NC NC - Madalina Cojocari, 11, reported Missing Dec 2022 three Weeks After Last Seen, Cornelius, *Parents Arrested* #3

Hard to believe her mother is still in jail. How long is that going to go on?
I found two upcoming hearings, 08/19/2024 and "Other Hearing" on 12/31/2024, if that helps, though I don't understand a lot of the "legalese" and didn't see anything listed as to what the hearings are specifically about. The link to Diana Cojocari's case file is below.

I also looked up "the right to a speedy trial in North Carolina" and found from various sources that it's generally within six months for a felony. The right to a speedy trial is covered in the US Constitution (sixth amendment). But there are also other factors, such as if the defense attorney waives the right to a speedy trial and etc.

Last edited:
I think they definitely see the mother as a flight risk, especially with the knowledge of the phone calls to the cousin regarding sneaking her and MC away.
I think this investigation is now merged with a wider case involving trafficking. That would likely involve some deep undercover investigating and that can take months, if not years to get to a spot to the take down likely many individuals in a coordinated raid.
This would also suggest they think MC was trafficked and alive.
Keeping the mother secure in jail gives multiple benefits including monitoring her communications, wearing down her resolve to talk and keeping her safe from repercussions from the traffickers.
JMO

I think they definitely see the mother as a flight risk, especially with the knowledge of the phone calls to the cousin regarding sneaking her and MC away.
I think this investigation is now merged with a wider case involving trafficking. That would likely involve some deep undercover investigating and that can take months, if not years to get to a spot to the take down likely many individuals in a coordinated raid.
This would also suggest they think MC was trafficked and alive.
Keeping the mother secure in jail gives multiple benefits including monitoring her communications, wearing down her resolve to talk and keeping her safe from repercussions from the traffickers.
JMO
I also think the trafficking theory is quite plausible, and made stronger by the links between DC and drugs. Imo an addiction would be a believable reason why a mother might do something so... unbelievable. (If anyone doesn't know, DC has been linked to drugs twice so far, once when a drug dog signaled on her car and again when she was caught with drugs in jail, aside from her recorded phone calls with known drug traffickers).

February 20, 2024

CORNELIUS, N.C. (QUEEN CITY NEWS) – Madalina Cojocari has been missing for nearly a year and a half and her incarcerated mother is set for her latest court appearance this week.

Diana Cojocari and her lawyer, attorney Susan Weigand-Williams, have what is listed as an in-person arraignment hearing at the Mecklenburg County Courthouse this Friday in front of Judge Donald Cureton, Jr. during the court’s morning session, according to paperwork filed on court’s website. This follows two dispositions and an electronic warrant assignment that all took place last year. Bond was set in November for Diana for $250,000.

CORNELIUS, N.C. (WBTV) - An important development is taking place Friday in the case of Madalina Cojacari, the missing girl from Cornelius who was last seen in 2022.

Her mother is scheduled to be arraigned in a Mecklenburg County Court on charges connected to her disappearance

I can't understand what happened here.
It’s clickbait. Tomorrow DC is scheduled to be arraigned. Apparently it’s not unusual in NC to not have a speedy trial. It’s possible DC has already spent enough time in jail that exceeds any sentence given for the low level felony she’s been charged with.

IOW two years later there’s nothing new. DC will either plead guilty or not guilty tomorrow. If she pleads guilty she may walk even though Madalina is still missing.

IMO DC has had more than enough time to explain what happened to Madalina. If she cared one whit for her daughter we’d know what happened. Both these parents deserve long prison sentences but I’m afraid it won’t happen.
MOO

Diana Cojocari will be arraigned Friday, meaning the charge against her will be read and she’ll be asked how does she plea.

Channel 9’s Hunter Sáenz spoke with local high-profile defense attorney George Laughrun, who said it’d be smart for her to plead guilty to the crime knowing she’s served nearly the maximum amount of jail time already. That could mean she’d walk out of jail.

“It’s a Lifetime movie,” Laughrun said. “You couldn’t make up these facts.”

The longtime criminal defense attorney said the plot will thicken on Friday. He said a guilty plea could actually fall in her favor

Diana Cojocari, Madalina’s mother, refused to leave her jail cell Friday morning, when she was scheduled to appear across the street in the Mecklenburg County Courthouse.

A new date will be set to review her charge of failing to report a missing child, said Superior Court Judge Donald Ray Cureton Jr. during the arraignment.

“If she chooses not to come, we can’t force her to be here. So this is the outcome today,” Cureton said.

The arraignment was supposed to begin at 9:30 a.m. on Friday but the judge was still waiting on her at 10. Cojocari has been in jail since December 2022.

As 10 reporters shuffled out of the courtroom, Assistant District Attorney and Homicide Unit Chief Bill Bunting told The Charlotte Observer that what happened is “not unheard of.”

I don't understand what benefit there could be to DC in refusing to appear at the arraignment. Especially when the news articles said it's likely she could have been released from jail today, in one form or another, or only given a short additional amount of time, with a clear release date. Why would she want to remain in jail longer instead?

I don't understand what benefit there could be to her in refusing to appear at the arraignment. Especially when the news articles say she could have been released from jail, in one form or another, or only given a short additional amount of time, with a clear end date. Why would she want to remain in jail longer instead? I must be missing something here...
Arrogance? Defiance? I don't know

That could be.

Or now that I think about it, maybe there's someone or something (drugs?) in jail who she doesn't want to leave.

Or she's trying to make herself seem insane, for a possible plea later if more of the truth comes to light?

Or she's afraid of being released because she thinks someone is after her?

Or maybe her attorney wasn't there or her attorney thought the judge who was there today (if they change) would be especially unsympathetic to her?

All just wild guesses though.

I sometimes wonder, in cases where a spouse or a parent kill their partner/child in a murder that was heat of the moment, how often the perpetrator still goes through the grieving process of having lost their spouse/child. I have to assume that still happens often. If it is the case that she was involved and Madalina is no longer with us, has grief just set in? I would assume your mental state probably isn’t too strong after having over a year isolated from family/friends to do nothing but think about the loss of your child.

On the other hand, I didn’t get out of bed this morning (and still haven’t…) to do something I wanted to do, just because I was tired and didn’t feel like moving. ‍But my bed is no doubt more comfortable than hers.

I don't understand what benefit there could be to DC in refusing to appear at the arraignment. Especially when the news articles said it's likely she could have been released from jail today, in one form or another, or only given a short additional amount of time, with a clear release date. Why would she want to remain in jail longer instead?
Maybe she don't want out?

On the one hand, it seems odd she'd refuse to appear, especially if she knew she might be getting released.
Then again, maybe if she does get released, she has nowhere to go?
I doubt she can just move back home with CP, assuming he's still at the family home after he was released?

Such a weird case, and at the end of the day, no one's talking about where Madalina really went.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back