4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered - Bryan Kohberger Arrested - Moscow # 75

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't he in solitary? How would other inmates know what he does all day? Jmo
“Jail sources” aka.. grain of salt. Daily Mail has this:

By all accounts, the 28-year-old has been a model prisoner, a jail official tells DailyMail.com. This despite facing taunts from inmates who sometimes shout at him as he shuffles past their cells.

When one inmate named Tyson hollered 'bit**!' at the accused murderer during a recent weekday, Kohberger barely flinched, turning toward him with a menacing stare without breaking stride as he proceeded down the hall, according to one inmate who watched it happen.

'He always has the same expression, or non-expression,' said one inmate, who met with a DailyMail.com reporter in the jail. 'He just looks straight ahead. I've never even seen his eyebrows or mouth move. He never says anything.'

Kohberger spends most of his time alone in a private cell, kept apart from other inmates who share cells.

He rarely if ever chats with jail mates, who typically only see him when he walks past them

I hope I'm doing this the right way, trying to comment on this. I don't have notifications turned on, so I just saw it when I searched for your posts

@Montecore1 and @BeginnerSleuther.
Why did they need Tinder from March 1st, 2021 - March 31st, 2021? Was BK on there? Was someone else? What happened that month? Why do a bunch of 20 year olds each have 4 bank accounts? For clarification, I'm not insinuating anything bad about the victims, but I wonder if there was some financial motive here or if there was more going on than we know that explains the tie to BK
All great questions BeginnerSleuther...as always. That many bank accounts seemed very odd to me as well, also each of them having a Square (Block) credit card reader...why would they need that? Its very strange IMO MOO AISI. I too am not insinuating any nefarious actions on the victims...just scratching my head about all of this.
The very specific Tinder dates is very intriguing as well, maybe @Sister Golden Hair has some input on this as well, she has been doing a great job in deciphering all of these search warrants that Isabella88 did such an amazing job in laying out for us.

so my comments:

If you look at the warrants, you'll see this:

Kaylee reddit 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 12.1.22, motion for extension 12.14
BK Google. 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 1.3.23

so.... my theory and this is JMO IMO but they knew about BK 11.29. Someone might have worked some OT that weekend. LE easily found his Reddit, and lo and behold, Kaylee had a reddit, too, and a known interest in crim law. bingo. Warrant for hers because they could and the trail started. regardless of what they thought about BK, LE didn't have PC for a warrant yet, so his Google had to wait. that's what I make of that. His reddit open, so they didn't need a warrant for that. The 3.1.2021-3.31.2021 warrant for DD is not a coincidence IMO JMO and based on everything we know about pc affidavits and warrants. lots of possibilities, but that warrant was dated 12.22 - LE was tracking him by then and just waiting for PC. Then LE got a warrant for Kaylee's google

Kaylee google 8.1.2022 Warrant dated 12.5.22

is it a coincidence that he started school there in August 2022? IDK, but interesting
Kaylee and BK are the only two warrants for Google - is that because there was no PC for the others? just a thought, idk

then...
re the overlapping accounts - imo jmo ime 4 overlapping accounts is a lot. but they didn't have 4. they had 8 or 9.
9 if you keep Discover (which, depending, I might downgrade if those are student loans, but only if). so let's go with 8:

1. BofA
2. Banner
3. ID Central Credit Union
4. Numerica Credit Union
5. Potlatch Credit Union
6. Umpquah Bank
7. Wells Fargo
8. American Express (not just a CC company, but a financial services company -- inc prepaid debits & gift cards)

That's a lot... and it wasn't just the four of them who had them, but 3-5 other people on the warrants as well. Even if those were their parents' accounts in some cases, quite the coincidence imo ime. And Numerica and Potlatch? huh. curious. NO nefarious intent implied - just curious. IDK what to make of it, but based on my experience and IMO if I were LE I'd have been curious jmo imo.

I am going to ask the mods if I can link to the site that has the most financial institutions in ID but you can google that, too.

it is also interesting to me that all had records with ID DOL. Could just be their employment records, could be unemployment, could be both. Idaho Department of Labor

Anyway, just my thoughts for what they'r worth, which is not much. All jmo imo ime.

Last edited:
Isn't he in solitary? How would other inmates know what he does all day? Jmo
If he has to ask a guard to change the channel, presumably they can hear him make that request. They can probably hear what he's watching, too, if the volume is loud enough. Prisons are built to be secure, not soundproof. I imagine they're echo chambers. Everything I've seen written by people who've been in one or worked in one talks about how loud they are, at all times of day and night.

MOO

That is a good article. It remains to be seen what might have influenced BK and in MHO it could have been the influence of Prof Ramsland at DeSales. Ramsland wrote many books related to the Murders by BTK in Kansas and the one "Confession of a Serial Killer" delves into double lives, killer next door etc. It seems to answer many of the questions BK probably posted asking convicts questions on stalking victims and other suspicious questions. JMO
If BK pays as much attention to press coverage of his case as other stories have reported, he will probably be seething when he reads this quote from his acquaintance (bolded by me):

”With the mountain of evidence against him, Kohberger’s former classmate and neighbor both believe he is responsible for the crime.

“I absolutely think they got their guy just because the stars kind of align,” Ferraro said. “It’s almost too good to be true, unless this guy was miraculously set up, which is like a one in a billion chance. No one cares enough about Bryan Kohberger to set him up.”

There's obviously no way for me to definitively and factually dismiss your hunch. At this point it's just as plausible as any other.

But what would it look like if a Moscow Detective was on the stand...And BK's defense attorney asked them "Did you look into the DoorDash Driver who was there minutes before the murders?"

If that detective doesn't have a thorough answer. And his answer is "BK was a much stronger suspect so we ignored the driver and his service" that's almost the textbook definition of reasonable doubt.

BK's defense team will likely (IMO) already argue that LE focused on BK almost immediately and had blinders on for other suspects.
But the report shows LE did interview the DD. And I am pretty sure they could easily look at his phone logs and see where he went right after the delivery.

They also have video of him driving away after the food drop off. And it wasn't his DNA left on the knife sheath. So I don't think the jurors will have much reasonable doubt that it was the delivery driver that killed those 4 kids. JMO

You can clearly see (IMO) from the video of him being pulled over in Indiana that he has the basic (non-upgraded) unit.

The one place that they might be able to recover information from is Android's 'Timeline' feature. Which is purposely buried within the settings of Google Maps. It provides a spooky amount of information on your movements and location. Minute by minute.

Apple's equivalent is "Frequent Locations". So if the victims kept that feature on (it's also buried on the iPhone) then LE will have detailed tracking of their movements.

The only way to turn off these features is to find them and toggle them off or to disable GPS (explicitly or via Airplane Mode). Otherwise, there's been reports of Frequent Locations / Timeline working even when the phone is turned off.

Edit: when you wake up and open Google Maps or Apple Maps and it says "Your Commute to Work is 20 minutes, Click Here to Leave Now" or if your phone tells you the time to the gym after work....that's Timeline and Frequent Locations data in action.
What a conundrum! While I often resent the sometimes hidden invasion of my privacy - I also have some comfort in knowing that if something horrid ever happened to me that there are techie systems in place that could track my whereabouts and help me.
Lol, as I've aged I find I don't do anything exciting enough to hide but, nonetheless, I still subscribe to George Orwell's views. (It doesn't help that my son works DOD cyber security with his CISSP!)
I'm praying the invasion is balanced out if it helps convict criminals like the one who took these beautiful lives.

Holy heck! I was off threads since last week and now bouncing around to catch up. I now see there were redacted warrants added to the case! Match and Tinder?! Whoa. That is very specific. Not Bumble or POF or CriminalMindsMeet or whatever other dating sites exist.

Makes me think they found something on his phone or one of the student’s phones that are suggestive of possible contact. I’m guessing you all covered all of that in the past few days.

Wow, that was big news. Sorry I’m late to chirp up, but I am excited by the idea of possible new evidence.

I have lots of catching up to do, I see! o_O

Thanks for posting this @realanastasia

That is a good article. It remains to be seen what might have influenced BK and in MHO it could have been the influence of Prof Ramsland at DeSales. Ramsland wrote many books related to the Murders by BTK in Kansas and the one "Confession of a Serial Killer" delves into double lives, killer next door etc. It seems to answer many of the questions BK probably posted asking convicts questions on stalking victims and other suspicious questions. JMO
Ramsland's comments/non-comments are interesting to me. I expect another book from her -- one on BK if he's found guilty. Yep, It could have been Ramsland's class helped BK make some sense of or shape what was going on in his own mind.

At this point, BK's influences and reasons are like potato chips to me, I can't pick just one. IMO BK was having "crazy thoughts" about murder for a while before finding criminology. Like all fantasies his evolved over time, surely some things got added by what he read/saw (criminology books? slasher films?), others left behind. His targets evolved too. I'm interested to know how he chose these beautiful happy souls.

