CANADA Canada - Mekayla Bali, aka M Niebergall, 16, Yorkton, Saskatchewan, 12 April 2016

1653615550588.png
May 26 ' 22

''The Washington State Patrol and Saskatchewan RCMP are teaming together in an effort to locate Mekayla Bali, who was last seen on April 12, 2016 in Yorkton, Sask''.

On May 26, two truck/trailer rigs featuring a photo of Bali, who was 16 when she went missing, were unveiled as part of the Homeward Bound program in Blaine, Wash.

According to a release, in partnership with Kam-Way Transportation, Washington State Patrol’s missing and unidentified persons unit places age-advanced photos on semi-trailers that travel across North America in hopes of generating leads to help find missing children.

“Approximately 800 tips from all over the world have been reported to police in relation to our investigation into Mekayla’s disappearance, including tips and information reported from Washington,” said Cpl. Robert Head of the Saskatchewan RCMP major crimes unit, who attended the event in Washington.''

ADMIN REMINDER:

This post lands at random.

Websleuths approved sources are MSM and LE and sources pre-approved by Tricia or Admin.

There are literally thousands upon thousands of random sites on the internet that Websleuths is not familiar with. Linking to and posting information from random blogs and other non-approved forums is not allowed at Websleuths.

I had never heard of this case till I listened to the 29 August podcast of "Crime Junkie". Interesting that it isn't in The Charley Project.
This case captivated me due to the extensive amount of CCTV footage they have of her skipping school and wandering around looking for somebody. I think about this case all the time and it saddens me that it isn't discussed more often. :(

I think you have to be american to be on the charley project.
As a general rule, yes. That is why there are only 3 Canadians in there. But in their criteria they state they will include Canadians if it is believed they could be missing in the US. I find it interesting that WA LE are partnering with RCMP on the case. They have US trucks with her photo and info on the side of the trailers. I believe she could be a candidate.

Thought this case would've had a bigger following on here. Not sure why *shrug*

Some have described Mekayla's erratic behavior and flightiness as pointers that she took her own life. I'm not too sure about that theory. I reckon her body would've been found by now, if that were the case.

It seems Mekayla was determined to go to Regina that day. The next bus wasn't for hours. I believe that she either went off with someone she planned to meet, or a stranger offered her a ride to Regina, either scenario resulting in foul play.

As a general rule, yes. That is why there are only 3 Canadians in there. But in their criteria they state they will include Canadians if it is believed they could be missing in the US. I find it interesting that WA LE are partnering with RCMP on the case. They have US trucks with her photo and info on the side of the trailers. I believe she could be a candidate.
Who are the other two canadians?

Who are the other two canadians?
''Gregory departed her residence in Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada on February 18, 1978. She planned to vacation in Palo Alto, California and was traveling with a male friend.''

''Mylan left his family's Mississauga, Ontario residence shortly after midnight on February 13, 1998. He was driving a black two-door 1991 Chevrolet Barretta with the license plate number 336-ZHK. He had previously mentioned wanting to travel to the United States for a medicine used to treat hair loss.
American customs officials recorded Mylan's vehicle entering the United States at the Rainbow Bridge on February 14, the day after he was last seen''

''Syrzycki was last seen his home on Lomond Street in Coquitlam, British Columbia on June 29, 2002. He has never been heard from again.''
''Syrzycki is thought to possibly be in California. The Charley Project is profiling his disappearance for that reason.''

Last edited:
Meaghan is very receptive to communication and usually responds promptly. It's worth shooting her an email, I'd think. She's at goodmeaghan (at) gmail (dot) com

Actually I just saw that she is not feeling well presently but would get back asap, I'm sure!

Is there any official statement or consensus on her phone? One phone, two phones? One SIM, two SIMs?

I remember the "taking her phone apart" was quickly said to look like switching the SIM card by many and her friends claimed she could have had two phones, but imo neither of these theories was ever commented on by anyone official and the police always stated "the phone calls do not show up on her bill as they are made through an app". So has all that ever been cleared up in some statement?

And is there any other info about her phone after she left the bus depot? Other than the line
RCMP say her phone was shut off at 6:51 a.m. the following day

2019 rbbm.
ALICIA BRIDGES and VICTORIA DINH

''Bali’s texts to Hnatuk are among a series of cryptic communications Bali made on April 12, 2016, the day she vanished. Those messages, along with surveillance footage taken at several locations around Yorkton, have baffled the investigators tasked with finding her.

Telus has records of some of the messages Bali sent that day, but there are no records of numerous phone calls she appears to be making in the surveillance footage.

Nobody seems to know who Bali was calling that day. Friends say she sometimes used apps — some anonymous — to communicate. In the past she had struck up friendships with people online, including some outside Yorkton and at least one in the U.S.

RCMP investigators have used the surveillance footage to piece together Bali’s last day in Yorkton. Her movements seem erratic. She walked to various businesses around town, at times appearing to be looking for someone and trying to get money. At one point she talked to some friends about going on vacation to Regina. She asked a stranger for help booking a hotel room.

Their investigation led them to people Bali met online, old friends, a box of flowers delivered to her school and a person who claimed to be her father.

Using newly-released surveillance footage and exclusive new details from the RCMP, CBC has created a detailed timeline of Bali’s movements the day she disappeared: who she was talking to, where she went, how she was behaving and what she said.

Police also opened up about some of the leads they followed and the challenges of finding a teenager whose last known communications appear to have been made using social media apps protected by U.S. privacy laws.''

''Police can use Telus data from cellphone towers to see who a person sent and received messages from and at what time, but the company does not retain any information from the message. Investigators have to rely on friends and family providing copies of the texts to see what’s inside, which is what they did with Bali’s friends.''

1681341390794.png
An age-progressed photo of Mekayla Bali of what she might look like at 19-years-old. (Photo Source: National Centre for Missing & Exploited Children)
April 12 2023 rbbm.
''It has been seven years since 16-year-old Mekayla Bali vanished from her hometown of Yorkton, Sask.

On April 12, 2016, the teen was last seen around 1:45 p.m. at the Trail Stop restaurant in Yorkton and was last captured on surveillance video in both Yorkton’s Broadway Tim Horton’s and Yorkton’s bus depot.

Now, seven years later, Mekayla’s family, friends, and community members continue to hold out hope that she will return home safely.

There will be a vigil to mark the anniversary of Mekayla’s disappearance at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday at 37 Betts Avenue, about a block from where Mekayla was last seen.
Paula Bali, Mekayla’s mom, said anyone who is interested is welcome to attend the vigil.''

''Mekayla would now be 23-years-old.

Anyone with information about Mekayla's disappearance is urged to contact the RCMP, Crime Stoppers, or bring-mekayla-home missing Mekayla Bali Yorkton Sk Sask Saskatchewan''

Sorry to triple post but I have a lot of questions...

Does a phone need Wifi/data to access Snapchat? Her friend sent a Snapchat the day Mekayla went missing but the message wasn't opened until 3 months later. Her phone was turned off at some point on the day she disappeared but 3 months later, her phone still had power, was turned on and unlocked. Can a phone hold a charge for 3 months if it's not in use? Wouldn't it "ping" if someone turned it on, charged it or opened an app?

Also read that she was possibly using a second SIM card. I think the service provider can see when someone removes the SIM (creating a possible timestamp). If she was using a second card and ran away purposefully, she could continue using the phone almost undetected. Wonder if anything pings when the card is taken out?

Just MOO, she wasn't acting like a nervous teenager meeting someone new for the first time. She wasn't acting like she was being followed or in distress (compared to the Emma Fillipoff video for example). When she approached the older woman in Tim Hortons it was to ask about a hotel room, she wasn't asking for help. Was she lured or "catfished"?
Maybe she logged into snapchat on someone else’s phone 3 months later

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theb