TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think his fish tells the story.

Whether Jason was going straight home or eventually home, he intended to continue caring for his fish.

This was no masterful plan IMO to start a new life.

I suspect a serious of unfortunate events ending in tragedy...

We look to his car because we have little else to go on. If he'd taken just one different turn, there'd be a different story. And we wouldn't be studying batteries on floorboards and beta fish on the road.

I wonder what strange story of our lives our cars would say about any of us.

He was planning to go home.

JMO

If we were to go down the theory that it was staged in some way - and I have to stress that I do not believe this happened at all - it can't have gone as planned. I can't imagine anyone trying to crash a car like that or to stage a scene in such a way to make others think that he had died. Whatever was planned went off the rails.

There are far, far easier ways to disappear or to cut off contact. The Veta Belford case has come up in this thread - and I'm glad she eventually reached out to her mother to tell her that she was fine.

Someone else may remember the story of a girl being out in a car with her boyfriend and smoked a joint and she had such a reaction that she jumped out of the car, stripped all her clothes off and ended up dying from hypothermia. I wish I could be more specific so as to be able to point to her case but I just don’t remember much more than that. So it does happen.

Someone else may remember the story of a girl being out in a car with her boyfriend and smoked a joint and she had such a reaction that she jumped out of the car, stripped all her clothes off and ended up dying from hypothermia. I wish I could be more specific so as to be able to point to her case but I just don’t remember much more than that. So it does happen.

Jamisha Gilbert?
Jamisha Gilbert’s death attributed to hypothermia

If we were to go down the theory that it was staged in some way - and I have to stress that I do not believe this happened at all - it can't have gone as planned. I can't imagine anyone trying to crash a car like that or to stage a scene in such a way to make others think that he had died. Whatever was planned went off the rails.

There are far, far easier ways to disappear or to cut off contact. The Veta Belford case has come up in this thread - and I'm glad she eventually reached out to her mother to tell her that she was fine.

You are right. JL staging this himself makes no sense. If it were staged at all, I’d lean towards foul play. I’d be thinking he was never in the car at all, or it was a carjacking.

I still can’t completely shake the idea that he was either forced off the road, or he was walking, and then hit and run. But other posters here have made excellent points as to why those theories are unlikely.

The most likely scenario is an accident. He left the scene to get help, or to hide out / sober up.

What happened next is a mystery.

jmo

Yikes. I can't read the article you posted so Googled for another. I apologize if this info was in the article previously posted. As I said, I can't read/access it. Seems like there are some similarities but most notably (for me) the fact that it was just marijuana, no other drugs. So I guess just smoking pot can cause one to strip down when it's super cold outside, start running, and then burrow in an area so deep it forced rescuers to use chainsaws to get her out. Which makes me wonder... were areas not checked in Jason's case where someone might think 'No way someone is burrowed in there so far that I can't see them'? I'm hoping the possibility of burrowing in somewhere was in the minds of those searching. Likely was, they were professionals.

Today's pot sure isn't like the weed from the 1970s!!! That's for dang sure. :eek:

"Jamisha Gilbert was an 18-year-old recent high school graduate with the hopes of becoming an attorney, but whose life was ended after briefly smoking two to three marijuana joints," he described.

That's where things went bad for Jamisha Gilbert one night in November of last year. Authorities say Gilbert, who was upset about family issues, had smoked marijuana before crashing her car on Concord Turnpike.

She then ran from the accident scene, leaving a trail of her clothing. Surveillance video, which police revealed to give the effect of what happened, shows Gilbert running for hours in both directions.

"There's no evidence whatsoever that she was being chased on foot or being followed by a vehicle," Doucette explained.

She ultimately ended up just two miles from her car. We're told the temperatures in the area on November 28th and 29th dipped into the teens.

"The area where her body was discovered was in the middle of a briar patch and was so thickly covered that law enforcement was forced to use chainsaws," the commonwealth's attorney recalled.

An entry from the teen's diary says she realized "strange, dark secrets" in her head through the smoking of pot. The medical examiner was very clear in writing no other drugs were found in Gilbert's system. So, it does not appear the marijuana she smoked was laced with anything else.

Police rule Lynchburg teen's death accidental

Another article about Jamisha said she had abrasions to her feet. That must have been from all the running around she was doing. I point that out as some have brought up the fact that being barefoot would have hurt Jason's feet. I believed that he likely wouldn't have felt the pain in his state. They didn't appear to be felt by Jamisha. She kept on running... for hours...

Last edited:
I believe LE knows that there's a certain, newish street drug (psychonaut style) that is being placed in pre-rolled cannabis.

And that newish drug causes paradoxical undressing as a specific symptom of its use.

I believe LE knows that there's a certain, newish street drug (psychonaut style) that is being placed in pre-rolled cannabis.

And that newish drug causes paradoxical undressing as a specific symptom of its use.
Interesting. Do you have a link or reference for this? It sounds like it could probably be used by the wrong people for all kinds of nefarious purposes.

One last comment about Jamisha's case vs Jason's... her autopsy report talks about uncommon psychoactive drug effects... paranoid delusions, hallucinations, etc. (1st paragraph of Autopsy report, page 11) and exactly how paradoxical undressing occurs. (3rd paragraph of Autopsy report, same page). Also note the drawings of all the abrasions on her body from burrowing naked into the briar thicket on the page above (10). I had to look up briar thickets and apparently they are made up of thorny plants. I'm sure y'all knew that, but I didn't. I bring this up because what you and I would consider pain... apparently wasn't felt by her, or she wouldn't have been able to run barefoot so far, nor burrow that deep into a briar thicket. Can anyone say OUCH?!??! I know I would have been 'ouch'ing. One little poke and I would have been... 'Nah, not going in there'. :p

I find it highly likely that Jason wasn't feeling much pain either. This might also mean he could have gotten further than they thought, or hidden himself very well.

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.tow...-11e3-9533-0017a43b2370/53596462b5175.pdf.pdf

Last edited:
Interesting. Do you have a link or reference for this? It sounds like it could probably be used by the wrong people for all kinds of nefarious purposes.
This happens often, way more than people think. I don’t have articles to link, just a husband who is a first responder who deals with multiple overdoses per shift. They will, in fact, nickname the variations of drugs (usually based on whatever design the drug is wrapped in). They know when a bad batch hit the streets because the number of overdoses goes up. He’s seen some wild stuff. Based on his stories, it makes perfect since JL could have been high on something laced and stripped.

Right. It's too elaborate of a plan for a 21 year old, in my opinion. Not that Jason is not a smart, creative guy, I'm sure he is, but at that age, would he really come up with such an elaborate plan like this with so many strange details? Maybe? It just seems unreasonable that he would put this much thought into disappearing, even if that was something he wanted to do. There are so many simpler ways (I guess) to go about it. This scene is just too strange to be staged.
I agree. This isn't staged. Jason does not seem the type to kill his pet, just to set a scene up.

I think Jason was going to end up, eventually, at his parents home. Im just not sure he ever intended to go straight there, that night.

I think it's possible Jason was not alone on Salt Flat Road that night. Maybe someone, a friend, was traveling with him, but in their own car. Both panicked after the wreck, maybe they were both intoxicated... but were able to leave (in the friend's car) before the firefighter arrived.

Probably not likely though...

I think he is still out there, near Salt Flat Road, but just hasn't been found yet.

<moo>

I think the key to JL's disappearance may lie in determining why he turned off his Waze app - and turned on his snapchat app - while traveling east on E Austin and going through the N Magnolia Ave intersection.

Turning off the Waze app would seem to indicate that he no longer felt he needed it for directions: that at that point, he knew his way back to 80, knew to then head south, and knew to then take Interstate 10 east to Houston. Either that, or he could always turn Waze back on.

As I understand it, turning on the snapchat app would typically be done to communicate with another person more anonymously - using texts, photos, and gifs - which all then disappear.

A more recent snap map feature on snapchat allows users to find and track others on a local map - but only if the users have first given permission to snapchat to allow the app to show and track their locations in real time. Of course the record of these movements also quickly disappears - just like the messages, photos and gifs.

JL may or may not have been using the snap map feature, and may or may not have been trying to communicate with somebody local. If he was though, I wonder who it could have been? I guess only when the subpoenaed snapchat records are available will we know the answer. Jmo

IMO I had an experience in my 20s, which was ages ago & the last time I smoked weed. Myself and two friends received some pre-rolled joints from friends of ours. After smoking, I felt extremely paranoid and irrational. This lasted for several hours to the point that I could not go to sleep that night because of the paranoia. My friends did not have any such reaction. I always wondered if the joints were tainted with something, but the fact that my friends were fine, leads me to believe I just had some type of odd reaction to the weed. It is important to note that I was going through a very stressful time in my life and was stressed about major life events. IMO

I think something similar could've happened here if the weed JL smoked was not laced with halucinagetics. If Jason started to feel very paranoid after smoking, he could've started driving erratically, causing the crash. The crash itself could've triggered an extreme reaction to stress, combined with the paranoia he was already experiencing. I know this is not a normal reaction to weed, but it does happen as the case with the young lady who died of hypothermia. I just feel he is out there somewhere & they have to keep searching.

I think the key to JL's disappearance may lie in determining why he turned off his Waze app - and turned on his snapchat app - while traveling east on E Austin and going through the N Magnolia Ave intersection.

Turning off the Waze app would seem to indicate that he no longer felt he needed it for directions: that at that point, he knew his way back to 80, knew to then head south, and knew to then take Interstate 10 east to Houston. Either that, or he could always turn Waze back on.

As I understand it, turning on the snapchat app would typically be done to communicate with another person more anonymously - using texts, photos, and gifs - which all then disappear.

A more recent snap map feature on snapchat allows users to find and track others on a local map - but only if the users have first given permission to snapchat to allow the app to show and track their locations in real time. Of course the record of these movements also quickly disappears - just like the messages, photos and gifs.

JL may or may not have been using the snap map feature, and may or may not have been trying to communicate with somebody local. If he was though, I wonder who it could have been? I guess only when the subpoenaed snapchat records are available will we know the answer. Jmo

If they have access to his mobile history, maybe they can see a pattern if he used Waze often and then turned it off and used Snapchat, maybe he did this before when meeting people or going places. If he has done that before, maybe they can see a pattern or at least a few times he did this before and pinpoint why and what he might have been doing (assuming he did that on purpose because his parents house wasn't the destination that evening)

I don't use Snapchat, but understand a little about how it works. This new feature isn't something I knew about! I wonder if it's possible for the police to find out specifically who he gave permission to to track him? If he felt uneasy about something (strange car following him or something like that), maybe he turned Waze off so he could turn on Snapchat and allow someone to know where he was in order to come get him? If the Snapchat thing happened after he crashed, i would think maybe he did that in order for a friend to come get him if he was afraid to call the police for help since he crashed (maybe due to the marijuana in his backpack or fear of being in trouble for the crash, etc). The timing of the switch from Waze to Snapchat is odd.

IMO I had an experience in my 20s, which was ages ago & the last time I smoked weed. Myself and two friends received some pre-rolled joints from friends of ours. After smoking, I felt extremely paranoid and irrational. This lasted for several hours to the point that I could not go to sleep that night because of the paranoia. My friends did not have any such reaction. I always wondered if the joints were tainted with something, but the fact that my friends were fine, leads me to believe I just had some type of odd reaction to the weed. It is important to note that I was going through a very stressful time in my life and was stressed about major life events. IMO

I think something similar could've happened here if the weed JL smoked was not laced with halucinagetics. If Jason started to feel very paranoid after smoking, he could've started driving erratically, causing the crash. The crash itself could've triggered an extreme reaction to stress, combined with the paranoia he was already experiencing. I know this is not a normal reaction to weed, but it does happen as the case with the young lady who died of hypothermia. I just feel he is out there somewhere & they have to keep searching.
I was just coming to post about my son having a reaction when smoking pot with friends which landed him in the ER, But not either of the other two kids, even though it was pot from the same bag. My son began to act so bizarre and his heart was racing so bad one boy called his mom who was a nurse who had them go to the ER and called us. Thankfully, my son was ok and learned mj was not for him and to my knowledge never used again and warned my younger son off too. (When I went on medical mj for awhile my sons were both quite perplexed with me about the whole thing.... didn’t do a thing for me though). Whole point being that I agree it could have been regular old pot that just didn’t agree with Jason. This case breaks my heart as I have a 22 year old who regularly drives home and he often brings his beta fish with. Lord, please let Jason be found for his family’s sake.

edited for typos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member