Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher Abducted While Jogging - Memphis #4 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that it matters, but I think the judge asked "where does the Abston come in?" Still...I have no idea what the answer meant.
I think his legal last name is Abston but Henderson is also a family name and he wanted to go by that. I believe the Henderson came from the judge asking which he goes by. He mentioned something about Social Security but IDK what that has to do with it.

The judge seems rigid with counsel. I understand the validity of the murder case not in his hands yet but he appears a bit overboard to me.
I get what you’re saying but doing things this way lessens the chance of an appeal being given because it can be claimed that things weren’t done correctly, etc…

The judge seems rigid with counsel. I understand the validity of the murder case not in his hands yet but he appears a bit overboard to me.
Agree mostly with you but not on the overboard part. A criminal court judge has to be because counsel tries to do what both the State and PDO attorneys did and lob rapid-fire oral motions to try to get what they want.

A good judge keeps fair and tight control over schedule, procedure, etc. He's establishing immediately that both sides will follow procedure which is to submit those kinds of motions in writing. He likely was more stringent today on purpose to 'set the tone' that the attorney's are expected to follow protocol and he'll be fair to both sides.

<modsnip - generalized discussion of the criminal justice system>

Now that we have discovered that CA had a lengthy record of violent and sexual crime in addition to the Kemper Durand kidnapping, I do believe he should have been still in prison. But that is due to the principle of incapacitation, which means keeping him in prison would have kept him separated from vulnerable people he could harm--by which I mean Liza :( . But that's different than dismembering random shoplifters hoping it would scare murderers out of murdering.
Now it's time to support Memphis DA's office in ensuring CA never harms anyone again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t know you guys. I carry pepper spray when out yet I know I could be attacked in a way that I wouldn’t be able to get at it and use it correctly, you know? We can have all the weapons in the world but when there’s a predator determined to attack they become meaningless.
We should all be able to go out and do whatever at any time, wherever, without fear of attack.

Regarding the hill on Person. Has anyone compared trees, light poles, markers, etc to the news photo?

No, but I've been looking at houses in the background of a rap video (or two) thinking there might be one that is/was "familiar or comfortable" to CA. Would probably be helpful if I was a local, though.

I watched his hand when he raised it. Steady as a rock. I’ve seen others shake, but not CA. I suspected he had his face mask much higher to cover the wound I believe Eliza inflicted under his eye. I was surprised by the “premeditation” charge though I’ve thought it wasn’t random. Anyone know if he was informed of murder charges before he entered courtroom?

I am curious of his prior offence of practically the same thing and which name he went by then. He spent some lengthy time in prison just haven looked into which one.

I don’t know you guys. I carry pepper spray when out yet I know I could be attacked in a way that I wouldn’t be able to get at it and use it correctly, you know? We can have all the weapons in the world but when there’s a predator determined to attack they become meaningless.
We should all be able to go out and do whatever at any time, wherever, without fear of attack.
I personally like the kind that have a disabling pin

I watched his hand when he raised it. Steady as a rock. I’ve seen others shake, but not CA. I suspected he had his face mask much higher to cover the wound I believe Eliza inflicted under his eye. I was surprised by the “premeditation” charge though I’ve thought it wasn’t random. Anyone know if he was informed of murder charges before he entered courtroom?
Premeditation can mean it was planned even minutes before though. Maybe because he grabbed her at an area with little visibility - clearly on purpose - and wounded her severely at that time?

I was surprised by the “premeditation” charge though I’ve thought it wasn’t random.

Correct me if I’m wrong (and I claim no expertise), but I believe premeditation can be anything at all to indicate it wasn’t a spur of the moment, crime of passion type of offense. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t a random crime, just that there was some intention or desire to commit a crime.
Like- the fact that his car was parked in that spot to watch people run/bike by, or if he had any type of weapon or something that could be used as a weapon would qualify the alleged kidnapping or murder as premeditated.

The judge read out the charges in this case, including first degree murder, first degree murder in perpetration of kidnapping, aggravated kidnapping and tampering with evidence.

Newly elected Shelby County District Attorney Steve Mulroy and prosecutor Paul Hagerman were in the courtroom, along with Fletcher's family, according to reporters on the scene.

WATN-TV reporter Brad Broder said the judge acknowledged the "extraordinary nature and attention of this case."

Abston is in jail on a $500,000 bond and will be back in court tomorrow at 9 a.m.

According to Broders, prosecutors will request no bond when the case is heard again Wednesday.

He told the court he was unable to pay the bond and cannot afford an attorney. The judge said a Shelby County public defender will be appointed to represent him in this case.

I was sure I heard “premeditated” murder

Correct me if I’m wrong (and I claim no expertise), but I believe premeditation can be anything at all to indicate it wasn’t a spur of the moment, crime of passion type of offense. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t a random crime, just that there was some intention or desire to commit a crime.
Like- the fact that his car was parked in that spot to watch people run/bike by, or if he had any type of weapon or something that could be used as a weapon would qualify the alleged kidnapping or murder as premeditated.
Thank you! I was not aware of that …

I was sure I heard “premeditated” murder
First degree murder implies some degree of premeditation.

ETA - Tennessee code detailing charge of first degree murder

As used in subdivision (a)(1), “premeditation” is an act done after the exercise of reflection and judgment. “Premeditation” means that the intent to kill must have been formed prior to the act itself. It is not necessary that the purpose to kill preexist in the mind of the accused for any definite period of time. The mental state of the accused at the time the accused allegedly decided to kill must be carefully considered in order to determine whether the accused was sufficiently free from excitement and passion as to be capable of premeditation.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd