NC NC - Madalina Cojocari, 11, reported Missing Dec 2022 three Weeks After Last Seen, Cornelius, *Parents Arrested* #3

On the one hand, it seems odd she'd refuse to appear, especially if she knew she might be getting released.
Then again, maybe if she does get released, she has nowhere to go?
I doubt she can just move back home with CP, assuming he's still at the family home after he was released?
And you know, maybe it really is that simple.

To someone like me, who has never been incarcerated, it sounds like one of the worst things imaginable. But maybe everyone doesn't feel that way, especially if they've already been there for over a year and don't have great options otherwise. ???

I don't understand how someone in jail can successfully refuse to appear in court. One or more jailers should just restrain her and drag her into the courtroom if need be. If our jails and prisons allowed inmates to dictate what they will or will not do, then the system would quickly fall apart. They are already incarcerated, so the solution is to use whatever force is needed to force compliance. IMO.

I don't understand how someone in jail can successfully refuse to appear in court. One or more jailers should just restrain her and drag her into the courtroom if need be. If our jails and prisons allowed inmates to dictate what they will or will not do, then the system would quickly fall apart. They are already incarcerated, so the solution is to use whatever force is needed to force compliance. IMO.

In another case in another state, it was reported that the defendant would not come to court because he refused the required strip search. :eek:

Yeah but then what are they gonna do to them for non-compliance, throw them in jail lol?

Seriously though, my guess is the judge really didn't care enough to bother with it and chose to just go on to the next case instead. I mean, it's not like the jailed defendant is the side with the power in this scenario. If the powers-that-be wanted to, I'd think they could just go ahead and have any court proceeding anyway, and the defendant refusing to show up wouldn't make any difference.

It's more surprising to me that DC didn't want to show up for her court date. It seems to me she had everything to gain and nothing to lose. According to news reports, there was a good chance she'd even have been released that day, as was discussed earlier on this thread. All MOO

Yeah but then what are they gonna do to them for non-compliance, throw them in jail lol?

Seriously though, my guess is the judge really didn't care enough to bother with it and chose to just go on to the next case instead. I mean, it's not like the jailed defendant is the side with the power in this scenario. If the powers-that-be wanted to, I'd think they could just go ahead and have any court proceeding anyway, and the defendant refusing to show up wouldn't make any difference.

It's more surprising to me that DC didn't want to show up for her court date. It seems to me she had everything to gain and nothing to lose. According to news reports, there was a good chance she'd even have been released that day, as was discussed earlier on this thread. All MOO
RBBM.
I find this very intriguing too. I truly believe she may be scared. It's a logical explanation when others make no sense.
Whether she is actually scared or just trying to act scared for her story of events to fit, I couldn't say.

RBBM.
I find this very intriguing too. I truly believe she may be scared. It's a logical explanation when others make no sense.
Whether she is actually scared or just trying to act scared for her story of events to fit, I couldn't say.
The only thing I can make of it is that she finds her life behind bars preferable to the life she led before.

Mom's not talking now and wasn't cooperating with police at the time this all came about, which wasn't even reported until a MONTH after Madalina "went missing"

I dont extend mom the same grace/benefit of the doubt that others do. Mom knows what happened and her hands aren't squeaky clean. (My opinion only)

Arrogance? Defiance? I don't know
For one,
The only thing I can make of it is that she finds her life behind bars preferable to the life she led before.
Maybe what traffickers are doing is finding or assisting people/parents in or into drug addiction so they are dependent. Then it is easier for them to compromise their values. Diane could be hooked on the cocaine fentanyl type mixture like the one they allegedly found in her pocket in jail. Dependence of some sort may have started before as well if Diane came here from Romania in poverty. Now how did she get this mixture and is there a reason why someone might be supplying it for her and also, did she pay for it? That’s a pretty strong mix, could make one completely dependent on traffickers of drugs and other things not to mention maybe she now believes they have assosiafions within the walls presently surrounding her as well. I would tend to lean on this side since pictures previous show her daughter looking cheerful and in high spirits while in the video on the bus she looks possibly stressed out, pulling on her hair and like she almost says something to the bus driver. It makes me wonder if the child hadn’t heard things. They also have photos that are from when she was allegedly with Octavian at or near the mountains on December 2, Diane was also in the vicinity as well if I recall what I read correctly around this time which may have been the last phone images taken of Madaline? The only other relative of her mother Diane in US was allegedly Octavian who altho they said he may have been the last one with the girl appears to not be saying much and may possibly now be living and doing business in Florida. There was also talk of big money involvement including Diane, 5 mill is not just an average everyday transaction (and this is why my heart especially breaks for Madaline and feels very unsettled to say the least). I personally feel that the best thing for Diane would be to get straight and maybe offered a transfer to a safe treatment facility when she is released where someone will keep track of her. She may have severe ptsd believing herself to be in grave danger of some sort as well and is afraid to leave. If she wanted the money she could probably get out but maybe thats been taken or else she no longer wants it or possibly she was just a mule! Idk but it looks like she does not want to go back to the husband any time soon. I also think it strange that hunters found remains in the mountains they thought may be the childs and turns out they said the bones were not hers and then the whole story went silent and no info still on who’s bones they were or were not.

I don't understand how someone in jail can successfully refuse to appear in court. One or more jailers should just restrain her and drag her into the courtroom if need be. If our jails and prisons allowed inmates to dictate what they will or will not do, then the system would quickly fall apart. They are already incarcerated, so the solution is to use whatever force is needed to force

Use of force is for things like if the defendant lunges at a victim or something in the courthouse, not because one chooses not to appear before their hearing when they are already incarcerated. I think that would call for some other measure that hopefully would also take into account the surrounding circumstances In a case.

I have no sympathy for this woman, whether she’s afraid or not. I believe she knows what happened to her daughter. It’s infuriating that neither parent will admit what happened to this poor child. I just think about the boarded off (was it the dining room?) in the house and can’t help but speculate about what may have been transpiring in there.

April 8. By Mark Washburn. Cornelius Police are expected to make a public statement this week about the puzzling disappearance of Madalina Cojocari, a 12-year-old who vanished in 2022.

If Cornelius Police release additional details in the case during an event this week, it may serve to revive public interest in the case.

Patterson said, investigators are still getting tips, still pursuing leads.

Meanwhile, there is still no trace of Madalina or her whereabouts.

—A previous version of this story incorrectly listed Madalina’s age. Thursday is her 13th birthday.

CORNELIUS, N.C. — A community gathering will be held by Cornelius Police on Thursday to celebrate the 13th birthday of missing girl Madalina Cojocari, the girl who was last seen alive in November 2022.

Cornelius police placed a birthday box in their lobby for community members to write Madalina a special birthday wish or give her a card. They plan on reading the cards at Thursday's gathering, which will be held at 7 p.m. at the police department's parking lot near the Cain Center for the Arts in downtown Cornelius.

Happy Birthday, Madalina. Still holding out hope that you are safe, healthy and happy.

April 8. By Mark Washburn. Cornelius Police are expected to make a public statement this week about the puzzling disappearance of Madalina Cojocari, a 12-year-old who vanished in 2022.

If Cornelius Police release additional details in the case during an event this week, it may serve to revive public interest in the case.

Patterson said, investigators are still getting tips, still pursuing leads.

Meanwhile, there is still no trace of Madalina or her whereabouts.

—A previous version of this story incorrectly listed Madalina’s age. Thursday is her 13th birthday.

CORNELIUS, N.C. — A community gathering will be held by Cornelius Police on Thursday to celebrate the 13th birthday of missing girl Madalina Cojocari, the girl who was last seen alive in November 2022.

Cornelius police placed a birthday box in their lobby for community members to write Madalina a special birthday wish or give her a card. They plan on reading the cards at Thursday's gathering, which will be held at 7 p.m. at the police department's parking lot near the Cain Center for the Arts in downtown Cornelius.

Happy Birthday, Madalina. Still holding out hope that you are safe, healthy and happy.
I wonder if them reading out these cards means they think she might still be alive somewhere and they are hoping she will come out of hiding on her own?

I wonder if them reading out these cards means they think she might still be alive somewhere and they are hoping she will come out of hiding on her own?
From the link: They noted that a surveillance photo of some type taken on Dec. 16, 2022, on Sugar Mountain in the North Carolina highlands showed Madalina with a man who matched the description of Cojocari’s only known relative in the United States

They have evidence that she was alive after her missing date near Thanksgiving. IMO Maybe there actually is truth to mom asking her relative to smuggle herself and Madalina away?

"When we saw this, we thought we would just stop and send her some love, and just support her wherever she is, and hope she gets a safe return," said Eileen Hume, a neighbor in the area.

It's the second birthday celebration Madalina has missed in as many years. The event featured police officers reading birthday cards and notes left for Madalina by community members.

"I hope wherever she is, she's safe," Hume said. "I hope she comes home. I know that all the people that love her, miss her. And as a community, we all miss her too. You want a girl to come home."

On the section About the case :
The search warrants said Palmiter told investigators that he had not seen the girl for a week before he left to drive to Michigan.

Ok, so where was he for a whole week before before he left to drive to Michigan ?? A better question , where did he think Madelina was for that whole week ?? What went on for the week before he left ?? Palmiter has no business being out of jail !!

Christopher Palmiter appeared in court Friday and pleaded
not guilty." Trial date has been set for May 20 for charges of not reporting Madalina missing. There was a grand jury indictment on April 15. Diana Cojocari will also have to appear for another arraignment, but date has not yet been set.

CHARLOTTE — Nearly a year and a half since anyone has seen Madalina Cojocari, her stepfather appeared in court to defend himself in Mecklenburg County on Friday morning.

Palmiter pleaded not guilty to the felony charge of failure to report a child who has disappeared.

Flanked by a bodyguard and attorney during his walk from the courthouse doors to this car, Palmiter faced questioning from Bruno (WSOC reporter) who demanded answers about Madalina’s whereabouts.

“Your daughter has been missing for months are you worried about her? What do you have to say to all the people following this case? Why nothing to say, your daughter is missing?” Bruno asked as he walked next to Palmiter.

A superseding indictment for Failure to Report Disappearance of a Child to Law Enforcement was filed on April 15, 2024. Click HERE to read a copy of the indictment.

Palmiter’s jury trial date is slated for May 20. In April, a grand jury gathered for the case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back