Still Missing CA - Maya Millete, 39, missed daughter's birthday, Chula Vista, 7 Jan 2021 *husband arrested* #5

Has anyone ever seen a case with such weak evidence for a murder case? The defense is going to have fun with this one, I feel ol' Larry has plenty of money to fight this case and win.

Has anyone ever seen a case with such weak evidence for a murder case? The defense is going to have fun with this one, I feel ol' Larry has plenty of money to fight this case and win.
Nope. And seems we've disagreed before on the definition of "weak evidence" -- all being in cases of no corpse that won convictions at trial. MOO

From the video link above, the prosecutor hopes to call the last witness on Friday but based on the defense cross, the redirect by the prosecution may not be completed until Monday.

An 8-day PRELIM is unusual -- not too many trials exceed 8 days of testimony!
The cross seems to go on and on…

Nope. And seems we've disagreed before on the definition of "weak evidence" -- all being in cases of no corpse that won convictions at trial. MOO
Just Donthe Lucas case, you make is sound like there were numerous of them. still think that case was weak, if he kept his mouth shut in prison i dont think we would have been convicted, if he had money like Barry Morphew or Larry Millette instead of a public defender zi think he wouod have gotten off anyway.

Sorry @Seattle1 for butting in on your post of the hearing - but I needed a reference post # for my stuff... :) So finishing up the last of the hearing on 1/19/23.

4:30 p.m.: Court concludes for the day. Kristeen Timmers, Maya's co-worker and good friend of 10 years, was dismissed from the witness stand. The judge started going over how proceedings will go on Friday, since the defense has some scheduling conflicts.

Court will open at 9 a.m., and the defense will call into their 9 a.m. status hearing for another case, rather than attending it in person. Bonita Martinez's office is trying to move her 1:30 p.m. hearing as well, and the judge will try to coordinate with the other judge to move it.

The deputy district attorney says she plans to call five more witnesses, including those in law enforcement.

4:25 p.m.: The defense shows Timmers a document to refresh her memory.

Martinez said that Maya was texting her friends, and she made a statement saying "Sometime soon... I need to get away somewhere without my kids and Larry..."

Timmers confirmed that Maya made that statement. The defense finished asking questions.

On redirect, the prosecution asked follow up questions expanding on that text exchange.

The end of the text message read "LOL... Wish I could just go somewhere and be alone for a couple of days."

"...What is LOL?" the prosecution asked.

"Laughing out loud — she's joking," Timmers replied.

The prosecution went on to ask if as a mom, Timmers would joke with her other friends, who are also moms, about getting away from the kids. She said yes.

The prosecution also pointed out another text message, in which Maya said she found her law firm, and she expects her intake appointment to be the Tuesday after the Big Bear trip.

The witness was dismissed after redirect, since the defense did not have more questions for recross-examination.

link: LIVE BLOG DAY 6: Maya Millete feared Larry would hurt kids, friend says on stand

Friday, January 20th:
*Preliminary Hearing continues (Day 7) (@ 9am PT) - CA - *May “Maya” Millete (39) (last seen @ home on Jan. 7, 2021, near San Miguel Ranch area, Chula Vista & reported missing Jan. 9, 2021 by her sister; not found). *Larry Ibarreta Millete (40/now 41) charged (10/18/21), arrested (10/19/21) & arraigned (10/21/21) with murder. Plead not guilty. Held without bond. Denied bail (11/4/21). Found mentally competent to stand trial (9/26/22).
Case & court info from 1/7/21 thru 1/18/23 reference post #431 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-7-jan-2021-husband-arrested-5.600342/page-22

1/18/23 Update Day 5: Forgot to post this State witness: Jaypie Tabalanza, Maya's brother.
1/19/23 Update: Day 6: State witnesses: Jaypie Tabalanza continues on stand on direct. Brian Mansfield, a supervisor with the Naval Information Warfare Center Pacific (NIWC). Mansfield said he met Maya in 2020 when he interviewed her for a job. She was hired & began work at NIWC in June 2020. San Diego County DA's Office investigator Justin Bostic. He previously worked in the South Bay Courthouse as a pre-trial investigator. Kristeen Timmers, Maya's co-worker & good friend of 10 years.
for more info see posts #447, 448, 453 & 457 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-7-jan-2021-husband-arrested-5.600342/page-23
for more info see post #465 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-7-jan-2021-husband-arrested-5.600342/page-24
The prosecutor hopes to call the last witness on Friday but based on the defense cross, the redirect by the prosecution may not be completed until Monday. The judge started going over how proceedings will go on Friday, since the defense has some scheduling conflicts. Court will open at 9am & the defense will call into their 9am status hearing for another case, rather than attending it in person. Bonita Martinez's office is trying to move her 1:30pm hearing as well & the judge will try to coordinate with the other judge to move it. The deputy district attorney says she plans to call five more witnesses, including those in law enforcement. Preliminary hearing continues on 1/20/23.

LIVE BLOG: Thursday, Jan 19 (Day 6)--PM continued.
4:30 p.m.: Court concludes for the day. Kristeen Timmers, Maya's co-worker and good friend of 10 years, was dismissed from the witness stand. The judge started going over how proceedings will go on Friday, since the defense has some scheduling conflicts.

Court will open at 9 a.m., and the defense will call into their 9 a.m. status hearing for another case, rather than attending it in person. Bonita Martinez's office is trying to move her 1:30 p.m. hearing as well, and the judge will try to coordinate with the other judge to move it.

The deputy district attorney says she plans to call five more witnesses, including those in law enforcement.

4:25 p.m.: The defense shows Timmers a document to refresh her memory.

Martinez said that Maya was texting her friends, and she made a statement saying "Sometime soon... I need to get away somewhere without my kids and Larry..."

Timmers confirmed that Maya made that statement. The defense finished asking questions.

On redirect, the prosecution asked follow up questions expanding on that text exchange.

The end of the text message read "LOL... Wish I could just go somewhere and be alone for a couple of days."

"...What is LOL?" the prosecution asked.

"Laughing out loud — she's joking," Timmers replied.

The prosecution went on to ask if as a mom, Timmers would joke with her other friends, who are also moms, about getting away from the kids. She said yes.

The prosecution also pointed out another text message, in which Maya said she found her law firm, and she expects her intake appointment to be the Tuesday after the Big Bear trip.

The witness was dismissed after redirect, since the defense did not have more questions for recross-examination.

4:15 p.m.: The defense asks Timmers if there was any time during Dec. 2020 or Jan. 2021 that Maya said she just wanted to run away.

"No, I don't remember," she replied.

Martinez then asked if it was true in Dec. 2020 that Maya was not having a good relationship with her in laws.

"I don't know," Timmers said on the stand.

4:11 p.m.: Timmers testified that Maya told her she needed to get through the weekend of Jan. 8 through Jan. 10, 2021. She said Maya wanted a happy birthday weekend for her children during the Big Bear trip, and Maya's divorce appointment was scheduled for the Tuesday after the trip.

When Martinez asked Timmers if she knew why Maya was angry at Larry on May 7, 2020, the judge again reminded the defense to stay on relevant topics.

"Every little thing that occurred in March and May is not relevant to these proceedings," the judge said.

4:03 p.m.: Timmers testified that earlier in the marriage, Larry was a typical husband who had a sense of humor. When asked, she confirmed that Larry made jokes about how Maya was his "sugar mama."

The defense asked Timmers about the statements she made to police on Jan. 19, 2021. Timmers confirmed she didn't notice any major negative interactions between Larry and Maya.

Timmers went on to say that Maya told her that the subliminal messages Larry sent her angered Maya, but she believed they did not damage Maya emotionally or psychologically.

"No, she was just angry about it," Timmers testified.

The defense asked if Maya was scared of Larry.

"She was just scared of him hurting the children... That was toward the end of the year," Timmers testified.

"Did she explain what she meant by that?" defense attorney Bonita Martinez asked.

"No, she stated it simply," Timmers replied.

3:55 p.m.: Throughout the beginning of cross examination, the judge interrupted the defense attorney several times, saying the line of questioning was not relevant or that the witness had already gone over the details at length during direct examination.

3:46 p.m.: The defense begins its cross examination of Kristeen Timmers, Maya's co-worker and good friend of 10 years.

Defense attorney Bonita Martinez asked Timmers about when she first noticed problems with Maya and Larry's marriage. She said early 2020, but when Martinez asked about Larry's overbearing behavior, she testified that he'd always been like that.

Martinez asked if Maya and the group of friends would go to brunch and drink regularly. Timmers said they would do it occasionally, but when Martinez asked more questions about alcohol, she said Maya was not much of a drinker.

3:32 p.m.: Timmers testified that Maya talked about future plans in 2021, including plans to coordinate events for all of their boys' birthdays. Maya also spoke about a Hawaii trip, and Timmers testified she and the other girls made a side text chain to discuss that potential trip.

They discussed it, saying they would go to Hawaii if it were a girls' trip, but if it were a family trip, they wouldn't go. Their reasoning was that Maya would be miserable if Larry was there too.

"If Larry came along and it was a family trip, we just didn't want to be part of that," Timmers testified.

Timmers said she communicated with Maya everyday before Jan. 7, 2021. She also said she has not seen or heard from Maya since Jan. 7, 2021.

The prosecution finished asking this witness questions.

3:27 p.m.: The prosecution asked Timmers about another text thread, this time from Jan. 8, 2021. Timmers sent a message to Maya, saying she needs to check her door for packages since she sent a gift to her home via Amazon.

Maya did not respond to the text about the packages.

The prosecution also asked about a Facebook group chat, in which Maya sent messages to the group on Jan. 7, 2021. The group chat was comprised of Maya's work friends.

In that group chat, Maya shared that Larry wanted 100% custody of the kids. Timmers testified that Maya would never agree to that. Maya also texted about the division of assets.

Timmers testified that she told Maya to give him whatever he wants, expect for the kids and family. She explained that she told Maya that because that was important to her.

3:15 p.m.: Timmers testified that the brunch on Dec. 27, 2020, was the last time she saw Maya. During that brunch, Maya told them about the upcoming Glamis trip. Timmers said she and Maya were still communicating daily, mostly through a Messenger group.

Timmers testified she remembered messaging Maya on Jan. 6, 2021. Timmers sifted through a binder containing lengthy text messages between her and Maya from that day before the prosecution asked her more questions.

Timmers said Maya was telling her that Larry was threatening to open an investigation that was previously unfounded. Maya also sent a text saying she was no longer interested in trying to make it work.

Maya said the couple was in a dark place, and she sent screenshots of text conversations between her and Larry to Timmers, Timmers said on the stand.

The text messages also showed that Maya said she still couldn't get the safe open, and she shared more worries about her finances.

"You'll see the light soon enough, the decision to divorce is the hardest part," Timmers' text to Maya said.

"I really hope so," Maya replied in the thread.

"Yes, there will be better days ahead," Timmers replied.

Timmers said that was the last iMessage she sent Maya that day.

3:06 p.m.: Timmers testifies that she and Maya went to brunch with another friend, Ally, on Dec. 27, 2020. She said they talked about the status of Maya's relationship with Larry, and Maya told them she was moving more and more towards divorce.

Maya said she needed to find money, since Larry was controlling the finances. Timmers testified that Maya's salary was over six figures, and Maya had always made more money than Larry since she had known the couple.

Timmers testified that she and Ally told Maya not to worry about money, and that they would have her back. Maya had also mentioned to them her sisters were starting to financially support her. At this point, Maya said she was starting to put cash away whenever she could.

Timmers said she communicated with Maya everyday before Jan. 7, 2021. She also said she has not seen or heard from Maya since Jan. 7, 2021.

3:27 p.m.: The prosecution asked Timmers about another text thread, this time from Jan. 8, 2021. Timmers sent a message to Maya, saying she needs to check her door for packages since she sent a gift to her home via Amazon.

The prosecution also asked about a Facebook group chat, in which Maya sent messages to the group on Jan. 7, 2021. The group chat was comprised of Maya's work friends.

In that group chat, Maya shared that Larry wanted 100% custody of the kids. Timmers testified that Maya would never agree to that. Maya also texted about the division of assets.

Timmers testified that she told Maya to give him whatever he wants, expect for the kids and family. She explained that she told Maya that because that was important to her.

3:15 p.m.: Timmers testified that the brunch on Dec. 27, 2020, was the last time she saw Maya. During that brunch, Maya told them about the upcoming Glamis trip. Timmers said she and Maya were still communicating daily, mostly through a Messenger group.

^^ Appending to post to add late blog entries after the video of the hearing ended. (Thank you, @Niner).

The news video makes it plain that the Judge was having a hard time dealing with Larry's Defense Attorney today. It was very noticeable, but the Judge is very professional and patient.

Of note-- Larry lied to Jaypie about where he went on Jan. 8th, that Friday, when he was gone for ten hours with his son. Changing your story is, in other words, lying.
"He said, 'If anyone would take $20,000 and then I'll give you $4000 for all your troubles' that's what he was telling me. I told him 'I don't want to get involved,"" said Jaypie Tabalanza.
Larry wanting to hire a hitman and pay $20,000 and $4,000 Finder's Fee is proof that Larry was the one with murder on his mind. Thanks to his lawyer for going over the details so thoroughly. (MOO, she tried to make Jaypie look guilty of something, as she does trying to place emotional guilt on everyone she questions, but the Judge did his best to keep the attorney in line, and stopped her several times.)
"Timmers testified that in August 2020, May told her she had found a cellphone hidden in her car, which she said had been planted there by her husband."
In the final month before her disappearance, May also told Timmers that she found a cellphone beneath her bed that was "playing subliminal messages."
Larry's sneaky stalking tactics and his desperation was escalating. I'm sure it was a real turn off for Maya. MOO, not to mention having to live with his parents and their judgments. I wonder how much was a big financial concern and not because he loved his wife so much.

All MOO here-- Larry claims he loved Maya, but IMO he was jealous of her. In the end, it sure didn't sound like love. Wanting to cast spells to hurt and maim her, poison her with plants, ruin her reputation and the respect of her family, make her lose the job she loved... it's not a hard to imagine he killed her the minute he found out she really was going to divorce him.

MOO, very few people think he's innocent after finding out all this "circumstantial" evidence. You don't always need a body to get a conviction. Circumstantial evidence like this carries weight. It matters. But keep praying that Maya is found soon to make it even easier to convict him.

LM honestly thinks his defense is helping him? Maybe his ego is so inflated he cannot admit he picked a moldy melon. She’s so out of her league, it’s pathetic.

Prosecutors have uncovered a ton of evidence to support LM’s M.O. TBH, the financial aspect had me surprised. Maya seems like such a strong woman, but he controlled finances? LM changed the codes to the safe? That’s premeditated action for some sort of crime if you ask me IMO

LM honestly thinks his defense is helping him? Maybe his ego is so inflated he cannot admit he picked a moldy melon. She’s so out of her league, it’s pathetic.

Prosecutors have uncovered a ton of evidence to support LM’s M.O. TBH, the financial aspect had me surprised. Maya seems like such a strong woman, but he controlled finances? LM changed the codes to the safe? That’s premeditated action for some sort of crime if you ask me IMO

I believe that Maya was a strong woman-- but also a woman that was trapped in two worlds: the old world of her native culture and the western world where women are considered equal partners.

The couple met in high school and were together ever since. She didn't know any other relationship but Larry. And like so many that marry young with limited life experience, they attempt to do better as they know better. For Maya, trying to do better cost Maya her life. Larry believed nobody knows better than Larry. And Maya wasn't Larry's wife, she was his property. MOO

The defense asking witness Ms. Timmers if she was aware that Maya didn't drive her own children to school daily and the paternal grandparents had to do this was halted by the Judge!

Unbelievable! :eek:

How many parents start work at hours preventing them to deliver their children to school unless they intend to leave them at the school door in the dark?
Why didn't Larry do it, then? Is he only the father when he wants to use the children to hurt May and her family? They are digusting and pathetic, all of them. Those poor kids.

I was shocked when Bonita asked Timmers if Maya was (paraphrasing) hurt in any way by the subliminal messages, as if to imply no harm no foul. Ugh. That woman!

Also, I was very saddened to hear Maya talk about the law firm she had chosen and it was important to her that they treat Larry with (paraphrasing) dignity and respect. Heartbreaking.

Particularly painful to learn that, when May asked for a separation, he dismissed her, said basically that she wasn't in her right mind. So controlling. Crazy-making.

The Prosecution IMO is doing a stellar job of laying out the systemic abuse LM was doling out. Controlling the finances, controlling May's access to communication with the outside world (accessing all her social media, tracking her), controlling her emotionally (threatening suicide, using the children), physical violence (punching through walls to gain access to her), threatening her job and reputation.

