Netflix - Elisa Lam

Second episode in on the netflix doc.
First of all the hotel manager I get a bad vibe from. There's something I don't like about her. Second did the police find out what floor she was on when she kept looking out the elevator? Did they interview the people on that floor she kept jumping out on? What were the complaints from the other girls she was bunking with it? What day did she fill the scripts and how many pills were left on the last day She was alive. I think she was talking to someone down the hall and someone was holding the button. Did they interview the girls she bunked with? Was she sexually assaulted and then forced into the tank? Was it about humiliation? They made her take her clothes off and threw them in the tank and she jumped in to get them, then the people closed the lid. I do think it was someone who knew the building so a long time resident or someone who worked there. Oh and what was the book about, the one from the book store? The amount of time and being in water diminishes evidence. Lots of crazy coincidences, I definitely don't think the metal rocker killed Elisa. I think it's stupid to connect him to it.
1. Yes the police did find the floor she was on
2. Im not sure if they interviewed the people
3. the complaints the girls she was bunking with gave was because of "strange behavior"
4. Also the lid wasn't closed it was cause the guy made a mistake the first time and said the lid was closed but then later he corrected it saying that it was open.

Wait if they used helicopters how didn't they see the body since the lid was open? Wouldn't they have seen it? Someone is being payed off or something.

My google earth skills are rudimentary. Here is an image. Perhaps there is an image taken of the roof, by google earth, in those 19 days and it can be cleared up enough to see the position of the lid? The only questionable area that I see is circled in red. I have no idea when this image was taken, but I think one can find out somewhere in the interface.

Of these 4 tanks, can anyone id the tank where she was found?
She was found in the top right tank.

I was wondering why I have not heard anyone talking about a non reflection inside the elevator door from the elisa lam elevator video. Especially from the youtubers or sleuths who have traveled to the hotel and discovered some great findings? Although I have not been there, and do not have any measurements from the elevator inside wall to the outside wall, where the push buttons are located in the corridor, it seems, in the theory of her being followed, or someone waiting for elisa outside that elevator, which as far as the netfix doc is concerned, was on the 14th floor, you do not see any reflection from anyone who would be in that corridor. It's like a aluminum type wall that you can clearly see reflections from. In fact, you can see elisas feet from it every time she crosses that threshold..You never see any other reflection the entire time that door was open. Not even when she walked away. It just seemed strange to me, why nobody has brought that up
If you are asking why in the EL elevator video there was no reflection and in Youtube videos of people going to The Cecil there was then I am pretty sure that they did some renovations after EL died since they are going to open back up in October. So the you tubers probably went after they renovated the elevators.

Wait if they used helicopters how didn't they see the body since the lid was open? Wouldn't they have seen it? Someone is being payed off or something.

IIRC, the lid of the tank was only partially open. You can look back in the early threads here and follow those developments. Her disappearance was followed here from early on.

While most people feel sad that EL tragically lost her life because of her mental health, I feel sad because I think she was on the way up and getting more confident of herself, but tragically became the victim of someone's mischief not amounting to murder (in my own deduction). I feel sadder that she is now forever seen by most people as just a mentally ill person who has lost her life because of her own mental state.

I feel the exact opposite. Mental illness is often not taken seriously, particularly when someone commits suicide. I feel sad that the feelings of suicide victims are tossed aside for more shocking explanations because people don't want to believe someone would do that to themselves. And in the case of deaths that were not suicide, not allowing for the explanation of mental illness encourages people to not take mental illness seriously. In the case of EL, I think she accidently killed herself, and it feels disrespectful to her memory to not accept that that could be an explanation. The situation is sad no matter what.

After reviewing this case thoroughly and watching the Netflix series as well I can say I've come to the following conclusions:

The lid on the tank: LA does not experience a true Winter like a lot of the states. The average temperatures around that time period she died would have been around 50-70 degrees. Therefore it would make sense that there would be a strong presence of flies around that tank and inside of it if the lid was open. I don't remember this being listed anywhere in the investigation or on the series. It is possible this was the case and it wasn't mentioned, but that would be a decisive indicator that the lid was in fact open post death. The fact that it isn't mentioned leads me to conclude the lid was closed post death and upon discovery.

This being said, I firmly believe Elisa could have opened this lid herself and have it close behind her all on her own. The lid was most likely made of tin/steel and was only about 16"x16". If the lid was only opened part-way for entry, it could very easily slam back down closed. This conclusion would also indicate that entry was not accidental. Many people speculated that she fell into the tank from the above structure next to the tanks. I do not believe that to be the case here. I believe the lid was closed prior to her entering the tank as well as after.

The elevator tape: There is a lot of mystery surrounding this tape. However many things have been resolved. It can be concluded that Elisa did press the 'hold door' button in the elevator, causing the door to hold open for close to two minutes. Therefore there was nothing wrong with the elevator. It was functioning normally. The tape is slowed down, and not the full tape has been released. I do not believe this to be malicious intent and the video was most likely slowed down in spots so that Elisa gets more screen time-in an attempt to help those identify her and jog their memories. Many people also claim that a second person's foot is visible at a certain point in the footage. I also believe this to be not true. I believe that foot belongs to Elisa and would be consistent with her movements and placement of that foot.

So then the true mysterious part in my opinion - why did Elisa press so many buttons? Why was she on the 14th floor? Why did she only press buttons in the middle column of buttons?

The middle column of buttons contains "14, 10, 7, 4, M, and B" followed by the "door hold" button. In this hotel, M stands for Mezzanine and B stands for Basement. Elisa stayed on the 5th floor during her entire stay at the Cecil, so why would she only press the buttons in this column? The fifth floor's button was located in the last or third column of buttons. This leads me to conclude that either 1. She wasn't trying to go back to her room, 2. She was not in a functioning mental state and could not decipher how to operate the elevator, or 3. She was attempting to 'stall' the elevator or be deceptive in some way. She hung out at the elevator for a couple of minutes, therefore number 3 doesn't seem like a viable option. Elisa stayed on floor 5, she was on floor 14. Her behavior indicates to me that she is either in a poor mental state or that she is paranoid. This could indicate she was doing something she knew she shouldn't be. The fact that she ended up on floor 14 indicates that she was attempting to go "up" from her room. There is no other known footage of her in the elevator system so it is possible she used the stairs to get to floor 14 and was attempting to go back down. Why she would do that is also unknown. Only one of the stairwells in the hotel had roof access, the one she headed towards after exiting the elevator a final time. It is also worth noting there is a 15th floor button on the elevator. This indicates that with a key, the elevator could access the roof as well. On the roof, There is a set of double doors that exits below where the stairwell access comes out. This I believe is the access door that leads to the elevator. I have not seen this mentioned anywhere but this could open up more possibilities. If foul play was indeed present, if someone had an elevator key, they could theoretically move her body to the roof using the elevator and avoiding the access ladders from the fire escapes. However, this would also have been caught on camera then. So either the hotel did a massive cover up (unlikely), or this simply didn't happen.

I do believe Elisa was searching for a way to access the roof. It is a possibility she climbed the stairs all the way to the access door and realized she may have set off an alarm. The door was alarmed and set off an alarm at the main desk of the hotel. Note this was not audible from the 14th floor. However, Elisa still could have panicked and thought that if someone was coming they would use the elevators. So in an attempt to 'stall' the elevator, she pressed multiple buttons which would delay how quickly the elevator got to the main floor. This theory is flawed though since there is multiple elevators. It is worth noting this could be why she appeared to be "hiding" and searching for someone outside the elevator. It is also possible that she was trying to gain access to the other elevator on that floor in order to also stall it. I could not conclude why she would only press buttons in the middle column vs all of the columns. After this in an additional effort to elude, she decided to go out onto the fire escape and head to the roof anyway. She then chose to hide in the tank she was found in. This theory is somewhat far-fetched but i do believe it is possible. I firmly believe she was attempting to elude something. Whether that be hotel staff, another guest, or someone else. Her behavior either indicates mania, or paranoia. She definitely appeared to be fleeing someone. It is possible however that it was someone only she could see.

Edit - Upon further reading I am unsure if the rooftop loft/attic can be accessed via the inside of the elevators. Another discovery is that the door at the top of the staircase inside the hotel can only be opened from the inside. It is known that Elisa did not have a phone on her when found so it is possible she became trapped on the roof. She might have explored every option to get back down and was too afraid to use the fire escape ladders. She eventually got to the water tanks and possibly thought they were an option back down, it was dark, and with no light source it is possible she didn't notice they were filled with water.

Last edited:
I just saw this story on ID-- if someone wants to commit suicide would they really go up to the roof and throw themselves in a water tank? how would that person even know the water tank was up there? No way do I believe she threw herself in that tank. This is certainly a bizarre case, another one that shall remain a mystery.

I just saw this story on ID-- if someone wants to commit suicide would they really go up to the roof and throw themselves in a water tank? how would that person even know the water tank was up there? No way do I believe she threw herself in that tank. This is certainly a bizarre case, another one that shall remain a mystery.

People that aren't in their right mind do illogical things.

People that aren't in their right mind do illogical things.

I get illogical, but it doesn't seem possible for her to have physically have gotten to that water tank----at least from the way the police were talking- I think a special key was necessary- she surely would not have had a key and access to the roof-- was that even possible for a guest at the hotel? there are many ways to kill oneself- throwing oneself in a water tank? I dunno about that one!!!

I get illogical, but it doesn't seem possible for her to have physically have gotten to that water tank----at least from the way the police were talking- I think a special key was necessary- she surely would not have had a key and access to the roof-- was that even possible for a guest at the hotel? there are many ways to kill oneself- throwing oneself in a water tank? I dunno about that one!!!

She very well may not have intentionally been trying to kill herself. But when you are drunk/high/improperly medicated then things happen. She could have accessed the roof from where she was at. Once on the roof all she would have had to do was climb up and into the tank. I believe they discovered that the tank seal had been left open the night she died.

Not sure if the program you watched was the Netflix one or not but you should watch the Netflix program as well as they do cover how it happened pretty thoroughly.

She very well may not have intentionally been trying to kill herself. But when you are drunk/high/improperly medicated then things happen. She could have accessed the roof from where she was at. Once on the roof all she would have had to do was climb up and into the tank. I believe they discovered that the tank seal had been left open the night she died.

Not sure if the program you watched was the Netflix one or not but you should watch the Netflix program as well as they do cover how it happened pretty thoroughly.

It wasn't the Netflix one- it was on Oxygen

It was easy to get on the roof, there are videos on Youtube about it, one shows two tanks open. It was a skid row hotel, I don't think there was much security. Here is just after they found Elisa, the tank had not been rewelded shut.

Here is a Youtube video where the person went up the fire escape to access the roof. There are two tanks open here. I think it was by the same youtuber as the other video

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back