TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Risking their own lives, these Border Patrol Agents and other officers put themselves between the shooter and children on the scene to draw the shooter’s attention away from potential victims and save lives," Espinosa added. "At least one Border Patrol Agent was wounded by the shooter during the exchange of gunfire. On-and-off duty Border Patrol Agents arrived on the scene to assist with transferring students safely to their families and providing medical support."

Border Patrol agents are heroes

Sandy Hook was so shocking I thought things would change. Now here we are again.

The only thing that has changed is that the list of atrocities is longer and we as a nation pay less attention unless the toll is incredibly high. As these numbers climb, my heart goes out to all in this community.

We can only hope that the deniers and charlatans who called Sandy Hook a hoax are not seen in this tragedy. Those folks re-traumatized all who lived through and/or lost loved ones in Sandy Hook and at Stoneman Douglas.

Where will Uvalde fit in this list?

Virginia Tech 33 deaths and 17 wounded.
Sandy Hook 20 children and 6 adults dead and 2 wounded.
U of Texas Tower shooting 18 killed and 31 wounded.
Stoneman Douglas 17 dead and 17 wounded.
Columbine 15 dead and 24 wounded.

Last edited:
Exactly.

Public schools need to mirror hardened facilities in the United States. To NOT do so is absolute negligence.
Agreed 100 %.
And think about it (general speculation here), what buildings are the least likely to experience a mass casualty shooting ?
Banks and police stations.
Because they're well-protected.

With the shooting in Buffalo, NY, and today's mass murder, I believe there were red flags that may have been missed.
If we cannot prevent such people from taking their rage out on innocent people, we need to make schools and any other 'soft targets' incl. churches as secure as any bank.
No more 'soft targets'.

When walking into a bank, it doesn't feel (in my opinion) like a prison or detention center, rather it's more like a secure facility that would make any potential perp think twice about committing a mass murder !

At least that's my take on it.

Are all schools doing this? Are they warned of copy cats?

It is not uncommon for schools to do a precaution day like this. Kids are on edge and often that is the time that someone might make an off color remark or a joke or think phoning in a threat is a great prank. It give peace of mind to students and teachers.

Things I wonder - did the other adults in his life - grandmother, parents/aunts/uncles if there are any he spent tine with - know he purchased these weapons? They couldn't have stopped him, but they would have known he wasn't happy and thriving. Did they fear him or what he might do? I am not blaming them but wondering the dynamics. Did he have troubles as an elementary/ middle-school aged kid? Did he ever have a job? Did he have any criminal record? Just thinking out loud.

Helpless. Are we all feeling the same?

Over the next few days, the names and photos of the children will be released. Their stories. How they were looking forward to summer, 2nd or 4th grade graduation, birthday parties, summer camp, swimming, staying up late, family vacations. All wiped out.. forever.

We are helpless to to fix it. Helpless to explain to our kids and grandkids that they are safe, when we know they are not.

All we can do is brace for the heartache we will witness over the coming days. Then we will try to move on.

Until it happens again.

Things I wonder - did the other adults in his life - grandmother, parents/aunts/uncles if there are any he spent tine with - know he purchased these weapons? They couldn't have stopped him, but they would have known he wasn't happy and thriving. Did they fear him or what he might do? I am not blaming them but wondering the dynamics. Did he have troubles as an elementary/ middle-school aged kid? Did he ever have a job? Did he have any criminal record? Just thinking out loud.

I have been wondering that too. Since he is a high school, I am sure students would be around him.

When walking into a bank, it doesn't feel (in my opinion) like a prison or detention center, rather it's more like a secure facility that would make any potential perp think twice about committing a mass murder !
That's the thing, though. You can just walk into a bank. It doesn't feel like a prison for that reason--you can walk in and you can walk out.

Of course I'm in favor of anything that will keep our children safe, even if it is to make schools feel like prisons. However, in this age group, elementary school, there are many kids who have trouble adjusting to leaving home. There are kids with various school phobias and separation anxiety. A daunting environment which is built to protect them is going to afflict more little children who already have conflicts about going to school.

Naturally though we'd prefer conflicted children to dead children, but making schools seem tense is in fact going to intensify a problem for many children.

My granddaughter's high school has metal detectors, even though it's in a very safe neighborhood in NYC. Mostly the kids are annoyed by it because the lines are long and when it's cold out they just want to get inside quickly. They do understand why it's important, though.

The school where I taught for 25 years, a middle school in a safe neighborhood in NYC, did not have metal detectors. A visitor has to sign in with the guards and show I.D. but that's it.
If an adult comes in with proper I.D. and claims something like he or she is there to pick up a younger sibling early, but then chooses to run amok, they could.

To me, the greatest issue is why are assault rifles available to anyone at all, when their purpose is in fact to assault. I'm not a gun-owner, but I understand in parts of the country people like to hunt, or want to protect their homes, etc. I can't comprehend why anyone should be able to purchase a weapon which screams "assault" in its description if they're not LE or military.

Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member