Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher Abducted While Jogging - Memphis #4 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
@TKG, That was a very dangerous robbery. I'm gratified to hear that you survived.

Unfortunately this woman did not survive. She was murdered at an ATM in Charlotte, North Carolina this past July. So far, the case has not been solved.

Much better audio on the WVLT video, but I still couldn't hear why the Henderson v Abston last name, but it seems that legally his last names is Abston? Did I get that right? I was shocked that he had no wounds, no scratches on his face or arms. I'm assuming he either knocked her out immediately or she was gone before he drove off.
I only heard him say something about social security told him…I’m guessing Abston because the Judge said that is how he will refer to him then. I think he preferred Henderson? That is odd? Maybe foster care and he just took on the name? No he was in juvenile detention most of his adolescent/teen years. I don’t know.

I know there was question/discussion on the previous thread about when prosecutors must declare they’re going to seek the death penalty. If I’m reading this correctly, it seems, in TN, it is 30 days before trial.

(b) Capital Cases.

(1) Timing. When the indictment or presentment charges a capital offense and the district attorney general intends to ask for the death penalty, he or she shall file notice of this intention not less than thirty (30) days before trial. If the notice is untimely, the trial judge shall grant the defendant, on motion, a reasonable continuance of the trial.

Sept 6, 2022 Court Hearing:

Arraignment, or the first appearance in court for the defendant held today and on the record. The Murder charge was not on the docket and the Judge was not certain at the time of the hearing if the defendant had been served with the new charges.

Executive Court Order mandates facial masks INSIDE the courtroom for the protection and the interest of the jailed inmates.

CA had two case numbers -- one as CA and another (misdemeanors) as CAH. The Court stated he would address the defendant as CA.

The Court instructed that Motions must be in writing to change bail including no bail.

The hearing continued to Sept 7 at 9 AM for the new charges.

Last edited:
I only heard him say something about social security told him…I’m guessing Abston because the Judge said that is how he will refer to him then. I think he preferred Henderson? That is odd? Maybe foster care and he just took on the name? No he was in juvenile detention most of his adolescent/teen years. I don’t know.
Maybe he has a stepfather with that last name? I honestly don't know. My mom told me she used her stepfather's last name in school until she was told she couldn't legally do that. *shrug*

The judge read out the charges in this case, including first degree murder, first degree murder in perpetration of kidnapping, aggravated kidnapping and tampering with evidence.

Newly elected Shelby County District Attorney Steve Mulroy and prosecutor Paul Hagerman were in the courtroom, along with Fletcher's family, according to reporters on the scene.

WATN-TV reporter Brad Broder said the judge acknowledged the "extraordinary nature and attention of this case."

Abston is in jail on a $500,000 bond and will be back in court tomorrow at 9 a.m.

According to Broders, prosecutors will request no bond when the case is heard again Wednesday.

He told the court he was unable to pay the bond and cannot afford an attorney. The judge said a Shelby County public defender will be appointed to represent him in this case.

Court hearing for those that missed it.

In this video, the Judge asks Abston why the cases have two different names and asks which is correct (Cleotha Abston Henderson), Abston answers "Henderson". Judge asks "where does the option come in" - Abston answers - " when I got a new ID, they told me it had been changed in the courts". Judge says "social security"? - Abston nods his head yes.

I'm so glad she was found quickly. It's a terrible tragedy, and having the case solved is not going to change that, but it would have been harder for her family to be in terrified limbo for weeks, months, or years if all they knew was that she had gone on a run and not come back.

A lot of things had to go right to lead to this outcome: Her husband noticed very quickly, trusted his gut, and took it seriously, police didn't brush it off or tell him to wait 24 hours to make a report, a sharp-eyed witness turned in material evidence right away, good police work in gathering and reviewing the camera footage along her route, his brother's honesty when questioned.

I wonder what led them to that particular location? Fitness tracker information, GPS in the SUV, or his phone pings are my top guesses.

In this video, the Judge asks Abston why the cases have two different names and asks which is correct (Cleotha Abston Henderson), Abston answers "Henderson". Judge asks "where does the option come in" - Abston answers - " when I got a new ID, they told me it had been changed in the courts". Judge says "social security"? - Abston nods his head yes.
Not that it matters, but I think the judge asked "where does the Abston come in?" Still...I have no idea what the answer meant.

Sometimes when an unrepresented defendant is being arraigned, the judge will ask a lawyer in the courtroom to do the arraignment. Then the Public Defenders office will step in for the rest of the trial.

Those beautiful boys will now have to grow up without their adoring mother and will have their little hearts broken to bits because of this monster. So much trauma for the little ones, it is unimaginable.

Much better audio on the WVLT video, but I still couldn't hear why the Henderson v Abston last name, but it seems that legally his last names is Abston? Did I get that right? I was shocked that he had no wounds, no scratches on his face or arms. I'm assuming he either knocked her out immediately or she was gone before he drove off.
I was expecting to see wounds on him too (although a little hard to tell with the mask). My feeling is that she fought for her life, which he might not have been expecting on the level that she served it up (and possibly further fueled his rage). I was expecting the outcome but overcome at the announcement. My heart goes out to her family, especially her boys and then all those little hearts in her classroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member