AZ - Gabriel Cuen-Buitimea, allegedly shot and killed with an AK-47 by rancher George Alan Kelly, 75, Kino Springs, Jan 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I learned some interesting things about GK in this legal document. I hadn’t realized that he had purchased this property in 2002 with the intention of turning it into a resort. This passage from an appeal in 2013 of an earlier ruling regarding his contract with Kino Springs Golf and Ranch explains his background and intent. He had owned and operated an elite eco-resort in Montana during the 1980’s and 90’s and intended to do the same sort of thing with this property in AZ. The home he and his wife lived in was basically a model home, similar to five “lodge homes” that would be built and sold. The resort would offer horseback riding, hiking and astronomy. In the appeal, a new trial was granted, and I haven’t found any information on how that turned out. But obviously, the resort never happened, and the property is currently for sale. He has attempted to sell the property since at least 2018 at fluctuating prices, as high as $2,700,000. The current asking price is $1,750,000.

I can only imagine how frustrating it has been never to have achieved his goal of building this resort and gaining a substantial income from it. Here he is, stuck living in a desolate area at his age, “overrun” with illegal immigrants, “land rich and cash poor” as he put it. Does he blame them for his inability to sell the property? Who knows? But it certainly seems possible IMO. The book he wrote would indicate that it did. But FWIW this is all just conjecture until or if there is a trial. JMO I still think that there was no justification for shooting anyone in the back, but I think his mindset will be a big factor in whether he is acquitted. There is obviously a lot of sympathy for him in those parts.

Link to real estate listing…

¶3 After establishing and running an "eco resort" in Montana for over a decade, the Kellys moved to Arizona in search of other development opportunities. In 2002, they acquired nearly 170 acres of land in Santa Cruz County through a land swap agreement with Kino, which was an adjacent landowner. The agreement required Kino "to reasonably cooperate with" the Kellys "in obtaining any appropriate zoning, abandonment, amendments to CC&Rs and replatting" for the Kellys' new planned resort. The agreement also called for Kino to "expeditiously" supply the Kellys' property with an electrical power line. The evidence suggested, however, that Kino failed to cooperate in reconfiguring the Kellys' land, and Kino did not provide a power line to the property until 2008.

¶4 The Kellys filed a complaint that year for breach of contract seeking, inter alia, consequential damages in the form of expenses and lost profits. The Kellys' development plans had included building and operating a resort called Vermilion Mountain Ranch, as well as constructing and selling five "lodge homes" on their property. They built one of these lodge homes in 2008, after power became available. Alan Kelly and a general contractor who served as a consultant on the project, Hector Ruvalcaba, testified it cost approximately $400,000 to construct the lodge home, which was consistent with Alan's ledger of expenses admitted as an exhibit. A real estate broker, Lois Cooper, testified that the value of the lodge homes in 2005 would have been $660,000 each. Alan thus testified the lost profits from the five lodge homes were at least $750,000.

¶5 In addition to seeking lost profits from these sales, the Kellys sought to recover their actual expenses incurred in developing the lodge home and in making other improvements that would not have been made unless the new resort could have been built as planned. According to Alan's testimony, these costs totaled $90,000, and they included the costs for water lines, a water well, a barn, corrals, and fencing.

¶6 With respect to the resort, Alan provided much of the testimony related to its lost profits based on his own expertise and past experiences. For nearly fifteen years, during the 1980s and 1990s, the Kellys had owned and operated a luxury resort in Montana called Eagle's Nest Lodge. Before starting this business, Alan had received a bachelor's degree in biology and had worked as a fishery biologist and project leader with the United States Fish and Wildlife Service. The Montana resort he operated with Wanda catered to an "exclusive clientele" and offered its guests the chance to fish along the Bighorn River, which Alan described as "the number one trout stream in the world." The resort also provided guests with opportunities to see the natural habitat, tribal lands, and wildlife in the area.

¶7 For twelve years during this same period of time, Alan also served in a partnership with a company known as Orvis. In this capacity, he evaluated the accommodations, activities, and dining offered by other luxury resorts in various states and countries for the purpose of providing Orvis's endorsement. He also developed the criteria for making such evaluations.

¶8 In regard to the Arizona resort, the Kellys apparently planned on funding it themselves, and Alan estimated his initial costs to construct the resort would be $2,405,000. He testified the resort would offer its clients horseback riding, hiking, and astronomy. Given his past experiences, Alan believed his planned ranch would attract similar clients as his Montana lodge because such clients primarily desire a new experience in different surroundings, and the "high-desert country" offered a unique habitat. Alan testified that he could have charged $1,000 per night for each guest, half of which would have been profit. He planned for the resort to accommodate up to twenty-four guests and to operate five days per week for six months of the year. Assuming varying occupancy rates between twenty-five and one-hundred percent between the years 2004 and 2007, Alan thus calculated his operating profits at $3,240,000, for a total of $835,000 in net profits that were never realized from the resort.
Excellent information. Thank you for finding & sharing it.

Thanks for posting that. It clarifies what I have had a hunch about, re his possible growing frustration with poorly thought out major investment. I feel somewhat more empathetic with him, learning of his solid naturalist background. But Montana is not the extreme south of Arizona, and it wasn't in 2002 either, regarding risks along the border. Even locating adjacent to a town, he couldn't have realistically expected that to protect/development.

Imo
Whether he was frustrated over the development project working out or not, it is not in evidence as related to this case AFAIK. I'm sure over 20 years living on this property, he had many, many frustrations. He's been trying to sell it for a few years (since 2018 I think).

If GK sought vigilante justice of some kind, it will appear in the evidence, albeit likely as circumstantial.

Can we not stick to facts of this particular case? This case is unlikely to solve any of the long-standing problems on the border except those directly factually related to this particular incident.

JMO

Whether he was frustrated over the development project working out or not, it is not in evidence as related to this case AFAIK. I'm sure over 20 years living on this property, he had many, many frustrations. He's been trying to sell it for a few years (since 2018 I think).

If GK sought vigilante justice of some kind, it will appear in the evidence, albeit likely as circumstantial.

Can we not stick to facts of this particular case? This case is unlikely to solve any of the long-standing problems on the border except those directly factually related to this particular incident.

JMO
Motive can be VERY pertinent in a murder case. Who could be seen, in addition to the town itself, as damaging the success of his investment, in his opinion. We don't yet know what will be admitted in court, so let's not start limiting information too early. Just having the book included in the trial will be an eye opener.

Imo

Last edited:
Motive can be VERY pertinent in a murder case.
I'm not saying it's not.

Let the evidence provide it or not.

There might be other motives.

Heck, the defendant might have symptoms of dementia that impacted his behavior that day. Has GK been evaluated?

There are many, many factors that could impact this case re: motivation. But until we have evidence they are all conjecture IMHO.

JMO

I completely agree that any of his frustrations are conjecture, as I pointed out. I think it does provide nuance, if not specific evidence in this case. If his attorney is smart, I expect it will become part of his defense/closing arguments, barring other information that comes to light. But no, this case will not solve any of the general border issues.

I can’t help relating the violent
"Sticking to the facts" is getting it all out in the open. What is coming out about his development failures, having to lower the asking price, and his frustration with the town's alleged promises, and his attitudes as expressed in his book are facts.

Small Correction: it wasn’t really the town he had a contract with and lawsuit, but the companies/property owners named in the lawsuit.

I can’t help relating the violent

Small Correction: it wasn’t really the town he had a contract with and lawsuit, but the companies/property owners named in the lawsuit.
Thanks my mistake. I thought he was berating the town for not extending electricity to his site, I'll have to read that again.

ETA I was referring to #3, where Kino was supposed to expeditiously provide electric power to him, but did not until 2008. But I see what you are saying, the lawsuit is not with Kino, apparently.

Last edited:
Thanks my mistake. I thought he was berating the town for not extending electricity to his site, I'll have to read that again.

LOL. You could be right. The legalese made my eyes cross, but the lawsuit was with the property owners named.

I'm on page 3 of this thread. Hopefully things become more clear for those standing up for Mr. George.

I don't understand the SYG POV (I understand the SYG law but it does not apply here).

There were ZERO guns found. What was found? A dead guy, shot in the back, who was equipped with a radio and a Mexican voter card that he was identified by, who was trying to help get people to a better life. Kelly has no right to become judge, jury, and executioner. <modsnip>

The DEFENSE attorney is bringing up drug trafficking to get that into people's heads, regarding "selling testimonies". Nobody else is bringing up the cartel or drug trafficking.

Also, poor Gabriel was found 150 yards (400 something feet) from Kelly's residence. He wasn't even on Kelly's property. He was shot in the back. I don't get it.

**my opinions**
I don't think anyone on here is suggesting that Gabriel Cuen-Butimea deserved to die, whether or not he was in the business of smuggling people over the boarder or himself attempting to migrate.

Kelly is, as we all should be in such a situation, innocent until proven guilty. As such his potential innocence and raised defence to these charges should be freely discussed.

The cartel activity and the potential for some of the group to have been armed etc, are all valid considerations imo. As you mentioned, cartel activity and violence putting people who want emigrate in daily danger - it's not as if those people magically stop at the boarder.

Kelly owned a significant portion of land, the land that Gabriel Cuen-Butimea was found on was well within his property, he was around 150 yards from Kelly's house. The distance is pertinent because the land is so remote, that's far closer than needed if they were trying to avoid people.

As much as people so inclined can make assumptions on Gabriel's life and criminality, based on very little. I have seen plenty of people making similar assumptions about Kelly - he must be a racist disgruntled conservative happy to shoot migrants dead etc. Despite there being no currently known evidence that he is any of these things.

There is a danger in a case like this to have personal feelings or politics on illegal migration colour our perception of events. Gabriel Cuen-Butimea, was a person and he was killed. His death and the facts around it should be examined for what they are, not pontificated on by either side wanting a new political symbol of America's broken immigration system.

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL. You could be right. The legalese made my eyes cross, but the lawsuit was with the property owners named.
It was just an idealistic but poorly planned project imo. Twenty years ago he was mid fifties, probably looking to leave exquisite but cold and challenging Montana.

Sees a beautiful "ranch" in a warm area, right next to a town, contemplates again succeeding in high scale tourism.

But didn't research, or was not intimidated by what borderland tourism endeavors have to deal with.

Imo

Last edited:
I can’t help but imagine this scenario in another dangerous and lawless part of the country, the “Emerald Triangle” of Northern California consisting of Mendocino, Humboldt and Trinity counties. Growing high quality marijuana has been the cash crop for decades. We lived in Humboldt county from 1969-84 (not as growers). It became increasingly dangerous before we left. And with legalization it has gotten worse because there has been an influx known as “The Green Rush” of both legal and black market growers, including Mexican cartels. The black market growers don’t take kindly to “strangers” roaming around in their neighborhood, accidentally encroaching on their land. Although most murder victims are workers at the grows, it’s not safe for locals or tourists out in the hills. These growers are armed and dangerous. Watch the documentary “Murder Mountain,” filmed in our part of Humboldt County to get a feel for the area.

Knowing all this, do I make the decision to sell a very nice and successful high end resort I own and operate safely elsewhere and develop a new one in the wilds of The Emerald Triangle? Not if I value the lives of my clientele. Not if I even expect to have paying guests. So I question GK’s business sanity in pursuing this new venture in a known area of illegal immigrants and drug runners. What was he thinking? And why did he allegedly end up killing someone?

Obviously, his poor planning of this resort does not directly relate to the shooting of GC-B. We will have to wait for more information about GK’s mindset. But we can keep in mind that “innocent until proven guilty” only applies in a court of law, so we who are merely discussing this case can opine in any direction we want to. And we must remember that GC-B who was shot, is the victim on WS. Not GK.
JMO

I don't think anyone on here is suggesting that Gabriel Cuen-Butimea deserved to die, whether or not he was in the business of smuggling people over the boarder or himself attempting to migrate.

Kelly is, as we all should be in such a situation, innocent until proven guilty. As such his potential innocence and raised defence to these charges should be freely discussed.

The cartel activity and the potential for some of the group to have been armed etc, are all valid considerations imo. As you mentioned, cartel activity and violence putting people who want emigrate in daily danger - it's not as if those people magically stop at the boarder.

Kelly owned a significant portion of land, the land that Gabriel Cuen-Butimea was found on was well within his property, he was around 150 yards from Kelly's house. The distance is pertinent because the land is so remote, that's far closer than needed if they were trying to avoid people.

As much as people so inclined can make assumptions on Gabriel's life and criminality, based on very little. I have seen plenty of people making similar assumptions about Kelly - he must be a racist disgruntled conservative happy to shoot migrants dead etc. Despite there being no currently known evidence that he is any of these things.

There is a danger in a case like this to have personal feelings or politics on illegal migration colour our perception of events. Gabriel Cuen-Butimea, was a person and he was killed. His death and the facts around it should be examined for what they are, not pontificated on by either side wanting a new political symbol of America's broken immigration system.

JMO

I have been exploring the very strong possibility that the shooting of GCB was by warring cartels in the immediate area, as the Defense attorney suggested.
It was stated early on in court that the drug and human smuggling cartels use this corridor on and or near Mr Kelly's property. This was not a new occurrence. Many ranchers have called to report, and were encouraged to do so by the government.

There are multiple Warring Drug Cartels operating at the borders, and utilizing private US properties as their war grounds.

From this article:

"Authorities say a decade-long battle between the CJNG and the Sinaloa cartel is escalating, as both groups try to control the plazas, or areas within cities and towns. As long as there's a demand for illegal narcotics, the war will continue."

"Please, if you see something, say something, advise the local authorities, and we're still continuing our battle here." Ruiz concluded. "

I also found this from the AZ AG, from Feb 2022:

Human Smuggling
Human smuggling is a lucrative market and in February 2021, it brought in more than $14 million a day for cartels and gangs. Annually, the cartels and gangs get billions of dollars a year from human smuggling. So it's no wonder that criminal organizations would be willing to engage in violent cross-border attacks to protect their profits.

Violence at the Border
The cartels' smuggling of humans and drugs is bringing more violence to the border crossing into the United States. Unauthorized individuals have engaged in a number of violent attacks in Cochise County, which shares an 83-mile border with Mexico. Individuals believed to be cartel drug smugglers are regularly caught on camera crossing the border, dressed in camouflage and carrying weapons to protect their drug loads. Border area ranchers have experienced this violence firsthand, including one who was killed the day after he reported a drug load to authorities. "

Climbing over things or the suspect taking some sort of covered lower position could explain the wound, I'd not thought of that.

Though the prosecution and witnesses makes no mention of scrambling over obstacles, only of them running away.

Even with a low position, there is still that apparent sharply angled trajectory. That I think would still need a further explanation if he was as far away as stated when the bullets were fired. - I wonder, could it be that he fired at their feet rather than over their heads? A bullet deflecting off of something on the ground and up into the victim could also explain that angle. Also a far more reckless place to aim, so worth lying about.

There seems to be some confusion on exactly where he was. The LE all seem to agree the shots were fired from near his porch and travelled a ,80-100 yard distance through a wooded area. The witnesses mention him coming out of the bushes and being something like 10ft away.

So did they approach far closer to the house than it seems? Was he not by the porch when they first encountered him or when the bullets were fired? Did he take potshots at a distant group or did they get relatively close as he first stated? Did the victim continue to run some distance before he fell?

I would really love to see photos of this location and the relative positions of the people involved. There is far too much up in the air to draw any real conclusions.
Bbm.
Exactly.

If GB had a weapon in his hands, did the others take it with them ... and if so where its it now ?
Did they test GB's hands post mortem for GSR ?
All of this is important.
Imo.

I'm certain they checked or are checking the spent casings on GK's porch, and of course they'd have checked GK's hands for GSR.
When the others left GB, did GB have anything else on his person that the others took with them ?
Etc.

I have been exploring the very strong possibility that the shooting of GCB was by warring cartels in the immediate area, as the Defense attorney suggested.
It was stated early on in court that the drug and human smuggling cartels use this corridor on and or near Mr Kelly's property. This was not a new occurrence. Many ranchers have called to report, and were encouraged to do so by the government.

There are multiple Warring Drug Cartels operating at the borders, and utilizing private US properties as their war grounds.

From this article:

"Authorities say a decade-long battle between the CJNG and the Sinaloa cartel is escalating, as both groups try to control the plazas, or areas within cities and towns. As long as there's a demand for illegal narcotics, the war will continue."

"Please, if you see something, say something, advise the local authorities, and we're still continuing our battle here." Ruiz concluded. "

I also found this from the AZ AG, from Feb 2022:

Human Smuggling
Human smuggling is a lucrative market and in February 2021, it brought in more than $14 million a day for cartels and gangs. Annually, the cartels and gangs get billions of dollars a year from human smuggling. So it's no wonder that criminal organizations would be willing to engage in violent cross-border attacks to protect their profits.

Violence at the Border
The cartels' smuggling of humans and drugs is bringing more violence to the border crossing into the United States. Unauthorized individuals have engaged in a number of violent attacks in Cochise County, which shares an 83-mile border with Mexico. Individuals believed to be cartel drug smugglers are regularly caught on camera crossing the border, dressed in camouflage and carrying weapons to protect their drug loads. Border area ranchers have experienced this violence firsthand, including one who was killed the day after he reported a drug load to authorities. "

I don't see any facts leading to a "very strong possibility" that the victim was murdered by warring drug cartels. Are you saying the victim was a drug smuggler? Or that he was part of a 3rd group? I don't think we can accuse victims here, that way.

All we know about the murder victim is his name, that he was deported in 2016, that he had a Mexican voters card on him, had a radio, and boots very similar to the ones I have.

None of this makes sense to me, this property is adjacent to a small town, the murder took place if full daylight. Why would competing drug cartels have a shoot out in this place at this time?

And, how can we basically accuse the murdered victim of being a drug trafficker?

Imo

I don't see any facts leading to a "very strong possibility" that the victim was murdered by warring drug cartels. Are you saying the victim was a drug smuggler? Or that he was part of a 3rd group? I don't think we can accuse victims here, that way.

All we know about the murder victim is his name, that he was deported in 2016, that he had a Mexican voters card on him, had a radio, and boots very similar to the ones I have.

None of this makes sense to me, this property is adjacent to a small town, the murder took place if full daylight. Why would competing drug cartels have a shoot out in this place at this time?

And, how can we basically accuse the murdered victim of being a drug trafficker?

Imo

What are the implications of the radio? Yes, I know it’s legal to own a radio. But why does someone lug it along on his illegal border crossing?

If we are going investigate the victim, then it makes sense to investigate the person or people who accompanied the accused murderer that day. If one of the people fired upon said that someone was shooting out of the nearby bushes, as though he were being hunted...Then were there more than one ranch inhabitants shooting at migrants?

<modsnip> it wouldn't make any difference if he were a rapist, a gambler, a four flusher of any kind or a wonderful family man going to visit relatives in Phoenix. He was murdered by being shot in the back, the most cowardly way to take a person's life. He was more than a football field away, and the accused murderer's tale is full of holes.

Why was he shot? What was the motive for such a reckless cowardly deed? What pressures was the accused murderer under? What had the accused murderer said about migrants in the past?

Ie what the accused murderer did, what is the proof, his motives.

Imo

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the implications of the radio? Yes, I know it’s legal to own a radio. But why does someone lug it along on his illegal border crossing?
Well, maybe it was part of migrant trafficking to advise those behind where to cross. He was very far away from the accused shooter, how would the accused murderer know if he had a radio, if it were a man or a pregnant woman, whatever. To my mind the point is why would someone shoot a weapon in such a reckless fashion?

As others are rushing to blame the victim by saying that his friends took away his guns after he was killed, maybe, instead, his friends planted a radio on him?

The accused murderer has to account for his actions, imo. It was too far away, he even told le that they were too far away to see if they were armed.

Imo

There were ZERO guns found.

**my opinions**
Snipped and bolded by me.

We don't know yet that the other people with GB were unarmed.
If there were other groups crossing over in the area, it would make sense that GB and/or his group were armed ?
For self protection against other people or even venomous snakes and rabid coyotes.
After GB was shot by someone (could have been someone he was with, GK,or another group), the people with him may have taken his gun.
Why ?
Guns aren't cheap.
And maybe it was a borrowed weapon.
If GB had an AK, they're pricey.
Imo.

If we are going investigate the victim, then it makes sense to investigate the person or people who accompanied the accused murderer that day. If one of the people fired upon said that someone was shooting out of the nearby bushes, as though he were being hunted...Then were there more than one ranch inhabitants shooting at migrants?

You are theorizing more "ranch inhabitants" and ignoring the elephant in the room, which is that we already KNOW there were quite a few others in the mix that day (and who seemingly have been ignored, rather than questioned). There were reportedly 7-8-9 trespassers that day invading Kelly's property that we have been told of (and could have been others who went under the radar). We only have two they have really talked to. At one point, they had a couple more but just sent them on their way instead of finding out what they knew.

There is no dispute that those extra trespassers were there, but the witnesses speak of being in a group of 2-3. Who were all the others, and what was THEIR story? Which of them carried guns for protection or other plans? Which were the type who likely had nefarious purposes? Who else might have been lurking out of sight?

But your question does highlight an important point -- we don't even know for sure who shot this guy. Nor if such a shot was even possible (or could have been intentional as an attempt to hit someone) when shooting from where Kelly was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NorCalGurl72