FL Hulking Florida teen who beat teacher unconscious over Nintendo Switch pleads guilty

c@tw0man

Reaction score

The hulking Florida teen who beat a female teacher unconscious after his Nintendo Switch video game was confiscated at school pleaded guilty to the shocking crime Monday and faces up to 30 years behind bars.

Brendan Depa, then 17, violently threw Matanzas High School paraprofessional Joan Naydich to the floor before kicking and punching her in the back and head more than a dozen times.

His violent behavior as an autistic man isn’t unusual. It doesn’t sound like prison is going to work out too well for him. He’s already been in a fight in the jail.

Other prisoners will not tolerate his violence. I hope they can find a medication that will help him decrease his violent tendencies. Otherwise, I suspect he’ll end up dead in a cell.

while I can sympathize with his possible difficulties being on the spectrum, he was essentially an adult male (or just shy of it) of considerable size and strength at the time of the attack. He did serious damage and could do substantially more to his next victim.

I too hope they can find a way to decrease his aggression. But if not, he will be right were he belongs. IMO

Snip:
Brendan Depa, the ex-student accused of beating a teacher's aide at Matanzas High School in an attack that was captured on a viral video, entered an open no-contest plea at a hearing Monday.

Perkins then set the sentencing hearing for Jan. 31 at 1:30 p.m.

The open plea to the court means Depa's defense attorney has not reached any agreement with prosecutors on the possible sentence.

June 26, 2023

while I can sympathize with his possible difficulties being on the spectrum, he was essentially an adult male (or just shy of it) of considerable size and strength at the time of the attack. He did serious damage and could do substantially more to his next victim.

I too hope they can find a way to decrease his aggression. But if not, he will be right were he belongs. IMO
Absolutely. Before someone dies. jmo

His violent behavior as an autistic man isn’t unusual. It doesn’t sound like prison is going to work out too well for him. He’s already been in a fight in the jail.

Other prisoners will not tolerate his violence. I hope they can find a medication that will help him decrease his violent tendencies. Otherwise, I suspect he’ll end up dead in a cell.
Someone like that should be in a mental institution, not a prison.

Rehabilitation and stabilization are more likely to happen in a hospital setting, than in prison, imo. Prison is supposed to be "punishment" for crime committed. I doubt Brendan fully understands the situation.

I don't know anything about this young man except what I've read in the MSM, but from what I read, IMO, rehabilitation and stabilization is unlikely.

I'm sure there will be mental health evals done and if it's found that it truly is the ASD that's responsible for this terrible crime, then he'll likely be incarcerated at a forensic facility that's equipped to deal with his mental health challenges.

I also disagree that prison is supposed to be punishment. That's one of the goals maybe, but the other is to keep dangerous people off the streets. In this young man's case, an argument could be made that he developmentally can't understand the consequences of his actions. But that's never going to change. So if he kills someone, it'll also be because he couldn't understand the consequences of his actions. He can't live in a hospital for that reason. A group home? Maybe. A state forensic "hospital" where the not-guilty-by-reason-of-insanity people go? Possibly (though less likely, depending on the state), but no hospital is going to change his developmental progress.

A hospital wouldn't be able to cure him, but it could keep him safe, both from himself, and also from the public.

That's not a good use of a hospital. Everyone already complains about lack of psych beds. If we expect hospitals to house people who will never get better, imagine how much worse it's going to get.

That's not a good use of a hospital. Everyone already complains about lack of psych beds. If we expect hospitals to house people who will never get better, imagine how much worse it's going to get.
What else do you suggest be done? If there's ever a person for whom some kind of long-term inpatient facility is intended, it's someone like this young man.

What else do you suggest be done? If there's ever a person for whom some kind of long-term inpatient facility is intended, it's someone like this young man.
I'm sure there will be mental health evals done and if it's found that it truly is the ASD that's responsible for this terrible crime, then he'll likely be incarcerated at a forensic facility that's equipped to deal with his mental health challenges.

A group home? Maybe. A state forensic "hospital" where the not-guilty-by-reason-of-insanity people go? Possibly (though less likely, depending on the state), but no hospital is going to change his developmental progress.
RSBM
Is a state forensic facility a realistic option in this case?

Two generations ago, let’s say 1970s, he would’ve been in a frightful mental institution. Four generations ago, let’s say 1950s, he probably wouldn’t have survived this far. It’s a miracle really that he has the family he has, a woman who continues to defend him and look for solutions; even as I don’t agree with much of what she wrote, I honor that we live in a country where she can freely write it. I don’t see any good solutions and my primary empathy is with the woman he assaulted - it was absolutely inexcusable, even as I don’t think he has the cognition to realize at all the enormity and harm in what he has done.

I don't know anything about this young man except what I've read in the MSM, but from what I read, IMO, rehabilitation and stabilization is unlikely.

I also disagree that prison is supposed to be punishment. That's one of the goals maybe, but the other is to keep dangerous people off the streets. In this young man's case, an argument could be made that he developmentally can't understand the consequences of his actions. But that's never going to change. So if he kills someone, it'll also be because he couldn't understand the consequences of his actions. He can't live in a hospital for that reason. A group home? Maybe. A state forensic "hospital" where the not-guilty-by-reason-of-insanity people go? Possibly (though less likely, depending on the state), but no hospital is going to change his developmental progress.
The four different goals of corrections are retribution, deterrence, incapacitation, and rehabilitation.

There are a number of accepted reasons for the use of imprisonment. One approach aims to deter those who would otherwise commit crimes (general deterrence) and to make it less likely that those who serve a prison sentence will commit crimes after their release (individual deterrence). A second approach focuses on issuing punishment to, or obtaining retribution from, those who have committed serious crimes. A third approach encourages the personal reform of those who are sent to prison. Finally, in some cases it is necessary to protect the public from those who commit crimes

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back