Madeleine McCann: German prisoner identified as suspect - #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, quite. He fits the bill in the obvious scenario, which is that this was done by someone very like him, but as I said upthread, there's no more evidence (yet) to link CB than there is to link John Cannan to Suzy Lamplugh.

There's a lot of circumstantial evidence putting CB, the right kind of criminal, in the right place at the right time, and in several other places from where children disappeared, too.

JC seems to think that the 20-odd video tapes at his house contain the proof the BKA reckon they have that MM is dead, because CB filmed several of his crimes including at least two other rapes besides the American OAP and the Irish girl. These were on 2 of the tapes, and he had 18 more. JC's conjecture is that MM is on one of those other 18.

But we don't know that yet because it's not out there.

I think they know who the caller is because they haven't repeated their appeal for info. My guess is they wanted specific people to come forward.

Could be - part of this alleged new progress they've made? - but I've always felt he was on a hiding to nothing re tracing the caller. Rather than him now knowing who it is, could be he's realised it's never going to happen and has given up on it?

I need a memory refresh here: I know CB's alleged phone allegedly pinged in the PdL vicinity on the eve of the 3rd but do we know what part of Portugal the caller was calling from? Was that info in the public domain? Thanks in advance to anyone who can clarify things.

Last edited:
There's a lot of circumstantial evidence putting CB, the right kind of criminal, in the right place at the right time, and in several other places from where children disappeared, too.

JC seems to think that the 20-odd video tapes at his house contain the proof the BKA reckon they have that MM is dead, because CB filmed several of his crimes including at least two other rapes besides the American OAP and the Irish girl. These were on 2 of the tapes, and he had 18 more. JC's conjecture is that MM is on one of those other 18.

Although HCW seems to be saying that they don't have any video evidence.
Mr Wolters said: “It is circumstantial evidence – we have no scientific evidence. If we had a video of the act or a picture of Madeleine dead with Brueckner on camera, we wouldn’t have had to make a public appeal. But we only have circumstantial evidence.”

Madeleine McCann investigators ‘100% convinced’ suspect killed her

I need a memory refresh here: I know CB's alleged phone allegedly pinged in the PdL vicinity on the eve of the 3rd but do we know what part of Portugal the caller was calling from? Was that info in the public domain? Thanks in advance to anyone who can clarify things.

Madeleine McCann: German prisoner identified as suspect - #23

There was some chat around this topic back on Thread 23...

Am not sure the answer to this question is publicly known...maybe someone in a police dept. knows perhaps...?

Last edited:

Do you mean the memory cards found at the box factory?

MM couldn't have been found on the tapes from the PDL house as they were taken by "thieves" in 2006 when CB was in prison.

No body and no DNA and no photo evidence according to HCW, but he also adds that it’s circumstantial evidence that leads to no other conclusion than that of her being dead, but they don’t have explicit proof of her death.
Surely this rules out an ambiguous photograph with something that could have belonged to her in it? Would an item of her clothing such as her pyjamas be considered scientific or circumstantial if there were no DNA of hers found on them but they matched hers? Or it could be an audio file…

“It is circumstantial evidence – we have no scientific evidence. If we had a video of the act or a picture of Madeleine dead with Brueckner on camera, we wouldn’t have had to make a public appeal. But we only have circumstantial evidence.”

Madeleine McCann: Prosecutors '100pc certain' they have killer in custody

Wolters has not said he has no photographic evidence.. He's said he has no photo evidence of MM with CB.
He has suggested photo evidence... A photo of MM which has a possible link to CB would be circumstantial

Last edited:
“It is circumstantial evidence – we have no scientific evidence. If we had a video of the act or a picture of Madeleine dead with Brueckner on camera, we wouldn’t have had to make a public appeal. But we only have circumstantial evidence.”

HCW has only said that there is no video, picture of the act with both MM and CB on camera together.
The act, I presume, means the murder.
There still may be pics or a video of MM on her own, that do not show/identify CB in them.
If so, this would be classed as circumstantial evidence, from which Judges could infer what happened to MM, after putting together the number of circumstances that BKA has, to create a chain of circumstantial evidence.
If there is a pic or video of both CB and MM together that would be direct evidence (fact), just like the abuse pic he had of his GF's little girl in which he appeared.

In other words, as HCW said, if he had both on camera together, no need for the public appeal - CB would have been arrested and charged and quite possibly convicted by now.

JMO

Last edited:
HCW has only said that there is no video, picture of the act with both MM and CB on camera together.
The act, I presume, means the murder.
There still may be pics or a video of MM on her own, that do not show/identify CB in them.
If so, this would be classed as circumstantial evidence, from which Judges could infer what happened to MM, after putting together the number of circumstances that BKA has, to create a chain of circumstantial evidence.
If there was a pic or video of both CB and MM together that would be direct evidence (fact), just like the abuse pic he had of his GF's little girl in which he appeared.

JMO
Yes Ted as you say it could indeed be of just MM or even a person with her but they cant identify this person, If this is so then they would need that missing part of the jigsaw! the absolute positive link, he is 100% sure MM is dead so he must have something very strong to come to this, no body to prove she is dead so what else in reality could it be ?I dont think anyone could say this unless they have seen it via pics or vid, Imo word of mouth would not give him confidence to say to the world 100% she is dead.

I seem to recall that some of the investigation team were very traumatised and off work for a period (?)by some of the evidence. So it has to be significantly revolting.

So it could still be photographic/video then and circumstantial if he isn’t shown to be murdering her? He seems so *advertiser censored* sure that they have nothing on him and the cartoons he drew mocking the investigation which makes me think it couldn’t have been anything they found on the USB’s.
I can only imagine the trauma members of the search team would have suffered if they had to go through those memory sticks.
If he claims that the videos and photos on them are downloaded from the dark web would it be difficult to link him to them directly?

If there are photos or footage of MM post 03/05/2007 which are now in possession of HCW then it has either been downloaded from the internet (probably dark web) or retrieved from a physical storage device.

What I find difficult to understand is, if it was downloaded from the internet then surely, someone else other than the BKA must have accessed it. If so, it seems likely that it would have leaked to more main street websites or the media.

If it were the second option, then we have to accept that money hungry, opportunistic, impulsive CB sat on something of such value for roughly a decade. This is a guy that pleasures himself in a playground after a night on the grog. I can’t see him sitting on it for such a long period.

It could be that he sold the hard copy to a third party who sat on it for years or he could have unknowingly sold it to the BKA for a large sum but if the latter, I still can’t see him holding on to it until 2016/2017.

Could be - part of this alleged new progress they've made? - but I've always felt he was on a hiding to nothing re tracing the caller. Rather than him now knowing who it is, could be he's realised it's never going to happen and has given up on it?

Probably. I think they had a good idea who it was. But ultimately, if they can prove the number was one CB was using, they have close to what they need on that front, even if they don't have the other side of the call. Chances are it was CB.

All i really take from the various comments on the evidence from HCW:

He doesn't have any forensics ... i.e from a crime scene
He has direct evidence (witness) but not to the crime
He has digital evidence of some kind, but its not direct.

Given circumstantial evidence is the common and broad - it doesn't take us far.

But lack of forensic evidence from a crime scene makes this a heavy lift. What will prove death, and that CB did it?

Correio da Manhã published a series of articles last night written by their most senior reporter who has followed the case from the beginning .
Apparently C da M had access to the German investigation into CB and they are now publishing portions of those files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa