Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #66

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip - quoted post removed>

There was no “Laundrie caused” delay in my opinion. I assume the Petito’s knew how to contact the police and could very easily contacted the cops without ever once allegedly trying to contact a Laundrie.

Sure, I agree that the Petito/Schmidt families knew how to call the police without involving the Laundries.

But IMO, what is the more plausible action to take first?

Say a member of your family or mine went out with a friend, even just for the evening. Then that person didn’t return home at the expected time and didn’t call or answer my calls. I would first call the person who was with the family member, as it would seem that person could best tell me where and when they’d last seen that person.

If I couldn’t reach either of them, my next step would be the other family. Did your family member come home, because mine is not home and not responding?

If that family won’t acknowledge me or my concern, and I later found out my family member’s companion for the evening HAD come home in the vehicle they’d both traveled in for the evening….then I have a reason to call the police.

If I called the police first, without this prior knowledge, the police would say that someone above 18 has the right to not call
or come home. But knowing that the other party IS home and WON’T give me a clue gives me a basis to tell the police someone is missing and unaccounted for. IMO.

IMO, the outrage directed at the Ls stems from the very human desire for someone to answer for this terrible crime. And so far the one person who appears to be the culprit cannot answer for it. But the Ls had absolutely nothing to do with the murder, and even if we take the most damning assumption of events - that BL called them and told them the whole story before even returning to FL - it was already too late. Even if they are actively hiding him and helping him evade capture, they did not commit this murder and could have done nothing to stop it. I think the Ls are just more collateral damage in this sorry situation, and right now they are just scapegoats for the real culprit, who is in hiding like a coward.
Aiding and abetting a federal fugitive is a felony. A prosecutor will have no problem convincing a jury that the reason the Laundrie parents ignored GP's parents' calls, why they purchased him a new phone and why they delayed reporting him missing is because they knew he had committed a serious crime. jmo

BL should have talked to police when they wanted to talk to him in Florida. It would have shown him to be a decent human being. Exercising legal rights has a time and a place, which is not when a young woman is missing, presumably in danger and alone, possibly dead. He should have thought of her, not himself. That he thought only of himself speaks volumes. That applies to the parents too, IMO.
I don't know how else to say it, that's as clear as I can be.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion. But the idea that legal rights are limited in the way you suggest is kind of scary to me. ("exercising legal rights has a time and a place")

The Laundries have Constitutional rights as does BL. They have the right to remain silent. That's as clear as I can be.
JMO

Thank you for letting me know, Im not sure I’d remember everyone’s name if ignored a lot and I might actually like another one of their opinions is there a list that you can refer to, on say our profile page? i try to just scroll and roll, can be difficult at times. I do hope the thread doesn’t get closed again, been in the uk our news is about 12 hours behind so I keep up to date with Gp’s case a lot through WS.
How are we 12 hours behind with the news?

edited and BBM to correct dates

With all the theories flying around, there’s just one point I keep coming back to that baffles me. (I have zero expertise or experience and I’m in Australia so totally different laws.) Can anyone explain this to me with facts?
When NPPD went to the L’s home on the very first visit 9/10 was this not a ‘welfare check’ for GP & BL instigated by calls from the P’s. (Or on any subsequent visits 9/10 & 9/11) If so, how are LE not REQUIRED to at least sight individual/s.
How can they possibly determine location or lack of knowledge of same on the say so of BL’s parents? Neither GP or BL are minors

I live in the USA and thought of this! We need an answer to this! At the time Brian was NOT A person of interest and Gabby was "missing" and not discovered horribly murdered at that point. We need those that know to chime in! Good question!

Last edited:
edited and BBM to correct dates

With all the theories flying around, there’s just one point I keep coming back to that baffles me. (I have zero expertise or experience and I’m in Australia so totally different laws.) Can anyone explain this to me with facts?
When NPPD went to the L’s home on the very first visit 9/10 was this not a ‘welfare check’ for GP & BL instigated by calls from the P’s. (Or on any subsequent visits 9/10 & 9/11) If so, how are LE not REQUIRED to at least sight individual/s.
How can they possibly determine location or lack of knowledge of same on the say so of BL’s parents? Neither GP or BL are minors
So I think this is the answer to your question - there are many police reports that have been filed from the 10th through today. All are redacted. So we can see what they are titled and the date and time but that's really it. And a lot of them just say Public Service or something along those lines.

