TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
TW: mentions & personal stories of suicide, detachment from reality, psychosis

SRBM
Meg... what an absolutely beautiful post. I applaud you. And very much agree with the fact that being alone with our own thoughts is the most dangerous place for many of us. I know it is for me. Thank you for your well thought out and heartfelt post. It was a pleasure to read it.

Hi happyday!

So, a lot of people don't know this, but weed itself can for sure cause psychotic episodes, etc. I cannot smoke weed, period, it triggers massive anxiety within me and has caused depressive or anxious episodes that have lasted weeks at a time (absolute hell, for anyone wondering).

I wanted to be able to smoke weed because all my friends did and they were doing just fine! They loved it! But unfortunately, I have dissociative issues as well as severe anxiety and a history of depressive episodes, as well as a couple of suicidal/almost-killed-myself-but-got-very-lucky instances. Weed makes everything worse for me. I panic in a way that it spirals to be completely out of hand and out of control. If I was in Jason's shoes that night, and I was stoned, I would have almost certainly ended up deceased.

I did have a sort of mental break at 16 and it followed a night of heavy smoking. It was a dissociative episode that lasted for 6 months, with LOTS of paranoia involved. I hardly went to school. I brought a knife into the shower with me if I was home alone because I kept thinking that I was going to die soon or be killed by someone. It was one of the scariest things I've experienced, I know that for sure, but I do not recall very much of that time.

Apparently I'd wake my mom up crying hysterically that I couldn't remember my own name. And my parents didn't really get me help. They had no idea what to do with me. They figured I was being overdramatic or something. I feel like trauma has definitely impacted my ability to function 100% successfully and 'normally', but I am lucky nearly 10 years after that experience to be mostly healed from it and I haven't smoked weed in 3 years - I did try it periodically to see if anything would change, and no, it made my heart rate go to like 170 every time and I couldn't think straight.

Does Cannabis Cause Psychosis?

Over the past 2 decades, there has been extensive research on the association between cannabis and psychosis.

Modulation of the endocannabinoid system by the main psychoactive component in marijuana, Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol, can induce acute psychosis and cognitive impairment.

Carney and colleagues investigated the prevalence of cannabis use and its association with symptoms in participants at ultra-high risk (UHR) for psychosis. Across 30 studies (n=4205 UHR), there was a 27% current and 53% lifetime prevalence of cannabis use, and a 13% prevalence of cannabis use disorders (CUD). This corresponded to a 2.09-fold and 5.45-fold increased odds of lifetime use and CUD, respectively, in patients at UHR compared to n=667 controls. Furthermore, UHR cannabis users had a higher prevalence of both suspiciousness (ES=0.21) and unusual thought content (ES=0.27).

Johnson and colleagues11 conducted a large genome-wide association study of those who use cannabis (n=20,916) and controls (n=363,116). They identified 2 loci with genome-wide significance: a novel locus on chromosome 7 (FOXP2; OR=1.11, 95% CI 1.07-1.15), and a previously identified locus on chromosome 8 (near CHRNA2 and EPHX2; OR=0.89, 95% CI 0.86-0.93). Importantly, cannabis use and CUD were significantly, positively, and genetically correlated with schizophrenia in this study.

Szoke and colleagues4 meta-analyzed 29 studies of cannabis use and schizotypy (attenuated psychosis). Lifetime cannabis users had significantly greater scores for total (ES=0.42), positive (ES=0.44), negative (ES=0.18), and disorganized (ES=0.33) schizotypy versus never users. Furthermore, current cannabis users had significantly greater scores for total (ES=0.21), positive (ES=0.23), and disorganized (ES=0.27), but not negative schizotypy scores versus subjects that do not currently use cannabis.

For anyone wondering about schizotypal personality disorder (SPD), here is more information. My brother has it, so I feel comfortable speaking to it. It is difficult to witness your loved one go through paranoia and delusions. Here's some of the common symptoms -

Obviously I don't know if these symptoms describe any of Jason's behavior. I just wanted to provide some information regarding the fact that marijuana can definitely increase your chances of having a psychotic break of some sort yet people always say that it's good for "everyone" when it isn't.

No drug works for every person, and weed can indeed be a dangerous substance for those with mental illness issues.

Sorry for the novel y'all, this is just something I've thought about & researched extensively and wanted to let everyone know!
Thank you for that information Kelsie! You’re so right that weed by itself could have caused a psychotic episode. And I think it’s notable that Jason is at an age when some mental illnesses show up. I know that others have brought this up before in these threads too. And @Gemmie has posted about the girl who who had a terrible episode and ended up deceased in a briar patch. She only had weed in her system.

I personally don’t think Jason took off his clothes because he was made to and abducted. I also don’t think he stripped and took off to start a new life. Usually people take off all their clothes in public because of drugs or some kind mental break, and I think that’s true of Jason. That’s why I was so interested in the results from testing the marijuana but it still doesn’t tell us everything for sure. It really is a mystery still WHY he left what he probably was wearing in the road and disappeared. A head injury can’t be ruled out completely IMO, but it seems to have been a minor crash so it’s not my biggest theory. I do agree that weed by itself could have triggered something in Jason and led to his bizarre actions of getting lost, crashing, leaving belongings, including a live fish, in the road, stripping clothes and disappearing into the cold night.

Good point. And something else besides weed could have been consumed. We still don’t know. But had the weed in his bag tested positive for something hallucinogenic, it could have strongly pointed toward a drug induced psychotic episode. But since it didn’t have anything else in it, everything is still on the table IMO.
I feel this idea is a stretch- the weed is clean but he could have had another (altered) stash? Highly doubtful...but anything is possible. Haha, I just noticed what I did there, no pun intended!

ETA: I quoted the wrong post! And now my internet is weird- I was hoping for a conclusion here. Peace to his loved ones, my gosh. My cousin was recently found dead and I am really glad we can have a funeral. The unknown must be beyond comprehension.

Last edited:
Thank you for that information Kelsie! You’re so right that weed by itself could have caused a psychotic episode. And I think it’s notable that Jason is at an age when some mental illnesses show up. I know that others have brought this up before in these threads too. And @Gemmie has posted about the girl who who had a terrible episode and ended up deceased in a briar patch. She only had weed in her system.

I personally don’t think Jason took off his clothes because he was made to and abducted. I also don’t think he stripped and took off to start a new life. Usually people take off all their clothes in public because of drugs or some kind mental break, and I think that’s true of Jason. That’s why I was so interested in the results from testing the marijuana but it still doesn’t tell us everything for sure. It really is a mystery still WHY he left what he probably was wearing in the road and disappeared. A head injury can’t be ruled out completely IMO, but it seems to have been a minor crash so it’s not my biggest theory. I do agree that weed by itself could have triggered something in Jason and led to his bizarre actions of getting lost, crashing, leaving belongings, including a live fish, in the road, stripping clothes and disappearing into the cold night.

RBBM

Yeah, it was a few puffs, off a few joints, shared with 3 other people who didn't have any odd issues with the weed like Jamisha Gilbert did. I see a lot of correlations between Jamisha's & Jason's stories. One being people have repeatedly brought up that Jason couldn't have gone very far barefoot because of the pain that would cause. Here's my take on that along with a link to her autopsy report talking about all the abrasions to her feet and body. She made it a long ways if you consider the mileage it would have been with her running back and forth for hours (caught on video doing that):

TX - TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #4

RBBM

Yeah, it was a few puffs, off a few joints, shared with 3 other people who didn't have any odd issues with the weed like Jamisha Gilbert did. I see a lot of correlations between Jamisha's & Jason's stories. One being people have repeatedly brought up that Jason couldn't have gone very far barefoot because of the pain that would cause. Here's my take on that along with a link to her autopsy report talking about all the abrasions to her feet and body. She made it a long ways if you consider the mileage it would have been with her running back and forth for hours (caught on video doing that):

TX - TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #4

I looked her up and wow, I had never heard of her case before. Very sad.

Jamisha Gilbert’s death attributed to hypothermia
The medical examiner also remarked marijuana can lead to “symptoms including but not limited to paranoid delusions, auditory and visual hallucinations, and disorganized thinking.”

Isn’t he an audio tech major? A group that likes the ganja IMO pluswise it could of built up over time if he was stressed out and then caused a mental break. I feel so bad for his family and hope they find Jason soon!!
Jason Landry was your typical college student, said his father, Kent Landry.

The 21-year-old was finishing up his first semester at Texas State University, where he was studying sound recording technology

Texas Search and Rescue begins new 3-day search for missing Texas State student

and another....

UPDATE: Search for missing Texas State student continues, family offers $10,000 reward

"At the request of the Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office, Texas Search and Rescue (TEXSAR) will return to Caldwell County on Saturday, Oct. 16, for a one-day search for Jason Landry, a Texas State University student missing since Dec. 13, 2020.

The sheriff’s office said it will examine areas of interest along with TEXSAR identified through the use of artificial intelligence and geospatial tools. Resources will include search-and-rescue dogs and drones."

TEXSAR to return to Caldwell County in search of Jason Landry | kvue.com

I am so thankful they are doing another boots on the ground search for Jason.

I sincerely hope that he is found this weekend, and that we (or, at least, I) can finally put our suspicions aside if it's found not to be foul play.

This case has been so mysterious, and I hope, mostly for Jason's family, that we all get some answers soon.

Jason Landry: Crews use artificial intelligence to help search for missing Texas State student

"The Caldwell County Sheriff's Office said they will have search and rescue canines, TEXSAR Mounted Equine Searchers, drones and experts in man-tracking For the search-and-rescue operation off Salt Flat Road.

"I think they started with 4,000 to 6,000 areas of interest, and they've got it down to under 100, so that's enough to have the search teams go out and try to look at all of those at one time," Jason's father, Kent Landry, said."

Quoting my own post to say that I don’t want to blame or demonize weed or blame Jason for smoking it if he did, and I hope it didn’t come across that way. I have no problem with it and honestly I’d rather my college kids use weed instead of alcohol. But it is true that for some people it can be dangerous—like anything really. I went to bed last night feeling like I needed to clarify b/c in general I feel like sometimes marijuana gets blamed for things unnecessarily and we have no idea if it played a role here or not. But kelsie’s post is a good reminder that it can trigger psychosis in some people and since some was found in his bag it’s something to consider!

Quoting my own post to say that I don’t want to blame or demonize weed or blame Jason for smoking it if he did, and I hope it didn’t come across that way. I have no problem with it and honestly I’d rather my college kids use weed instead of alcohol. But it is true that for some people it can be dangerous—like anything really. I went to bed last night feeling like I needed to clarify b/c in general I feel like sometimes marijuana gets blamed for things unnecessarily and we have no idea if it played a role here or not. But kelsie’s post is a good reminder that it can trigger psychosis in some people and since some was found in his bag it’s something to consider!

And I'm often reminded that we're no longer dealing with our grandfather's weed!

As of June 2021, 37 states have legalized marijuana for medical use, while 17 states also have legalized it for recreational use. ( Texas is one of 13 states that has not legalized the use of recreational marijuana).

With regulatory taxes taking away from dealer profit, it's not surprising that a variety plus synthetic products have also hit the market in fullforce.

And understandable that authorities wanted to test the small amount of weed found in JL's backpack.

Is weed legal in Texas?

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/gracereadertv/status/1449370562602622979?s=21

Texas Search and Rescue alongside the Caldwell County Sheriff’s Office are continuing their search for Texas State student Jason Landry this morning.

Details: google.com/amp/s/www.kxan…

https://twitter.com/gracereadertv/status/1449398183092703239?s=21
We’re tagging along with the K9 team searching for Landry today. Story tonight on kxan.com and @KXAN_News.

View attachment 317629
View attachment 317630

Jason, I am overwhelmed by the sight of horses and riders out looking for you. Whatever happened that night, I hope they can bring you finally the rest of the way home.

May your family find comfort, amid the grief, in knowing that reinforcements have arrived.

Peace today to those who need it most.

JMO

Kelsie and others have added very useful commentary about mental health (IMO), and there’s something I’d like to add (sparked by a similar discussion on the Jelani JJ Day thread).

I think many of us conceptualize self-harm as a rational conclusion after a prolonged period of suffering when in fact many people describe their own suicidal thoughts as sudden, strong, and often lightly connected /unconnected to their present circumstances.

My own theory is still accident, but I don’t think it is unreasonable to consider self-harm amongst the other possibilities just because there were not “obvious signs”.

Mostly I hope he’s found today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members