Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new aunt sent me this. I still consider her new since I just met her 2 years ago. I wish I could have known her my whole life. We seem to think alike on a lot of things.

I could have written this blog. This author has had MM for 20+ years. I can only hope and pray I’ll be that blessed. Every day is a gift.

What I Wish People Knew About My Myeloma Diagnosis

Thank you for sharing that article. My surviving sister and I have frequently talked about how our "baby" sister dealt with MM at age 57. I wish that C had stuck with treatment longer before throwing in the towel and basically giving up on life. My sister L knew how much pain C was in and didn't want to see her suffer. In our own way, I suppose we both wanted what was best for our little sister. I miss her!

Thank you for sharing that article. My surviving sister and I have frequently talked about how our "baby" sister dealt with MM at age 57. I wish that C had stuck with treatment longer before throwing in the towel and basically giving up on life. My sister L knew how much pain C was in and didn't want to see her suffer. In our own way, I suppose we both wanted what was best for our little sister. I miss her!
Ooops. I actually posted that on the wrong thread. I’m switching between my iPhone and iPad. Glad you liked it tho.

I reviewed my Thanksgiving menu with my sister yesterday. She bought a wheel of Brie and crackers that will be perfect with the cherry jam that I bought last week. L likes pumpkin cheesecake, so we will buy one at Trader Joe's. Will probably buy a chocolate dessert for those who are not fans of pumpkin-anything. She bought some holiday-themed food storage containers so everyone can have leftovers to go. I will probably start prepping on Sunday before turkey day and will do as much as I can beforehand. Mashed potatoes and Brussels sprouts with bacon and Parm will be made on Thanksgiving morning before guests arrive. My sister plans on coming Wednesday, so she'll help in the kitchen. Now that the menu is confirmed, I will start making a list and purchase what I'll need before stores get crazy busy or run out of items.

It will be just the two of us for Thanksgiving. He wants a big steak. That is easy enough.

My CSA had "celeriac" in it. I have never bought this before. It tastes like mild celery flavor, I used it in stew last week. Super good.

There are plenty of people who are not turkey fans. Can't go wrong with a big, juicy, perfectly-cooked steak any day of the year :D My homage to the Thanksgiving bird will be turkey meatballs that everyone loves. I'll serve them with mashed potatoes, doctored Nino's sage stuffing (I add stock, dried cherries, walnuts), and gravy. I will get some little buns or rolls for meatball sliders. No big bird to wrestle with and no messy carcass to clean up.

We had tuna steaks last night. Didn't have a lime for Tequila-lime marinade, but I told DH that I thought the Tajin had enough of a lime flavor and a little kick. He marinated the fish with Tequila, olive oil, sea salt, and Tajin. Delish!

Sheet pan dinner! Turned out quite good. I put the potatoes in the Instant Pot for five minutes. Then, put them on a sheet pan covered with foil, with cut up chicken apple sausage, red peppers, onions...drizzle olive oil.

25 minutes, dinner is done. Tossed in some fresh cut parsley, a few grinds of pepper, and balsamic glaze.

Serious question here, why has the term, “Friendsgiving” taken over the word Thanksgiving? My coworkers ask each other what they are doing for Friendsgiving, or talk happily about the upcoming Friendsgiving four day weekend. Grocery stores advertise Friendsgiving turkeys, and the flyers offer recipes for the best Friendsgiving ever. Our newspaper had an article discussing restaurants that were going to be open for Friendsgiving. A local store is offering free delivery of Friendsgiving meals. And so on.

Is this supposed to remove the “thanks” from Thanksgiving?

Serious question here, why has the term, “Friendsgiving” taken over the word Thanksgiving? My coworkers ask each other what they are doing for Friendsgiving, or talk happily about the upcoming Friendsgiving four day weekend. Grocery stores advertise Friendsgiving turkeys, and the flyers offer recipes for the best Friendsgiving ever. Our newspaper had an article discussing restaurants that were going to be open for Friendsgiving. A local store is offering free delivery of Friendsgiving meals. And so on.

No I don’t believe it is to replace Thanksgiving. If I remember right it started as a meal with friends for those who didn’t have family or couldn’t get home to family. My daughter and her friends do a meal & party the weekend before the actual holiday.

No ads or flyers about Friendsgiving!
It’s not common around here.
I’d never heard of it until a few years ago when a friend from PA mentioned it and he always had it on Friday after Thanksgiving.

I hadn't heard about "Friendsgiving." It doesn't show up in grocery ads here. What's wrong with "Thanksgiving with friends"? Too long, I guess. ;)

I hadn't heard about "Friendsgiving." It doesn't show up in grocery ads here. What's wrong with "Thanksgiving with friends"? Too long, I guess. ;)
Last year our Kroger flyers featured “Friendsgiving” turkeys but I don’t remember seeing it anywhere else. This year “Friendsgiving” has received much wider usage in the area where I live.

For example, I just heard a radio commercial for Hello Fresh, they mention that they have special meals for Friendsgiving.

I agree, “Thanksgiving with friends” is much better.

Last night I made a copycat recipe for In-N-Out Burger spread. It was a decent copy and sure beat waiting 14 hours in line for the real thing.

IN-N-OUT LOVERS LINE UP FOR 14 HOURS OUTSIDE NEW COLORADO LOCATION
Police were even called in for traffic control.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7.com/amp/in-n-out-colorado-aurora-line-hour-wait-time/8135444/

I would never wait 14 hours for ANY restaurant but I do love In-N-Out, and the nearest location is over 1000 miles away from my home. It’s always my first stop from the airport when I travel to California or Colorado.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert