Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really isn’t much of a recipe, just stir some ingredients together. I used the spread over Field Roast burgers, and topped them with diced caramelized onions and cheddar cheese. I lightly toasted the buns in a little butter in the skillet.

In-N-Out Burger Spread
  • ▢ 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • ▢ 3 tablespoons ketchup
  • ▢ 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
  • ▢ 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • ▢ 1 1/2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar

This is our second Thanksgiving as hermits, as one kiddo is high-risk. Last year, spouse could only eat organic potatoes (condition kinda sorta Crohn’s-like, with flare-ups), so I roasted Yukon Gold potatoes and sent the kids to playroom with ice cream and instructions to watch a pleasant movie. Spouse is GF, DF with the exception of butter & cooked yogurt, and coconut-free; kids eat pasta/rice, broccoli, and cupcakes. I’ll probably make chelow (rice with a crispy crust - link below and yes, the results are worth the steps), make a garlicky creamy cauliflower soup that only I’ll eat, do a simple roasted chicken, add steamed broccoli, and make a surprise ice cream/toppings tray so kids will have good memories.

Chelow (Persian-Style Rice with Golden Crust) | Cook's Illustrated

Link didn't work for me, but I can understand not wanting to deal with the stress of hosting and preparing a big dinner. You have to clean the house, plan and shop for the dinner, cook it, and clean up afterwards. Even if some guests bring side dishes or desserts, it's still a lot of work!

Couldn't have said it better! Not to mention dealing with picky eaters, family bickering/drama, dreaded discussion topics like politics or religion, etc. Thanksgiving can be physically and mentally exhausting.

You can dress it up with fresh diced tomatoes. I used to host people 1-2/week and that was my trick with limited time :). Prepared soup with something fresh, fools them every time!
Yes, we did that when garden plants were still producing. The tomatoes in the store now are pricey and have no flavor. Not doing Thanksgiving so we’re keeping it simple.

Yes, we did that when garden plants were still producing. The tomatoes in the store now are pricey and have no flavor. Not doing Thanksgiving so we’re keeping it simple.
Even the expensive, red, ripe tomatoes available at the store now have no flavor. They look good but are flavorless.

The only place I have found good tomatoes year round are at a chain of sub shops called Jersey Mike’s. I go there frequently, and they have amazing red tasty fresh tomatoes even in the winter. I have visited many locations of Jersey Mike’s in several states and the tomatoes are always excellent.

I always order a veggie sub with extra tomatoes :)

My sister asked me to bring Deviled Eggs as an appetizer for Thanksgiving, along with my cheese board. I have never made Deviled Eggs before and used this recipe as a practice. I was pleasantly surprised that they came out so good! Looking forward to having a normal Thanksgiving this year!

Spicy Keto Deviled Eggs With Bacon - Savory Tooth

My sister asked me to bring Deviled Eggs as an appetizer for Thanksgiving, along with my cheese board. I have never made Deviled Eggs before and used this recipe as a practice. I was pleasantly surprised that they came out so good! Looking forward to having a normal Thanksgiving this year!

Spicy Keto Deviled Eggs With Bacon - Savory Tooth

Thanks! That's a great idea. Healthy and not fussy.

We're just having our son, his wife and their daughter and my sister. Not a big group as in the past. One year we had 20 people, some strangers and friends of friends.

I’ll probably make chelow (rice with a crispy crust - link below and yes, the results are worth the steps), make a garlicky creamy cauliflower soup that only I’ll eat, do a simple roasted chicken, add steamed broccoli, and make a surprise ice cream/toppings tray so kids will have good memories.

Chelow (Persian-Style Rice with Golden Crust) | Cook's Illustrated
Ooh, do you have a recipe to share for the cauliflower soup? Thanks in advance, that sounds divine!

Ooh, do you have a recipe to share for the cauliflower soup? Thanks in advance, that sounds divine!

I don’t. I think 15yrs ago, I started with Pioneer Woman’s version and (significantly) altered it over the years. The main thing is that I don’t use cream - I use puréed potatoes or a mix of puréed potato/cauliflower. I like a creamy base with chunks of cauliflower and celery and lots of garlic. If I’m making a decadent soup for others, though, I’ll add cream to the purée, only use a little garlic, and top with a cheese.

I’ll do the same with broccoli soup - swap puréed potato/cauliflower for the cream.

Cauliflower Soup

I don’t. I think 15yrs ago, I started with Pioneer Woman’s version and (significantly) altered it over the years. The main thing is that I don’t use cream - I use puréed potatoes or a mix of puréed potato/cauliflower. I like a creamy base with chunks of cauliflower and celery and lots of garlic. If I’m making a decadent soup for others, though, I’ll add cream to the purée, only use a little garlic, and top with a cheese.

I’ll do the same with broccoli soup - swap puréed potato/cauliflower for the cream.

Cauliflower Soup
Thanks!

Last year our Kroger flyers featured “Friendsgiving” turkeys but I don’t remember seeing it anywhere else. This year “Friendsgiving” has received much wider usage in the area where I live.

For example, I just heard a radio commercial for Hello Fresh, they mention that they have special meals for Friendsgiving.

I agree, “Thanksgiving with friends” is much better.
Just heard a radio commercial that mentioned Thanksgiving, whether you celebrate with friends or your “family of origin.”

I remember as a child some had begun referring to Thanksgiving as “Turkey Day” and our mom very vocally objected to it whenever someone said it. She said that calling Thanksgiving “Turkey Day” was taking the “thankfulness” out of it. Just like she objected to referencing Christmas as “X-mas.”

There are plenty of people who are not turkey fans. Can't go wrong with a big, juicy, perfectly-cooked steak any day of the year :D My homage to the Thanksgiving bird will be turkey meatballs that everyone loves. I'll serve them with mashed potatoes, doctored Nino's sage stuffing (I add stock, dried cherries, walnuts), and gravy. I will get some little buns or rolls for meatball sliders. No big bird to wrestle with and no messy carcass to clean up.

We had tuna steaks last night. Didn't have a lime for Tequila-lime marinade, but I told DH that I thought the Tajin had enough of a lime flavor and a little kick. He marinated the fish with Tequila, olive oil, sea salt, and Tajin. Delish!

I love the idea of turkey meatballs.
What do you put in them?

Sheet pan dinner! Turned out quite good. I put the potatoes in the Instant Pot for five minutes. Then, put them on a sheet pan covered with foil, with cut up chicken apple sausage, red peppers, onions...drizzle olive oil.

25 minutes, dinner is done. Tossed in some fresh cut parsley, a few grinds of pepper, and balsamic glaze.

What temp?
I'm never sure which temp to use.....

Been in the kitchen today using my new mixer. The white one is 15+ years old. Last year I found the gray one on sale. It worked great!

Made 3 mini loaves of pumpkin bread from the Pillsbury box mix. Made the pear bread recipe again and it is gluten free. I bought disposable mini loaf pans with lids since some of these will be gifts. They’ll be in the freezer until I need them.

Made a batch of chocolate chip cookie dough and froze it in little spoonfuls so it is easy to bake. Made oatmeal raisin cookie dough and it’s in the fridge. I ran out of brown sugar!! So, I won’t be able to get the gluten free cookie dough done today.

I’m in charge of cookies for the 6 teen boys helping my friend move Sat. So I will bake the cookies tomorrow night.

Here is the link for the pans I’m using:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G7KNKMG?ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Attachments

• 889A8D62-8BAB-40E1-9ABC-3C988D63EB2F.jpeg
    889A8D62-8BAB-40E1-9ABC-3C988D63EB2F.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 07B1538A-0CD1-4136-9AA3-3247B7624A91.jpeg
    07B1538A-0CD1-4136-9AA3-3247B7624A91.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 21
  • FF1BEFC5-EE80-4939-AF53-38A732F27440.jpeg
    FF1BEFC5-EE80-4939-AF53-38A732F27440.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 22
Been in the kitchen today using my new mixer. The white one is 15+ years old. Last year I found the gray one on sale. It worked great!

Made 3 mini loaves of pumpkin bread from the Pillsbury box mix. Made the pear bread recipe again and it is gluten free. I bought disposable mini loaf pans with lids since some of these will be gifts. They’ll be in the freezer until I need them.

Made a batch of chocolate chip cookie dough and froze it in little spoonfuls so it is easy to bake. Made oatmeal raisin cookie dough and it’s in the fridge. I ran out of brown sugar!! So, I won’t be able to get the gluten free cookie dough done today.

I’m in charge of cookies for the 6 teen boys helping my friend move Sat. So I will bake the cookies tomorrow night.

Here is the link for the pans I’m using:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G7KNKMG?ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details&th=1

You have been busy! Those are lucky boys--they will love your cookies. And the mini loaves will make great gifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2