Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing from a bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
My heart hurts so much for his loved ones. It was difficult for me to watch the videos, especially when he fell. I can’t imagine how hard that is for them. I would love to see a miracle here.

So much for having his back!
They tried though. From what I understood, one of his friends wanted to go with him but he was prevented from leaving. I think they were paying the tab, and by the time they were able to get out, Riley was gone. Then they called him and Riley answered saying he was going back to the hotel.
Furthermore I read in one of the articles that the bouncers didn't want Riley hanging outside.

I don't necessarily see the actual time of day as relevant. A bar could be "late" in cutting someone off at 10:30 a.m. if they're already way overserved. I'm not denying the role of personal responsibility here, but with as drunk as he looks in those videos, they WERE late in cutting him off, no matter what the clock said. I'm not laying blame on anyone for what looks like a terrible accident, but how I wish he'd been put in a cab and sent back to his hotel instead of whatever happened here! As the mom of a kid about to leave for college, this hurts my heart so much.
From what his mother has said, they went to many bars that night, someone else might've ordered his drinks at the bar, and appears as if when he tried to get more drinks he was cut off. I've tried to take keys and call cabs for drunks and it doesn't always end with them wanting to get in a cab, sometimes it ends with the cops. The bartenders might be a bit desensitized but they had no idea cutting him off when they did would lead to this. It would be hard to prove the gross negligence required in dram shop liabilities. They might share some cause but only a little. No doubt, this is an extremely sad situation. He just wanted to go and have a good time in Nashville...

While the laws protecting bars from prosecution are pretty strong, i.e. adults have responsibility for themselves, there are many mitigating factors involved here that may cause a serious problem for Luke Bryan's bar.
1.) If he was in fact "overserved" who overserved him?
2.) If he was roofied, as some of his frat brothers suggest, is there surveillance video of him and the people near his drinks.
3.) This young man was more than overserved. He was staggering, falling, and literally bouncing off of walls. Anyone with half a conscience would make sure they have someone with them to insure their safety and the safety of others.
4.) The biggest problem is if it is true that they threw him out a back door and refused to let any of his friends come with him, that could really open them up to some serious liability. It is almost as if they did this on purpose to be cruel. They probably laughed about it (maybe still are.)

Stay away from Nashville!

Watching these videos is heartbreaking and alarming...his poor family. I'll never understood why kids get THIS drunk
Someone else mentioned maybe he was roofied. Another theory is if he's taking any medications that may negatively interact with alcohol. I know that my husband takes Vyvanse for his ADHD and one or two drinks affect him way more than before he was medicated. We didn't figure this out until the first time we visited Las Vegas after he started medication.

While the laws protecting bars from prosecution are pretty strong, i.e. adults have responsibility for themselves, there are many mitigating factors involved here that may cause a serious problem for Luke Bryan's bar.
1.) If he was in fact "overserved" who overserved him?
2.) If he was roofied, as some of his frat brothers suggest, is there surveillance video of him and the people near his drinks.
3.) This young man was more than overserved. He was staggering, falling, and literally bouncing off of walls. Anyone with half a conscience would make sure they have someone with them to insure their safety and the safety of others.
4.) The biggest problem is if it is true that they threw him out a back door and refused to let any of his friends come with him, that could really open them up to some serious liability. It is almost as if they did this on purpose to be cruel. They probably laughed about it (maybe still are.)

Stay away from Nashville!
That last part tho!

Many Nashvillians share the sentiment, "stay away!" Tourists aren't worth the revenue to the residents.

I think it can be hard to tell how strong a drink is if you are already tipsy and in a new/different city. For example in NYC the pours are SO much stronger than back home in Kansas. I've gotten too drunk on accident while staying within my number-of-drinks limit I stick to. I can see something similar happening in Nashville, where the nightlife is so popular.

He also could be eating less or different than normal if he's traveling.

Watching these videos is heartbreaking and alarming...his poor family. I'll never understood why kids

Someone else mentioned maybe he was roofied. Another theory is if he's taking any medications that may negatively interact with alcohol. I know that my husband takes Vyvanse for his ADHD and one or two drinks affect him way more than before he was medicated. We didn't figure this out until the first time we visited Las Vegas after he started medication.
My daughter came home a few times like this and went missing for hours from overdoing alcohol. We even had a few ER trips for Alcohol poisoning. Very Very Frightening for this Mom.

it is the bartender's duty not to overserve.
From my experience they overserve too often, or maybe they just aren't paying attention when a group keeps ordering drinks. It's the responsibility of the drinker to know their limits, unfortunately many young adults don't, once their judgment is impairment they just keep drinking. IMO 21 is too young

Moo...I who served alcohol for many years in the service industry...disagree with being held responsible. First the drinkers are adults they choose to drink, second until they stand up and start staggering, the server does not see how they are effected. Third server does not know if other drugs are involved. I did get fired from one bar, the patron had fallen asleep with head on table, I refused to wake him to see if he wanted another drink. So my red line is I will not force alcohol consumption on a patron....moo
I'm trying to see where "overserved" was first used in this case. Is this the word selected by friends/family instead of saying "drunk" or is this actually what the establishment said? I doubt if an establishment would say he was "overserved" and seem to place themselves liable. I've never heard of someone being booted for being "overserved." In spite of all of that, this is a sad and scary situation.

Sharing this MSM article...I've extracted and highlighted the details surrounding his disappearance Friday night. (bbm)

Riley Strain, a 22-year old student at the University of Missouri, was in town for what was supposed to be a fun weekend for a formal along with 200 other members of his fraternity. But unfortunately, at around 10pm on Friday, Strain got separated from the rest of his group at Luke Bryan’s 32 Bridge bar, and hasn’t been seen since.

According to posts on social media, Strain’s phone was last tracked to an area near Public Square Park, a few blocks from Broadway and near a bridge crossing the Cumberland River, at 9:53 PM on Friday. But since then, the phone has been shut off and Strain hasn’t been seen or heard from since.
Watch that heavily-circulated 43 second surveillance video closely. The one from the intersection of Gay St and 1st Avenue North. Something caught my eye. Dude in a white hoodie shows up at the intersection right before Riley but then just stands there (and appears to be keeping an eye on Riley). He stays put while others cross the street. Seems to check behind him on a "buddy", even steps to the right to make room as he approaches. Then as his buddy catches up, they cross the street. I'm telling you, something is up with those two. I'd check to see if they're in any of the other surveillance footage or even at L. Bryan's bar.

I'm trying to see where "overserved" was first used in this case. Is this the word selected by friends/family instead of saying "drunk" or is this actually what the establishment said? I doubt if an establishment would say he was "overserved" and seem to place themselves liable. I've never heard of someone being booted for being "overserved." In spite of all of that, this is a sad and scary situation.
Yeah, I can't imagine the bar using that word. There seems to be an effort to place the blame on the establishment, which of course may in fact be somewhat on the mark. The fact of the matter is though, he's likely dead because he left the bar alone. It's dangerous enough under normal circumstances, but much more so when there's water nearby.

I found this article stating.. “The bartender said he had been overserved,” Strain’s stepfather Chris Whiteid told CNN affiliate WZTV. “He was trying to pay his tab.”https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/13/us/missing-missouri-student-nashville/index.html

I've also seen it used in headlines for nypost.

I don't think I was the first to say it, but I said it because I'm from the South and we prefer polite euphemisms like "overserved." I wasn't thinking of it in a liability context!

I think it can be hard to tell how strong a drink is if you are already tipsy and in a new/different city. For example in NYC the pours are SO much stronger than back home in Kansas. I've gotten too drunk on accident while staying within my number-of-drinks limit I stick to. I can see something similar happening in Nashville, where the nightlife is so popular.

He also could be eating less or different than normal if he's traveling.
Yep and he’s a skinny guy, fast metabolism. One of my best friends went thru a period of being way too skinny, he was like 125 at 6’1, no lie. He came home once after having two many White Russians and he was so hammered he couldn’t stand up.

If you don’t eat much or at all while drinking, you’ll get drunk really fast…then you may feel so warm and fuzzy that you keep drinking without realizing how quickly that can spiral.

I feel so bad for this poor kid and hope he’s a John Doe somewhere in a hospital just yet to be identified. The river nearby being so close is scary.

I’m new to this case…did his buddies continue to call him or go out to look for him once he didn’t show up at the hotel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SoCal Greg