Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #86

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recall in prep school, guys were told hands in pockets were allowed only to retrieve something. Wasn't the same said for the Military?

Hands in pockets when standing is a no-no in the body language literature.
Vanessa van Edwards says that hands in your pocket murders rapport, makes you come across as unconfident and is associated with lying and defensiveness.

And she’s is right.

Mark Bowden author of “Winning Body Language” says that showing our hands is one of the most crucial aspects of building trust with the people around.

MOO
To feel confident outside of his hunting area, he probably urgently needed his wife Suzanne. Maybe, he hated her for that.

If (speculation/pondering) LE got DNA swabs from all the likely people who might leave fingerprints on SM's car's glove box -- oil change person, tire change people, Range Rover dealership staff, car wash folks, etc -- would they be able to affirmatively match the DNA found with the person giving the swab?

And if so, shouldn't they have done that, so the glovebox DNA can be definitively ruled out?

Or maybe they have identified the person but don't need to make that known yet?
According to reporters who have seen the 10 page letter with intent to sue, those attorneys representing BM in a possible civil suit are saying that the State knew the identity of the POSSIBLE match by August 2nd.

Exclusive: Barry Morphew attorneys to sue case investigators for false arrest, defamation
The documents filed by Morphew allege new information regarding male DNA found in the Range Rover, saying it was a possible match to a serial sex offender in Arizona.

Morphew’s civil attorneys say investigators knew the man’s identity as early as Aug. 2, a week before the evidence hearing in the murder case. The 10-page document says prosecutors waited until Morphew was ordered to trial before they released it to his defense team. In doing this, Morphew's attorneys contend, prosecutors “conspired to commit a fraud upon the court by withholding exculpatory evidence.”

@Cindizzi I had been assuming the documents filed by the defense were incorrect/misleading because they were calling it a "possible" match when really it's a "partial" match, meaning the offender is a relative of whoever actually touched the car. Is this incorrect?

I wasn't meaning to ask about ID'ing the sex offender relative but rather ID'ing the actual local person who touched the car.

If LE got a voluntary swab from the right person, do they have a full enough profile off the glove box to determine a match and shut down the defense's attempts to claim it's exculpatory? (Assuming the person had a sufficient alibi to rule him out legally)

According to reporters who have seen the 10 page letter with intent to sue, those attorneys representing BM in a possible civil suit are saying that the State knew the identity of the POSSIBLE match by August 2nd.

Exclusive: Barry Morphew attorneys to sue case investigators for false arrest, defamation
The documents filed by Morphew allege new information regarding male DNA found in the Range Rover, saying it was a possible match to a serial sex offender in Arizona.

Morphew’s civil attorneys say investigators knew the man’s identity as early as Aug. 2, a week before the evidence hearing in the murder case. The 10-page document says prosecutors waited until Morphew was ordered to trial before they released it to his defense team. In doing this, Morphew's attorneys contend, prosecutors “conspired to commit a fraud upon the court by withholding exculpatory evidence.”
I think both the civil attorneys and reporters are misrepresenting this information. I think this "black hole" is the obsession of IE and she tried it out on Judge Murphy and he didn't bite either. If anything, they may have had the identity of the AZ partial match which means nothing, nada, zilch!

31. How successful are partial matches at locating potential suspects?

As explained in SWGDAM’s recommendations “Moderate stringency CODIS matches, in general, have very low efficiency in locating true relatives in offender databases.

There is little useful probative value in the majority of partial matches using the current CODIS searching rules and algorithms.

This just looks so rehearsed. There’s nothing natural about about the girls grabbing Dad’s arms to walk across the parking lot. I feel like they were waiting on the movie set and the director yelled, “Action!”. The same thing happened after they were handed their masks from their attorneys and got ready to walk into the court. MM2 jumped up to move in beside BM and grab his arm. They waited til the director yelled, “Action!” again.
This is a very common ploy among defense attorneys when a very bad person is on trial. There is much touching of the defendant, shoulder pats, arm rubs, etc. It’s all meant to personalize the defendant. They want the court of public opinion and the jury to look at him and think “Look he’s just a regular guy. No one is afraid of him. They like him. He can’t be all that bad.”
The Morphews have been well coached by their very expensive attorneys. MOO

What more could LE do to follow through on the partial match? They contacted the Arizona man and he declined to speak with them as far as we know. He isn't the man whose DNA is in the car, so can't be treated as a suspect or even a material witness. He can't provide exculpatory evidence because the DNA was not found on anything associated with SM's disappearance, like the bike or the helmet or the home, and because there is no reason to believe the person who left DNA in the car was anything other than a mechanic who serviced it. How would withholding the name of the Arizona man materially affect the outcome of the case in BM's favor, assuming that it was not disclosed with the terabyte of data everyone seems to be sorting through - still?

Further, assuming that the allegation is true, that the prosecution didn't offer testimony about this in the PH, where is the obligation to do that? And how would non-disclosure if it happened as alleged, have prevented the judge from finding probable cause?

If we are claiming misconduct by the prosecution, we need facts and analysis, don't you think?
I appreciate reading your take on things. Your posts are always very informative and easy to understand.

This just looks so rehearsed. There’s nothing natural about about the girls grabbing Dad’s arms to walk across the parking lot. I feel like they were waiting on the movie set and the director yelled, “Action!”. The same thing happened after they were handed their masks from their attorneys and got ready to walk into the court. MM2 jumped up to move in beside BM and grab his arm. They waited til the director yelled, “Action!” again.
This is a very common ploy among defense attorneys when a very bad person is on trial. There is much touching of the defendant, shoulder pats, arm rubs, etc. It’s all meant to personalize the defendant. They want the court of public opinion and the jury to look at him and think “Look he’s just a regular guy. No one is afraid of him. They like him. He can’t be all that bad.”
The Morphews have been well coached by their very expensive attorneys. MOO
Thanks for your astute observation, @OldCop !
It makes more sense now.

The lady lawyers' have their work cut out for them, with this defendant.
A veritable mountain of damning actions by the unpleasant Mr. Morphew.
And, fwiw -- if you're right and I think you are --- these pretrial actions are not going to help in the long run.
Just saying.
Imo.

Putting Libler on the stand serves no purpose but to make Suzanne look like an adulteress. Libler has provided ample proof that he was nowhere near Colorado. The only testimony he can deliver is that Suzanne was unhappy with Barry. I can't imagine any scenario where the defense attacking Libler works out for them.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Barry married SD to keep her off the stand.
Interesting thought.....But before BM can marry SD...SM has to be declared deceased....that would eliminate the "gone girl" angle. BM would have to go to court to petition the death ruling, one would think. More scrutiny for him. I don't think he or his lawyers want the added scrutiny.

RSBM..Same page@MassGuy. I feel he knew. Things had escalated so sharply that week, You can feel the tension growing and we only know about a few text. Very few. Must have been a hellacious fight Friday night based on what Morgan observed.

When we read Barry texted her 11 times at 2:26, and there was no response from SM, then his final test at 2:31 “Did you leave?”

I think there was literally a little panic on his part, not necessarily anger, but thinking she may have really left him finally.
This is so obvious...BM surely knew. In fact, SM's actions, particularly the last couple of days appear to me to be less cautious and guarded...as though she had reached the point of not caring whether BM knew or not. I think BM saw her phone when he got home. He purposely arrived quietly, parking a bit away from the house and not closing the truck door. He was sneaking up on her, by all indications. I think the situation was somewhat fluid with BM...but one thing was crystal clear and definite: SM was not going to get a divorce...ever. He said as much to the police. To be that bold as to make that kind of declaration to the police...it was in the fabric of his DNA.

LOL! And the buttons are being pulled in the front. And he’s only buttoned half way up. And the hair. He is a hot mess going to a tractor pull.
I do believe his appearance is scripted....like every other aspect of the defense's theatrics. I think they want him to project "Ordinary Joe"...just like they want the community to get conditioned and used to BM being about town. They want him to blend in so that this crime becomes ever more obscure and distant to the community. They want, imo, to create as much of a disconnect between BM and this murder as possible.

It all depends on how detailed the prosecution wants to get with motive. It's not required of course, but the jury likes to know why a crime occurred.

Its absolutely clear to me that Barry knew Suzanne was having an affair, which was alluded to quite a bit in both the affidavit and preliminary hearing.

Barry would have been both furious that Suzanne was having one, and fearful that she was dead serious when she asked for a divorce that week (he may have thought she had a place to go, and thus means to pull it off).

So JL may be quite important, and it's possible that the defense would call him if the prosecution did not.

I think we hear from him.
I agree. I think BM knew she was having an affair, but I don’t think he knew who it was with. And…., it absolutely drove him nuts. After LE told him she was having an affair, he started asking who it was with and, if I recall, he even started throwing out some names for confirmation. (And none was JL’s). To me it’s clear that he had been trying to figure out who it was for a while.
JL ‘s very existence can show motive on BM’s part.

BM & Neighbors? Gate?
@Cindizzi Thx for verifying that BM was in that pic of newish looking gate (presumably Monarch River Est. entrance) because I kinda doubted it was BM.

BM. Relationships w Others?
If pic w BM* was taken/uploaded before or on Oct 22, 2020 that was post-SM-disappearance and pre-BM-arrest. Seems he was still on speaking terms or working terms w these other men. Who are these men?* Interviewed by LE?
Any chance that Mr. Ritter was among them? Or other neighbors?

Gate
Does Monarch River Estates have more than one gate?
Do Oct. 2020 pix & May 2021 pix* show the same gate?
If it's a subdivision gate, looks like there are 2 points of entry into MRE from US Hwy 50. Maybe another entry from Co. Rd. 225? Where is this gate?
Can any of our map wizards mark it on M.R.Est map?** TiA.

If pix were taken of gate installation, were the men paid contractors/laborers or MRE homeowner-volunteers doing this for their HOA/subdivision?
Same question re BM, paid or volunteer?
** Plat Map of Monarch River Estates (uploaded 4 yrs ago)
^ https://www.monarchriverestates.org/file/document/881338593/1HjSZll4mBNKzlnA.pdf
It is hard to show now because someone was able to have those streets removed from Google maps. However, I just happen to have an old view of the neighborhood saved as a screen shot. :cool:
Monarch River Estates is divided into two sections divided by the S Arkansas River.
Where the Ritters live, on the north side of the river, is directly accessed from Hwy 50. There are several homes/lots in that section of MRE. That may be where one gate was installed.
The area where the Morphews, Cushman’s, and several vacant lots are is entered off 225 before you get to Fooses. It is called Puma Path. It is a dead end. (Puma Path is now listed as Salida as opposed to Maysville presumably to keep the lookie lou’s away.) It is my guess that the new gate is at the entrance to Puma Path.
You cannot drive from Morphews’ old home to Ritter’s without exiting Puma Path, taking a right turn on 225, and another right on Hwy 50.and going up to up to Monarch Estates Drive, which would be on your right.
I think the attachment shows it better than I can explain it.
upload_2021-11-11_8-30-57.jpeg

Attachments

• 01899637-978E-4915-BB75-661AED81D7A9.jpeg
    01899637-978E-4915-BB75-661AED81D7A9.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 39
I think the daughters public affection/hovering towards BM is sincere. I have long thought the dynamic of the Mophew home (SM, BM and two daughters) left SM out. I imagine it was a lonely place for SM to be. IMO

I think the daughters public affection/hovering towards BM is sincere. I havAge long thought the dynamic of the Mophew home (SM, BM and two daughters) left SM out. I imagine it was a lonely place for SM to be. IMO
It appears that BM was competing with his own wife for the affections of his daughters. Sick and twisted...and indications were there that SM was seriously impacted by that. But then again.....Barry competed with everyone...turkeys, lions, deer, contractors he worked with, former clients, his wife....

I think the daughters public affection/hovering towards BM is sincere. I have long thought the dynamic of the Mophew home (SM, BM and two daughters) left SM out. I imagine it was a lonely place for SM to be. IMO
I agree to a point, @K9Enzo. I think there is sincere affection between BM and his daughters, but I think this overplayed public coddling, hovering, and hanging on is way over the top and well orchestrated by the defense team. They do not want the public to think that BM’s daughters are in any way afraid of him or that they doubt his innocence. MOO
I also agree with you about the Morphew home dynamic.

Last edited:
If (speculation/pondering) LE got DNA swabs from all the likely people who might leave fingerprints on SM's car's glove box -- oil change person, tire change people, Range Rover dealership staff, car wash folks, etc -- would they be able to affirmatively match the DNA found with the person giving the swab?

And if so, shouldn't they have done that, so the glovebox DNA can be definitively ruled out?

Or maybe they have identified the person but don't need to make that known yet?
They don't need to make it known to use, but they "owe" the defense all the information they have I think is how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member