Yes, BK is innocent until proven otherwise. JMO

Is this the class BK wrote the survey for? I'm fascinated by a few lectures.
Ramsland's Psychological Insights course detailed guide to the 12 lectures (available to take online).
Lecture 7: Edmund Kemper Path to Psychopath. thoughts that become acts can start while the perpetrator is quite young.
Lecture 8: Joseph DeAngelo, the Golden State Killer, What makes an extreme offender successful?
Lecture 12 Elliot Rodger "a symbol of justified violence to men known as 'incels', or involuntary celibates."
Extreme Offenders: Psychological Insights
Kattherine Ramsland, PhD Professor, DeSales University

Holy heck! I was off threads since last week and now bouncing around to catch up. I now see there were redacted warrants added to the case! Match and Tinder?! Whoa. That is very specific. Not Bumble or POF or CriminalMindsMeet or whatever other dating sites exist.

Makes me think they found something on his phone or one of the student’s phones that are suggestive of possible contact. I’m guessing you all covered all of that in the past few days.

Wow, that was big news. Sorry I’m late to chirp up, but I am excited by the idea of possible new evidence.

I have lots of catching up to do, I see! o_O

Just wait til you get to the debate over Tinder warrant from March 1st, 2021 - March 30, 2021. Very specific dates, 18 months before the murders.

Except that the warrants were dated in early December. They hadn’t identified BK by that time.

Warrants (and the underlying affidavits where LE asserts probable cause and lays out the case for the judge) were issued at different times. IMO IME if you follow those dates, it's possible to piece together the events, and what LE possibly knew when. LE cannot and did not get warrants without probable cause. The DD warrants weren't a guess. there was evidence to support the request. imo jmo and the us constitution plus ID state constitution (links in my earlier posts). LE was onto BK by 11.29 per the arrest affidavit and if you follow the dates on the newly released warrants Idaho Judicial Cases of Interest,

you'll get a general idea of how LE was connecting the dots:

short list:

BK Google. 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 1.3.23 (LE had to have PC to get this)

Kaylee google 8.1.2022 Warrant dated 12.5.22. (BK moved to WA in August)

Kaylee Yahoo 8.1.2022 Warrant dated 12.1.22

Kaylee Tinder 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 11.29.22. (Same time period as Kaylee's reddit & BK google and date they knew about BK - around midnight 11.29 iirc)

Maddie Tinder 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 12.6.22

BK Tinder 6.1.2022. Warrant dated 1.25.23 (same date as DropBox -did BK visit WA then?)

BK Yik Yak 6.1.2022 (edited to add). Warrant dated 1.25.23 (same date as DropBox)

Dropbox anonymous and warrant dated 1.25.2023

Tinder 19 or 20 redacted 11.3.2022.
Warrant dated 12.6.22 same date as Door Dash (likely DD and I believe this is directly related to BK and summarized why in 74 - jmo imo but the dates work and it explains how LE had PC for all those accounts - because it wasn't just spitballing)

Door Dash 1.1.2022 Warrant dated 12.6.22 - same date as anonymous Tinder

Tinder from March 1, 2021 to March 31, 2021 for 20 redacted accounts - warrant dated 12.22.2022

Didn't Kaylee's family say early on that they were able to access her phone through the family password? Or was it that they had her phone? Am I missing something? IMO.

Yes, that's how they knew about all the calls to the ex BF, and then LE still got a warrant on 11.21 b/c that would be the safer choice regardless and for all of the data that a phone wouldn't include.

I hope I'm doing this the right way, trying to comment on this. I don't have notifications turned on, so I just saw it when I searched for your posts

@Montecore1 and @BeginnerSleuther.

All great questions BeginnerSleuther...as always. That many bank accounts seemed very odd to me as well, also each of them having a Square (Block) credit card reader...why would they need that? Its very strange IMO MOO AISI. I too am not insinuating any nefarious actions on the victims...just scratching my head about all of this.
The very specific Tinder dates is very intriguing as well, maybe @Sister Golden Hair has some input on this as well, she has been doing a great job in deciphering all of these search warrants that Isabella88 did such an amazing job in laying out for us.

so my comments:

If you look at the warrants, you'll see this:

BK Google. 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 1.3.23

so.... my theory and this is JMO IMO but they knew about BK 11.29. Someone might have worked some OT that weekend. LE easily found his Reddit, and lo and behold, Kaylee had a reddit, too, and a known interest in crim law. bingo. Warrant for hers because they could and the trail started. regardless of what they thought about BK, LE didn't have PC for a warrant yet, so his Google had to wait. that's what I make of that. His reddit open, so they didn't need a warrant for that. The 3.1.2021-3.31.2021 warrant for DD is not a coincidence IMO JMO and based on everything we know about pc affidavits and warrants. lots of possibilities, but that warrant was dated 12.22 - LE was tracking him by then and just waiting for PC. Then LE got a warrant for Kaylee's google

Kaylee google 8.1.2022 Warrant dated 12.5.22

is it a coincidence that he started school there in August 2022? IDK, but interesting
Kaylee and BK are the only two warrants for Google - is that because there was no PC for the others? just a thought, idk

then...
re the overlapping accounts - imo jmo ime 4 overlapping accounts is a lot. but they didn't have 4. they had 8 or 9.
9 if you keep Discover (which, depending, I might downgrade if those are student loans, but only if). so let's go with 8:

1. BofA
2. Banner
3. ID Central Credit Union
4. Numerica Credit Union
5. Potlatch Credit Union
6. Umpquah Bank
7. Wells Fargo
8. American Express (not just a CC company, but a financial services company -- inc prepaid debits & gift cards)

That's a lot... and it wasn't just the four of them who had them, but 3-5 other people on the warrants as well. Even if those were their parents' accounts in some cases, quite the coincidence imo ime. And Numerica and Potlatch? huh. curious. NO nefarious intent implied - just curious. IDK what to make of it, but based on my experience and IMO if I were LE I'd have been curious jmo imo.

I am going to ask the mods if I can link to the site that has the most financial institutions in ID but you can google that, too.

it is also interesting to me that all had records with ID DOL. Could just be their employment records, could be unemployment, could be both. Idaho Department of Labor

Anyway, just my thoughts for what they'r worth, which is not much. All jmo imo ime.
I got permission to post the link:

this shows the top 50 banks in ID and you can do the math to see what you think the probabilities are of 4 people using all the same financial institutions. There really are math sites that will calculate this for you, but it's four people and however many banks. I screwed up the first calculation, but try, try again. For one person with 50 choices, who can then choose 8 of those with no repetition, order not important, there are 536,878,650 potential choices. The odds are worse than winning the lottery! And that's before the probability of 4+ people choosing those same banks.

So I'm not a mathematician (as I've just proven) but that seems like a lot. Of course, JMO IMO and there could be a logical explanation and no nefarious intent implied re the accounts - it's just odd, that's all, but I can't do the math to figure out how odd.

editing to add: the top 50 doesn't even include the credit unions, so even more possible combinations. I hope someone (not me) will calculate the probability of these things happening.

Last edited:
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed. Thank you for providing the link.>

Here is the link. It mentions the survey was approved by DeSales and I understand it was on Reddit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got permission to post the link:

this shows number of banks and you can do the math to see what you think the probabilities are of 4 people using all the same financial institutions. There really are math sites that will calculate this for you, but it's four people and however many banks, plus all the possible combinations, then the probability of all 4 people choosing the same 8 banks. I just did the top 50 banks, and for four people, that's 230,300 possible combinations of choices, and that's before you calculate the probability of them all having the same ones. So I'm not mathematician as I've just proven but that seems like a lot. Of course, JMO IMO and there could be a logical and innocent explanation.
I think there is probably a rational and completely understandable explanation for the financial records warrants. If the 'odds' are so low then what does that tell us? IMO the 'financial records' gathered for the victims (and redacted parties) from these institutions does not necessarily (and to my mind this is probable) mean that every person listed (including the redacted names) held individual accounts with every single one of these institutions. This is MOO. I am no financial expert, I do not know how financial data/records of transactions is traced and can be tracked through bank and credit union records. It is extremely complex and IMO only professionals could really speak to this. But I have been doing a bit of research as a layman and will lay it out here over the next day or so. My research has come from two angles 1) Dept of Justice re specifics for gaining warrant for financial institutions and 2) the difference between a) issuing banks for credit/debit cards and b) credit card networks. MOO

IMO, it would be great to hear from any financial experts in this area for those interested in understanding the warrants being questioned here.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Dr. Michelle Bolger is one of the faculty members at DeSales University who approved of BK's survey for his Master's degree. IIRC, another one or two faculty members signed off on BK's survey indicating that they approved it as meeting the University's research protocols through DeSales' Institutional Review Board. Dr. Bolger was also one of the referees for BK's application to the doctoral program in criminology at WSU. We don't know who the other faculty members were who provided references. Several would be required.

Dr. Bolger is a tenured faculty member at DeSales University where she has been teaching for eight years, according to her bio on the DeSales University website. She received her Ph.D. from the University of Cincinatti and was tenured at DeSales.

Not sure what Dr. Bolger's age has to do with anything, she is the normal age for a tenured faculty member who has been teaching for eight years.

BK is old for a traditional graduate student at 28 years of age, so he would be older than some of his professors who followed the traditional route of baccalaureate degree, then master's degree, then doctoral degree.

We have many faculty at our university who are younger than BK, and were very competitive hires.

All JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Michelle Bolger is one of the faculty members at DeSales University who approved of BK's survey for his Master's degree. IIRC, another one or two faculty members signed off on BK's survey indicating that they approved it as meeting the University's research protocols through DeSales' Institutional Review Board. Dr. Bolger was also one of the referees for BK's application to the doctoral program in criminology at WSU. We don't know who the other faculty members were who provided references. Several would be required.

Dr. Bolger is a tenured faculty member at DeSales University where she has been teaching for eight years, according to her bio on the DeSales University website. She received her Ph.D. from the University of Cincinatti and was tenured at DeSales.

Not sure what Dr. Bolger's age has to do with anything, she is the normal age for a tenured faculty member who has been teaching for eight years.

BK is old for a traditional graduate student at 28 years of age, so he would be older than some of his professors who followed the traditional route of baccalaureate degree, then master's degree, then doctoral degree.

We have many faculty at our university who are younger than BK, and were very competitive hires.

All JMO.
It wasn't a criticism of her or her experience, and I apologise if it came off that way. All I was doing was trying to think of a way to describe her in a way that folks would recognise from earlier discussions, since I couldn't recall her name. She and BK are close in age, and she talked publicly about BK, in particular about his promise as a student and her recommendation of him for the Doctoral program. As opposed to Ramsland, who is elderly and has refused to comment publicly about BK at all.

MOO

Agree with this sentiment as the only people I know who do these jobs are really hardworking lovely people. I just speculate that perhaps *some* could also be ex offenders or such because I'm not sure much checking gets done so much as a person registers on the system and is up and running fairly easily.
Nope. You have to pass a bkgd check.

It wasn't a criticism of her or her experience, and I apologise if it came off that way. All I was doing was trying to think of a way to describe her in a way that folks would recognise from earlier discussions, since I couldn't recall her name. She and BK are close in age, and she talked publicly about BK, in particular about his promise as a student and her recommendation of him for the Doctoral program. As opposed to Ramsland, who is elderly and has refused to comment publicly about BK at all.

MOO
I wonder if Dr. Ramslaand also provided BK with a reference for the doctoral program in criminology at WSU.

< Politely snipped by me >
short list:

BK Google. 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 1.3.23 (LE had to have PC to get this)

Kaylee google 8.1.2022 Warrant dated 12.5.22. (BK moved to WA in August)

Kaylee Yahoo 8.1.2022 Warrant dated 12.1.22

Kaylee Tinder 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 11.29.22. (Same time period as Kaylee's reddit & BK google and date they knew about BK - around midnight 11.29 iirc)

Maddie Tinder 1.1.2021. Warrant dated 12.6.22

BK Tinder 6.1.2022. Warrant dated 1.25.23 (same date as DropBox -did BK visit WA then?)

BK Yik Yak 6.1.2022 (edited to add). Warrant dated 1.25.23 (same date as DropBox)

Dropbox anonymous and warrant dated 1.25.2023

Tinder 19 or 20 redacted 11.3.2022.
Warrant dated 12.6.22 same date as Door Dash (likely DD and I believe this is directly related to BK and summarized why in 74 - jmo imo but the dates work and it explains how LE had PC for all those accounts - because it wasn't just spitballing)

Door Dash 1.1.2022 Warrant dated 12.6.22 - same date as anonymous Tinder

Tinder from March 1, 2021 to March 31, 2021 for 20 redacted accounts - warrant dated 12.22.2022

Yes, that's how they knew about all the calls to the ex BF, and then LE still got a warrant on 11.21 b/c that would be the safer choice regardless and for all of the data that a phone wouldn't include.
The DA Team will need physical evidence to present to the jury in court so a warrant was issued for cell phone data for all involved.

I love it when you compose these warrant lists. Thank you! I need to bookmark this post.

I thought BK was present in WA by June, 2022 where you have him moving to Pullman in AUG. Can I be assured this AUG date is accurate? BK graduated Master's in June, 2022? Went directly to Pullman to get settled into becoming a Teaching Assistant in Criminology or waited until AUG?

It kinda appears warrants were seeking if KG and BK may have been tracking with one another JAN 1 Tinder/ Dropbox.

The DD warrant still intrigues due to wide scope of calendar days. They demanded a lot of information about those DD drivers, too. Something along the way convinced a Judge to ok the warrant in order for it to be dated so far back in time or ten months worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard