TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #47

Status
Not open for further replies.
@evilwise well put. is this a fat little waddling dork getting ready to murder someone specific in about 15 minutes or is this a fat little waddling dork doing something else? would love your take.
No, I think he's just screwing around. Nothing about what I see in the security camera says "murderous intent" or even "competence". That much I feel very confident of.

As far as why he killed Missy, that's a total guess but the story that sort of comes to my mind is that the perp felt really cool and confident in his little outfit. He thought that even if he did encounter someone that they would be intimidated by him (something no one ever is in his real life) and that for some amount of time (maybe second, maybe minutes) Missy was intimidated by the uniform - just long enough to embolden him and, unfortunately maybe make him think he might sexually assault or coerce her. Then, I think perhaps something about his demeanor revealed to Missy that this wasn't a cop or even a hardened criminal, that he was just some loser and she flipped on her b*tch switch which he felt completely emasculated by after he thought maybe he was going to have sex with her and that really enraged him and he killed her.

Again this is such a detailed sequence of events I'm speculating on I'm sure it's unlikely to be reality but since you asked that's the story that pops into my head.

Last edited:
That scenario is interesting. I often wonder about a scenario, that would fit with yours ...

"...for some amount of time (maybe seconds, maybe minutes) Missy was intimidated by the uniform - just long enough to embolden him and, unfortunately maybe make him think he might sexually assault or coerce her. Then, I think perhaps something about his demeanor revealed to Missy that this wasn't a cop or even a hardened criminal ...."

I wonder if, perhaps in a scenario like you describe, by pure coincidence for both of them, Missy happened to casually know this creep from around town. He plays tough guy, at first she accepts it as reality, then in a moment of realization: 'Hey, I know you, you're Billy who lives down the street, or was in a class I once taught, or who works at the McDonald's, etc, you're not a cop' -- and he was humiliated and scared she would expose his odd or pervy actions, so he shot and killed her.

I think the potential scenarios painted by @SteveS and @evilwise are so reasonable to me. So following this trail of thinking some related questions for me are:
What other crimes has this type of SP potentially partaken in before this event? Mostly Breaking and entering, prowling etc? Or is this is first time? Does this experience suppress this type of activity for a while but will SP eventually do it again or would this situation have "scared him straight"? Should we be tracking arrests or other unsolved prowlers in the vicinity since that event? Will he do it again?

I feel like it will be hard to connect a suspect to the evidence LE has now. I think this case will be solved if SP is picked up for another crime and certain similarities or new evidence comes to light connecting him to MBs murder.

I think the potential scenarios painted by @SteveS and @evilwise are so reasonable to me. So following this trail of thinking some related questions for me are:
What other crimes has this type of SP potentially partaken in before this event? Mostly Breaking and entering, prowling etc? Or is this is first time? Does this experience suppress this type of activity for a while but will SP eventually do it again or would this situation have "scared him straight"? Should we be tracking arrests or other unsolved prowlers in the vicinity since that event? Will he do it again?

I feel like it will be hard to connect a suspect to the evidence LE has now. I think this case will be solved if SP is picked up for another crime and certain similarities or new evidence comes to light connecting him to MBs murder.
Could be a peeping Tom, too.

I can't figure out why someone in that particular disguise would break into a church for no reason. But I agree that the video doesn't seem to indicate he had much purpose about things.

I can see someone who is hungry breaking in, someone who is homeless, someone who is extremely hot or cold, someone who is hiding out, someone who needs help, someone who needs guidance, someone who has had a mental break with reality, someone who has had an issue with the church (members, staff, pastor, etc.)...But I can't picture a person in any of those scenarios dressing up in that ridiculous disguise. Why that disguise?

I think it would have scared him straight. I think he probably has prowled in a costume prior to this but was never caught because even having been caught probably would have scared him into never doing it again. I think he ran home afterward, burned all of that junk and tries really hard to not even think about it.

If anything, that might be the biggest tell - to work out some line of questioning that breaks the cognitive dissonance of locals who fit the physical characteristics of the perpetrator and to look for a certain kind of avoidant reaction. Unfortunately, the type of disconnected nerd I visualize is quite likely to have avoidant reactions to many if not any and all threatening confrontation.

Perhaps they could be baited into an unexpectedly violent reaction to a similar situation where they believe themselves to be unidentifiable and are scolded by a woman. Actually now that I think about it, internet activity could be a good clue. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this guy was active in "incel" communities - but again I'm basing these ideas on a lot of speculative assumptions.

Upon further reflection, I do think he would have given up costumed prowling and gotten rid of all evidence thereof. He's "smart" enough to know he can never again engage in that known and published MO but the actual addiction he would have is to pretending to be someone more powerful than he actually is. Maybe do a comprehensive survey of local catfishes. Check out who's sponging extra hard off public assistance, especially disability. See if there's someone writing angry anonymous letters to the editor or filing lots of spurious small claims in local court. Things like that. Hell, maybe just ask around the local Dungeons & Dragons scenes.

Last edited:
Upon further reflection, I do think he would have given up costumed prowling and gotten rid of all evidence thereof. He's "smart" enough to know he can never again engage in that known and published MO but the actual addiction he would have is to pretending to be someone more powerful than he actually is. Maybe do a comprehensive survey of local catfishes. Check out who's sponging extra hard off public assistance, especially disability. See if there's someone writing angry anonymous letters to the editor or filing lots of spurious small claims in local court. Things like that. Hell, maybe just ask around the local Dungeons & Dragons scenes.

Employees of private "security" firms? Mall cop? Bouncer at a place that doesn't need bouncers?

jmho ymmv lrr

Employees of private "security" firms? Mall cop? Bouncer at a place that doesn't need bouncers?

jmho ymmv lrr
Or especially people who apply for but don't qualify for those positions. He might could be baited with exactly the right help wanted advertisement, "Seeking burly male security guard for new women's prison - must be under 5'8" to fit in the shower observation throne"

Why is everyone assuming this is a male?

If the story told by Missy Bever's sister-in-law is correct, then this crime happened very quickly. If Missy turned on the auditorium(sanctuary) lights, then that probably would have startled the burglar if that person were in the sanctuary area at the time. From what the police have said she probably was attacked shortly after she left the view of the surveilance cameras as she was walking in the church going up the west hallway. Did she even have time to set up the folding table she took in?

Whoever the person is in the surveillance video, their mannerisms, especially with the flashlight are similar to how a police officer would hold a flashlight. Maybe they watched some police training if they are a wannabe police officer?

Even though we do not know if the perpetrator is a man or a woman, we know that Missy Bevers was a woman. I still find it a little strange a man with what looks like some type of pick ax hammer in their hand would be afraid of a woman to the point they felt they needed to commit murder. But we do not know how the two met in the church or how the crime occurred either.

In my opinion, this case looks like someone who tried to make a murder look like a burglary.

I live in Texas. Church break-ins are not uncommon at all but the suspect going fully outfitted and geared up head to toe is. The most of a disguise you might see, if any at all, on surveillance tape is head/face covering. This suspect is a whole other level, I don't believe they were there to rob the church.

Last edited:
According to the story of that morning, Camp Gladiator people from Missy Bever's class were waiting near the awning door to get into the church. Police know this because of a security camera near the awning area outside the church. It was working.

When this person decided to burglarize the church, did they drive their vehicle completely around the church parking lot to see if anyone was there? I guess we do not know.

But the security camera outside the awning area is what is strange. If a burglar were trying to get into a church, the interior lights are on, and there was no one else around(vehicles), wouldn't they try to see if maybe one of the doors was left open before breaking in through a door?

My point is the burglar never checked to see if the door was open near the awning. They couldn't have or they would have been on camera. I can definitely understand why someone would have problems believing this was a normal burglary.

According to the story of that morning, Camp Gladiator people from Missy Bever's class were waiting near the awning door to get into the church. Police know this because of a security camera near the awning area outside the church. It was working.

When this person decided to burglarize the church, did they drive their vehicle completely around the church parking lot to see if anyone was there? I guess we do not know.

But the security camera outside the awning area is what is strange. If a burglar were trying to get into a church, the interior lights are on, and there was no one else around(vehicles), wouldn't they try to see if maybe one of the doors was left open before breaking in through a door?

My point is the burglar never checked to see if the door was open near the awning. They couldn't have or they would have been on camera. I can definitely understand why someone would have problems believing this was a normal burglary.
You may be right, but I'm not sure we know that SP never checked the door. If you watch the YT video posted by @Megnut a few messages earlier in this thread, the forensic podiatrist mentions also being shown a video of Missy inside the building that has never been released to the media. There most probably are additional camera views of SP that have never been shared with the public. But if they don't offer any further clues as to who SP is, then LE has no reason to disclose them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus