ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
From thread #55 Blackbeary Yes. This was his 'out', as sickening as it sounds. He could never live up to the expectations of his family, you can see in the police stops in Indiana, how proud his father is of his son, I'm sure his mother and sisters felt the same way.

It all came to a head. I agree, if finally after studying how to plan and carry out the perfect murder, he may have realized that he was never going to complete the PhD program and enter the real world where he had to really make it on his own. So the plan began to form in his mind possibly with no thought to getting caught or the punishment that would follow or maybe didn't care if he got caught and was in prison the rest of his life. JMO.

Any thought to BK pleading guilty and keeping it all to himself???
MOO: He'll plead guilty. In part to spare his family the agony of a trial in which details of his life and crime(s) are bound to be revealed.
(As far as I know only limited details are required to support a guilty plea... not a minute by minute description). And partly out of arrogance. That way, if he actually acted alone, he'll be
the only person on earth who will know exactly what happened that terrible morning - and why.

Nothing suggests he saw her and killing four people in 15 minutes would be exhausting. He's not a robot
I don't think he saw her, either. if he had seen her I don't think he would have left her alive.
He was so pumped with adrenaline, I imagine he didn't "come down" from the adrenaline rush until after he got home. Adrenaline can do crazy things to a person, I doubt he was exhausted. It takes awhile for adrenaline to "go away", for lack of a better way to put it. It can take up to 30 minutes for someone to "calm down", or even up to an hour. So my guess is that he never even saw DM.

Weren't EC's wounds redacted in the PCA? Also, I don't have a link but weren't KG's injuries worse to certain organs?
No it was not redacted. It was an inadvertent scan of the back of page 1 that had been included in the original PDF (they’ve since corrected the PDF). It just happened to come when the discussion of finding Ethan’s body split between pages 1 and 2 so some people assumed it was something about him redacted.

We don't know which sheath he has, but the standard USMC stamped one mentioned in the PCA does have a loop for the belt.

I'm the one who mentioned a jacket and I'm sticking to that theory. I believe he was wearing layered clothing that night (if not, he is truly the world's dumbest criminal alive today). I believe he was wearing a jacket, now disposed of. I believe the PCA mentions that DM says he's wearing one, but I'm going from memory.

And I wasn't necessarily meaning horizontal carry, because I see people vertical carry at the small of their back when we're in the woods (sheath inside their trousers usually, often outdoor style pants with some elastic in the waist so that the person can climb and jump as well).

I don't believe it was on his belt or even that he was wearing a belt.

I live in a cold climate and until your post was unaware that some jackets were made with a knife pocket.

I checked all our ‘chores’ coats and they all have various inside pockets but none of them are large enough for a knife that size although I do carry a small folding knife intended to cut bale strings in one of my inside pockets.

I’m wondering if the knife pockets are regional or something that would need to be special ordered.

I also don’t feel his wore his sheath on a belt.

Had to skip the last couple threads. Haven't seen any news.

Anything new since the Criminal Complaint and Arrest Warrant posted? TIA
Not really.
Mostly speculating on the why and how of it..
could be a long wait before facts become available.
I agree with you, but I think you maybe mean 'effectively', since the descriptions that were leaked seem to me to describe major overkill, which would perhaps suggest inexperience.
Both really.
silenced, fast and dead and each killing lasting just a few minutes.
Even known terrorists spend hours practicing as part of their training.
It will be interesting as well as horrible to learn of the forensics here.

I do too. E has to be a factor to consider here, because unless he was completely plastered out of his wits, there's no way BK could have murdered X, with her crying all the while, and somebody talking to her, without E waking up and reacting somehow. And we know X was awake during the whole event, so how could BK murder E without X either fighting him, shouting, or fleeing, especially if she wasn't cornered in the room, but right by the door. DM didn't report hearing any of this kind of sound (unless she did but it wasn't included in the PCA).

Instead, DM reports hearing crying, twice, coming from X's room. I know it's contentious whether or not that is blood dripping down the side of the house, but its placement would be consistent with a body bleeding against the wall of that room, the wall nearest where the camera captured a loud thud at 4:17. I think that was E and BK. I do think other posters' idea about the order the murder charges were listed could be order of death (maybe, maybe not), but maybe X was stabbed before E, injured, then E was killed, and finally, BK came back to X to "help" her, and he finished the job right before DM saw him leave. It's the only way I can put all the details together with what I know so far, which isn't much...
The way I'm seeing it now, X is up and about, BK enters the house and steps into the living room area; X sees him, backs up toward the bedroom and tries to arouse E. By this time, though, he's right on her, and stabs her before she can do anything else. He then enters the bedroom, stabs E (who might not even be awake, depending on the circumstances) and then moves upstairs, stabs the two sleeping girls (this is where the dog starts barking, making the commotion that D describes as someone playing with the dog), comes downstairs, sees that E is still alive, dispatches her (making some sort of statement in the process), then leaves. Perhaps he sees D sticking her head out the bedroom door; perhaps he's too zoned out to notice her, but at the very least he's thinking he's done enough mayhem and caused enough ruckus that somebody (maybe even D) is calling the authorities, so he gets while the getting is good. Note that he's said to have driven away at a high rate of speed, which is consonant with his fearing capture, and not a very discrete thing to do.

This is the best I can make of it!

Bold and RSBM, minor point of order: TAs are deemed employees in most states and at most universities and pay income taxes. There are a few exceptions, for example, if funding is guaranteed for all years without regard for whether the student is teaching or not, and teaching is casual and occasional for the purposes of training the student.

This.

At both of the Unis I'm affiliated with, TAs are considered employees who are compensated via official payroll with the usual taxes and withholdings.

Undergraduate TAs are not generally compensated, unless via a supervising prof's research or RA account lines.

I haven't paid much attention to BCK's academic profile, but based on his mooted research project and reported classroom demeanour, I'd peg him as someone who worked harder on appearing clever than on actually working and preparing to be clever -- its a common enough posture in some grad programs, but it's far from a useful one in getting one well and securing postgrad employment. I'm not surprised that he wasn't rewarded with LE internships. I'd bet he was a sullen and disruptive factor in most of the spaces he tried to navigate.

I am having trouble understanding how he thought he could go in and get out quickly when the (likely) intended victim(s) were not on the first floor. For all his supposed planning, too much could go wrong between the upper floors and his escape that I would think he would pick a safer venue for him to do what he wanted to do and then escape. This house had too many people to be sure of a quick exit without being detected. Even at that hour - even doordash showed up. This seems such an unpredictable place for a criminal to "safely" plan his escape. I am sure there were many other places if he was stalking one or more of them. It keeps bothering me. He flubbed up the scene but it does appear he planned for a while beforehand. His exit strategy was extremely risky. Any thoughts?
I don’t think the plan was ever to kill 4 people.

I believe Kohberger was not anticipating:

1. Anyone awake at 4 am
2. DoorDash delivery at 4 am
3. Dog barking
4. The presence of Ethan in the house

The mind boggles at how someone with even an amateur understanding of crime investigation (much less a degree in the field) would have chosen a college party house as a target, especially if he'd been surveilling the location and would therefore know that people stayed up late and came and went at all hours. To me that indicates that he was either a) so obsessed with a targeted victim(s?) that he was willing to take the enormous risk or b) murder wasn't his original purpose.

We don't know which sheath he has, but the standard USMC stamped one mentioned in the PCA does have a loop for the belt.

I'm the one who mentioned a jacket and I'm sticking to that theory. I believe he was wearing layered clothing that night (if not, he is truly the world's dumbest criminal alive today). I believe he was wearing a jacket, now disposed of. I believe the PCA mentions that DM says he's wearing one, but I'm going from memory.

And I wasn't necessarily meaning horizontal carry, because I see people vertical carry at the small of their back when we're in the woods (sheath inside their trousers usually, often outdoor style pants with some elastic in the waist so that the person can climb and jump as well).

I don't believe it was on his belt or even that he was wearing a belt.

I live in a cold climate and until your post was unaware that some jackets were made with a knife pocket.

I checked all our ‘chores’ coats and they all have various inside pockets but none of them are large enough for a knife that size although I do carry a small folding knife intended to cut bale strings in one of my inside pockets.

I’m wondering if larger knife pockets are regional or something that would need to be special ordered.

I also don’t feel his wore his sheath on a belt.

Trying to settle the debate about the sequence of charges, I looked at the Idaho charges against Daybell/Vallow. They are listed in the order of the disappearances/deaths, which were several weeks apart:

• Conspiracy to commit first-degree murder and grand theft by deception for the death of Tylee Ryan.
  • First-degree murder for the death of Tylee Ryan.
  • Conspiracy to commit first-degree murder and grand theft by deception for the death of J.J. Vallow.
  • First-degree murder for the death of J.J. Vallow.
  • Conspiracy to commit first-degree murder in the death of Tammy Daybell.

I own the same Ka-Bar sheath and there's no way it would fall off if attached to a belt. It's nearly 1/8" thick leather that's looped, stitched and metal riveted together. JMO.
IMO one of the victim's struggled and fought with him and in so doing pulled the sheath of his belt. Is this possible, in your opinion, since you own one.

Yes, but there is one, not two.
Why are some reporters saying the ”bottom snap” implying there are two?

JMO
Inarticulate people. I suspect they are intending to mean the inside (male) component of the snap, as opposed to the outside (female) component.

KA-1217IS.jpg

The female part of the snap is at top in this image. On the bottom you see the rear face of the male portion of the snap.

I just edited my reply as I left out the important part. There's not two on any I've seen. I think the reporters are wrong

Ok, I was curious if I was seeing a different sheath than the one that was found, a different knife size or type of KaBar.
Maybe it is my Texan mishearing?

Appreciate it

JMO

I do have a question for those well versed in knives.

The Affidavit says DNA was found on the button snap of the knife sheath.
Here is the quote, page 2, somehow spaces are removed?*&$#

”As I enteredthisbedroom,Icouldseetwofemalesinthesingle bedintheroom.Both GoncalvesandMogenweredeceasedwithvisible stabwounds.Ialsolaternoticedwhat
appearedtobeatanleatherknifesheathlayingonthebednexttoMogen's right side(when viewedfromthedoor).Thesheathwaslaterprocessedandhad Ka-Bar USMC andthe UnitedStates Marine Corps eagle globe and anchor insignia stamped on the outside ofit. The IdahoStateLablaterlocatedasingle sourceofmaleDNA(SuspectProfile)leftonthebutton snapofthe knife sheath”

Some reporters are saying the bottom snap of the knife sheath.
The KaBar leather sheaths I’ve seen online only have a belt loop, and a small strap for the handle with one button snap. There is no top and bottom button.
Are they just misunderstanding?

Probable Cause Affidavit

Any ideas?

JMO
Agree, there is one snap to hold the knife in the sheath and a lot of the leather sheaths just double the back leather over to create a loop. Really ungainly to have that thing flapping on the thigh. Commandos, like he wanted to be often attach the fighting knife to shoulder straps of packs or LBE.
MOO He put the sheathed knife into a hoodie kangaroo pocket and it fell out. Did not discover it to be gone until at his car.
Knew he had wiped it down, so let it go.

Last edited:
Wouldn't you think that the father would notice the knife missing? He must know.
I must have missed something because I'm not sure if this is referring to a claim that the knife belonged to his father that I've missed or something else, but in general I don't think someone would notice a random knife missing. First, this is a very large knife that people aren't normally carrying around daily so it would be stored somewhere most likely. Also, a lot of people have a lot of knives or other similar gear that they never use and would never notice it was missing unless they just happened to go looking for it.

Wouldn't you think that the father would notice the knife missing? He must know.
Why should the father notice….? Genuinely asking, as I haven’t heard anything to indicate the father had any kind of relationship (past or present) with that knife and it just generally doesn’t seem like a dad would care that much about monitoring his 28 year old son’s possessions?

I must have missed something because I'm not sure if this is referring to a claim that the knife belonged to his father that I've missed or something else, but in general I don't think someone would notice a random knife missing. First, this is a very large knife that people aren't normally carrying around daily so it would be stored somewhere most likely. Also, a lot of people have a lot of knives or other similar gear that they never use and would never notice it was missing unless they just happened to go looking for it.
Yes, the knife that had his father's dna and also the insigna on the sheath. I could be wrong of course, but how many big knives like that would someone have. Once the details of the crime have come out and implicated BK, then I would think the father would look for the knife. I guess that is what "I' would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500