MI - 4 students killed, 6 injured, Oxford High School shooting, 30 Nov 2021 *Arrest incl parents* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where I live we do not send 14 year old's to work menial jobs.
I very well may have missed your point here, if so I apologize. I think a job is often the best thing young people can do to grow up, mature, and understand responsibility. Menial,(?) at 14 years old most positions aren't prestigious, most jobs are menial but necessary. I am also a believer that all honest work counts. "Pride goes before the fall"

Last edited:
A good point but I think his mental state will see keep him confined for a long time. The lawyers on here can comment if this is accurate, but I read an article that being found not guilty by insanity can mean even longer confinement. It’s up to the courts discretion whether you’re released or not, there’s no finite ending date and
most are behind bars for the rest of their life.

My former stepson stabbed his brother and mother almost to death some years ago. He was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia after his arrest. He and the family chose not to go for an insanity defense because of what you wrote... no specific end date. They chose the 7 years in prison.

I would think if he had shown up drunk at work his drunk behavior would’ve been obvious from the moment he walked through the door. Their boss was not shy about discussing the marijuana situation with his half brother, I would think she would have said if she suspected he was drunk.
I 100 percent agree. I think the boss would have said so if she thought he was drunk (at 11 am no less). Or if she was being coy, she might have listed it as a possibility along with a medical issue. It does not exclude the possibility, but I don't think we can assume it.

Not sure what else could cause that. I have seen more than one young man slump to the floor from anxiety attacks, but I don't recall seeing the sideways walking part.

I 100 percent agree. I think the boss would have said so if she thought he was drunk (at 11 am no less). Or if she was being coy, she might have listed it as a possibility along with a medical issue. It does not exclude the possibility, but I don't think we can assume it.

Not sure what else could cause that. I have seen more than one young man slump to the floor from anxiety attacks, but I don't recall seeing the sideways walking part.

BBM

Vertigo. Happened to me in my office once after I got up too fast. I was afraid to walk (even though the dizziness made me nauseous) because I would have looked just like that.

I think as a business owner, I would keep a video like that for legal reasons.

Speaking of business owners, does anyone know whether or not there is surveillance video of the transaction when Ethan accompanied his father to the gun shop on Black Friday? It would be interesting to see what transpired during the sale of the weapon. Was Ethan allowed to handle the gun to check the weight, feel, ease of handling, etc.? I've never been in a gun shop, but I imagine that there are cameras everywhere because such vendors would be targets for break-ins and thefts. JMO

BBM

Vertigo. Happened to me in my office once after I got up too fast. I was afraid to walk (even though the dizziness made me nauseous) because I would have looked just like that.
Orthostatic intolerance causes it too, which is associated with many disorders, like ehlers-danlos, ME/CFS, and mitral valve prolapse. I've passed out dozens of time, at work (when I was able to work); I have cfs. Moo.

I was just rereading the statement put out by the superintendent that laid out the events of the two days. Obviously it doesn't mention names so I'm wondering if the staff members who meet with EC about searching for bullets on his phone weren't the same as those who met with him the morning of the shooting. Perhaps the staff members the day of the shooting had no idea about the bullet searches. It only mentions the dean of students in the meeting the day of the shooting and not the previous day. I'm not sure how many counselors they have that could have contact with him. Just a thought.

The school was unaware that Ethan received hand gun for Christmas four days earlier, but the parents knew.

True, but the search for ammo should have been something to consider -- before the fact -- and maybe it was. Sadly, schools have become such targets for shootings in the US, it should have been a read flag, IMO, especially since Ethan was already known as a student of concern. SMH, and Sunday-morning quarterbacking.

As an educator, during the pandemic, so many schools went virtual, there was an oddly realized relief in not worrying about school shootings. Now, we are back in school and it is always in the back of your head again. During your commute or the quiet of your night or when you bolt the room windows every afternoon. Our schools need to be like families, where everyone knows they are loved. That is the best job we can do before any educating. Keep smiling, saying hello to every student. Include each student. And as a parent, do not have those parties where you invite 13 classmates and leave 2 out. Ever.
Good thoughts and ideas. Picked-on, bullied, laughed-at, excluded, name-calling, etc. -- some kids just brush it off, some kids don't...

I do feel sorry for Ethan. How can his mom send him to work like that and then brush it off after she was called about his fall? As a parent, I would have been very concerned. This is not normal behavior for a 14 year old (at the time).
I would have had him in my car on the way to the doctor's office or the ER. It certainly isn't normal -- drugs or sickness or a call for help or attention. What went on in that home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member