Found Deceased FL - Jason Winoker 52, from Tampa, Springhill Suites, Tallahassee, 17 Aug 2021

More detail on the day’s events prior to Jason leaving the hotel room. Sounds like he was “agitated” for much of the day. I’m thinking the family had to walk on eggshells around him. JMO
Jason H Winoker – CUE – Community United Effort

Hmm…so it sounds like what set him off, in terms of agitation, was being told that he and his family could not move any of their daughter’s belongings into her dorm room early, and would have to wait until their assigned time slot the next day. So then it sounds like he became withdrawn, didn’t join in the shopping, went to bed as soon as they got back to the hotel, and when the wife and daughter returned from dinner, he kind of stormed out (trying to avoid sounding like I’m victim blaming, but…per his wife’s own account of events, and IMO, it does sound like he was in a bit of a snit for the rest of the day after being told NO by a university or dormitory administrator). Eggshells, indeed.

Wondering: If the eldest daughter and Mom went out to “visit” with daughter’s friend(s), and Dad was “sleeping” in the meantime, what were the other kiddos doing? (edited to correct my misreading of the account @slowpoke linked)

Last edited:
Hmm…so it sounds like what set him off, in terms of agitation, was being told that he and his family could not move any of their daughter’s belongings into her dorm room early, and would have to wait until their assigned time slot the next day. So then it sounds like he became withdrawn, didn’t join in the shopping, went to bed as soon as they got back to the hotel, and when the wife and daughter returned from dinner, he kind of stormed out (trying to avoid sounding like I’m victim blaming, but…per his wife’s own account of events, and IMO, it does sound like he was in a bit of a snit for the rest of the day after being told NO by a university or dormitory administrator). Eggshells, indeed.

Wondering: If the eldest daughter and Mom went out to dinner with daughter’s friend(s), and Dad was “sleeping” in the meantime, what were the other kiddos doing? How did they get their dinner?

It didn’t say daughter and Mom had dinner with the friends, did it? Just that they “visited” for a while. Just a guess—maybe they picked up food and ate it in their hotel room, then Mom and daughter went some time after that. JMO

It didn’t say daughter and Mom had dinner with the friends, did it? Just that they “visited” for a while. Just a guess—maybe they picked up food and ate it in their hotel room, then Mom and daughter went some time after that. JMO
My error, I re-read and corrected my previous post. Thanks for catching the mistake!

I don't really want to go this direction, but I’m curious if the heavily wooded areas around the hotel have been searched? Namely the areas behind the neighborhoods (references points) on Woodrich Drive, Stevenson Drive, and Old Augustine Road that flanks the Greenwood community.

I still think these heavily wooded areas need to be checked. I understand hiswife is concerned about abandoned buildings, but I also think accessible woods should be checked thoroughly.
Also, why was the delay of getting the daughter's items into the dorm room an issue for him. Work, most likely. Sadly his disappearance now, will be tied to the mention of being frustrated at his daughter's dorm move. JMO

What a sad situation.

I will say, reading the official FB comments by Jason’s wife did change my view of the case - and her explanations of the events (e.g., why not reporting quickly) sounded believable to me. IMHO, this sounds like an unfortunate mental health crisis - and I suspect Jason is likely deceased, sadly.

More detail on the day’s events prior to Jason leaving the hotel room. Sounds like he was “agitated” for much of the day. I’m thinking the family had to walk on eggshells around him. JMO
Jason H Winoker – CUE – Community United Effort
Interesting about the implanted defibrillator. I wonder how long he had that implanted and if a disruption to the battery had anything to do with his level of frustration. He would know that required a quick outpatient procedure thus causing missed work. Stress, agitation, anxiety is not good for someone with heart problems. Poor guy.

[A friend has one, her battery was fading one day and it zapped her. She had to undergo outpatient surgery to have a new battery put in.]

Interesting about the implanted defibrillator. I wonder how long he had that implanted and if a disruption to the battery had anything to do with his level of frustration. He would know that required a quick outpatient procedure thus causing missed work. Stress, agitation, anxiety is not good for someone with heart problems. Poor guy.

[A friend has one, her battery was fading one day and it zapped her. She had to undergo outpatient surgery to have a new battery put in.]

I saw that his wife said (on the Missing Jason page): “keep wishing his defibrillator had a tracking device.”

I was wondering about that, if it was somehow possible to locate him via the implanted defibrillator. So, that answered that.

thank you! I want to stay up to date on this, but I am not feeling great. I'll try to be around, I'm off to see details, as I'm near Tally.

Edit: WHOA! I'm very familiar with this hotel/area. Definitely picking my husband's head later!

Which hotel were they staying at? There are two Springhill Suites. One is at 1300 Executive Centre and the other one was 1481 Timberlane Rd.

snipped
Also, why was the delay of getting the daughter's items into the dorm room an issue for him. Work, most likely. Sadly his disappearance now, will be tied to the mention of being frustrated at his daughter's dorm move. JMO

I could be mistaken, MOO but it sounded like the move-in was already scheduled for the following day, but he wanted to drop off the daughter’s things before the assigned time, and was told no. I think that set him off. Maybe he thought he could make the university folks bend to his will, and not being able to make them agree got him angry. MOO

Having severe depression, his wife said he has had “bouts of irritability that came out of nowhere.” She thought this was just another one of those times.

I thought the same thing - where can he be?

Is it possible he didn't know that there were two Springhill Suite hotels? He may have been walking around and then decided to go back to the hotel by cab and got taken to the wrong one. If he was already a bit disoriented he may have gotten lost much further away than his original location. The other hotel is near a big freeway interchange that has lots of water features on a map.

Is it possible he didn't know that there were two Springhill Suite hotels? He may have been walking around and then decided to go back to the hotel by cab and got taken to the wrong one. If he was already a bit disoriented he may have gotten lost much further away than his original location. The other hotel is near a big freeway interchange that has lots of water features on a map.

Worth looking into—why not? Hopefully, they’ve checked transportation companies like taxis and buses. Uber and Lyft, too, I guess, although he didn’t have his phone.

Wife RW gave an update today 9/19, but no progress in getting the hotel’s security video. How terrible that the hotel can’t supply it due to not having the password (lost)! I wonder if it’s been overwritten by now. She’s written to corporate, and they said it’s one of their privately owned hotels, so they will not get involved. She is frustrated.

I don’t see why they can’t get some tech expert to help. As RW said, this isn’t a lost piece of luggage, this is a human being! Seems essentially worthless to have video being recorded if you can’t access it.

I wonder if his aggitation was normal or out of character for him. Is he having some kind of mental event? Or is he normally a hot head? His behavior does seem weird out of context. And why take the keys and leave the car? I mean, why have the keys to HIS car which was back at his house and not take the wife's keys and take her car?

I wonder if his aggitation was normal or out of character for him. Is he having some kind of mental event? Or is he normally a hot head? His behavior does seem weird out of context. And why take the keys and leave the car? I mean, why have the keys to HIS car which was back at his house and not take the wife's keys and take her car?

His wife wrote: “no, it was not unusual in the past two years for him to have bouts of irritability that came out of nowhere.” Two years apparently coincides with the “pretty severe depression” he has been struggling with.

Sounds like he was just used to carrying his keys in his pocket as a habit (his wife has said), so it’s probably why he brought his keys on the trip even though his key ring didn’t include the keys to the car they traveled in.

Maybe he brought his keys because he likes having the house keys with him (just making a guess that it was part of his keys.) Or, it just felt more secure to feel the weight of the keys in the pocket. I know for a long time I used feel like something’s missing when I didn’t carry my purse. I’d feel panicky for just a second, until I would remember I left it at home, lol. JMO

As far as college finances, I’m sure once the FAFSA form was finished, the school picked up the difference. Her grades likely earned her the FL Bright Futures grant. In state public college tuition isn’t that high. Housing & meal plans can be covered by grants and scholarships. So can books. If she chose a private college then she may have excess expenses but if they want that student bad enough, they’ll cough up money to make it happen.

My daughter goes to FSU, the school they were dropping their daughter off at, and I will attest that most in-state students get the Florida Bright Futures scholarship, which can pay full tuition, or at least 75% of it (depends on SAT scores, GPA and volunteer hours, and with it being so competitive to get into FSU these days, most incoming freshman come in at the 100% level). And many parents in Florida get the Florida Pre-paid College Plan, which lets you pay a monthly payment for a time period when the kids are young, so that it's all paid for by the time they are going to college, and if they had that, then they could've used Bright Futures to pay for her dorm and Florida pre-paid for tuition, and really not had any extra expenses. My daughter will be graduating debt free in December! So it's definitely possible. :)

Wife RW gave an update today 9/19, but no progress in getting the hotel’s security video. How terrible that the hotel can’t supply it due to not having the password (lost)! I wonder if it’s been overwritten by now. She’s written to corporate, and they said it’s one of their privately owned hotels, so they will not get involved. She is frustrated.

I don’t see why they can’t get some tech expert to help. As RW said, this isn’t a lost piece of luggage, this is a human being! Seems essentially worthless to have video being recorded if you can’t access it.

I'm really outraged about Marriott Springhill Suites losing the password to the security cameras. His wife posted a comment about this early on, on a TV station site, and I kept hoping that MSM would report on it so that we could talk about it here. I'm glad that she has written about it on the approved official site so it can be discussed now on WS. When his wife wrote the update, she included some of her correspondence with the corporate Marriott Bonvoy. I wish I could post it here, but I don't think that is allowed. If I'm correct, we can discuss her posts because she is the administrator of the site, but we can't post her comments in full. I urge everyone to read her comments at Log into Facebook

It is just amazing what she has been through trying to get Springhill Suites and the corporate Marriott Bonvoy to get a technician to access the security system. The police asked the hotel to turn over the footage 5 weeks ago, and there is still no progress. What I would like to know is why LE isn't putting pressure on Marriott -- I don't understand why LE is leaving it up to the wife. Surely LE would have the clout to get results. I have the feeling that if they ever do get into the system they'll probably find that it didn't record.

If I was a Facebook subscriber I would post a comment urging the wife to talk to the investigative reporters at TV stations and newspapers that serve Tallahasse and try to get one of them on the case. The hotel won't want the bad publicity. I am a major customer of Marriott Bonvoy -- I spend a lot of time at Marriott Hotels -- in fact, I'm staying at a Marriott Hotel right now. I'm going to send them a message telling them how horrified and disappointed I was to hear about how this situation has been handled. If enough of their steady customers write to them, maybe it will have an effect. Maybe a combination of LE, news reporters and customers could get through to them.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rhysiare
Back