TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG, not again. How many times have we said that? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. America has 400 million guns in circulation. That figure includes 40 million that were bought legally in 2020 alone. If guns are purchased to safeguard the lives of Americans why isn't it working? The United States should be the safest country in the world because you own more weapons than the military. It's not working out that way, though, is it? The most vulnerable humans in America are being slaughtered on a regular basis. Little kids. Five year olds who believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

It is obscene. I'm sick of thoughts and prayers. I feel revulsion when I hear someone say, It's the price of freedom. Most of the people slaughtered in the United States are murdered with weapons that were bought legally by individuals who for all intents and purposes were reasonable people who gave no indication that they were 'off'. They are not 'off' until they are. It's the human condition.

Car manufacturers recall millions of vehicles because of things like engine compartment fire risks or defective airbags without having even one fatality. IKEA recalled millions of dressers world wide because of a tip hazard that killed 2 young children. So why, when over 400 students have been slaughtered by persons with weapons there isn't a groundswell of voices raised, a veritable tsunami of protest.

Killings will always happen, it the reality of life but there is something so terribly wrong when it's little kids who are being targeted. Grief can be palpable but without anger and resolve it's impotent. Releasing balloons and laying wreaths, burning candles and piling up teddy bears is empty action. They may as well just be recycled for the next time.

News just said that parents who are gathered in a room and have not yet located their missing child are providing DNA swabs to facilitate identification of their children, who are likely still in the school - murdered.
Absolutely brutal.
I really hate to say this, is that how to ID children that are so unreconizeable from being shot? They were so small!

The family of a 4th-grade student confirmed that he was a victim in Tuesday's shooting. According to his cousin, Xavier's mom was at his awards ceremony 1-2 hours prior to the shooting, not knowing it would be the last time she was seeing him. https://bit.ly/3wLH9OK

Attachments

• 53150A46-2298-4BD0-A5D8-78D9DF588E21.jpeg
    53150A46-2298-4BD0-A5D8-78D9DF588E21.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 12
We will read and comment regarding this preventable tragedy for what...1-3 ish weeks.

Parents, extended families, siblings, classmates, neighbor kids will feel the stinging in their chest, will be without breaths because of heartbreak. They will miss their kids something fierce...they will miss them so much. For the rest of their lives, not just the 1-3 weeks ish until another happens and these kids are forgotton by the public.

They have their rooms to go home to. Their toys, games, clothes. Constant reminders of how their kids saw a nightmare in real life played out in front of their eyes.

All those kids wanted their Mamas and Dads in those final moments.

UVALDE, Texas—The 18-year-old gunman who opened fire at a Texas elementary school, killing at least 19 kids and two adults, bought two assault rifles on his birthday and appeared to send some ominous Instagram messages just hours before the massacre.

Although Salvador Ramos was described as “quiet” by numerous people who knew him, a young woman who worked with him at Wendy’s until March detected an aggressive streak.

“He would be very rude towards the girls sometimes, and one of the cooks, threatening them by asking, 'Do you know who I am?' And he would also send inappropriate texts to the ladies,” said the former co-worker, who did not want her name used.

“At the park, there’d be videos of him trying to fight people with boxing gloves. He’d take them around with him.”

<snip>

John Morales, who lives next-door to Ramos' paternal grandmother, told The Daily Beast that the teen used to play the first-person shooter game Call of Duty with Morales' 15-year-old son. But he said he had not seen Ramos around the neighborhood for quite some time.

Nayeli, an 18-year-old who declined to give her last name, told The Daily Beast late Tuesday that she and Ramos had been students together, but she didn't know him well. “I had a math class with him,” she said, adding, “He was pretty quiet in class.”

Am going to reword this, not sure that even I agree with my thoughts.
Trying to stay within the discussion guidelines.
Regulation and laws only work if they're enforced properly and there is the issue as I see it.
A good post by Arkay nonetheless and much food for thought !

Last edited:
With utmost respect to those recommending secure entrances and metal detectors at school buildings, we would have to completely rebuild both high schools in my district, and include internal entrances to the gyms, greenhouse, welding shop, auto shop, and ensure there was capacity inside the building to never need portables. My students ingress and egress buildings multiple times per day on my campus.

We’d also have to totally rebuild half the primary schools and a couple of middle schools as well.

And I’m completely fine with that being the answer… but where would we house the students in the meantime?

I also pray that the public will refrain from pointing fingers at the high school staff and students who had this shooter at their school. I can’t imagine what they are going through tonight.

I agree we should try to focus on mental health. The gun debate will go nowhere as usual but that's exactly where our politicians will go. Mental health is a serious crisis in this country and it's going to get worse due to the covid lock downs. Of course no way will our government come together and fix it. IMO

Also, my child's school has a resource officer (county deputy with gun) and the doors are locked from the outside and must be buzzed in. The doors are not locked from the inside and kids can go out with no issue.

Hours after many parents from Robb Elementary School in Uvalde first learned about Tuesday's mass shooting, they are still waiting to learn if their children are okay.
The frantic parents have gone from the school to the hospital to the civic center and no one can tell them what happened to their child, Late Thursday, they began swabbing the parents for DNA at the civic center.
More at article.

im from australia and im sorry i dont understand american gun laws here in australia our gun laws are very strict they are alot like the uks gun laws we dont get school masscares or supermarket shootings im sorry but i cant understand how 19 little kids and 2 teachers can just go to school and some one with a gun shoots them for no reason mental health in america ( and here) needs alot more funding and to be looked into more

bolded by myself
Good post. ^^^^^

I'm curious if the weapons the murderer used were bought legally by himself or his parents/family ?
They're not cheap firearms.
It's sad to think that he might have been stopped by the border patrol before gaining access to the school.

What about more regulations that are effective ?
The laws could be changed.
You're right about people who do hunt for food, and that will most likely not change.
What do you think about those who hunt being allowed to have a weapon for the hunting season and then turning it back in to the gov't. ?
Again, more regulation might be the answer.
Everyone would be safer in the long run.
-- my two cents.
Criminals and terrorists don’t obey the laws.

UVALDE, Texas—The 18-year-old gunman who opened fire at a Texas elementary school, killing at least 19 kids and two adults, bought two assault rifles on his birthday and appeared to send some ominous Instagram messages just hours before the massacre.

Although Salvador Ramos was described as “quiet” by numerous people who knew him, a young woman who worked with him at Wendy’s until March detected an aggressive streak.

“He would be very rude towards the girls sometimes, and one of the cooks, threatening them by asking, 'Do you know who I am?' And he would also send inappropriate texts to the ladies,” said the former co-worker, who did not want her name used.

“At the park, there’d be videos of him trying to fight people with boxing gloves. He’d take them around with him.”

<snip>

John Morales, who lives next-door to Ramos' paternal grandmother, told The Daily Beast that the teen used to play the first-person shooter game Call of Duty with Morales' 15-year-old son. But he said he had not seen Ramos around the neighborhood for quite some time.

Nayeli, an 18-year-old who declined to give her last name, told The Daily Beast late Tuesday that she and Ramos had been students together, but she didn't know him well. “I had a math class with him,” she said, adding, “He was pretty quiet in class.”

Snipped and Bolded by me….

He would be very rude towards the girls sometimes, and one of the cooks, threatening them by asking, 'Do you know who I am?' And he would also send inappropriate texts to the ladies,” said the former co-worker, who did not want her name used.

This sounds like he wanted to be known.

Criminals and terrorists don’t obey the laws.
I understand
I reworded my post.
This is a thorny issue.
How many red flags were missed with this perp ?
I don't know. But I'm guessing more than a few.

Edited to say , if a person who is 18 is showing signs of severe disturbance, can they be committed or is it a lost cause if the person in question hasn't yet committed any crimes ?

Last edited:
Snipped and Bolded by me….

He would be very rude towards the girls sometimes, and one of the cooks, threatening them by asking, 'Do you know who I am?' And he would also send inappropriate texts to the ladies,” said the former co-worker, who did not want her name used.

This sounds like he wanted to be known.
That's a major motivation for many of these guys. They want the infamy that comes with committing an act like this. Logically of course it makes no sense, as it's not like they are alive to see it (in many cases).

These monsters never considered doing this decades ago, but now it's what you do.

So make changes, fix loopholes, and do whatever you think might help. You can maybe cut down on how often this occcurs, and possibly how many casualties there are at each event, but you can't stop them all.

Because the problem is much deeper than people merely having the means to do something like this (although that's a huge part).

It's all the ones who want to in the first place...

<snip>

bolded
That bit with the boxing gloves is really odd.
I literally know of no one who does that now or in the past.
But ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members