IMO all the elements to prove HDV are there. He'll rightly be bound over for trial and eventually be convicted on all charges. LWOP+.

JMO

Have you even been watching? The defense is not having fun, and this is definitely going to trial.
Moo

Have you even been watching? The defense is not having fun, and this is definitely going to trial.
Moo
I find the defense’s approach both annoying and despicable. As the sister-in-law stated on the stand, she felt she was being tormented by the defense. More like terrorized in my opinion…

Last edited:
I find the defense’s approach both annoying and despicable. As the sister-in-law stated on the stand, she felt she was being tormented by the defense. More like terrorized in my opinion…

I've been watching the hearing and am shocked at the performance of LM's defense attorney. How is this attorney allowed to practice in a court of law? Most of her questions have been disqualified by objections. The judge repeatedly has to explain court procedure and court law to her.

When LM looses at trial, he can blame it on incompetent defense.
my opinion.

I've been watching the hearing and am shocked at the performance of LM's defense attorney. How is this attorney allowed to practice in a court of law? Most of her questions have been disqualified by objections. The judge repeatedly has to explain court procedure and court law to her.

When LM looses at trial, he can blame it on incompetent defense.
my opinion.
Ugh you’re right, and I feel a judge might agree.

LIVE BLOG: Larry Millete preliminary hearing, Day 7 - AM.

NOTE: Judge may order the camera to turn off during certain parts of the hearing (e.g. sidebar). Refresh this story for live updates from the courtroom detailed below.

10:55 a.m.: Judge calls for 15-minute recess.

10:47 a.m.: Additional surveillance camera footage showing Maya and her children around the family's Jeep is played on a screen. Vicente confirms activity happens around 3 p.m. on Jan. 7, 2021.

10:33 a.m.: Vicente said investigators obtained footage captured by a nearby home’s Ring system, activated when there’s motion near the residence. The footage is from Jan. 7, 2021, at approximately 3 p.m.

The footage shows Maya with her three children removing items from the family’s Jeep. Activity lasts until about 3:20 p.m. and then the video recording stops, according to Vicente.

10:26 a.m.: Three cameras situated at a home on Paseo Los Gatos, near the Millete house, captured a black Lexus leaving Jan. 8, 2021, 6:53 a.m. Vicente noted the timestamp is eight minutes ahead of real-time.

10:13 a.m.: As surveillance footage plays on a screen in the courtroom, Vicente said someone is seen entering the Milletes’ black Lexus and leaving the neighborhood at around 6:45 a.m. on Jan. 8, 2021.

The footage is fast forwarded to 6 p.m. with the Lexus returning to the Millete home. Vicente noted the Lexus did not return to the home during the day.

9:50 a.m.: Vicente said that on Jan. 8, 2021, just before 6 a.m., he said footage captured a person walking out of the Millete home on Paseo Los Gatos to reposition a black Lexus in front of the house. The Lexus pulls into the street and then reparks closer to the house.

Vicente noted that the Lexus left the home at around 6:45 a.m. and then returned to the house on Paseo Los Gatos at approximately 6 p.m.

9:40 a.m.: Vicente said he and his team obtained surveillance footage from a nearby home. The house faces the Millete home, and Vicente noted that the Nest camera continuously records and stores video on the cloud.

Vicente said his team downloaded footage from 3:59 p.m. on Jan. 7, 2021; the footage was an hour, and Vicente said downloads were in one-hour increments.

Vicente said there was footage missing from 12:27 a.m.-12:34 a.m. on Jan. 8, 2021. He said the homeowner believes a Wi-Fi outage may have caused the gap in the recording.

9:32 a.m.: Vicente said on Jan. 13, 2021, he spoke to Larry Millete. Larry gave consent to a download of his cell phone, Vicente told the prosecutor. Vicente added that the phone was taken to the CVPD digital evidence unit.

Vicente said he and his fellow investigators questioned witnesses and sought any surveillance video footage.

9:25 a.m.: Preliminary hearing begins with Jesse Vicente, a detective for the Chula Vista Police Department’s Crimes of Violence Unit, taking the stand.

Vicente told prosecutor Christy Bowles he was asked by another officer on Jan. 11 to look into a case from the weekend regarding the disappearance of Maya Millete. Vicente said Officer Culver felt the case was suspicious.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan
Back