LA - Lacey Fletcher 36, GRAPHIC, disabled, found dead, on couch for years, Jan'22 *Parents arrested*

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I feel bad when my cat has two poops in his litter box.

Leaving anyone/anything to rot in their own waste is cruelty. SHE HAD FECES IN HER EARS!
It’s unfathomable that they sat there and “ate lunch with her”.

Not to be graphic/crass - but that room must have smelled beyond tolerable. No way it didn’t. Feces, necrotic tissue? Nah. They didn’t just sit there and eat a ham sandwich in the equivalent of a criminally maintained ICU.
I feel like I’m in upside-down town. Opposite Day. How are people (defendants, attorney) not more bothered by this?

I suspect the horrific state Lacey was in was a relatively recent development
I don't think a human could survive for decades like that
RSBM...

Your speculations go against what the coroner actually said which is...

The coroner estimates that Lacey was sitting in that hole in the couch for her last 12 years

Anyone who has ever smelled necrotic tissue ... that's not something you can become nose blind to imo
My anxiety was so severe that i was housebound, and any place where I had a panic attack became a dangerous place, and this all happened in a matter of months for me. I can understand becoming couch or bed bound if any other place in my house became associated with panic attacks (danger) but I got treatment before I became that bad. I might have resented my parents at the time for making me leave my comfort zone but they would have had me involuntarily committed before rotting into the sofa and today I am grateful for that.

These people disgust me

One thing I can't get around is the parents assertions that 1. Lacey was of sound mind and chose to make this decision herself! what could we have done? 2. we cared for her so well! with the knowledge that there was couch foam in her stomach. IMO, this implies that either:
-Lacey was not of sound mind and should not be making her own decisions in terms of her health, and her parents knew this
-Lacey was not cared for well (which I think we can all agree to, but I'm just countering what the doc said), and was so hungry or unstimulated that she was eating nonfood items

I think people might be misunderstanding what he wrote

A human couldn't survive as bad as she was found for 12 years

Why does it matter exactly when her body started to show each symptom, though? It had to have been a very long time, since she was found emaciated.

Of course in the beginning her severe suffering was mental, if she refused to leave the couch. That would have been torturous enough for her, yet they didn't seek treatment . That could have started a decade+ before she died. All IMO.

I think it's possible that she was on the couch near-constantly for the past 12 years (looking at the infamous picture, i definitely believe it, it's a big crater and shes not even 100lbs), but may have been transferring to the commode (seen next to the couch) to do her business at the beginning. Later on, her hygiene got worse and worse, the couch was worn down and hard, and she then got those huge bedsores that slowly developed into the fatal osteomyelitis. All MOO

She didn't survive.
And we know her injuries took time to develop. Her condition didn't spontaneously devolve over a weekend.
My couch is cheap, but the upholstery can withstand years of sitting without dissolving underneath me. Unless I was so hungry I had to eat it.

Even if her parents cared for her correctly when she was a young child, it doesn't excuse them from the obvious neglect that came later.

I believe her parents thought autism was just "attitude" and over the years they started to resent their child for not behaving in a neurotypical way. They punished her, and didn't understand why she didn't change her behavior, and viewed it as spiteful.

Unfortunately, not all birth-givers love their children. And not all people should be parents. But here we are.

Something that is infuriating IMO is how the media tried to explain away Lacey’s condition early on, as if it was her fault or some rare illness was to blame. Early reports claimed she had Locked In Syndrome, something that was never verified- because her parents didn’t bother seeking medical help beyond a few doctor visits during her lifetime.

No syndrome or illness can explain away why Lacey’s parents chose to limit her care to just enough to keep her alive. I do agree with others here who believe the parents somehow blamed Lacey for not being their ideal child.

I also believe if Lacey was younger the attitude towards her death would have been markedly different. People were shocked when the medical examiner’s report came out but even then Lacey’s parents were able to finagle a lesser charge of manslaughter. In contrast the parents of little Mary Welch were both convicted of first degree murder. Similar circumstances but Mary was a baby so no wiggle room for the parents.

And yes, I realize if Lacey’s parents are given the maximum sentence of 40 years it’s a life sentence for them. I guess I’m angry that it feels like Lacey didn’t count as much as a baby would. She was just as dependent upon her parents as a 10 month old. IMO sometimes a quick plea deal isn’t worth saving taxpayer dollars; sometimes a crime as wicked as this one needs to go to trial. JMO

Rant over.

Last edited:
Something that is infuriating IMO is how the media tried to explain away Lacey’s condition early on, as if it was her fault or some rare illness was to blame. Early reports claimed she had Locked In Syndrome, something that was never verified- because her parents didn’t bother seeking medical help beyond a few doctor visits during her lifetime.

No syndrome or illness can explain away why Lacey’s parents chose to limit her care to just enough to keep her alive. I do agree with others here who believe the parents somehow blamed Lacey for not being an ideal child.

I also believe if Lacey was younger the attitude towards her death would have been markedly different. People were shocked when the medical examiner’s report came out but even then Lacey’s parents were able to finagle a lesser charge of manslaughter. In contrast the parents of little Mary Welch were both convicted of first degree murder. Similar circumstances but Mary was a baby so no wiggle room for the parents.

And yes, I realize if Lacey’s parents are given the maximum sentence of 40 years it’s a life sentence for them. I guess I’m angry that it feels like Lacey didn’t count as much as a baby would. She was just as dependent upon her parents as a 10 month old. IMO sometimes a quick plea deal isn’t worth saving taxpayer dollars; sometimes a crime as wicked as this one needs to go to trial. JMO

Rant over.
Could not agree more-- a trial with all its horrific ugliness should
See the light of day-- with photographs for all the world to see- so that the world knows
What those so called parents did to their child- this should be 2nd degree murder.
Instead it will quietly be pled as manslaughter with the punishment nowhere near
40 years

Both are reported to be 66.
Thanks!
So....
Wishing them 40 years in prison is purely symbolic.

Even 20 years might mean "Life sentence".

But let the Judge decide.
I will respect the sentence.
Not that I have any say in the matter ;)

I guess their real punishment is the shame they brought upon themselves in the community and across the country.
And even the world.

I live in Europe and this horrible case hit the news in my country when their daughter died.

JMO

Last edited:
I predict both will end up serving 5 years or less due to health issues, regardless of the actual sentences.

If so then I hope each will be the caretaker for the other… in the same manner they cared for Lacey. :mad:

I actually think they will get a sentence that exceeds a normal life expectation. I think a judge will look at those photos and picture Lacey’s torment and pain and will (properly) throw the book at them and also make an example of them—if a caregiver is overwhelmed or burned out or not up to the job, reach out for help. Their solution for an inability to understand Lacey was to torture her to death

I actually think they will get a sentence that exceeds a normal life expectation. I think a judge will look at those photos and picture Lacey’s torment and pain and will (properly) throw the book at them and also make an example of them—if a caregiver is overwhelmed or burned out or not up to the job, reach out for help. Their solution for an inability to understand Lacey was to torture her to death
I agree. To be clear I also expect a long sentence (the maximum is 40 years) and given their ages it might as well be a life sentence.

What I meant was that as they age and each of their health declines they may be released early.

I’m not convinced the parents were burned out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant