Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #75

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unresolved: why the parents were unable, during 4 or more hours of searching, to find him the day he went missing, or the following days had they chosen to search for him. Yet, a month later they made a beeline to his things, the bag and the notebook, and very nearly to the backpack and body itself. What happened between the day he went missing, when they couldn't find him (or did they?), and the day they knew, IMO, exactly where to look. IMO

The million dollar question, IMO.

Unresolved: why the parents were unable, during 4 or more hours of searching, to find him the day he went missing, or the following days had they chosen to search for him. Yet, a month later they made a beeline to his things, the bag and the notebook, and very nearly to the backpack and body itself. What happened between the day he went missing, when they couldn't find him (or did they?), and the day they knew, IMO, exactly where to look. IMO

The water receded. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
They did say that but it was in a sentence where they named everyone-- Brian, his mother, his father, his sister...and I honestly wondered if all those calls were made or if her family just thought about trying to reach all those people. When people are panicked it's not always clear what happened.

Realistically how likely is it they had the phone number (cell, landline) for their 22-year old daughter's boyfriend's 9 years older & married with children sister? I know some posts say it's possible to buy databases to get cell numbers. I didn't know that and if they didn't, I doubt they did that when in a panic.

Cassie said she didn't get a call. She could have had her ringer off, or didn't hear the ring, or didn't know the number...

But even if someone tried to call her on Sept 10 as the family may have done, what could she have told them that would help?

JMO
I find people's cell numbers all the time online. Often very minimal sleuthing involved if you have their name, or are connected via social media, or have other basic info.

(Second includes a lot of info about the usual reverse lookups when you gave the number and no name, but also some about this situation, the reverse)

Use These Strategies to Find Someone's Phone Number Online

5 Best Ways to Find or Lookup a Cell Phone Number Online

They did try to contact Cassie. Joe Petito said it on Dr. Phil.

As I say further up on the thread with generic delicacy, there are relatively inexpensive ways and databases to pay in order to get people's phone numbers, including cellular numbers.

IMO, that's a lot of extensive phone numbers for the Petitos/Schmidts not to be able to locate by any means.

4 different Laundries, 5 if we count Cassie's husband, and every single number they dialed for them was wrong or nonfunctional?

Especially since, IME, parents of school-age children such as Cassie still have a landline in addition to a cell phone, just to make sure they don't miss any calls from a school?

Gabby knew the nephews to be able to address them by name, but Joe and Nicole didn't know Cassie and her husband's names?

It's not impossible, but it's highly unlikely, IMO. Plus the fact that thousands of people everywhere were eager to help them find Gabby - how much do you want to bet that some of them offered a wealth of location/locating tips on how to get more addresses/phone numbers?

The more people you try to contact, the less likely it is that all 100% of them fail to receive your calls; and that's just basic probability.

I don't answer my phone for days on end. My kids and grandkids know how to reach me without calling and the grandkids' school is on my "allow notifications" list. Everyone else is blocked from my view. I do not check voicemails.

I've gotten worse as I've gotten older, if you consider this some kind of flaw.

I get 40-50 texts a day, mostly spam. If I recognize a name on voicemail, I read the transcript and message them. Eventually.

I don't think anyone who's talking about the handling of the evidence in the park thinks that Brian isn't responsible. Afaict, there are only a couple of posters who think it's not already been proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he did it. And I've read a whole lot of these threads. jmo

I'm included in the group of those who think he is responsible. However, my opinion nor anyone else's opinion is enough to convict someone. The evidence will reveal who is responsible for Gabby's death. IMO.

Well, the area where his belongings and remains were found was underwater until recently, according to the article below, so that might explain why they didn't find him or his things at that time. This may depend on the dates in question, though.

Suspected human remains and items belonging to Brian Laundrie found in Florida park, FBI says - CNN

i'd like to know how deep the water actually was and at what time...i've seen or heard it stated that the water was knee-deep, waist-deep, and neck-deep on this site and from various media...

I'm included in the group of those who think he is responsible. However, my opinion nor anyone else's opinion is enough to convict someone. The evidence will reveal who is responsible for Gabby's death. IMO.

He can't be convicted because he's deaed, so the "evidence" is irrelevant unless you (general you) think someone else may have done it. <modsnip> all jmo

Snipped for focus

I have a hard time understanding this at all. It's not as though BL had no way to travel. Why would he have to have a car? He could have walked and hitched if the car wasn't there any more?

What bothers me is that it wasn't removed sooner. We still don't know if it had re-supply in it.

If the Mustang was filled with re-supply then why would his parents take the car with the inclusive supplies to their home? I believe the Mustang could have legally stayed in place as long as five days without being towed away.

If you cannot understand the strong desire for a parent to protect their child, especially from a possible suicide, then it's not something I can teach you. It comes naturally for me. It's an innate instinct.

Well, the way I see it, ie., the parents found BL's articles which led LE to start looking around in the immediate area and then found his body.
Except that (from the way I'm reading it) LE had already found the backpack and remains prior to seeing what CL found.

Brian Laundrie's parents search bushes & quickly appear with mystery white bag

"They looked at the contents of the bag," the lawyer explained.

"At that time, law enforcement officers showed him a picture on the phone of a backpack that law enforcement had located also nearby, and also some distance off the trail."

The Laundries were then asked to leave the park as investigators continued combing the area.

Has there been any clarification from SB on what transpired during the "suspicious incident" at 11:30pm on 9/18? report:

"A third redacted report —incident No. 21-054246, at 11:22 p.m. dated Sept. 18 notes a “suspicious incident” at the intersection of Balboa Terrace and Delmar Drive in North Port.

Delmar Drive is a bit of a beaten trail of a road that drags along Big Slough in the middle of North Port. There are no homes on Delmar Drive; and only a handful along Balboa Terrance."
614a0306564e4.image.png
Gabby Petito case: North Port redacts records on Petito, Laundrie family

Also-- was it confirmed that Chris Laundrie went looking for BL the night he went missing for 4-5 hours? Surely he would have found something if BL died that day and they checked the same spot where they just discovered his belongings?

***MOO/ all speculation: <modsnip - no link/reference to rumors> the timeline would make sense... CL goes to the reserve on afternoon of the 13th, locates the Mustang and realizes the glock is missing. He looks around for a few hours, but did not locate anything so he allows a few days to see if BL may change his mind. When he didn't return, CL collected the abandoned vehicle and gave a few more days to "ensure" BL had time to take his life before reporting him missing.

I stand corrected.
I could have sworn the Petito family said they included Cassie in their frantic calls/texts.
I guess only the phone records would confirm if Cassie's phone ever received those calls.

Joe Petito did in fact state that they called Cassie. He did it on his first Dr. Phil appearance alone and he did it in print.

'Petito said his family began worrying after several days without hearing from their daughter.
“We called Brian, we called the mom, we called the dad, we called the sister, we called every number that we could find,” Petito said. “No phone calls were picked up, no text messages were returned.” Petito said he wants Laundrie to be held accountable for whatever part he played in his daughter’s disappearance, along with his family for protecting him. I hope they get what’s coming, and that includes his folks,” Petito said. “Because I’ll tell you, right now, they are just as complicit, in my book.”

FBI searches Florida home of Petito's boyfriend; autopsy scheduled for Tuesday

Cassie did say in her interview that she did not get any calls from him but this does not change JP's statements that he did call her. MOO

They can't try or convict a dead guy, and they've confirmed he's a dead guy. The rest is just paperwork. The only case pending is for using the credit cards. jmo

BL has been named as a person if interest in the murder of GP. There may be other POIs and other suspects. We simply don't have that information. Investigators and courts need to follow this through to its conclusion.

https://www.wfla.com/news/sarasota-...firmed-to-be-gabby-petito-person-of-interest/

Rick Stafford, the attorney representing Petito’s family, responded to the news of the remains on Thursday evening and said the family would not be making any statements at this time.

“They are grieving the loss of their beautiful daughter,” the statement said. “Gabby’s family will make a statement at the appropriate time and when they are emotionally ready.”

So when will we know Brian's cause of death? I know suicide is likely, but animal attack is possible, I suppose.

I believe it will be determined to be suicide by gunshot wound to the head. <modsnip - no link> Remains were bones which included a partial skull. The skull would have remained intact unless it was shattered by some major head trauma like a gunshot wound.

If BL died by gun, hope that the gun is found nearby.

I always thought that the only reason BL would go into the swamp was for suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard