ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea of targeting the house doesn't seem valid to me. What would be the reason to target the house? And lets say someone hates the house for whatever reason, wouldn't they then harm the house (burn it down, etc?).

The idea of targeting the house doesn't seem valid to me. What would be the reason to target the house? And lets say someone hates the house for whatever reason, wouldn't they then harm the house (burn it down, etc?).
Targeted because it provided easy access for intruders or because it housed college kids or one in particular?

12/4/22

[..]

Dozens of local, state and federal investigators have yet to identify a suspect or find the murder weapon used in the attack last month in Moscow.

The public, as well as the victims’ family members, have criticized police for releasing little information, in what at times has been a confusing narrative.

But the complex nature of a high-level homicide investigation involves utmost discretion from police, experts say, because any premature hint to the public about a suspect or the various leads police are following can cause it to fall apart.

“What police have been reluctant to do in this case is to say they have a suspect, even though they have had suspects who have risen and fallen in various levels of importance, because that’s the nature of the beast,” said John Miller, CNN chief law enforcement analyst and former deputy commissioner of intelligence and counterterrorism for the New York Police Department.

“Police having no suspects is factually incorrect,” Miller said. “Police have had a number of suspects they’ve looked at, but they have no suspect they’re willing to name. You don’t name them unless you have a purpose for that. That’s not unusual.”

[..]

Targeting of the house doesn't mean hating the house structure. It means that the house was giving the killer a target of opportunity. Stuff like unlocked doors and windows, concealed entry and exit, lack of security systems, etc.

ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random

To any members who have complained about removal of their off topic posts and TOs issued for derailing the discussion.

There is a very good reason Off Topic posts are a violation of Websleuths TOS.

First of all, the threads are not personal chat or comedy rooms. Off topic posts derail the thread, making the thread all about you and what you want to talk about. Each day, hundreds of members and thousands of guests come to Websleuths to read about the topic the thread is dedicated to, not to read about you or your life or what you think is funny. It is disrespectful to the victims who these threads are dedicated to.

The one thread you post off topic in is not the only active thread that Mods and Admins deal with every day. WS has thousands of threads, 212,000+ members, and only 4 staff to deal with hundreds of active threads 24/7 .

Simple math ... if there are 200 members currently online and even 5% of those members feel it is okay to sneak in that innocuous little off topic post, and each of those 10 posts receives 10 responses and those responses receive even 2 responses each, that is 200 off topic posts alone that our volunteer Moderators would have to search for and remove in a day (in addition to all the other TOS violations they have to deal with).

This means that for your little post that you think is harmless, our staff have to go through pages and pages of posts to find all the responses to your OT post.

Please be courteous to other members, the families and guests reading here, and to our volunteer staff who work very hard in trying to keep the discussions respectful and on topic.

Thank you.
This will help pertaining to why certain posts are deleted and why no one should ask why their post(s) were deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
Elliott Rodger targeted a certain sorority house in the Isla Vista shootings as they were known as the "hottest".

To switch gears quick, I have a question I don't know has been discussed - but I definitely could have missed it! We know the apartment complex that was on the hill/next to the house didn't have an active outdoor working building/flood light(s). Do we know how long this had been out/not working? It wasn't intentionally disabled somehow, was it? We know it was quickly fixed/lights replaced following this heinous crime.

I just find it so 'convenient', or so fortunate, rather, for the suspect that this was out/not working. And that this is so commonplace in other crimes - video surveillance happens to be down, no traffic cam at the exact spot needed, or like this - no light that would have possibly dissuaded a crime from happening. No guarantee it wouldn't have happened anyway, obviously, but if there were lights clearly illuminating the house and surrounding properties, it would have been even ballsier. A shame there weren't motion lights anywhere nearby, either.

Lately I think this case is similar to the Moriah Wilson murder. The brazen killer was obvious from the start, and all LE has to do is keep the suspect comfortable while gathering the definitive damning evidence. They don't want to spook him and risk him running or killing himself. imo.

Not if the person was worried that the fire would spread to a nearby residence.

I believe by the 'house' they mean the group as a collective rather than the physical structure. imo

Want to carry this over. The Lawrence Jones interview with SG last night, LJ said from his source close to this case he was told that the two survivors and a fraternity member witnessed one of the victims. He was also told that the crime scene may have actually been pretty preserved.

SG said he didn’t know anything about any of that and so LJ moved on.
At 6:37 is where L J says it

He paid the bill means SG believes he paid dearly with the life of his daughter and why he so badly wants to speak out (and probably asked not to share certain details).

I also suspect that one victim had more stab wounds than the other (SG's statement the means don't match).

The family is clearly upset they are not being updated with every detail but this is a perfect example of why LE does not generally share details with family. Family members are too vulnerable -- they're in shock.

More important is that investigations evolve, it's not like TV. It's one thing to identify the suspect but another to successfully prosecute them. Investigators are charged with keeping things under wrap and not risking the evidence being ruled inadmissible because it was blasted on MSM before the suspect was apprehended and charged. MOO

ETA: Imo, SG was having an emotional moment here and his statement about going upstairs was in reference to the chain of command in the investigation, and not literally the physical stairs.
Law enforcement is aware that the perpetrator may be closely following this case. So LE is going to be careful about what info they disseminate. With SG being as vocal as he is, LE will likely be extra cautious in giving him info. The sad reality is that LE prioritizes capturing and convicting the perpetrator over giving answers & providing a level of comfort to the families of the victims.

There were questions in the last thread about targeting. Here is the FBI's definition of targeting in one of their handbooks (page 41) via link:

Note that targeting does not necessarily mean a specific victim or victims and can be due to a variety of offender explanations. I have also included an attached image of the page.

Attachments

• IMG-6808.jpeg
    IMG-6808.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 57
I believe News Nation has a special at 9 eastern today (Sunday) on Moscow murder live on YouTube. Some extended original interviews done outside of the LE circle of influence so it looks like it should be good information to observe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member