Alec Baldwin fired prop gun, killing 1 on movie set, Oct 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colt revolvers can be used as "repeaters" by fanning the hammer. I think the trigger has to be squeezed before the hammer is pulled back to allow repeat action. Fully cocking the weapon moves a bullet in front of the hammer, and then failure to ease the hammer down carefully can result in firing.

IOW, the hammer is part of the trigger mechanism, and it's not only the trigger that can shoot the gun. We've probably all seen westerns were someone fans the cocking mechanism to go "blam blam blam" rapidly (usually 5 shots).

I believe he didn't pull the hammer far enough back, but pulled it back past its half-*advertiser censored* position. He then says he "released the hammer," so the hammer fell on the bullet and discharged it.

The investigators have not said the gun is faulty. Baldwin almost certainly had his finger on the trigger.

His story about being told by “someone” decades ago to blindly trust the “prop guy” doesn’t wash, there are very specific and detailed rules on handling weapons on the set. Baldwin should know them, especially as a veteran actor in previous films where he used guns, and as the producer of this film.

Again, about trusting the “prop guy” without inspecting the gun, it wasn’t the armorer who handed him the gun, it was the assistant director. It’s not the AD’s job to be in charge of the weapons and had no business giving anyone a gun and declaring it cold. Alec blindly accepted a gun from someone he should have known wasn’t qualified to be in charge of weapons on set.

I think he should be charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Given what the DA said yesterday, there's definitely a chance of it.

The Santa Fe DA Is Not Happy With Alec Baldwin's Interview About The "Rust" Shooting

This discussion is interesting. My husband has a lot of guns, he is always cleaning them, tinkering... I often wondered if he was OCD, with how often he double and triple checks the gun for a bullet, in the chamber, or barrel, clip, wherever...he checks it before cleaning, before putting it away, before handing it to someone, after cleaning, when getting it out of the safe...on and on...

Of course, no one has ever been accidentally shot here, either.

So many yikes in this article. They are MAD in NM after AB's interview :eek::eek::eek:

Alec Baldwin TV Interview Leads DA To Assert ‘Rust Shooting Charges Possible – Deadline

If there were any justice in this world, Baldwin would be charged with negligent homicide at least. OF course, as we all know, there are two tiers of justice in the USA--one for regular people like you and I, and one for celebrities, politicians and senior government officials. That being the case. I don't expect Baldwin to face any charges.

If there were any justice in this world, Baldwin would be charged with negligent homicide at least. OF course, as we all know, there are two tiers of justice in the USA--one for regular people like you and I, and one for celebrities, politicians and senior government officials. That being the case. I don't expect Baldwin to face any charges.

That is interesting, and probably very true. If I had shot a coworker, and my defense was that I was rehearsing for a play, and someone handed me a gun, I was told it was not loaded, so I was just doing my rehearsing...

I am pretty sure I would be charged, if nothing else, at the very least negligence.

Yeah, we're friendly folks here in the Land of Enchantment but you start treating our LE like Mayberry RFD and you'll discover they aren't.
Yes, I see what you mean.

Also, I think his interview on ABC was bad optics because it wasn't set up to look like a real interview of a regular person involved in a tragic incident like this. If you or I were being interviewed about a possible 'criminal negligence manslaughter' charge, we wouldn't be sitting in an intimate living room setting with Stephenopoulus, looking as if we were having cognac after a dinner party at his home.

They looked like very close friends having an awkward convo about a recent incident. The interviewer whispered the softball questions with such reverence and politeness. It did not seem objective.

One big question that wasn't asked---It has been said in early reports that the AD was a stand in for that camera rehearsal before AB arrived from his lunch break. And it was said that the AD was holding that same gun and doing those same movements for quite awhile and NOTHING bad happened.

What was the difference between the way the AD handled it and the way AB handled it, while doing the same movements?

Other than one article, I have not seen anyone claim that AD stood in for Alec Baldwin. Even if it's true, gun was loaded with six rounds. At least four were dummies. Until the live bullet was in the correct position, nothing would have happened even if somebody pulled the trigger (or the hammer-whatever sets that gun off).

I can see why the Baldwins are getting roasted. Hilaria should have left her gushing letter to AB on his pillow, not on Instagram. Didn’t AB say to the reporter in the impromptu roadside interview that he couldn’t talk about the case while it was still under investigation? The interview with George S was clearly a move by AB for crisis control, and it’s not going over well.

There is a 20/20 show coming on Friday. I wonder if it will be more unbiased.
Friday December 10 2021 at 10 p.m. ET/PT and 9 p.m. CT, ABC broadcasts an episode of 20/20, delving into the events ahead of the deadly shooting on the set of “Rust” and the pending investigations into what went wrong. The episode features an interview with Alec Baldwin and new interviews.

I think its very odd to air this 20/20 before the police have got to the bottom of it. We still don't even know how the bullets got on the set or what really happened with the gun if it's faulty etc.

Who's gonna watch two hours with no answers at the end of it?

That is interesting, and probably very true. If I had shot a coworker, and my defense was that I was rehearsing for a play, and someone handed me a gun, I was told it was not loaded, so I was just doing my rehearsing...

I am pretty sure I would be charged, if nothing else, at the very least negligence.

Good point and applicable in any given situation.

I could be at a friend's barbeque and handed a gun by the friend and told it isn't loaded don't worry. But if I cocked it and pulled the trigger shooting someone, both me and the gun owner would be liable and no doubt charged.

"But he told me it wasn't loaded."

"Too bad, you shouldn't have pulled the trigger around other people."

"You shouldn't have taken any risk with shooting that gun. You took the risk. Bad risk."

RISK
expose (someone or something valued) to danger, harm, or loss.

Last edited:
Good point and applicable in any given situation.

I could be at a friend's barbeque and handed a gun by the friend and told it isn't loaded don't worry. But if I cocked it and pulled the trigger shooting someone, both me and the gun owner would be liable and no doubt charged.

"But he told me it wasn't loaded."

"Too bad, you shouldn't have pulled the trigger around other people."

"You shouldn't have taken any risk with shooting that gun. You took the risk. Bad risk."

RISK
expose (someone or something valued) to danger, harm, or loss.
Let's not forget the relevant points of the Screen Actor's Guild guidelines for an actor:

AS AN ACTOR, YOU ARE ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE fOR YOUR OWN SAFETY AND THE SAFETY Of YOUR FELLOW CAST MEMBERS.

Production management and crew are responsible for creating and maintaining safe conditions, but it is your right and responsibility to double check the set up to ensure your own Safety.

Treat all weapons as though they are loaded and/or ready to use. Do not play with weapons and never point one at anyone, including yourself.

https://www.sagaftra.org/files/safety_bulletins_amptp_part_1_9_3_0.pdf

Let's not forget the relevant points of the Screen Actor's Guild guidelines for an actor:

AS AN ACTOR, YOU ARE ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE fOR YOUR OWN SAFETY AND THE SAFETY Of YOUR FELLOW CAST MEMBERS.

Production management and crew are responsible for creating and maintaining safe conditions, but it is your right and responsibility to double check the set up to ensure your own Safety.

Treat all weapons as though they are loaded and/or ready to use. Do not play with weapons and never point one at anyone, including yourself.

https://www.sagaftra.org/files/safety_bulletins_amptp_part_1_9_3_0.pdf

This rule is exactly why he is blaming Halyna for her own death. Pure evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard