WA WA - Oakley Carlson, 5, missing during welfare check, Oakville, 10 Feb 2021 *mom guilty, identity theft*

SEP 13, 2022
Andrew Carlson, the biological father of missing 5-year-old girl Oakley Carlson, was labeled a no-show in Grays Harbor County Superior Court on Monday, Sept. 12, in Montesano, for his review hearing for re-arraignment.

Carlson, who was released from jail on Aug. 3 following an eight-month sentence after pleading guilty to two felony charges of child endangerment, was due back in court to confirm he had obtained a chemical dependency evaluation within 45 days of his initial release.

However, when Judge Katherine L. Svoboda called to begin Carlson’s hearing, the courtroom remained silent. When Svoboda requested information about his no-show from Carlson’s defense attorney, Johnathan Feste, he couldn’t confirm the whereabouts of his client.

[...]

“I’ve heard second or third hand that he went to a treatment facility in Eastern Washington. I don’t have any way to know if he’s out or not,” Walker said.

Svoboda requested if there was a way that Walker could provide verification that Carlson had been registered in the facility, but was told that there was nothing he could produce at that moment.

Following the brief information from both attorneys, Svoboda issued a bench warrant for Carlson with bail set at $25,000.

[...]
If he is in treatment, why wasn't his attorney notified?

I have to go back and refresh my memory, but I thought there were reports of abuse in the home before Oakley disappeared?

I don't see anything in the OFCO's letter that states the abuse allegations were investigated by DCYF and reviewed by OFCO? Surprisingly, there are no specifics mentioned at all. It's simply a regurgitation of department policies. Where's the real report?
All details about the reasons and time in foster care are confidential and sealed, so they will never have to explain anything. How convenient.

AC back in court this morning. He still has not provided his attorney with the paperwork showing he completed treatment so it can be submitted to the court. The attorney stated that he sent a letter to the P.O. box he has for AC and he got no response. The judge gave him one more week to submit the paperwork. He's either playing with the court or there is something he doesn't want the court to see in that paperwork IMHO.

SEP 19, 2022
The biological father of missing girl Oakley Carlson was set to appear in court on Monday morning, however, the hearing was postponed after some paperwork was not ready.

This chemical-dependency hearing will determine whether Andrew Carlson complied with his sentencing.

It has been rescheduled for Sept. 26.

[...]

AC back in court this morning. He still has not provided his attorney with the paperwork showing he completed treatment so it can be submitted to the court. The attorney stated that he sent a letter to the P.O. box he has for AC and he got no response. The judge gave him one more week to submit the paperwork. He's either playing with the court or there is something he doesn't want the court to see in that paperwork IMHO.
Is he going to be MIA on the 26th?

AC appeared in court via Zoom again this morning. He still has not made contact with his attorney and has not submitted all the requested paperwork to the court. For some reason he thinks he can use his dependency attorney for this. The judge gave him ANOTHER week and told him he must appear IN PERSON next Monday (I'm assuming so they can arrest him if the paperwork is not submitted by then). He seemed quite irritated by it all and I still think he's playing the court. MOO

AC appeared in court via Zoom again this morning. He still has not made contact with his attorney and has not submitted all the requested paperwork to the court. For some reason he thinks he can use his dependency attorney for this. The judge gave him ANOTHER week and told him he must appear IN PERSON next Monday (I'm assuming so they can arrest him if the paperwork is not submitted by then). He seemed quite irritated by it all and I still think he's playing the court. MOO
probably also so they can test him

SEP 26, 2022

(Video)
  • AC appeared virtually for a chemical dependency evaluation.
  • He has until Thursday to submit proof of drug treatment.
  • He is required to appear in person Monday morning.

OCT 4, 2022
After multiple attempts to provide an evaluation and treatment plan, Andrew Carlson, the prime suspect in the disappearance of his 5-year-old biological daughter Oakley Carlson, appeared in person at the Grays Harbor Superior Court on Monday, Oct. 3, for a review hearing for re-arraignment. He was found to be in compliance with his court order although he will continue to be monitored.

[...]

When Carlson and a member of his defense counsel, Karrie Young, left the courthouse following the hearing, they were greeted by the community members with statements and questions such as, “Do the right thing” and “How do you live with yourself?” Carlson did not respond to any member of the crowd and walked away.

Although Carlson has met the requirements of his court order and is essentially a free man, he is still barred from having any contact with minors under 18 except for his biological kids.

Her parents said Oakley Carlson was eaten by wolves.
Oakley deserves our attention and that's why we are doing a special live stream Sunday Nov 13th at 4:00 PM EASTERN.
Our wonderful member (despite her name hehe) I Hate Chocolate will join us. She has taken Oakley into a special place in her heart and wants to help find this sweet baby as we all do.
We will be focusing on a wonderful NewsNation report on Oakley.
Join us Sunday Nov 13 @4 PM Eastern

For a few weeks, it seemed like people here on Websleuths were constantly on WA missing kids threads and bumping them up on the New Posts tab. Now, not so much. Now the main one here seems to be Gabriel Davies. There was a little missing girl from Bremerton, but thankfully, she was found safe and unharmed very quickly. I don't think we necessarily do have more kids missing but maybe their cases get more attention sometimes? Maybe we have a lot of Washington Websleuthers? :)

Washington is an interesting state and I do think geography plays a role here. It's geographically very large and western vs eastern WA are so different. We have everything here. Heck, I live in a moderately-sized city, and work less than 40 miles away, and it is like a different world there. We also have so many areas (like most states, I assume) that would, and I hate to bring this up but I will, be "useful" to conceal remains. We have beautiful national parks, pristine woods, massive stretches of evergreen trees and mountains. Also very easy to get lost in even without foul play. Nature is not forgiving. In my city you can be downtown shopping or getting a drink and practically turn around and get lost in the woods! I'm exaggerating, but really not by much. Lots of people here but also lots of vast empty space. I do think that plays a role in it.

I also genuinely do wonder if weather plays a role...not so much in eastern WA but more here in western WA. Not that people are running around harming others because of the rain, it just wears on you, you know?

I was thinking about it. We moved here from Boston. Since that time, the state grew (reflected in housing prices), definitely, developed, and the cost of living in WA now is exactly the same as in Massachusetts that I left. One thing that is typical for the West Coast and serves to disjoint people is lack of good public transportation system. Massachusetts and old East Coast cities have excellent subway systems allowing humans to face one another. The fact that such system is missing here has a negative effect on all kinds of communication. (They say there can’t be a subway because WA is a seismogenic zone…so is Tokyo, that has excellent subway, so I don’t quite buy it).
The state, of course, is huge. Our population is nearing that of Switzerland, but spread over a larger territory, The Cascades divide it into two parts. Sometimes to get to the southern parts of Eastern WA, it is easier to drive town to Oregon and take a road running along Cascadia river, and then cross via a bridge back to WA. Lots of sparsely inhabited places in Eastern WA, and even here, and I live in a well-developed city in Western part of the state, there are too many dark corners. But as to odd crimes, I sincerely think it is lack of public transportation that is a major contributor.

SEP 8, 2022
OFCO found that "the Department’s actions and conduct in this case were consistent with laws, policies, and court orders." OFCO did say that the investigation identified areas of improvement, specifically "to preserve and strengthen the parent-child bond when a child is removed from the home."

"Obviously, we are all concerned about that case, so I wanted to find out if there is anything amiss that had not been done correctly and according to this letter, it came back and reported that the department had acted in compliance with existing rules and regulations. It doesn't mean that we are still not concerned about the case but I’m pleased that we got that back," Inslee said at the news conference when asked about the letter.

(See full letter in the article)

SEP 9, 2022
[...]

“Our investigation primarily focused on family reunification efforts, permanency planning, and (DCYF’s) response to any identified child safety risk or risk factors prior to and after Oakley was returned home,” reads a copy of the letter obtained by FOX 13.

“... Our investigation however identified opportunities to improve services to families, specifically to preserve and strengthen the parent-child bond when a child is removed from the home.” Dowd went on to state that parent-child visits are “critical” to “a successful family reunion” and said reunification planning “should not only focus on a parent’s successful compliance with services but should also address parent-child bonding and attachment issues.”

Oakley’s former foster mother, Jamie Jo Hiles, reportedly told FOX 13 she was “outraged” and had spoken to Dowd regarding the case, informing him she called Child Protective Services twice regarding concerns about Oakley and her biological parents, but believes no one followed up to check on Oakley and her siblings.

"Show integrity and transparency and release the investigation in full that proves no wrongdoing on behalf of not only DCYF, but Washington state as well. If that can’t be done, then I am AGAIN requesting an outside agency review of Oakley’s DCYF case that can be done with impartiality. We want justice for our little girl and to make sure that this tragedy never happens again," Hiles wrote in a statement to FOX 13 News.

[...]

(What i am posting is not about Oakley but about the situation in general. Oakley's case is extreme).

When I used to commute three hours both ways every day to work, I came across a case that had accumulated almost ten volumes and clearly looked as shocking CPS mishandling. The true problem, as I later found out, is that sometimes abuse is very much ingrained in the family history and spans generations. One has to come to a conclusion that maybe, those abusive parents were not so horrible because compared to what had been done to them, they were trying to be better than their own parents, you know? Sometimes a parent that "allows bad abuse" was subjected to such extreme abuse herself, that all taken into account, she should be praised for not letting her kids to at least go through what she had endured. (And then, her sister is not abusive at all, but to know right from wrong, she had to move out of this rural environment, be exposed to different life, and go through therapy. And get on normal medications, while the one staying in poverty has no clue that she is suffering from PTSD and depression, and self-medicating with what her neighbor cooks at home).

This, and not all foster parents are perfect, merely "less abusive". Very seldom can one take the kid away and move to the best, most educated, most willing, family in another part of the state. And as everywhere else, there are "pockets" of poverty and affluence, and one can imagine too well that to get good services, the kid sometimes need to be moved to a better area. It seldom happens. To add, has anyone considered how much stress and even PTSD is inflicted on good people who take in foster kids, work with them, try, and then have to return them back, to biological ones? How often would these good, thoroughly vetted families, be willing to foster another child? Some, never. On the other hand, if foster parents are allowed to adopt, there is no control over their treatment of adoptees, at all.

CPS care workers, too, are overwhelmed and very easily burned out. My firm belief is that maybe one has start with asking them about changing the system. Not just impose changes from above. It is not easy, and potentially, our state could be the pilot one, because we have means, there are many people willing to give, and Governor Inslee appears sincere.

(Historically, Seattle used to be pilot in interesting projects, such as teaching everyone CPR, and it led to a drastic decrease in sudden clinical deaths. But it was long ago)

(What i am posting is not about Oakley but about the situation in general. Oakley's case is extreme).

When I used to commute three hours both ways every day to work, I came across a case that had accumulated almost ten volumes and clearly looked as shocking CPS mishandling. The true problem, as I later found out, is that sometimes abuse is very much ingrained in the family history and spans generations. One has to come to a conclusion that maybe, those abusive parents were not so horrible because compared to what had been done to them, they were trying to be better than their own parents, you know? Sometimes a parent that "allows bad abuse" was subjected to such extreme abuse herself, that all taken into account, she should be praised for not letting her kids to at least go through what she had endured. (And then, her sister is not abusive at all, but to know right from wrong, she had to move out of this rural environment, be exposed to different life, and go through therapy. And get on normal medications, while the one staying in poverty has no clue that she is suffering from PTSD and depression, and self-medicating with what her neighbor cooks at home).

This, and not all foster parents are perfect, merely "less abusive". Very seldom can one take the kid away and move to the best, most educated, most willing, family in another part of the state. And as everywhere else, there are "pockets" of poverty and affluence, and one can imagine too well that to get good services, the kid sometimes need to be moved to a better area. It seldom happens. To add, has anyone considered how much stress and even PTSD is inflicted on good people who take in foster kids, work with them, try, and then have to return them back, to biological ones? How often would these good, thoroughly vetted families, be willing to foster another child? Some, never. On the other hand, if foster parents are allowed to adopt, there is no control over their treatment of adoptees, at all.

CPS care workers, too, are overwhelmed and very easily burned out. My firm belief is that maybe one has start with asking them about changing the system. Not just impose changes from above. It is not easy, and potentially, our state could be the pilot one, because we have means, there are many people willing to give, and Governor Inslee appears sincere.

(Historically, Seattle used to be pilot in interesting projects, such as teaching everyone CPR, and it led to a drastic decrease in sudden clinical deaths. But it was long ago)
You make a lot of good and salient points here. I don't know that it erases the idea of CYS mishandling really, but it does give clearer picture of what they are all up against and how massive the overhaul and change will need to be to really create improvement and a safety net for kids that can actually help.

With the discussion of Oakley Carlson, the missing 5-year-old girl from Oakville, consistently growing in and out of the Grays Harbor community, there will be another opportunity for people to advocate their support for Oakley.

Light The Way Missing Persons Advocacy Project is putting together a project to commemorate the one-year anniversary since Oakley was discovered missing. To acknowledge the amount of invested time searching and seeking answers for Oakley and what she has meant to many people within the community and beyond, Light The Way will be making a video to show support for Oakley and the Hiles family (Oakley’s foster parents).

Light The Way is asking for people who would feel comfortable recording a 30-second or less video answering the question, “What does it mean to you to be an Oakley’s Angel?” People are advised to email their videos to Light The Way at shaynalighttheway@gmail.com.

All videos must be submitted by Wednesday, Nov. 23.

More at link/

Dec. 6, 2022 marks one year since Oakley Carlson went missing in Grays Harbor County, Washington. It is also her birthday. The reward for anyone who can help find Oakley is now more than $85,000.

Which case/podcast was this? You piqued my interest

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan