Coronavirus Vaccine: Would you/did you get it? #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Problem is, by the time they do, there is no telling how many people they may have infected. Here is a quote from some very intelligent person on line

"Freedom is not a stand alone, absolute paradigm. We have thousands of laws and
ordinances that address the greater good for society's health and safety. Often unwritten are the additional moral obligations and responsibilities good citizens,
mature citizens self-invoke for their betterment and each of ours. Covid is a public
health crisis that is far worse than it needs to be because of those who feel no
responsibility to society."

That is why I do not buy the "personal choice" excuse/defense for not getting vaccinated.

You're perfectly entitled to tell me my post is worthless. :)

My opinion, like the one you expressed towards mine in your last sentence, still stands.

This "do it for society" has not done a lot of good IMO. I got vaccinated for myself, my family, my grandkids. Honestly. Maybe if and when it gets a little more personal for a few people, things will change. :)

Also, please cite your quote. ;)

All JMO

My grandkids are too young to get vaccinated. Short of never taking them off the property, its a bit hard to protect them from unvaccinated folks.

I seriously don't appreciate it.

I still stand behind choice. Even though I'm fed up with irresponsibility. For one, if you refuse to get vaccinated and die, I guess you won't be the one mourning your death. That's a high cost you're willing to make others pay on your behalf. But, your choice.
The problem with "my body, my choice" with infectious diseases that it's not really just about the un-vaxxed persons, considering their refusal to vaccinate spreads the diseases around. So it affects the population in general, not just the un-vaxxed. Right now they are overwhelming hospital systems, preventing people getting treatments for other issues, and so on.

You're perfectly entitled to tell me my post is worthless. :)

My opinion, like the one you expressed towards mine in your last sentence, still stands.

This "do it for society" has not done a lot of good IMO. I got vaccinated for myself, my family, my grandkids. Honestly. Maybe if and when it gets a little more personal for a few people, things will change. :)

Also, please cite your quote. ;)

All JMO

Your post is not worthless

COVID-19 natural immunity versus vaccination

“If you've had COVID-19 before, does your natural immunity work better than a vaccine?

The data is clear: Natural immunity is not better. The COVID-19 vaccines create more effective and longer-lasting immunity than natural immunity from infection.
  • More than a third of COVID-19 infections result in zero protective antibodies
  • Natural immunity fades faster than vaccine immunity
  • Natural immunity alone is less than half as effective than natural immunity plus vaccination
The takeaway: Get vaccinated, even if you've had COVID-19. Vaccine immunity is stronger than natural immunity.

"Natural immunity can be spotty. Some people can react vigorously and get a great antibody response. Other people don't get such a great response," says infectious diseases expert Mark Rupp, MD. "Clearly, vaccine-induced immunity is more standardized and can be longer-lasting."

They should be counted as among the percentage needed for herd immunity. Studies have already shown they carry a higher amount of antibodies than vaccinated and further studies have seemed to show they are more resistant to Delta.

Thanks to all the people who refused to get vaccinated, we've missed our chance at reaching herd immunity in the US

Reaching ‘Herd Immunity’ Is Unlikely in the U.S., Experts Now Believe

Excessive amounts of COVID 19 result in more and stronger variants, making herd immunity impossible. All the unvaccinated are doing is creating more opportunities for stronger, more resistant COVID 19 variants.

Because they’re not the same. The vaccine makes any covid infection much milder for the vast majority of cases and makes for far fewer cases of long covid. It also makes it more unlikely to mutate.

I, like you, was indeed vaccinated for smallpox. I have that nice round dime sized scar on my upper left arm. I’m sincerely thankful that I, like you, had that vaccine and did not have to suffer through smallpox itself to develop any immunity.

I’m old enough to have had the mumps and chicken pox. My cousin became deaf due to the measles.
My own children and grandchildren won’t have these diseases because they have the MMR. I’m profoundly grateful they’re immune due to vaccines rather than suffering through the disease first.

You’ve probably had the polio vaccine too. Again, I respect your right to refuse but I would guess you’re grateful that your parents made sure you had your smallpox and polio vaccines.

I knew kids growing up who had polio (before the vaccine) as well as friends and co-workers I met in my adult life. Polio is a horrible disease, with symptoms that persist your entire life. It not only causes paralysis, it causes terrible, persistent pain in it's victims. Pain that lasts for days, weeks and years, bad enough to send people to bed for days and weeks.

I'm so glad a vaccine was developed to prevent it. It's amazing that so many parents made sure their children were vaccinated back then.

Two well-known people who had polio as children and still suffer the effects are the singers Joni Mitchell and fellow Canadian Neill Young.

Joni Mitchell Library - Singer Joni Mitchell Has Crippling Polio: Star, April 11, 1995

Neil Young - Wikipedia

Neil Young on Concerts In the Covid Age: 'These Are Super Spreader Events'

Last edited:
I knew kids growing up who had polio (before the vaccine) as well as friends and co-workers I met in my adult life. Polio is a horrible disease, with symptoms that persist your entire life. It not only causes paralysis, it causes terrible, persistent pain in it's victims. Pain that lasts for days, weeks and years, bad enough to send people to bed for days and weeks.

I'm so glad a vaccine was developed to prevent it. It's amazing that so many parents made sure their children were vaccinated back then.

Two well-known people who had polio as children and still suffer the effects are the singers Joni Mitchell and fellow Canadian Neill Young.

Joni Mitchell Library - Singer Joni Mitchell Has Crippling Polio: Star, April 11, 1995

Neil Young - Wikipedia

Neil Young on Concerts In the Covid Age: 'These Are Super Spreader Events'
When the polio vaccine was first released it wasn’t safe. They actually gave children polio. It was a bit premature to give it to children.

Thanks to all the people who refused to get vaccinated, we've missed our chance at reaching herd immunity in the US

Reaching ‘Herd Immunity’ Is Unlikely in the U.S., Experts Now Believe

Excessive amounts of COVID 19 result in more and stronger variants, making herd immunity impossible. All the unvaccinated are doing is creating more opportunities for stronger, more resistant COVID 19 variants.
Because they aren't counting those with natural immunity they are presenting a false idea regarding herd immunity.

Because they aren't counting those with natural immunity they are presenting a false idea regarding herd immunity.

They counted everyone., especially those with "natural" immunity or those who think getting COVID 19 will protect them like a vaccine. I've worked for many years as a patient advocate in cancer research. Scientists are very meticulous about the data and groups they use in research to reach the highest quality conclusions. There are many statistical tools to measure accuracy and peer review will reveal any weakness in how subjects or data were selected and results interpreted.

The intent of this thread was to discuss whether or not you would get the vaccine. Period.

As it has devolved into general discussion and put-downs of those who choose not to, this thread is being closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase