TX - Chad Read 54, shot/killed by ex's bf, Kyle Carruth, in custody dispute, Lubbock, 5 Nov 2021

everythinglubbock.com has a report and statement now from Kyles lawyer to potential jurors, uh I mean the public. It goes into the media being critical of LE for withholding standard police report info and the local prosecutor recusing. The lawyer speaks for LE too by saying they didn’t have cause for charges and what a great job they do, tho LE hasn’t declared it justified yet but I think they will. Jumping out ahead of this with these statements is funky.
Well, when you know you have a weak case, no lawyer is above *advertiser censored** kissing. I

According to the statement, the atty says that the unarmed guy threatened to take the gun and use it with a few other choice MF words. I still think the provoking is the key but they are going to say it was a warning. He repeats that they kept telling him to leave the property. Key word being property.
If I’m not mistaken, when viewing that video that was posted on here a couple of days ago, the lawyer guy said that none of that matters. Not the words, or the posturing between the men prior to the shooting or even the fact that Kyle could have stayed in the house and called 911 to avoid any further conflict. What it comes down to is that window of time and distance when Kyle decided to pull the trigger twice. IMO

I don't feel like I would fire a warning shot if I wasn't fearful, but that's just me.

I do agree he would have been golden if he'd have shot him the first time--not sure if we'll ever find out if it was a warning shot or a negligent discharge.

I'm hoping there is more video so we can see if CR was advancing toward KC before the final 2 shots. There is a still photo floating around that makes it appear he was, but I think video is needed to confirm the timing of the shot and the lifting of his leg that makes it appear CR was moving towards KC. As Andrew Branca said in the video posted up thread, even a shift of CR's body weight toward KC would make it more likely to be self defense.
And there’s always, what looks to be a door bell camera on the house too. IMO

I don't feel like I would fire a warning shot if I wasn't fearful, but that's just me.

I do agree he would have been golden if he'd have shot him the first time--not sure if we'll ever find out if it was a warning shot or a negligent discharge.

I'm hoping there is more video so we can see if CR was advancing toward KC before the final 2 shots. There is a still photo floating around that makes it appear he was, but I think video is needed to confirm the timing of the shot and the lifting of his leg that makes it appear CR was moving towards KC. As Andrew Branca said in the video posted up thread, even a shift of CR's body weight toward KC would make it more likely to be self defense.
And to me, him firing that shot in the floor seemed more like anger than fear. He was peeved off because Chad wouldn’t listen to him. IMO

Or peeved that Chad reached for the gun. Not sure which is the reason.
Sure! Kyle was intimidated by Chad’s bravado and that just made Kyle more furious. Ya can’t kill somebody just because you don’t like them, Kyle. He wasn’t in fear for his life, he wasn’t protecting himself or anyone else from Chad.
He used his weapon merely as intimidation and when he discovered it didn’t intimidate Chad, he killed him! IMO

Hearsay. If he was looking for a confrontation why didn't he have his own gun.
Exacalackalacally! Mr.Read was a responsible father and would not be “packing heat” when he was planning on an outing with his children. Sure can’t say the same for Kyle, he had his weapon just ready waiting for an opportunity to use it. Heck, he didn’t even care if he shot someone inside the house when he aimed right at it. IMO

Sure! Kyle was intimidated by Chad’s bravado and that just made Kyle more furious. Ya can’t kill somebody just because you don’t like them, Kyle. He wasn’t in fear for his life, he wasn’t protecting himself or anyone else from Chad.
He used his weapon merely as intimidation and when he discovered it didn’t intimidate Chad, he killed him! IMO
It’s something people don’t seem to understand. Guns aren’t magical talismans that ward off evil. Sure brandishing them may occasionally get somebody to change their behavior, but you’ll occasionally get that person who calls your bluff. Idk what was going through Chad’s head, but he was clearly angry or brave enough to advance on an armed person.

Exacalackalacally! Mr.Read was a responsible father and would not be “packing heat” when he was planning on an outing with his children. Sure can’t say the same for Kyle, he had his weapon just ready waiting for an opportunity to use it. Heck, he didn’t even care if he shot someone inside the house when he aimed right at it. IMO
I wouldn’t say getting into fights with and threatening people who are armed is very responsible. As I said before, Chad is likely a victim here, but that doesn’t make him a morally pure individual. There needs to be a distinction there.

Possibly but I think what this is going to boil down to (if the shooter is charged) is the state statutes on self defense and the castle doctrine in the state of Texas. IMO.

Agree. Texas indicts by a grand jury, and Texas also has their own version of the Castle Doctrine. At this time, I think it's a matter of wait and see -- especially since the record has been sealed.

The Castle Doctrine: Understanding Self-Defense in Texas

I wouldn’t say getting into fights with and threatening people who are armed is very responsible. As I said before, Chad is likely a victim here, but that doesn’t make him a morally pure individual. There needs to be a distinction there.
No one is morally pure and I don’t know either of these two men personally. Chad did not go there looking for a fight. His being upset that his ex-wife failed to comply with a court order is justifiable, especially if she had interfered with visits in the past. And then Kyle coming out with a gun was just the icing on the cake! It’s odd really, Christina standing off to the side, video taping and not saying much. Almost feels like a set up. IMO

It seems to me that in order to claim self defense, the shooter would need justification for expecting the dead guy to leave when told to do so. The issue with expecting the dead guy to leave IMO is that he was there to pick up his kid. It’s not like he just randomly showed up for no reason and refused to leave. Then the shooter escalates the entire situation by going inside for a gun. Why? The dead guy had no weapon and had made no threats at that point.

I don’t know exactly how the murder vs manslaughter statutes read for Texas, but just from watching the video, it doesn’t feel like the shooter was entirely justified given the totality of circumstances.

This feels like murder to me

MOO

2nd degree or manslaughter at the least. I’m hopeful that they get some prior communications from the couple to maybe see if this was planned or something. It just seems that if LE don’t pursue this, they are saying that weapons are welcome in any conflict as long as was is near home or their vehicle.

It seems to me that in order to claim self defense, the shooter would need justification for expecting the dead guy to leave when told to do so. The issue with expecting the dead guy to leave IMO is that he was there to pick up his kid. It’s not like he just randomly showed up for no reason and refused to leave. Then the shooter escalates the entire situation by going inside for a gun. Why? The dead guy had no weapon and had made no threats at that point.

I don’t know exactly how the murder vs manslaughter statutes read for Texas, but just from watching the video, it doesn’t feel like the shooter was entirely justified given the totality of circumstances.
Yes and I believe the moment the shooter is smiling when they're centimeters apart is when he finally tells Mr. Read that his son isn't here / I don't have your son.

Mr. Read's body language is of a person waiting for someone.

Yes and I believe the moment the shooter is smiling when they're centimeters apart is when he finally tells Mr. Read that his son isn't here / I don't have your son.

Mr. Read's body language is of a person waiting for someone.

CR knew his son wasn't there within the first 15 seconds of the video. Maybe even before that, since we aren't sure if we have the video from the start or if it's been edited.

Here's a link to the video so you can watch it

https://twitter.com/RyanChandler98/status/1463654744803713029?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53