there was activity, so we just decided to keep going," Bethune said.

Nothing about the van, which they noticed while they looked for a campsite, struck her as abnormal.
Bethune said she spoke with Petito's mother, Nichole Schmidt, via FaceTime on Sunday. She said Schmidt thanked her for sharing the footage.

"We had a very good cry together from one mom to another," Bethune said.

She added she contacted the FBI at 1 a.m. Sunday immediately after she found the footage.
Family travel vloggers share video they believe shows Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie's van around time of her disappearance
No confirmation from the FBI. Apologies if someone has already answered - I'm having terrible connection issues.
If her information was in fact key to the discovery I applaud the FBI for being so on top of the tips coming in.

To everyone who thinks the Moab PD did a poor job, what outcome did you expect? A poor job would have been spending a few minutes to give Brian a ticket (potentially adding to stress and negative outcomes later), taking Gabby's word for it that she's ok and blowing off the situation as "just two people arguing". like many on this thread.

It was called in because it was two people loundly arguing with phisical contact, Gabby being pushed out of the van and having to climb back through the window. Imagine that in your head for a minute. It is not normal and it is concerning and to anyone with sense looks like a toxic problem. LE may have recognized things in Brian that they didnt want to provoke for Gabby's sake. and they did the right thing by separating them and leaving Gabby in posession of her belongings, phone and means of transportation.

But to your point, there is not one shred of evidence to suggest that BL killed her. None, zilch.
Just that he left the area in her vehicle without her. He drove cross country back home and wouldn't talk to authorities after a missing person's was filed by her parents. The van, her van, the one he drove alone back to FL, is documented as being right there in the area of her discovered dead body, on a certain night. That's it.. so far.

You know, I think as a society we need heroic victims and perfect villains. But life isn't always that way. My sense is this guy was an abusive, controlling gaslighter. But it appears that Gabby was not totally stable and resorted to violence in response to his abusiveness.

Frankly, I wish she had been arrested that day. It seems to me that numerous biases were at play on that occasion that led to Gabby not being arrested. I think had she been not as pretty and/or of a different ethnic background, she might have been arrested. I think if she was a man and not a woman, there would've been an arrest.

I mean yes, there seemed to be a good ol' boys thing going on. But the bottom line for me is she was not arrested and per the law, she should have been. Even if his emotional abuse and control "instigated" what she did.

And I can't help but think of the unforeseen consequences of failing to take domestic violence serious.

I believe Gabby would likely be alive today had she been arrested. She would have called her parents to get bail money. Then her family could've gotten more involved and have become aware of the nature of the relationship. She would have had a forced separation from the dude, that may have allowed her to clear her head. She may have been able to see the danger to her - her reputation, her record, her future - if she stayed with that guy.

Instead, she continued on the dark path she was on with the photogenic social media prop she was with, and likely no realization as to the serious danger he posed to her, until it was too late.

I fully concur.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member