ID - 4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 62

Status
Not open for further replies.
Police said they were able to get a DNA sample from a button snap on the sheath, and later found a connection between that sample and DNA collected from Kohberger’s parents’ home in Pennsylvania.

The 28-year-old appeared in court wearing an orange T-shirt and pants, and gave the judge short one-word answers when asked if he understood his rights during the roughly five-minute-long hearing.

Kohberger's attorney, Anne Taylor, told Marshall that Kohberger was willing to waive his right to a speedy preliminary hearing, which would have required that it be held within two weeks. The hearing itself will likely take four or five days, Taylor said.

He's willing to waive timeliness to allow us time to obtain discovery in the case and be prepared,” Taylor told the judge.
Latah County Prosecutor Bill Thompson said he had no objection to waiting until June or even July for the preliminary hearing.

If the magistrate judge agrees that there is evidence to justify the charges, the case will be “bound over” into Idaho's 2nd District Court, and a district judge will take over. Then Kohberger will have a chance to enter a plea. If he pleads not guilty, the case will begin working toward a trial. If he pleads guilty, a sentencing hearing will be set.

Thompson has 60 days from the time Kohberger enters a plea to say if he will seek the death penalty.

Man charged in Idaho stabbings waives right to speedy trial, hearing set for June

I just watched today's hearing again and noticed there was absolutely no interaction between BK and his attorney. Neither one even looked at the other the entire hearing. Not even at the beginning or the end of it. IMO Taylor appeared strained and looked ill at ease. Just an observation fwiw
Exactly!
I noticed it too.

OMG this job looks like a tough way to make a living :rolleyes:

Complete speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's been in a trace ruminating, mindlessly picking at some imperfections in his skin, until they started to bleed. I think there can be a type of subconscious troubleshooting loop going on over and over in a ruminating mind, obsessing on flaws or mistakes, and the body just follows along with the mind, trying to bite tiny jagged edges of the fingernails off or trying to scrape off a little bump on the cheek or whatever. Rumination about being perfect which of course leads to an even worse condition. My pure speculation of course.

I even wondered if maybe he tried to strangle himself.

There's definitely an angled bruise on his throat right under his scratches. (Thanks to the person who did that big enlargement of the photo @sds71 posted it upthread, from someone's twitter news account).

And you can bet he's ruminating and getting more and more nervous. While he told the Judge he has no illnesses, mental or otherwise, I do wonder if he had been taking some sort of medication (perhaps anti-anxiety) before he was arrested. Time will tell.

Possible but I think they are really going to go after them about the time gap before the 911 call and also that they called friends first. Not sure how the jury will react.
I think when the jury learns that both calls (to 911 and to the friends) were made at *almost* the same time and who the "friends" were and why their help was needed - especially when they HEAR the 911 call, the jury will understand.

And be appalled at the nature of this crime and how young the surviving victims actually are.

Tried to quote. In answer to the question as to whether our family is still being stalked. It has been a few years but I gave up speaking and we moved. When I resume speaking, I will have to see. I am now better prepared and my children are not young any more. My guard is never down. Being hunted changes your entire perspective. My now adult children are also very aware of their surroundings having experienced this so young. Thanks for asking.

ETA - I will say that this experience has led my entire family to stand for abuse victims. My adult children have served as child advocates. I protect foster care children and my special needs daughters shares locally about the effects of abuse. There is some healing in getting your voice back after being stalked.
Thank you very much for sharing your story.

I should be immune to shock at stupidity by now, but not realizing that your Hyundai Elantra without a front plate would be a clue is just gobsmacking stupidity.
I hear you. Of course, we keep hearing he's book smart but lacks common sense. It seems like his studies were focused more on criminal behavior rather than evidence, investigation or forensics. Maybe he just selected the wrong major to prepare him for a life of crime. :)

The indigent Lori Vallow has been assigned a death penalty qualified attorney.

Idaho maintains a list of such attorneys. That being the case, I doubt the PD staff would continue to defend BK once the DA decided to pursue the death penalty. The risk of an ethical challenge based on competency would be too great. The prosecution might even weigh in favoring appointment of a listed attorney if necessary, not wanting to risk a valid appeal based on ineffective assistance of counsel.

And there's Ms. Taylor's name, right on the most recent version of the roster. So no need for him to change counsel.

It's against Idaho law, AFAIK, to use anyone other than an attorney on that roster - and for a DP case (if the DA asks for it in June), they will need *two." Right now, wisely, the State has assigned one of these essential attorneys, just in case.

No legal missteps here.

I hear you. Of course, we keep hearing he's book smart but lacks common sense. It seems like his studies were focused more on criminal behavior rather than evidence, investigation or forensics. Maybe he just selected the wrong major to prepare him for a life of crime. :)
He can't even shave without cutting himself or drive a car without being stopped by police,lol.

DeSales University ranks 73 in Best Regional National Universities North.
Many solid private regional universities provide a high quality undergraduate degree and targeted graduate degrees at both the Master and Doctoral levels.
Also if your university is ranked, even at 285, that is significant, because many universities, both public and private, are not ranked, they don't get into the rankings.

In addition, many students attend a university at the graduate level because of the quality and reputation of specific programs. The online Master's degree in Criminology is highly ranked, so a student graduating from that program would have both his/her faculty recommendations to go on, as well as the quality of the program, overall, when applying to doctoral programs around the country.

Who exactly is doing the ranking here? There are paid ranking systems and unpaid ones (like news organizations).

Do you have a link for this? How many total universities in the "Rational National North" division (and how many are in the overall group - a few hundred, I would think; how do they rank on the total list?)

Ranked by whom is my main question.

There is also practical issue beyond a specific individual. Do we want people who are troubled, be it by minor depression, moderate issues or even very serous issues, not talking to mental health care professionals for fear of it being used against them or result in diminishment of rights?
I completely agree with you. So many issues could arise if this was the norm tbh. IMO
To add- Even employees at restaurants are strictly told to never speak to media about anything that happens on premises. And that's just food and drinks! I cannot see how this is professional or acceptable, even if it doesn't break any laws. MOO, JMO

MOO but I think that was because they were unsure whether BK saw D and didn't want to reveal that she potentially was a witness
Of course it was...but lying about BCK "acting alone" could certainly be protecting the investigation as well.
My point is (IMO) don't take anything that is said at any press conference or by any spokesman or for that matter anyone else about this case for gospel, including LE

Thanks! My experience with HIPAA is through work in the healthcare industry but not within academic environments.

Now that I reread the article, it's NOT clear whether this was a private practice or the student health center. Because it says "Most students didn't keep appointments," I thought it was campus-based. But actually, the receptionist asks that her "business not be identified." Sheesh. She's giving out information about whether patients show up for appointments?

At any rate, it occurred to me that perhaps he did need medical attention for something - perhaps a cut not visible to the receptionist. Obviously, he was in his charm-bombing phase and she remembered him distinctly.

Question for our lawyers: can a doctor be compelled by the court to give up medical records in a criminal case like this one?

I even wondered if maybe he tried to strangle himself.

There's definitely an angled bruise on his throat right under his scratches. (Thanks to the person who did that big enlargement of the photo @sds71 posted it upthread, from someone's twitter news account).

And you can bet he's ruminating and getting more and more nervous. While he told the Judge he has no illnesses, mental or otherwise, I do wonder if he had been taking some sort of medication (perhaps anti-anxiety) before he was arrested. Time will tell.

I think when the jury learns that both calls (to 911 and to the friends) were made at *almost* the same time and who the "friends" were and why their help was needed - especially when they HEAR the 911 call, the jury will understand.

And be appalled at the nature of this crime and how young the surviving victims actually are.

To me the scratches looked to be from one of those cheap razors they give you in jail but that's just a guess. I did notice his cheek twitch one time. It happened several times in previous hearings. I've seen this happen with a few other men in the past and they were either nervous or angry. IMO I think BK is nervous and scared.

Oh, you're right. They can still waive it. I totally forgot that.

I really feel for that defense attorney. While it is certainly going to be one of the most memorable cases of her career, it's also got to be very stressful.

I have to say that lawyers as a group are some of the most amazing stress-handlers I've ever seen in action.

Can you cite any LE source that says they used GEDMatch?

The term "genetic genealogy" includes merely doing a paternity test or digging up a body to get a DNA match to a living person. It does not exclusively mean "Use a DNA database."

I see no evidence that LE didn't do as you suggested - but they focused on ONE Elantra order first - and got a match!

It's possible, I suppose, that some other local Elantra owners were asked to give DNA and did so - they won't be mentioned publicly and were cleared. So this could have happened (likely did) and we just don't and won't know about it.

Familial DNA is a very broad field with many techniques, not just databases and here, there was no need for GEDMatch.

However, as I've asked a couple of times, if anyone can produce an LE-based statement that this investigation used GEDMatch, I'd be grateful as I would put that in my notes for this case. AFAIK, it's only been reported by Nancy Grace, with no source, and with her saying "They probably are going to use something like GEDMatch if they have DNA."

They did not need to. They used a shorter method, as any forensic geneticist would advise.
I am going to respectfully note we have not seen anything saying they did not use public and shadow dna databases combined with other ancestry databases we know the FBI is able to use. The Slate article, by an expert in the field reporter postulated, they likely did. The slate article also touches on why they would not publicize it (and they are not required to until discovery) as this is a sensitive privacy issue with the public and because Parallel Construction investigative technique they used involves using certain investigative techniques to develop and catch a suspect, and different evidence to prosecute the suspect with.
So they had:
A. reason to use ancestry databases: very narrow suspect set more than a month before they had Penn. samples
B. reason not to publicize it: known public sensitivity
C. and we would not know: no need to disclose until discovery. Probably 90% of evidence is not in that probable cause document

So affidavit would not be expected to have use gedmatch since the garbage sample is better, but the affidavit was drafted AFTER they got that DNA.

I think what they did on dna is:
First, use ancestry and gedmatch combined with other databases to get initial very narrow set of suspects
Second, use the more narrow garbage sample collected a month or more later to use best data for PC
Third, cheek swabbed him immediately on arrival in Idaho based on a warrant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member