Found Deceased TX - Chrissy Powell, 39, San Antonio, Paralegal, didn’t arrive @work, BOLO, 5 July 2022

I can think of another reason to be in the passenger seat, but it probably doesn't apply in this case:
I've been told that if you're in some way impaired, you can be charged with a DUI just by being "behind the wheel" even if you're parked and not "driving."

Maybe she was experiencing some form of impairment and decided to "sleep it off" before continuing?
Moo
I've never heard of that myself, but it's an excellent point.

It should be easy enough to look at business video and see on what date the Rogue entered the shopping center parking lot. Wondering if the security guard is mistaken and the car was there longer than a week, or for the entire 3 weeks. If not, I also wonder if she was at a hotel or someone’s house prior to the parking lot.

They should be able to retrieve data from the Rogue regarding the movements of the vehicle. Most modern autos store a wealth of information about events and GPS data.
I'd read here a week or so ago that they claim the Rogue didn't have any tracking device. Don't you need to subscribe to OnStar or something like that, to have that? The device may be in the vehicle but if you don't have a subscription then the device may not be functional. I also wonder if that's a feature many car manufacturers offer free, for the first 3 years during the warranty. Then poof, it shuts off unless you choose to renew. I forget the year of her car - 2019? Wonder if she did have that feature but the warranty was recently expired as I don't think the Rogue was that old.

Wasn’t the decedent diabetic? I hope that is accurate? If so, that could explain a great deal. She could have been confused, knew she was in trouble and parked, maybe tried to stabilize, and slipped in to a coma. I guess the autopsy will provide more insight.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I'd read here a week or so ago that they claim the Rogue didn't have any tracking device. Don't you need to subscribe to OnStar or something like that, to have that? The device may be in the vehicle but if you don't have a subscription then the device may not be functional. I also wonder if that's a feature many car manufacturers offer free, for the first 3 years during the warranty. Then poof, it shuts off unless you choose to renew. I forget the year of her car - 2019? Wonder if she did have that feature but the warranty was recently expired as I don't think the Rogue was that old.
I can’t speak for her 2020 Rogue. I have a 2021. It did come with 3 months of Nissan Connect Services, but unless you pay for that after 3 months, it expires. The salesman and I never discussed On Star as even an option. I do get emailed a monthly vehicle health report that gives several details about the car (brakes, engine, tires, etc). That is free, at least for now. But can they tell where exactly I drive every day? I doubt it, but who knows.

Piggybacking here on my question from a few min ago asking if anyone can point us to a medical care facility in that shopping center, I now do see a "Carenet Health" building just NW of the shopping center up above the Bed Bath and Beyond store. Although it's unclear to me if that's a place that the public can walk into, or if they just have employees available 24/7 for telehealth, etc. If employees work there 24/7, then I imagine a security guard may not think much of seeing a car left there during the night time hours, assuming, that is, that she was located near such a medical place and not in the midst of the Bed Bath and Beyond shopping center.

Here's a link to Google Maps of Carenet Health -
From their website, it doesn't appear to be a clinic. They're a healthcare "support service," whatever that means. But the website indicates their customers are health plans, etc., not patients.

Wasn’t the decedent diabetic? I hope that is accurate? If so, that could explain a great deal. She could have been confused, knew she was in trouble and parked, maybe tried to stabilize, and slipped in to a coma. I guess the autopsy will provide more insight.

I had never seen it stated anywhere that she was diabetic, but only that she required medication that she did not have with her. Several here suggested that perhaps she was diabetic, and it is possible that it was stated and I just never saw it. JMO

As far as I've read here on WS and on various news and even non MSM sites, I don't think anything has been stated even in "certain" speculation about what her meds were.

Maybe positional asphyxia (tangled up while retrieving a lost item under the passenger seat) made her unconscious and then she died of heat?
Maybe her phone (or something important) fell on the floor of the passenger side as she drove, so she turned into the nearest place where she could put the car in park and quickly stretch to retrieve it?

I know that I have caught myself doing that in a pinch and then think how I should really take the time to be safe and go to the other side properly.

For her to not return home to retrieve her phone given her commute was close to work...found in passenger seat...rushing off leaving home...none of this adds up. If she wasn't well I would think she would go into a store etc. etc. to a bathroom etc. ask for a phone from an employee if she was in distress. I used to work in home health make sure I had my phone was crucial for my wellbeing so the fact she left her phone behind if she had a medical condition makes me think she didn't want to be found/tracked, her work wasn't that far away.... Tryst of some sort? OD? Just doesn't add up at all....And to add I had a Nissan Rogue, def an effort to be on the passenger side(which I never was on unless hubby was driving)

I drive a Nissan Murano, and am short, like Chrissy.
If I needed the manual from the glove box, I would sit in the passenger seat to do so.
The Murano glove box is very very deep, and I can't reach it from the driver's seat.
However, if my car was having an issue and I was running late to work, I would wait until I was at work for awhile and check it later as a break.
Just one more reason Chrissy may have been in the passenger seat.
Oh, I have also had someone park right next to me and I had to enter/exit the car from the passenger side, climbing over to the driver's seat.

Most vehicles have some retrievable data, in addition to GPS data, which can be accessed unless it is purposely disconnected. I can see several days of past routes on my GPS, with the "retrace route" feature, even though I was not using it to navigate.
I find the circumstances of Powell not taking/forgetting her phone and fitness tracker, then parking and searching her car and purse, very relatable. I've done the exact same thing a number of times.
Maybe the security guard had days off or worked in a different area during some of the time Powell's car was in the parking lot. In any case, I'm sure there is enough evidence/information to establish what happened, without relying on the guard's memory. This is not the first time a deceased person has been in a parked car and it was asked why wasn't it was noticed sooner.

I can think of another reason to be in the passenger seat, but it probably doesn't apply in this case:
I've been told that if you're in some way impaired, you can be charged with a DUI just by being "behind the wheel" even if you're parked and not "driving."

Maybe she was experiencing some form of impairment and decided to "sleep it off" before continuing?
Moo

IF she was impaired in some way, could she have suffered heat exhaustion without realizing she was in trouble? idk

Moo
HEAT STROKE ALERT!
If you live anywhere in Texas in summer or near Houston, as I do, you would know that unless she was impaired in some way or the air conditioning was running until she was unaware of her surroundings that she would not otherwise spend any extended time in the heat in that car.

That is the biggest factor in finding her in her car. Heat exhaustion would have set in within an hour or so with no air conditioning and heat stroke would not be far behind.

First, I hope they can determine how long her car was actually in that lot. I would like to see the forensics when they are complete. If foul play by another party can be ruled out then we are left with medical misadventure or suicide.

This beautiful lady had a lot to live for and will be mourned a long time, leaving two young ones behind. I hope answers will be found.

MOO

Moo
This is true. An ex-boyfriend of mine pulled over on the side of the road when he realized he was too drunk to drive and then fell asleep while waiting to be picked up by a friend. A cop showed up before his ride, and he was arrested and charged with a DUI because his keys were in the ignition.

I don't think we have any info about any conditions, medical or otherwise, she has. If I am incorrect, please let me know.

Speculation can lead the thread astray. We should all use care.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back