4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 73

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you refresh my memory? Was it used in a formal document? I thought it was just a quote from an anonymous source, used in a news report. I must have missed something. :)
You're correct, it was in a People Magazine article supposedly quoting an unnamed source who was speculatively LE. So we can't tie it down to a specific person.

But it sparked a discussion in this thread about that phrasing and whether it was too slang-y for LE to use, even "an unnamed source". I had never heard the phrase before, so when I came across another instance of it, I thought it worth mentioning.

Probably more an example of me being out of date rather than anything case-related :cool:

You're correct, it was in a People Magazine article supposedly quoting an unnamed source who was speculatively LE. So we can't tie it down to a specific person.

But it sparked a discussion in this thread about that phrasing and whether it was too slang-y for LE to use, even "an unnamed source". I had never heard the phrase before, so when I came across another instance of it, I thought it worth mentioning.

Probably more an example of me being out of date rather than anything case-related :cool:
I know what you mean. I've read the phrase but never heard anyone actually use it in conversation. Maybe there is a generation that does, but I'm definitely not in it! :D Maybe it's the 20-somethings. My kids are all past that and none of the grandkids have gotten there yet. LOL

I know what you mean. I've read the phrase but never heard anyone actually use it in conversation. Maybe there is a generation that does, but I'm definitely not in it! :D Maybe it's the 20-somethings. My kids are all past that and none of the grandkids have gotten there yet. LOL

I found examples of it from the 1990's, in a novel by Don DeLillo, but of course, not referencing social media. "He slid into her life." Now, of course I'm seeing and hearing students use it - but somehow it had never registered with me.

It's definitely now in dictionaries of slang, specifically, "to slide into someone's Dm's."

I think it's teens and twenty-somethings, mostly. Since I don't believe they've all read DeLillo, I assume it's newly minted slang.

The account mentioned by People magazine had posted to KG's Insta, IIRC, before the murders. However, we'd need Instagram to confirm that it wasn't some other person who then changed their name after the murders. I believe it's possible to change one's handle at any time on Instagram, and it changes across all messages (Twitter is like that too). OTOH, it could have been BK. By now, I assume the DA/LE have the IP addresses of all such messages.

IMO.

I think it's influencer culture. One of my colleagues is an Insta star who uses that phrase regularly. The rest of us (mid to late 30s) seem to have picked it up too. It didn't stand out to me; sounded like just everyday talk, though I'm not positive when it became "everyday talk" for me. Whoever the source is is definitely involved in social media, IMO. Likely beyond just a casual user.

Another article citing a "unnamed source". It would appear be an LE source because I'm not sure who else could know this. Thoughts?

The man accused of killing four University of Idaho students last November allegedly had pictures of one of the female victims on his phone, a source familiar with the investigation tells PEOPLE.

A phone that belonged to Bryan Kohberger was collected after his arrest. According to the source, authorities found pictures of the victim on the device. The source did not specify whether they were photos that he had taken of her or if they were downloaded from her social media.

Another article citing a "unnamed source". It would appear be an LE source because I'm not sure who else could know this. Thoughts?

The man accused of killing four University of Idaho students last November allegedly had pictures of one of the female victims on his phone, a source familiar with the investigation tells PEOPLE.

A phone that belonged to Bryan Kohberger was collected after his arrest. According to the source, authorities found pictures of the victim on the device. The source did not specify whether they were photos that he had taken of her or if they were downloaded from her social media.
My guess would be the photos are of KG who was not just stabbed but butchered. My guess as to the source is SG, who has previously hinted LE told him there was a prior connection... all speculation of course.

That is some big information. Evidence of stalking, if they were saved before the murders. After the murders, not so much. LE would have a field day with the number of pictures of those students I have on my own phone. :rolleyes:

I figure that the Goncalves family had some of this information before the gag order. He has probably shared that information with lots of people, before the gag order. I don't know about you guys, but I would sure hope that LE would share with me, if they found out the killer had a picture of my murdered daughter on his phone. It seems to be the kind of thing that would make family and friends rethink what they knew and look more closely at where KG had been and how this connection occurred. I am assuming, until we find out otherwise, that these are possible Instagram pictures. A person googling "Pretty girls at University of Idaho" would have found at least two of the women living at 1122 King Rd with that search (with good pictures of the exterior of the house - but I don't see any that have the address).

It would be great if they can find out how he established this connection. I wonder if some of his car trips to Moscow were on weekends, coinciding with parties.

JMO. Speculation.

I figure that the Goncalves family had some of this information before the gag order. He has probably shared that information with lots of people, before the gag order. I don't know about you guys, but I would sure hope that LE would share with me, if they found out the killer had a picture of my murdered daughter on his phone. It seems to be the kind of thing that would make family and friends rethink what they knew and look more closely at where KG had been and how this connection occurred. I am assuming, until we find out otherwise, that these are possible Instagram pictures. A person googling "Pretty girls at University of Idaho" would have found at least two of the women living at 1122 King Rd with that search (with good pictures of the exterior of the house - but I don't see any that have the address).

It would be great if they can find out how he established this connection. I wonder if some of his car trips to Moscow were on weekends, coinciding with parties.

JMO. Speculation.
Ok. Show of hands…
Who else read this and immediately googled “pretty girls at university of Idaho”?

Wow, I think the Idaho Statesman article is a lot more interesting than the People one! It answers a lot of background questions we've had about Bryan.

1) Worked at New York Pizza Girl in 2013-14. The owner of the building where the pizzeria was that Bryan worked at with a fellow heroin user, also owned a fish hatcher where people would come fish and then pay to have their catch cleaned. Both the owner and Bryan's job application for the school district confirm he worked there in the summer of 2011.

Bryan "didn’t show himself to be very personable with customers and also wasn’t improving at filleting the fish. He let him go. 'You’ve got to do a good job on your cuts, you have to be friendly to people, at least try to make some eye contact,' Conklin said. 'It just wasn’t his thing.' ”

2) His intense focus on losing weight led to a eating disorder that required hospitalization (not clear if that was just a hospital stay or a longer term eating disorder residential treatment as well) during high school.

3) Guidance counselor said his parents were very involved in meetings to help guide his education and plan his future schooling.

4) High school--sophomore year was at the technical program for law enforcement, switched junior year to HVAC program. Senior yr, transferred out of tech program and did the school's online program to earn his diploma (which he told friends he completed early). Tech school admin in charge of student discipline says she did have to work with Bryan, can't say specific details of why. She said different programs had lots of requirements (esp law enforcement), and even if a student had good grades they could be dropped from the program for behavior. He graduated high school between Jan-Mar of 2013.

5) High school was the start of him using marijuana which changed to heroin abuse. Bryan started college in August of 2013, but by Jan 2014 he told a friend he had had to drop out of college to go to rehab. It is not clear if he also had to go to rehab in high school.

6) According to what Bryan told friends in 2018, he had stopped using drugs in 2016.

7) In 2016 he started work with the school district as a fill-in custodian and courier before moving into security part time (Idaho Statesman got this from official documents they requested). The school district did tell IS that they couldn't release his documents related to written complaints or discipline. He resigned in June 2021.

At this point I don't want to hear any more comments on how come his parents didn't try to get him help--here we have evidence of hospital stays, school involvement, rehab programs, etc in addition to what is in the Tapatalk posts.

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article272531864.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
Wow, I think the Idaho Statesman article is a lot more interesting than the People one! It answers a lot of background questions we've had about Bryan.

1) Worked at New York Pizza Girl in 2013-14. The owner of the building where the pizzeria was that Bryan worked at with a fellow heroin user, also owned a fish hatcher where people would come fish and then pay to have their catch cleaned. Both the owner and Bryan's job application for the school district confirm he worked there in the summer of 2011.

Bryan "didn’t show himself to be very personable with customers and also wasn’t improving at filleting the fish. He let him go. 'You’ve got to do a good job on your cuts, you have to be friendly to people, at least try to make some eye contact,' Conklin said. 'It just wasn’t his thing.' ”

2) His intense focus on losing weight led to a eating disorder that required hospitalization (not clear if that was just a hospital stay or a longer term eating disorder residential treatment as well) during high school.

3) Guidance counselor said his parents were very involved in meetings to help guide his education and plan his future schooling.

4) High school--sophomore year was at the technical program for law enforcement, switched junior year to HVAC program. Senior yr, transferred out of tech program and did the school's online program to earn his diploma (which he told friends he completed early). Tech school admin in charge of student discipline says she did have to work with Bryan, can't say specific details of why. She said different programs had lots of requirements (esp law enforcement), and even if a student had good grades they could be dropped from the program for behavior. He graduated high school between Jan-Mar of 2013.

5) High school was the start of him using marijuana which changed to heroin abuse. Bryan started college in August of 2013, but by Jan 2014 he told a friend he had had to drop out of college to go to rehab. It is not clear if he also had to go to rehab in high school.

6) According to what Bryan told friends in 2018, he had stopped using drugs in 2016.

7) In 2016 he started work with the school district as a fill-in custodian and courier before moving into security part time (Idaho Statesman got this from official documents they requested). The school district did tell IS that they couldn't release his documents related to written complaints or discipline. He resigned in June 2021.

At this point I don't want to hear any more comments on how come his parents didn't try to get him help--here we have evidence of hospital stays, school involvement, rehab programs, etc in addition to what is in the Tapatalk posts.

Read more at: https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article272531864.html#storylink=cpy
RBBM
Thanks for summarizing that article.

I wonder what an even earlier look at his school record (elementary & middle school) would reveal?

I wonder how he spent 2015?

I also wonder if online school works better for him by keeping his "problematic" interpersonal behaviors hidden?

When mom & dad were no longer daily contacts, look what happened. They have invested much; what a tragedy for them.

JMO

RBBM
Thanks for summarizing that article.

I wonder what an even earlier look at his school record (elementary & middle school) would reveal?

I wonder how he spent 2015?

I also wonder if online school works better for him by keeping his "problematic" interpersonal behaviors hidden?

When mom & dad were no longer daily contacts, look what happened. They have invested much; what a tragedy for them.

JMO
It seems parents even funded his "tummy tucking" operation after he lost so much weight.
I guess it was not cheap.
Or is it funded by health insurance?

JMO

DBM and instead referring to @Cool Cats post as it seems she know better than I do on this topic. :)

ETA - perhaps the diff is a TT vs a Panni. TT's are cosmetic so I don't believe they are paid for by insurance.

A Tummy Tuck (TT) or Abdominoplasty are two entirely different things. They are like oranges & pineapples. A TT is a much more complicated surgical procedure that can include tightening of the abdomenial musculature, liposuction and countouring of the abdomen to produice an appealing abdominal appearance. A TT is considered to be Medically Unnecessary or a Cosmetic surgical procedure by insurance carriers. A Panniculectomy (Panni) is the simple removal of abdominal skin. These surgical procedures are two entirely different procedures and have two entirely different billing codes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member