Brian Laundrie manhunt: Dozens of police calls to Florida home after Gabby Petito was last seen

IMO, the situation would have been the same even if BL was in custody. I've seen in in another case - the parents of the accused are lambasted.

-They're being 'lambasted' for withholding what could have been vital information from the frantic family of a missing girl.

- They are being lambasted for providing inaccurate information for the date the Mustang was returned, until the evidence was provided by the journalists

-They're mostly being lambasted for their failure to disclose the actual date their son went missing until the FBI discovered it. They watched a massive search operation set off searching for a guy they had been told was missing for 4 days, not 5 and they stayed silent for weeks.
That is all.

ETA link
'Suspicious' things Brian's parents have done since Gabby went missing

Aiding and abetting a federal fugitive is a felony. A prosecutor will have no problem convincing a jury that the reason the Laundrie parents ignored GP's parents' calls, why they purchased him a new phone and why they delayed reporting him missing is because they knew he had committed a serious crime. jmo
How do they prove that though? Those facts alone are not evidence they were aware of what he did.

Hmmm. Not sure if it was last night or the night before she said something along the lines of - The Laundrie's know their son's not dead. Reason being they would've hired a better lawyer.

Does that make sense to anyone or is it just me?

That seems backwards to me. Wouldn’t they need a criminal/very good lawyer if they thought he was alive and would be charged in Gabby’s death?

jmo

I take it you've never watched interrogation room footage? Why would anyone subject themselves to that when they have Constitutional protections? If he's guilty, the evidence will bear that out and his actions can be judged at that time.

This isn't a crime show on TV. The police just wanted to know initially where Gabby was. BL was the logical person to ask about that, since they had left on this trip together and he returned alone. Gabby's parents had filed a missing person's report. Where is she? Hey look, the van is back and BL surely knows where she is - but he ain't talking. (Why not? Oh no - he's seen interrogation footage!)

It just would have been so NORMAL for LE to ask BL where Gabby was. I think this anti-police line of Laundrie defense is disturbing.

<modsnip>

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
The “delay” was set in motion the day their son arrived home in his girlfriends van without said girlfriend and didn’t even think to find out if she was at home, missing or what and failed to notify her family. Communication is key and if there had been more communication from one side then perhaps no delay… JMO

I don't admire how the Laundries have handled this situation, not in a moral sense. However, IMO, we have no idea what BL told his parents. Did he tell them what actually happened, or did he pull a Moab? Was he playing the victim, denying, delaying, threatening suicide, or creating a constantly shifting web of lies? For all we know, they still believe he's innocent. That sounds insane but perfectly reasonable, normal, law-abiding people take blind irrational stances where their children are concerned every day.

But all of those things were done before he was charged with any crime and certainly before he was a "fugitive." If that's all they got-- the purchase of a phone, the failure to answer their phone for one day, and the failure to report to LE an adult child didn't return home on time-- it doesn't sound like an airtight case to me.

JMO

I live in the USA and thought of this! We need an answer to this! At the time Brian was a person of interest and Gabby was "missing" and not discovered horribly murdered at that point. We need those that know to chime in! Good question!
I don’t think BL was a POI iirc, the P’s just didn’t know where the travelling couple were, and couldn’t get hold of anyone.

I ran across this document by happenstance. As far as I know, neither phone has been found. First, where in the heck are they? If Brian is found with his phone, can he use the 5th to deny LE the passwords? What if the Laundries had the phone and their name on the account, would they be able to use it?
https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/LSB/LSB10416
Well, I suppose he can remain silent, but I believe that LE and the FBI especially have excellent technicians that can crack them. I think the phones are long gone - probably disposed of in WY.

Last edited:
I don't admire how the Laundries have handled this situation, not in a moral sense. However, IMO, we have no idea what BL told his parents. Did he tell them what actually happened, or did he pull a Moab? Was he playing the victim, denying, delaying, threatening suicide, or creating a constantly shifting web of lies? For all we know, they still believe he's innocent. That sounds insane but perfectly reasonable, normal, law-abiding people take blind irrational stances where their children are concerned every day.

Right. What's the last thing you want to believe about one of your children.? How as a parent do you get your head around that?

So I think this is the answer to your question - there are many police reports that have been filed from the 10th through today. All are redacted. So we can see what they are titled and the date and time but that's really it. And a lot of them just say Public Service or something along those lines.

Brian Laundrie manhunt: Dozens of police calls to Florida home after Gabby Petito was last seen
Yes, I’ve seen them. Iirc the police never actually saw BL, perhaps that’s been assumed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa