ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think LE has a short list of student They want to interview once school resumes, My guess is On Monday? School starts? They May even Have A suspect, if so, They’re not going to inform the public Think about it Everyone is gone temporarily, Let’s See what next week brings us, furthermore DNA isn’t going to help if The perp has never been in trouble, Although it will help in elimination suspect and if they find A POI… JMO

turned her life around from what?!
I noted this back when the article came out. People are a little uncomfortable discussing it because it may imply some sort of guilt on behalf of the victims, but that is not how I mean it. To me this crime speaks of someone coming from the past (maybe recent past) because they’re very angry about someone’s improved circumstances and moving on. I thought Kaylee maybe because of the new job, Range Rover, etc. but reference to Xana having trouble before is interesting. Now she was happy in a new relationship and doing well. Who could that trigger? It doesn’t necessarily have to be an ex or a stalker, it could be related to money or other issues as well. But also it’s probably nothing, of course.

It's amazing to me that all these news outlets have these so called crime experts that all say different things. Some say it was a stranger, some say it was someone they knew, some say it was a serial killer, some say it was angry ex and on and on. When in reality they probably don't know any more about this case than any member on here (probably less lol). So, what they are doing is basically pushing their theory. The problem with that is that because they are labeled an expert people tend to believe what they are saying. Right now there is probably one person who really knows what happened that night. The killer. So while we can theorize and try to figure things out, the truth won't come out until they are caught, and maybe even then we may not know the whole story. But I feel it's wrong for these experts to push their theories as fact before we really know anything at all. That is why I like this site so much. Any member can theorize about what happened, and add their own unique insight while other members can question, add their own insight, or agree, but no one is pushing their narrative as fact.

Even someone familiar with the home would have to be uncommonly bold to enter it,
unless it is someone who has previously committed break and enters, imo. speculation, rbbm
Snippets of lengthy article.

by Michael Arntfield 2018
''Conventional thinking has suggested for years that predatory offences like exhibitionism or actual sexual assaults are typically the early crimes committed by future serial sex predators.''

''The Canadian study in part validates earlier research and expert input that strongly recommended that DNA evidence from B-and-Es should be included in the National DNA Data Bank, this despite the fact that they weren't widely regarded as sex offences.''

''That's because, unlike a conventional break-in where items have been stolen, the intruder who was merely looking and took nothing is not pursued at all, even though he may have had far more sinister motives. He is free to continue experimenting and escalating in his methods. Chances are, he is described below.''

''The six sub-types''
2- Voyeuristic. Normally involves discreet entry that may appear only as tampering. The offender's objective is to conduct surveillance of the premises and collect intelligence on the lives of the occupant(s) before returning. This method is widely believed to have been the modus operandi of the still unidentified Original Night Stalker/East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer, one of the most prolific serial rapists and killers in American history.''

''3-Somnophilic. Often an escalation from Typology 2, and often known as "sleepwatcher" cases. The offender enters a specifically targeted location in the middle of the night while occupants are at home and asleep. The offender watches and/or photographs/records the occupants without their knowledge. The occupants have no knowledge or memory of the intruder being in their bedrooms. Recent cases targeting university students in London, Ont. and Halifax brought overdue national attention to this typology. In most cases, the only items stolen will be souvenirs.''
I had a friend who had a sleep watcher. Stranger, a young guy who lived down the street. When he was caught, he confessed that he had been in her room watching her sleep many times. He would climb up her parent’s deck and open the sliding glass door, walk through the hall past her parents’ bedroom and into her room. Would leave the same way. She would wake up many nights and feel someone had touched her, or was there. But she dismissed it, thinking it was a dream or a shadow. Then one night she focused on a shadow that she thought was her clothes on the chair. And she heard him breathe. Screamed, he jumped and ran out of the house, jumped off the deck and down the street. They got him through fingerprints and a canvas.

This murderer was quiet enough that no one called 911, woke anyone up, got attacked by a dog. Four times.

In regard to the dog, I’m inclined to believe that they found it the morning of the murders, not the night.

The police’s news release on 11/21 states:

On the night of the incident, officers located a dog at the residence. The dog was unharmed and turned over to Animal Services and then released to a responsible party.

Then the next release on 11/22 states:

On the morning of the incident, officers located a dog at the residence. The dog was unharmed and turned over to Animal Services and then released to a responsible party.

I'm not so sure that both versions aren't accurate. Perhaps they originally said 'night' but there were too many questions as to which night. So the statement was changed to morning. Most would assume that they meant sometime shortly after they were called to the house.

However, 'morning' technically starts just after midnight. So, the dog could have been picked up any time between then and dawn, and both statements would be factual.

Also note the use of 'at' the house rather than 'in' the house.

IMO, K would not have gone to bed if the dog was missing. So, if the dog ended up outside, it's likely that the killer let him out, either accidentally or intentionally.

Assume for a moment that someone reports the dog running loose. Around 4am, Police respond and find the dog scratching at the door trying to get it. They knock on the 2nd floor door with no answer - downstairs doesn't hear them, and upstairs is dead. They take the dog and leave.

What if the killer was still in the house? If so, maybe they freaked out and took off, and that's why those in the basement survived. The police being there at 4 would also explain the narrow time window being given for the murders.

I would never rule out faculty members. Last time I spent time at a state "U", 3 profs were having known affairs with students, and there were jokes a plenty from female students who had been hit on by profs and the younger assistant profs. I do tend to think jealousy and rejection played a part here, if only intense class envy towards college kids. Also I would not rule out a religious aspect, ie judgments against a possible more free lifestyle for most college kids than some fanatic may have approved of.

I wonder if they are looking into any off campus activities the kids may have had, volunteer activities, most sororities, in my experience, organize "altruistic" projects in the community.

Speaking purely for myself, as a prof, when not involved in clinical rotations -- not likely. There are plenty of safeguarding rules, with significant penalties for breach, at both of the U15 / R universities I am associated with. Relationships with students are discouraged and taken far more seriously now than even in the 90s. I've been on uni committees and specifically disciplinary committees investigating such breaches and penalties include suspension and termination, even for tenured faculty.

All things are possible until the case is solved, but I think the focus here is more likely on a specific stalking / targeting situation, or even an Israel Keys-type lone wolf, and less on a prof-student dalliance gone badly wrong. IMO.

mpl
Everything I've ever read or watched about women who kill - it's 98% of the time the murder of a close family member (partner or children).

Once in a while, you get a Jodi Arias who kills her boyfriend - but again, someone very interpersonally related.

Very rarely there have been women who kill the lover of their (cheating) partner.

This is not counting those who kill someone in self-defense.
example:

Pennsylvania wife ambushes husband's lover and kills herself

https://www.bbc.com › world-us-canada-43899187

Apr 26, 2018 — Jennair Gerardot, 48, broke into the house of Meredith Chapman, 33, and ambushed her as she returned home on Monday evening. Investigators say ...

but he was her husband, so not exactly a "stranger" she was obsessed with

LE is reviewing the murder in Silverton, Oregon where an intruder entered a home at 3 AM and stabbed a couple that was sleeping. Travis Juetten, a 26 year old black belt in Tai Kwon Do, died but his wife survived 19 stab wounds! They had a person sleeping upstairs who was a cat sitter was alerted and the stabbed left. The cat sitter was there because the couple was leaving the next day for Hawaii
I forgot to say this happened a year ago

I had a friend who had a sleep watcher. Stranger, a young guy who lived down the street. When he was caught, he confessed that he had been in her room watching her sleep many times. He would climb up her parent’s deck and open the sliding glass door, walk through the hall past her parents’ bedroom and into her room. Would leave the same way. She would wake up many nights and feel someone had touched her, or was there. But she dismissed it, thinking it was a dream or a shadow. Then one night she focused on a shadow that she thought was her clothes on the chair. And she heard him breathe. Screamed, he jumped and ran out of the house, jumped off the deck and down the street. They got him through fingerprints and a canvas.

This murderer was quiet enough that no one called 911, woke anyone up, got attacked by a dog. Four times.
That's one of the creepiest things I ever read. :eek:

I still think LE has a short list of student They want to interview once school resumes, My guess is On Monday? School starts? They May even Have A suspect, if so, They’re not going to inform the public Think about it Everyone is gone temporarily, Let’s See what next week brings us, furthermore DNA isn’t going to help if The perp has never been in trouble, Although it will help in elimination suspect and if they find A POI… JMO
One would think that given the brutality of this crime and the threat that the perpetrator represents, interviewing the students who left campus, even if it's via phone or Zoom, is more important than anything else at this point.

Personally, if I were a student on the campus, I would have called in every suspect situation I'd ever experienced in that town.

Why would they let Thanksgiving get in the way of tracking down as much evidence as possible and questioning everyone? Priorities!

Last edited:

Wow that story is chilling! That story and the article kinda mesh with the thoughts of the profilers that have been interviewed.

JMO

I think it is also strange that there is no information regarding the surviving girls night. Should be just as important as the deceased students, IMO.
I am pretty confident that the unharmed roommates don’t want any attention on them. For their protection, security and privacy I believe LE feels the same. And, it may be PART of the reason the 911 call hasn’t been released.

This is absolutely bonkers.

Lock your doors and windows, people! That's why they're there - to keep people out of your personal space.

This is why most people don't sleep in tents every night (unless they have to) - because there are creeps who will enter your home if you don't lock the doors.

One would think that given the brutality of this crime and the threat that the perpetrator represents, interviewing the students who left campus is more important than anything else at this point.

Personally, if I were a student on the campus, I would have called in every suspect situation I'd ever experienced in that town.

Why would they let Thanksgiving get in the way of tracking down as much evidence as possible and questioning everyone? Priorities!
Just an opinion, But tracking down students gone on break might be difficult and time consuming and Any POI You would want to interview them in person I Would think.. jmo

Trying to see connections is hard because of high risk activities that may make a person more vulnerable to attack. Do they know people who deal in drugs, or an addict who steals.
It takes time for LE to figure that info out, and it may not be released.
We hate to imagine it is random, so lean on stats- and

stats don’t work with serials.

How did these persons even get on the radar of a killer?

SLadd was 71 yrs old, retired school district employee, mother, grandmother

JMO
Could be random opportunistic choices by a SK. Night Stalker in CA tried windows/doors and entered ones that were open.

This is absolutely bonkers.

Lock your doors and windows, people! That's why they're there - to keep people out of your personal space.

This is why most people don't sleep in tents every night (unless they have to) - because there are creeps who will enter your home if you don't lock the doors.

Don't just lock them, either. If you have a slider get a bar as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus