ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just watching the news about this massacre. The problem is about "mixed DNA", meaning it is hard to get DNA when the victim and perpetrator blood is "mixed". And even if they get a match of DNA from both separate scenes, the bedrooms, if the perpetrator has never given DNA to LEO, it is useless. Just a random DNA.

It may be useful if they have a definite suspect. But, if that suspect has been in that house, and those areas, he may have legitimate reasons why his DNA was found. Depending on where and what it is...
There is technology to handle DNA samples from more than one person. The perpetrator doesn't need to have given DNA to make an identity. Forensic genetic genealogy has been making identifications from distant cousin matches. The Darrell Brooks trials had expert testimony on separating samples from more than one person.

I'm curious why you think that an expectation to privacy applies to people who were present at a quadruple murder.

It is a legal term, the 4th A guarantees it to all citizens, and some states have heightened expectations. I am not sure that the expectation of privacy referred to by @CSIDreamer is regarding the 4A, but regardless, there is nothing that would require someone to speak to the media, and much harm can come from it. A little info, but you can do an interesting deep dive, too: expectation of privacy

and think about it this way: if you were one of the two surviving victims would you: 1. be more interested in protecting yourself and the details of the case that may help solve it, or 2. prioritize satiating the curiosity of tabloid readers, etc. for some fast cash? I'd choose option 1.

edited to take out name of specific publication

Last edited:
I'm curious why you think that an expectation to privacy applies to people who were present at a quadruple murder.
they weren't present. They were on a different floor and saw nothing. There were other people there when the 911 call was made, it's possible that these people saw more of the aftermath than the 2 unharmed roomies did. Someone else already said this, but the most valuable things they most likely shared with police were the comings and goings in the house, possibly tips on weird or creepy people who may have come in at a party. LE has already "cleared" certain people mainly because social media was all over them, possibly making them targets and putting their own lives and reputations in danger.

It is a legal term, the 4th A guarantees it to all citizens, and some states have heightened expectations. I am not sure that the expectation of privacy referred to by @CSIDreamer is regarding the 4A, but regardless, there is nothing that would require someone to speak to the media, and much harm can come from it. A little info, but you can do an interesting deep dive, too: expectation of privacy

and think about it this way: if you were one of the two surviving victims would you: 1. be more interested in protecting yourself and the details of the case that may help solve it, or 2. would you prioritize satiating the curiosity of Daily Mail readers, etc. for some fast cash? I'd choose option 1.
And they may be in terror that the killer has not been arrested, and their lives may be in jeopardy. Or just are still processing the whole event.

I think it is also strange that there is no information regarding the surviving girls night. Should be just as important as the deceased students, IMO.
Just jumping off your post...

Many questions have been asked regarding the full itinerary of E and X...on that night...
It has been reported that the two went to a frat party...

but didnt E. take his sis to a dance that same night?

Could that account for some of the"lost" hours?

Perhaps X accompanied the group to the dance?

Perhaps I have the dates wrong?

ALL... MOO...

I think it is also strange that there is no information regarding the surviving girls night. Should be just as important as the deceased students, IMO.
I agree with you. Where they went that night, and who they saw and interacted with may be the key to solving this crime - which reminds me of what LE said early on about them - "this is their story to tell." Not insinuating that they were directly involved, but could be indirectly involved.

Here is my current thinking on the case with the available public statements.

1. A targeted attack from someone in one of the young people’s lives.

If this is the case, I would assume that there is a wealth of physical evidence of the killer. Further, that potential suspects are known to survivors or family, and that law enforcement is building a case based on this evidence. Any victims that weren’t the target would have been killed secondary to their intervention in the killing, such as waking up and investigating the crime. Because they would have been awake, the killer would have been more likely to leave evidence from those unplanned altercations. The killer would not have had much of kit and planning would have been limited. That person is now making mistakes or acting strange or nervous. Unlikely to reoffend in the short term with little association to other cases.

2. An attack from someone not immediately in their circle, where targeting, if any, is more circumstantial from someone being noticed or from social media. In this case I would assume the killer planned more and would be less likely to leave physical evidence that can be matched based on local law enforcement activities. The multiple killings would be related to this person’s extreme callousness, depravity, and urge to kill. High likelihood of association to other cases and high likelihood of reoffending. Patterns become more important here as well as matching evidence to other crimes.

If it is true that there is limited physical evidence of the perpetrator, an assumption from the second scenario, then it is also less likely for the multiple murders to be related to bystander intervention. The fact that all were killed the way they were is deeply troubling. If there is no arrest made soon or person of interest identified, I would be very surprised if this was “a crime of passion” or similar.

And they may be in terror that the killer has not been arrested, and their lives may be in jeopardy. Or just are still processing the whole event.
I’m sure They’re In Hiding, I know I would Be for the time being, I can’t help but sympathize with Them, They need to be left alone, LE needs to make sure this happens

I’m sure They’re In Hiding, I know I would Be for the time being, I can’t help but sympathize with Them, They need to be left alone, LE needs to make sure this happens

I think they are being kept under lock and key, as well.
There is no way the perp is comfortable knowing that they missed 2 people in that house, and not knowing what they heard/saw, and what has been shared with the investigators.

they weren't present. They were on a different floor and saw nothing. There were other people there when the 911 call was made, it's possible that these people saw more of the aftermath than the 2 unharmed roomies did. Someone else already said this, but the most valuable things they most likely shared with police were the comings and goings in the house, possibly tips on weird or creepy people who may have come in at a party. LE has already "cleared" certain people mainly because social media was all over them, possibly making them targets and putting their own lives and reputations in danger.
I agree 100%. Just because they were in the same building, but did not witness the murders makes them no different than the people showed up the next day. Also, because of the interest and the lack of info on this case, people tend to focus or to place blame on people who more than likely had no part in the murders. Just the fact there have been numerous people on here questioning how could they not hear the murders means that there are some that think that they were possibly involved in some way. So I totally understand their privacy rights. Otherwise people would be harassing them constantly just because there is this lack of info.

Good idea! I was thinking about a place to hideout that no one would bother with (enter unexpectedly).
Photo #11/23 of the Zillow listing for the rental shows an opening to an attic space just outside the 3rd level bathroom and one of the 3rd level bedrooms (i.e., in the upstairs hall just above the stairs). It is possible that an agile person could climb atop the ledge above the stairs and hoist themselves up into that opening (and use that same ledge to climb back down).

If It were A stalker And LE had An idea or possibly A POI I doubt they would let this out publicly, LE tends to keep important thing close to the best, I know they said they looked into the stalker thing, And said they weren’t able to corroborate This, that’s a little differant than denying It wasn’t a stalker, I respect everyone’s opinion but, I still believe the person that did this knew at least one of his victims and probably all of them And felt comfortable going into a house where he knew most or all of them were prob passed out from a nite of partying, And most serial killers have a sexual component to their crimes, nothing has been mentioned about anything in a sexual manner

And apparently Kaylee was on the up and up about safety, a "websleuther" in some sense and IIRC her sister said she did everything right (leaving in pairs, cab home, etc.).

So if she was a true crime follower in any form, she would know steps to take if she had a stalker - tell those around you (if anything happens to me do this), report, document document document, and keep a digital log/trail of some sort. She seems savvy enough to do this, I would think she did if there was a stalker if even a mild one.

It's amazing to me that all these news outlets have these so called crime experts that all say different things. Some say it was a stranger, some say it was someone they knew, some say it was a serial killer, some say it was angry ex and on and on. When in reality they probably don't know any more about this case than any member on here (probably less lol). So, what they are doing is basically pushing their theory. The problem with that is that because they are labeled an expert people tend to believe what they are saying. Right now there is probably one person who really knows what happened that night. The killer. So while we can theorize and try to figure things out, the truth won't come out until they are caught, and maybe even then we may not know the whole story. But I feel it's wrong for these experts to push their theories as fact before we really know anything at all. That is why I like this site so much. Any member can theorize about what happened, and add their own unique insight while other members can question, add their own insight, or agree, but no one is pushing their narrative as fact.
That’s Best post ive read So far

They owe the general public nothing. I wish they'd come up with a different term than survivors. I'd say just leave them alone, they have cooperated with LE. They have enough to deal with without reaching out to media or youtube to begin another cycle of salacious/speculative chatter.
'Oh look at the way she tilted her head', 'wow dupers delight', 'fake crying, no tears', 'she's not very upset considering..', 'you can tell she's lying' etc. etc.

Photo #11/23 of the Zillow listing for the rental shows an opening to an attic space just outside the 3rd level bathroom and one of the 3rd level bedrooms (i.e., in the upstairs hall just above the stairs). It is possible that an agile person could climb atop the ledge above the stairs and hoist themselves up into that opening (and use that same ledge to climb back down).
Yikes! Good observation.

7823e4607a10db712994adf8548aeee2-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.webp

Do you know offhand if the attic has window access or no? I guess I'm being lazy and should go look at pics myself! I'm just catching up so, taking the short cut ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa