ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if the footprint on this is exactly as found (direction wise)? That direction suggests he’s facing and heading toward the kitchen (away from DMs door). That, paired with the attention needed a few steps before to step down from the living room - plus he’s intent on getting out and exhausted would suggest that’s it’s plausible he didn’t see DM at all. I think she is lucky to be alive based on this. MOO.

If you read the specific wording in the PCA on page 4, when DM sees the figure he is first described as walking towards her, then as walking past her and then as heading towards the back sliding door, and the police allege that he exits the scene. On page 5, the PCA states that the direction of the footprint is consistent with the path of travel described by DM, i.e. in the direction of the sliding kitchen door.

Lots of speculation about the knife and sheath. A key point is that the police went to area shops to find out if they had sold the knife. Meaning the sheath they found is likely brand new and unused.

I don’t think people understand how big this knife is. It’s like a small sword. A soldier would likely wear it tightly strapped to their leg at both the top and bottom of the sheath. Potentially on their shin down by their boot or their upper thigh, rather than have a foot long mini sword flapping around their waist on their belt.

It can be used as a tool or field knife. Made of very strong, thick metal with a razor sharp edge, can be used to pry, dig, strip branches, chop kindling, cut rope, hammer with the handle end, etc.

Outdoorsman who used this in the field would be very comfortable strapping it to their body and pulling it and sheathing it, thousands of times, second nature.

Imo, BK likely never used a knife like this in that way before. He carried it around in his hand in the sheath like the new purchase it was, and then took it out of the sheath in Maddys room.

One wild speculation, he may have left the sheath on purpose to try to make it look like a marine with a government issued military knife did this. He likely wiped the sheath and wore gloves that night, but didn’t realize he had left some oil or sweat somewhere in the snap from Weeks prior.

The "bottom snap" on the knife. The underside part of the snap that is touching the handle. The part that gets pushed into the handle and any DNA on that handle every time it is snapped into place. The part with an indent that can hold lots of DNA that does not get wiped off unless you take a teeny tiny bush and clean it out (which most people never do). The handle that probably only got wiped down right before the murders(if at all).

Nicely found.
I believe that would be referred to as the "underside of snap" or something similar. Referring to it as "bottom snap" implies there are multiple snaps, which isn't accurate. I think this is just inaccurate information/typo

MOO: He'll plead guilty. In part to spare his family the agony of a trial in which details of his life and crime(s) are bound to be revealed.
(As far as I know only limited details are required to support a guilty plea... not a minute by minute description). And partly out of arrogance. That way, if he actually acted alone, he'll be
the only person on earth who will know exactly what happened that terrible morning - and why.
If he’s stupid enough to believe he’d get away with killing 4 people then he’s also stupid enough to think he’ll beat the charges and be found not guilty.

Jmo

IIRC the statement was by the management and spoke for the employees.

That's my memory too. And I know the reporter is a Twitter blue check and that she writes for a local paper - still can't find her or the story.

Still looking.

The "bottom snap" on the knife. The underside part of the snap that is touching the handle. The part that gets pushed into the handle and any DNA on that handle every time it is snapped into place. The part with an indent that can hold lots of DNA that does not get wiped off unless you take a teeny tiny bush and clean it out (which most people never do). The handle that probably only got wiped down right before the murders(if at all).

Nicely found.

I agree, what it means is he snapped the handle into place in the sheath, and likely did so with a sweaty ungloved hand.
When he wiped the sheath down he missed the inside of the snap. Perfect place to sample for DNA that someone would miss Wiping it down!

But, we don’t know that there isn’t more DNA on it in other places. There could be.

JMO

Last edited:
Why should the father notice….? Genuinely asking, as I haven’t heard anything to indicate the father had any kind of relationship (past or present) with that knife and it just generally doesn’t seem like a dad would care that much about monitoring his 28 year old son’s possessions?
MOO That knife would live in a tub of teen era belongings in the garage for 90% of owners.

I believe that would be referred to as the "underside of snap" or something similar. Referring to it as "bottom snap" implies there are multiple snaps, which isn't accurate. I think this is just inaccurate information/typo
I got that which is why I put "bottom snap" in quotes. But thank you.

Reactions: IDK
MOO he expected one girl in one bed. Got two and then on exit there was someone up downstairs leading to dispatch of two more, failed to notice DMs door open a slit, or it was dark inside the room and so he investigated no further, left.
MOO he expected and found one girl in bed, MM. He was disturbed by KG who was sleeping in the room next door and had come to investigate. KG may have been the one to note that "there's someone here", in accordance with DM's statement. As he was leaving, he was spotted by X who may have been the one to note that "there's someone here", in accordance with LE's investigation. X was awake because she was eating in the living room. He attacked X and then E. He may have noticed DM but wanted to keep her alive because he knows that some serial killers do that, or thought she was on the phone to the police. He may not have noticed DM because it was dark, and/or as you note, he was tired, he was euphoric. All IMO.

I agree that would have been better language. But let me add that the average age of officers at Moscow PD is quite young. All that's needed for employment as LE is a high school diploma in most places, for city police especially. Sometimes, they want a certificate (18 units) of community college or state university, sometimes they want an AA (rare, but if required, then in criminal justice).

I teach a lab class that counts toward the 18 units of some cities here in my region. It is popular with recent high school grads seeking to get a job (uniformed or non-uniformed) in LE, because having even a few units is better than no units. Another class I teach routinely is on the list as a lecture course (for LE as well as for other professions, like nursing).

One of the big reasons that LE management (with whom I consult about curriculum) wants these classes is to improve student observation and writing skills. I think this young officer did a good job and I've seen much, much worse in terms of LE-written affidavits. I've been given good examples and bad examples to work from. His is pretty good, he just has a few stylistic errors.

I think people are comparing his written efforts to those that are drawn up by actual attorneys or experienced paralegals.

I think you're right that it should have said "underside," but to him, it was "bottom of the snap" or "bottom snap." To me, the earnest and individual language of the PCA is supposed to show that an actual human, an LEO, went out to the seen and was tasked with later writing it up as a PCA - chosen due to his better writing skills, as he's definitely way better than average, IMO.

In some places, attorneys do assist LE in writing such things or at least review them, but that's not true in the smallish town where I live now, it's done entirely by police and their own admin staff. It's supposed to be in the "voice" of the officer writing it.

Is this it?

Nope - but getting closer! That's the Corner Club. Apparently the CC is a big hang-out spot for the Greek houses. It's small, food service is pub style, and the owner kind of hangs out with the people at that venue (he's seen in the video/youtube).

We were discussing Mad Greek, where both X and M worked. And which is listed as the top vegan restaurant in Moscow, ID. The other is not Rachel Sharp, though, sigh.

Still looking. Thanks so much for helping - and good to see you!

I got that which is why I put "bottom snap" in quotes. But thank you.
Here are the parts of a snap.
The whole thing is apparently called a snap button.

Just a comment: My thoughts and concerns continue to be with DM and BF. Most of us can only imagine what those two young women saw and experienced. I hope they are receiving professional care and support, and at some point are able to move forward with their lives.
I was thinking about that myself. We have all watched the TikToks and seen the photos of a group of young people living their best lives, creating memories to last a lifetime. Most who have the college experience look back on this time in their lives remember the fun they had and how carefree those times were compared to the lives they have later on with careers, families, responsibilities, etc... (Don't get me wrong, college carries a lot of responsibility as well, but its different.)

So of course this monster took the lives of 4 people in their primes, but he also took away everything from the survivors. Forever, they will always look back on these days with grief, sadness and horror, instead of enjoying the memories for years to come. I am so sad that was taken from these young women. I cannot imagine what they are going through right now, and like you, hope they have a strong network of support.

Did the white Elantra originally come into play from the body cam when the cop visited the band field (noise complaint from underage intoxicated kids)? I can’t remember how the car info first surfaced.

{{ SNIPPED BY ME FOR BREVITY }}
One wild speculation, he may have left the sheath on purpose to try to make it look like a marine with a government issued military knife did this. He likely wiped the sheath and wore gloves that night, but didn’t realize he had left some oil or sweat somewhere in the snap from Weeks prior.
I've been toying around with that idea, as well. I have felt all along that this was a well orchestrated crime, but for the suspect to haphazardly "forget" the sheath on the bed just reeks of amateur hour to me! I'm also starting to feel he left it there on purpose.

We know that BCK went to great lengths after the crime to wear latex gloves in public, etc. so as not leave his DNA/fingerprints anywhere for LE to pick up. The DNA from BCK on the snap of the knife sheath is really so minimal compared the the DNA that he potentially could have left there had he not planned this out to a T. He just wasn't as lucky as he had likely hoped to be.

IMO one of the victim's struggled and fought with him and in so doing pulled the sheath of his belt. Is this possible, in your opinion, since you own one.
In my opinion the only way a victim could pull the sheath off of his belt would be to unbuckle his belt first and then grab the sheath to pull it off. I don't see that happening.

{{ SNIPPED BY ME FOR BREVITY }}

I've been toying around with that idea, as well. I have felt all along that this was a well orchestrated crime, but for the suspect to haphazardly "forget" the sheath on the bed just reeks of amateur hour to me! I'm also starting to feel he left it there on purpose.

We know that BCK went to great lengths after the crime to wear latex gloves in public, etc. so as not leave his DNA/fingerprints anywhere for LE to pick up. The DNA from BCK on the snap of the knife sheath is really so minimal compared the the DNA that he potentially could have left there had he not planned this out to a T. He just wasn't as lucky as he had likely hoped to be.
I dunno, it's easy to be super careful when you're cosplaying, much harder during the real thing.

Did the white Elantra originally come into play from the body cam when the cop visited the band field (noise complaint from underage intoxicated kids)? I can’t remember how the car info first surfaced.
No. For the public, the car first came to play when LE released the information as to exactly what they were looking for. LE knew about the vehicle almost immediately after the crime, though. The nonsense about the car being in the police body cam video at the 11/13 band field visit is completely social media speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500