Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would Gabby's parents now be able to access her bank accounts and other records now they have a death certificate? Would that have led to them reporting the theft to the FBI and them being able to produce the arrest warrant?
I imagine the FBI was able to get subpoenas for those records on their own, as There was probably enough probable cause to do so.

sure looks like it.

aside: some guy at a local NYC newspaper once went out and about using his wife’s debit card at several point of sale transactions at Walgreens, and discovered - drumroll - that none of the clerks cared what or how he signed vs who’s name was on the card. He said, ‘I signed wife’s name, I signed my name, I signed Mickey Mouse… nothing stopped my purchases.’ Similarly, once I left a friend alone with my card as I went to the restroom before jumping in the car… I got back, and he was sitting outside. He had signed his name under my card - in fact he showed me the customer copy, it was so - and no, he was not an authorized user on my account.

Honestly it's the same in Georgia. I can use my husband's bank card and he can use mine. You have to probably be married for it to be legal but I'm not even sure that's true. And no one in stores around here cares about ID anymore. I had all my cards stolen out of my car by some guy a year ago and he went to a mall and charged up tons of expensive sneakers (thousands of dollars worth) in mall stores with my cards. A guy using a card with a random woman's name on it and NO ONE cared. They just took the payments!

I think the days of people checking IDs are long gone. Wish that wasn't true, it just makes theft so much easier!

All MOO

Yes, this is important. It was at least $1,000. They did not disclose how much it was just that it met the statutory definition for this crime.

I think this was a good move because you do not have to have a long and complicated grand jury proceeding here to try to piece together a murder. You just present evidence that he illegally accessed her accounts. Grand Juries can take a very long time for complicated or serious crimes so I think this was their way to get a federal arrest warrant as quickly as possible.
I'm curious what the upper limit could be before they'd have to state another threshold? Like, just as an example, if $5000 is a different category of crime? I'm just wondering what the upper limit could be of how much he could have taken, since it's obviously more than $1k.

It explicitly states Wyoming and elsewhere. It likely did not happen within a federal property because the indictment cites interstate commerce as the reason they have jurisdiction instead of the fact that they were in a national park or forest.

Are they being deliberately vague when they say the credit cards were fraudulently used in Wyoming "and elsewhere"?

Is that to hold back some info, or simply not to reel off a list of other places he's used the cards in? I just wonder why they'd state Wyoming but not the other places if there are more?

I stepped away. And I have same question. That’s all they have after autopsy? i guess they were able to establish her time of death to be before Sept 1. Not allowed to use dead person’s bank account. But seriously, what if his argument is that he didn’t know she was dead? And he had her permission and was using it all along?

The coroner's office is going to be super-complete on the autopsy details.

They may have a very obvious cause of death already, but want to check toxicology to see if she was somehow incapacitated prior to her death.

I don't expect a report for a couple of weeks while they do an exhaustive workup.

But it's great that the loser BL gave them another felony charge of theft to issue the arrest warrant prior to the full autopsy report.

Let me preface this question by saying I’m 98% convinced the unauthorized usage charge pertains to Brian using Gabby’s credit/bank cards on his route home - but - could they have gotten this indictment just as easily if he used his parents credit cards? I’m just curious seeing as her name wasn't on any of the documents pertaining to the charge. Obviously the feds don’t have anything more to charge him with at the moment so it makes sense for them to try to get him in for questioning/holding anyway they can.

It is interesting that the charging document doesn't use her name. I guess I just assumed so when I wrote my short little summary...

But the press release attached to the indictment says it was related to the Gabrielle Petito case. If he used his parents' cards, it wouldn't be part of this case, right? Also, if he did have his parents' card, that meant he'd had it since at least 8/23 (when he 'returned' from Florida after 'cleaning out a storage locker'). Either they would have voluntarily given it to him or the charges would have likely encompassed more dates.

FYI, according to the government Fuel Economy website, gas would be a little
Let me preface this question by saying I’m 98% convinced the unauthorized usage charge pertains to Brian using Gabby’s credit/bank cards on his route home - but - could they have gotten this indictment just as easily if he used his parents credit cards? I’m just curious seeing as her name wasn't on any of the documents pertaining to the charge. Obviously the feds don’t have anything more to charge him with at the moment so it makes sense for them to try to get him in for questioning/holding anyway they can.
It is illegal to use someone’s bank account once they are deceased. Even if you have power of attorney, that ends upon death. Banks are under federal reserve laws.

Cousin of mine has issues when she used mother’s credit card to pay some of her mother’s bills after Mother passed. She had POA but that ended upon death. They made a big deal about it, I remember. Apparently, it is very important to go through certain procedures before even necessary bills (for deceased) are paid. So using his parents’ cards or anyone’s who are still alive as long as they did not report stolen would not hsve been an issue.

But, wow, that’s all they were able to do? I just looked up estimated Cost to drive average car from Jackson, Wyoming to Tampa, FL and I got around $700 so it’s not like he was draining her account to live high. It’s not a new van and easily could have needed something. He’d buy food and drink. Maybe tolls to pay. He was probably so used to using her cards, her van, her phone that it didn’t occur to him that the ride was over.

This will also allow them to look at anything and everything with their resources *IF* they didn't have a sealed warrant before.

To me, this says he immediately planned to run and hide. The FBI also knows what he bought, or if this was ATM transactions. ATM transactions would make it harder to track him down if he got cash. But, now all digital forensic resources can be used as well. What did he buy with all that money? Airline ticket? What is the rule for buying a ticket w/ cash nowadays? Has he figured out how to pay someone to get him across the border? If he bought stuff to go into "survival mode" somewhere, did the parents question or see it? WHERE ARE THE RING CAMERAS?? Does the neighborhood not have any?

I wonder if anything Brian has read anything that has influenced where he would go and what he would do?

This is taking an a whole "Don't f with cats" vibe.

This begs the question did he always have the card? When her dad ordered Uber Eats, and she had $1,000 in there, why couldn't she order her own. Maybe because she didn't have the card in her possession maybe she wasn't allowed to.
The power was out, she didn't have internet. Probably no way to look up the number for the pizza place, so Dad just ordered it for her.

There were 2 accounts listed and one card number. It's possible to take funds from more than one account with a single card (access device) and just take cash from an ATM. Purchases would impact only one account so I believe he used an ATM and made purchases. IMO
Yes, you can access more than one account from the same Card via an ATM if more than one account was linked to that card. (The ATM prompts you to select the Account for each transaction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa